Pilot News: The Selection Finds Its Star, The Killing Alum Joins Ironside and More Castings

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Pilot News The Selection The CWThe Killing’s Brent Sexton, Better Off Ted‘s Andrea Anders and Hart of Dixie‘s Claudia Lee are among the latest to land roles this pilot season. Plus: The CW’s The Selection makes a crucial selection.

RELATED | Pilots 2013: Your Guide to This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Per our sister site Deadline….

* The CW’s The Selection has selected Israeli actress Yael Grobglas (photo, far left) to play the lead role of America Singer, a working class lass chosen by lottery to compete with 25 other women for the Royal Prince’s hand and become the futuristic nation’s next queen.

* On NBC’s Ironside reboot, Brent Sexton will play the former partner of Blair Underwood’s titular police detective. Blaming himself for the shooting that put Ironside in a wheelchair, Gary is struggling to move on with his life.

* Andrea Anders landed the female lead in Divorce: A Love Story, ABC‘s multi-cam comedy about a recently divorced couple who can’t seem to stay out of each others’ lives.

* Secret Circle/Friday Night Lights alum Grey Damon has joined The CW’s Oxygen as Grayson, a guy who crushes on Aimee Teegarden’s character (who in turn is crushing on extraterrestrial transfer student).

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

* Connor Buckley (Deception‘s Flashback Julian) and Claudia Lee (Hart of Dixie‘s Magnolia, far right in photo) have been added to Bill Lawrence’s I Suck at Girls sitcom adaptation for Fox.

* CBS’ Hostages has cast Billy Brown (The Following, Sons of Anarchy) as Archer, an ex-military type who plays an integral role in abducting the family of a surgeon (Toni Collette) about to operate on the President of the United States.

Comments (14)

• really excited about the Selection. I hope it gets picked up!

Comment by Elyse – February 25, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will never watch a show with a main character called American Singer…based off a book that no one seems to care about.

Comment by Josh – February 25, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s America, but I agree. IDK why they’re insisting on airing this crap that is obviously gonna flop big time.

Comment by D – February 25, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s actually a very good book – and I can already tell this show will screw it up big time.

Comment by lariet50 – February 25, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is one of those books that I WANTED to like, but I just don’t love. It’s perfectly okay. There’s just not a lot THERE. The concept is great, so I actually think the TV show could be better than the book. But America Singer is a totally cheesy name.

Comment by Jane – February 25, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Besides the fact that America Singer is a painfully lousy name (along with all of the other names, apparently…), it sounds like a cross between THG, Divergent, and the Bachelor, and these “jumping on the bandwagon… but twist! Because of yadda yadda it’s totally different!” novels usually make me want to claw my eyes out. Not to mention, any book whose author and her agent are juveniles when it comes to taking criticism in stride and opt to air said juvenile grievances on the public forum… well, I just can’t be bothered to take anything they say or publish seriously.

Comment by Emily – February 25, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think we’ll be okay – this pilot isn’t going anywhere. It is (as Emily noted) another of the ‘let’s jump on the bandwagon with a twist – Bachelor, Hunger Games, on and on. “Me too” television programming. I can’t imagine CW green-lighting The Selection’ or ‘Blink’ in May. If they do, I’ll be stunned, but that’s what makes this fun to watch. We’ll get some right, we’ll get some wrong.

CW needs three or four pilots-to-series for next season. Probably three for the fall, and one hold-over until winter’14. I’m betting on ‘The Originals’, ‘Oxygen’ and ‘The Hundred’ or ‘Company Town’ for fall – ‘Tomorrow People’ (with title change) for winter.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 26, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow my eyes completely skipped over that until i read your comment, thats how bad the name is.

Comment by Alan – February 26, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooo! Does this mean Hart of Dixie is getting cancelled?

Comment by Alice – February 25, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey Damon! So hot!

Comment by Beth Ann – February 25, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hart of Dixie is still a bubble show..a renewals 50/50 at this point even tho its one of my faves but Claudia Lee isn’t a big part of the show anyways. I like her as Magnolia but wouldn’t be upset if she isn’t a part of next season..if there is a next season.

Comment by Jade – February 25, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey Damon is a freak of nature..so his casting on Oxygen is perfect!..I have to admit the CW has some pretty cool pilots in the works. I’m really excited for Oxygen and Tomorrow People. Hopefully one or both get picked up by the network.

Comment by Jade – February 25, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love andrea anders but my god that sounds like a horrible, contrived story idea, i shall pass on that.

Comment by Alan – February 26, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I love Andrea as well – however, when I first read the logline of the pilot for ‘Divorce: Love Story’, it didn’t catch my eye. Also, it is multi-camera, so I’ve seen similar shows along this vein fail in the past. It is a tall hill for this pilot to climb.

However, this one now has Andrea and Pamela Fryman (HIMYM) directing, so maybe the two ladies can click and turn this pilot into something really good. Pamela would only be directing the pilot {I assume} – if pilot-goes-to-series, they’d need to hire a new director. But the goal is to get the pilot green-lighting, and then go from there.

The casting is key – if they can hire a top notch comedy actor with good chemistry w/Andrea, it might work. If anyone can make a comedy/relationship pilot work, it is Pamela.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 26, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post