Glee Star Jayma Mays Makes a Surprise Return to CBS' How I Met Your Mother

Get More: Casting News

himym_jaymamaysAs How I Met Your Mother nears its final season, the CBS comedy has been inviting back faces from the past.

The latest returning guest star: Jayma Mays as the coat check girl!

Mays resurfaces in the March 18 episode, in which “future versions of Ted and Barney try to convince Ted to go see Robots Versus Wrestlers,” per the episode description. “Meanwhile, Marshall challenges Robin to a dance-off.”

The Glee star last appeared in the Season 1(!) episode “Okay Awesome.” Ted briefly flirted with her at the nightclub, but his voiceover let viewers know that she was not his future wife.

HIMYM fans, are you excited for Mays’ surprise return? Why do you think she’s back? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (42)

• YES! So excited for Jayma to be back on HIMYM even for one episode! So glad she’s moving away from glee and guest starring on other shows! She’s so much better than glee

Comment by Lauren – February 25, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Preach.

Comment by Sam – February 25, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The more Jayma on Glee the better. She’s been killing it in the past few episode. I’m still laughing at her urban dictionary definition of Diva “she is not a trick ass ho and she does not sweat the haters”

Comment by dude – February 25, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh I totally agree, I still love her on glee even though that show is going downhill but I’m so glad she’s on different projects now!

Comment by Lauren – February 25, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s perfect for Glee. She can do lots of things and her acting is explored to all her potential, which she can handle. She’s a great actress and she’s great on Glee. If you don’t like Glee, fine. Now saying to actors and actresses back away from that show, then please GTOH.

Comment by July – February 25, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • File this under completely-random-but-awesome news

Comment by Becca – February 25, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Remember before Glee when Jayma Mays was, like, the ultimate random guest star? Cute here, lovely on Heroes, and hilarious on Pushing Daisies (plus I never saw it but heard fun things about her on Ugly Betty as well).

Comment by J – February 25, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was the obstacle between Betty and Christopher Gorham so I wouldn’t say her arc on that show was “fun” she was kind of hated. She was amazing on Red Eye. LOVE her in that movie.

Comment by dude – February 25, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally forgot about her in Red Eye! Loved her there.

I heard she played her Betty role with a lot of aplomb…like, they want you to hate that obstacle, and she really made you just HATE her. :)

Comment by J – February 25, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw her on Ugly Betty and it totally made my life.

Comment by Olivia – February 25, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was the best thing about Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Actually, she’s pretty much the best thing about anything she’s in.

Comment by Jeff – March 26, 2013 08:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Which may tell u something about the projects she agrees on!

Comment by brutony – March 26, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d thinking this will likely just be a flashback to Ted’s date with her, sort of like they’ve done with Laura Prepon a few times since her episodes… It could easily be less than 30 seconds screen time.

Comment by John – February 25, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why would ted try to convince himself to see robots vs wrestlers?

Comment by ollie – February 25, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree Lauren, so glad she’s moving away from glee. That show is a train wreck now. You know what would be awesome? If Ted and her rekindle that moment when they were flirting in that episode. I’d like to see what Ted’s reaction is when he sees her again. I’m excited for this!:)

Comment by Kristyn – February 25, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If by trainwreck you mean, better than it has been in a while, then yes.

Comment by dude – February 25, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s the mother

Comment by Joel – February 25, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “but his [Ted's] voiceover let viewers know that she was not his future wife”

Comment by Isaac – February 25, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would Ted try to convince Ted to go see Robots vs Wrestlers, this sounds oddly meta.

Comment by Mike – February 25, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it’s not really a surprise anymore, is it?

Comment by Abe Froman – February 25, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that plot coupled with the utterly random returning guest star makes me think the writers are manatees, seriously it just sounds like they have a random plot generator set up in the office.
    nonetheless im still interested in seeing her back, im was really annoyed that we never go to see the date, here and josh radnor had great chemistry and really good back and forth.

Comment by Alan – February 25, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Manatees write for Family Guy-I have no idea what form of life have been writing for HIMYM, esp the past few seasons!

Comment by brutony – February 26, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • glad someone got the reference. yeah some lesser form of life has definitely been writing the show for a while now

Comment by Alan – February 26, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I got it right away, lol! I do think the writers the past few seasons have never seen the first few! Did they forget he’s supposed to be searching for the mother?

Comment by brutony – February 26, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay Awesome is one of my favorite episodes!

Comment by Babybop – February 25, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!!! Love her!!

Comment by Meg – February 25, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought she was cute back in season 1, and always wanted to see her again.. but it’s starting to get annoying and it’s just pointless how they keep bringing back past characters when they don’t mean anything in the end/aren’t the mother. I think the Slutty Pumpkin should have stayed a mystery. I love Victoria, but bringing her back just for her&Ted to breakup again was stupid. They are bringing the Captain back, who meant something during the horrible Zoey arc, but there is not point for him now; and now this? Just more proof to me that this once amazing show has no stories left to tell.

Comment by Courtney – February 25, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Especially the part about the Slutty Pumpkin.

Comment by Potato strong – February 25, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i didnt mind the return of the captain since it actually advanced lilly’s story but the rest i agree with.

Comment by Alan – February 26, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually kind of understand the bringing back old characters. Victoria, the Slutty Pumpkin, etc were all girls in Ted’s past that he would be wondering about forever if he didn’t get closure. I mean, come on. It’s Ted. He wouldn’t be ready to finally settle down if he didn’t settle his feelings for all of the girls in his past. I feel like it really is part of his journey to meet the mother.

Comment by Leena – February 25, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Okay Awesome, but the series is starting to feel weird. The episodes are kind of thrown together and pointless, rather than feeling uplifting/hilarious/interesting. :\

Comment by Little Scarf Girl – February 25, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t remember her on Pushing Daisies but I loved to hate “Charlie” on Betty.

Comment by Carol C – February 26, 2013 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope that she ends up being named “Charlie” on this show too (she was not only “Charlie” on Ugly Betty, but on Heroes).

Comment by Bryan Irrera – February 26, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PINEAPPLE?!

Comment by Jackie H – February 26, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU! You know – this has crossed my mind. I haven’t brought it up because I’ve been afraid to – I thought everyone would think I was crazy, but since you brought it up, I would really love to see a return for Trudy/Danica McKellar. Next to Victoria and Stella [and of course Robin], Trudy is my favorite ‘Ted-girl’.

Trudy made a couple of appearances [S1.10 Pineapple Incident & S3.3 Third Wheel], and was referenced a couple of times by Marshall/Lilly [S5.15 Rabbit or Duck] and by Ted on phone [S7.7 Noretta]. I’d like to see Victoria and Stella return at least one more time before the series ends, and my hope would be for Trudy to return as well…perhaps even a final resolution as to where the Pineapple came from [even though Bays/Thomas mentioned in the script that Ted never did find out where that Pineapple came from].

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 26, 2013 08:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • could jayma’s character be connected to the mother? what you think?

Comment by OddType – February 28, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hope so, but probably not!

Comment by brutony – February 28, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smurfy!

Comment by Phil – March 18, 2013 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whats that supposed to mean-Smurfy?

Comment by brutony – March 19, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well folks it’s 12:05 in the morning on Tuesday March 19th and I’m here to tell you that none of this happened on the March 18th episode of How I Met Your Mother which centered on whether or not Barney would sell his apartment at Robin’s request and how much time Lilly’s new job was taking away from needy Marshall. Plus a nice sub plot taking a gentle poke at Downton Abbey.

Comment by Phil – March 18, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did the ep description in TV Guide say it was supposed to air this past Mon? Needy Marshall? What about Baby Marvin? Geez, sometimes I think theres 5 babies on this show! This has gone on WAYYYY, too long!

Comment by brutony – March 19, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post