Castle Recap: 'Ready to Play Spy?'

Castle Season 5 Recap HuntThis week on ABC’s Castle, Rick went rogue in the name of tracking down Alexis — but what he found instead was someone who’s been missing from his life for decades.

VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Has an Update on Castle‘s Season 6 Renewal Outlook

‘I’M GETTING MY DAUGHTER BACK’ | As Rick tries to process last week’s big reveal — that Alexis and Sara are being held in Paris — FBI agent Harris says the next step is to acquire the necessary “permissions” from the U.S. embassy there to continue their hunt abroad. And that does not fly with Rick: “Our daughters are out there right now, they need our help, right now.” When Rick relates to Kate how scared Alexis sounded on the phone, she grabs his hand to assure, “We’re not giving up yet.” A ransom demand comes in: 15 million Euros, which Mr. El-Masri’s brother-in-law will hand off in a drop. Rick, Kate, Harris et al watch via security cameras as the exchange is made en Paris… though only Sara is released. When Kate reports that the girls were separated after the escape attempt, Rick assumes the worst: Alexis is of no value anymore. As he goes to (allegedly) share with Martha the news, Harris tells Beckett that with one girl released, his job now is to “manage expectations.” Au contraire, she retorts — I have a murder to solve.

Kate, though, is at a loss where to start, so Espo sends her to be with Castle, saying, “He needs you.” Thing is, Castle never went home, his mother says. Martha rings Rick, who lies about being with Beckett, as she realizes his passport is gone. “I’m getting my daughter back,” he declares, from Paris.

MOVING TARGET | “Liam Neeson? Dude’s barely Ashley Judd,” Esposito quips about Castle’s mission to find his Taken, Missing daughter. Beckett says she is going to stay put rather than expend time to travel to and rummage around a city where she has no jurisdiction. (For Caskett fans, unsatisfying, yes; but logically? Surprisingly sound for a TV show.) Castle uses a Paris contact to enlist Henri, a jack-of-all-trades to find Alexis. Henri has his tech guy analyze the Skype call, narrowing its source to a building above a restaurant within eight blocks of a certain church. With that lead, they find the vacant office space — as well as a hidden mic that Henri uses that to get in touch with the kidnappers and arrange a meet in the forest.

In NYC, Beckett interrogates kidnapper Henson’s girlfriend, who’s obstinate to say the least: “Listen bitch, I don’t talk to cops.” Kate uses a swift kick to send the snot-nose flying, bellowing, “My partner’s daughter is missing, and you are in my way!” Led to Henson’s apartment, they find a computer on which there were surveillance photos of Alexis. “She was the target,” Beckett realizes.

RELATED | Castle Exclusive: Mad Men Beauty Cast as a Woman From [Spoiler]‘s Past

HOW I MET MY FATHER | In the forest, Henri double-crosses Castle, explaining, “I wouldn’t have taken the job if I knew who your daughter really was.” A confused Castle is about to be executed when several shots ring out, leaving all the baddies dead. JAMES BROLIN, NATHAN FILLION The grey-haired man seen in sketches from the farmhouse and Henson’s apartment approaches Rick, saying they need to get going. Rick starts to take a call from Kate, reporting that Alexis was the target, when “Jackson Hunt” grabs and shoots his cell. “I’m the good guy,” the stranger insists, reminding Rick, “You might wanna pick up your $3 million briefcase.”

At his apartment, “Jackson” is contacted by the mastermind behind all of this — a Carmichaels Industries foe KGB legend named Volkov. “It is time to end things. A life for a life,” the Russian tells his enemy. “So,” Rick asks, “this is about you?” “[Alexis] is my granddaughter,” the man reveals. “Rick, I’m your father.”

Castle’s dad relates how he and Martha met, immediately after which he got called away on his next mission. He also shares that he and Rick met before, when Rick was 10 and his dad handed him a copy of Casino Royale at a library. “That book made me want to become a writer,” Rick shares. Dad also “greased the wheels at the CIA” when Rick needed access for his novels, and has kept tabs on the fam all these years. But now Volkov, escaped from prison, wants to avenge his wife’s death.

SPY GAMES | Noting that the only way to free Alexis is via direct assault, Castle’s father asks for an assist: “What do you say, kid? You’ve been playing cop for years…. Ready to play spy?” Soon into his leg of the plan, Rick is “caught” by Volkov’s men, then brought upstairs where he reunites with Alexis. Volkov takes Rick’s walkie and taunts his adversary on the other end. Rick’s dad has the last laugh, though, triggering an explosive in the walkie that kills Volkov and creates enough commotion for Castle to blast open Alexis’ cage with a cool gadget watch and then “never stop running,” as diretced by his dad in a flashback to them plotting all of this out.

But at the end of that prep session, Rick realized his father will then be in the wind. “We just met… I have a lot of questions,” he laments. “I need more time.” Alas, there’s no time to be had. But before they part ways to launch their attack, Dad says, “I want you to know, son, I’ve always been proud of you. Always.”

Back in NYC, Rick and Alexis are met with hugs by Kate and Martha. “I’m so glad you’re OK,” Kate tells her man. Then: “Please don’t do anything like that without me again.” “I won’t,” Rick warmly avows.

Just moments after Alexis wondered if her grandfather made it out OK, Rick is pointed to a package, inside of which he finds a copy of Casino Royale. Turning to Martha, he smiles, “Mom, there’s something I want to tell you….”

What did you think of the thrilling “Hunt”? Did you like James Brolin as Castle’s dad? Anyone else feel this should/could have been a three-parter?

Want scoop on Castle? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. They HAVE to flesh out the character of Castle’s dad more. I was so interested in it! James Brolin was excellent. A really great episode!

• asdf says:

Not a fan of Brolin, but he was magnificent, and I’d love to see more of him. My idea? Next year’s two-parter includes him as the obligatory Fed working with Castle and Beckett, forcing Castle to pretend not to know him publicly even as he gets to know his father privately.

This was a great episode overall– though it lacks the emotional intensity of the first part, and there was very little Alexis this time. The first part is probably best castle episode ever. This one was excellent, but not at that level. With all the moving parts plot-wise, that’s plenty good enough.

• Ken says:

This was one of the most intense and exciting episodes, James Bronlin was perfect for this part, I hope we see more of him in the future

• Karen says:

read somewhere Brolin and Streisand having problems, so maybe he needs more work! He was interesting as the father. hope they bring back.

2. TaMara says:

James Brolin is still a very, very handsome man. Best episode of Castle ever, I think. Tears flowed.

3. Nicole says:

Albeit a bit quieter than prior two parters, but this was absolutely incredible and I enjoyed it immensely. It gave just the right amount of layers to start peeling into Castle’s backstory. Bravo Castle cast and crew!

4. cee see says:

Best Castle EVER…..OK, second best after the one where Rick and Kate get together. loved Brolin as his dad, perfect casting. Hope wr see him again!

• Christy says:

I agree!! Definitely one of their best! I kept it on my DVR so I could watch it again.

Someone warned me not to watch the commercial for the 2nd part and I’m glad I didn’t. I was completely blindsided by the dad thing! So great. I also laughed at the Chuck villain name, that was awesome.

5. ollie says:

LOVED EVERTHING IN THIS EP. so many great caskett moments . kate being such a badass when kicking the chair out from under the gf. great casting in james (so many funny interactions with castle) as the dad hope they can get him back before the end of this season.

6. Jennifer says:

Awesome Loved it, Kept me guessing! This is why I love CASTLE!!

• asdf says:

Honestly? I guessed that Henri would turn on Castle (the scene with him on his knees avoiding execution by the surprise appearance of an ally happened last year). I guessed that the walkie-talkie was rigged (the Mossad used this trick to kill one of the Munich terrorists). I guessed that Alexis was the target, because they were too adamant that it was Sarah. Thanks to ABC spoiling that Brolin was the father, I knew that Papa Castle was both the cause of, and the solution to, Alexis’s abduction. And obviously nobody seriously believed that Alexis or Castle would actually die.

This show isn’t about big surprises, it’s about execution. And boy did they deliver this time! Brolin was great, Fillion and Quinn were fantastic (especially in part 1). This was an episode about the love of a father for his child (with Fillion’s performance helping us to see what Brolin’s poker-faced character wouldn’t/couldn’t say about his own feelings). The journey was phenomenal– the fact that the twists and turns were pretty predictable helped rather than hurt the story.

(BTW kudos to Andrew Marlowe for not insulting our intelligence by pretending that Molly was being cut from the show or otherwise trying to artificially amp up the suspense. Other shows have tried this and it comes off as amateur hour. Instead, he focused on the characters and what they were feeling. Well played, sir.)

And yes I want Brolin back!

7. Elsol69 says:

Loved James Brolin… Just enough of Castle’s humor to make you believe that he was Castle’s father and had spent time looking in in his life. Best two-parter since season 2… And I am ready for another Castle-Poppa episode.

8. The Kaibosh says:

Disappointingly uneven and just plain lacking in anything believable. It was like watching Sarah Michelle Geller on a boat in front of cheap green screen. Its supposed to be compelling but its not. It was just dumb.D+. Maybe next year.

• HRG says:

You must have watched a different show!

• Shuayb says:

I agree with you in that it looked so fake, him standing in ‘Paris’. Castle does so well so surely Marlowe could have found a way to film these scenes in Paris or use better effects. If The CW could have afforded to send Gossip Girl to France to film a few eps, Surely they could have sent a small crew and those few actors to shoot the scenes there.

• Alichat says:

Molly Quinn and Nathan’s stuntman, Paul, filmed in Paris for 5 days. That was him running with her up to the American embassy. Why Nathan didn’t go to Paris, I have no idea. But I agree, the green screen looked awful.

On another note, was bummed that Christopher Heyerdahl’s character Marcus from Twilight…..uh..I mean Jacque Henri turned the tables on Castle. I would have liked to have seen him again.

• taliesin says:

The second unit was probably filming those scenes in Paris while the first unit was in the US filming. Nathan couldn’t be in both places at once. There’s just no time to have him in both places.
          Castle has a 9 day shooting schedule. By the time you factor in editing, effects, voice over work, and so, on a single episode can take around 3 work weeks to get ready to air. Sending Nathan to Paris would have just delayed the whole process even further and they would have missed Feb sweeps.

• Alan says:

i assumed the same myself, im sure if they had a longer production schedule for individual episodes then nathan would have been able to go to paris, as it was molly was only able to go because they limited her scenes in the second part by the looks of it.

• asdf says:

Agree that the green screen looked phoney. But great episode otherwise.

• Russ says:

It was better than the SMG boat disaster, but still obviously fake. I have been very disappointed with Castle this season, I missed the last few episodes but wanted to watch the two parter because they are always good. So I read re-caps and realized nothing had happened in those episodes. The storyline moves to slow for me, and It feels like Castle has lost its spark. I’m out.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Are you commenting on the quality of Ringer? I greatly enjoyed that show.

9. Leigh says:

This episode had so much going on and it really brought the entire two-part episode together in the end! I was skeptical about James Brolin but he more than exceeded my expectations. I love how this, like the previous episodes, answered many questions and opened up so many more possibilities. I mean we all knew Alexis was going to be okay, but the way they did everything was so wonderful. Great Episode and I can’t wait til the next time we see Jackson Hunt (who’s name does sound made up:)).

• asdf says:

It sounded like the name of one of the characters in Rick’s books. I think it’s the rhythm of the names. Castle likes having polysyllabic first names and monosyllabic last names. Jameson Rook, Derrick Storm, Nikki Heat, Clara Strike. These are Dickensian names that reference their role in the story: Strike and Storm are action-packed operatives, Heat is a euphemism for the police but also a reference to sexiness, and of course in chess a “rook” is another word for the “castle”. Jackson Hunt references his role in the hunt for alexis.

Bonus points if they’d thought to name him James or Roger Hunt instead. Fake name, perfect for his son’s alter ego: James’s son “JameSON Rook”, or Roger as a reference to Martha. But well thought out anyway, and Jackson does sound cooler.

I’d love to see him again. I know Streisand is a fan, so hopefully she can talk her hubby into some cameos.

• asdf says:

Ooooh fridge brilliance. I take back what I said about the first name. Jackson…. “Jack” is a whiskey, just like Jameson. OK good job Marlowe.

10. cmaglaughlin says:

Part one rocked. Part two-disjointed, disappointing and too “techie.” Not exactly credible, and without everybody back in NY, not really “Castle.” The last 20 minutes went way too fast. Nice try, though, but part two TANKED!

• asdf says:

Weaker, certainly, but didn’t tank. Less focus on people and more focus on the mechanics of the plot.

• cmaglaughlin says:

Tanked! Thud! Crapped out! Fizzled! You had to be incredulous about French spies and technology. You HAD to realize Brolin was his father way before Castle heard it. The actual rescue of Alexis must have been conjured up by the writers after they had smoked some real bad weed. Beckett copying Castle’s interrogation methods was lame. The two parter should have been at LEAST three, in order to avoid the rush near the end. When technology is a substitute for human engineering and insight in order to solve a dilemma, you get what you got. Premature, under-cooked, too much icing, and a rush to put it on the table. No thanks tankards!

11. John DeMayo says:

Absolutely incredible episode. When Castle pulls out all the stops, it can really compete right up there with the best shows on TV. Can we get Nathan Fillion an Emmy nomination, please?

12. AyA says:

Wonderful episode and the casting of Brolin as Castle’s dad was perfect – you can tell where Castle would have gotten his charm from

13. Alyssa says:

I actually freaked out when they said Volkov because of Chuck. And James Brolin was INCREDIBLE. He needs to come back to the show. Immediately.

14. Katie says:

Sorry but the Caskett moments were terrible . I know I’m going to get mobbed by the people who think the show can do no wrong, but the relationship Caskett have is painful to watch. Castle comes back and no emotion at the end, and what is wrong with their kisses and lighting. This show needs to invest in better lighting or something. I don’t know how long I can keep going, the way they’re destroying this amazing relationship. Now I kind of wish they hadn’t gotten together because this is just pathetic. They don’t even look like a couple, and I’m getting sick and tired of it.

And if anyone says how this show isn’t about the sex scenes and kissing or whatever excuses you have; I’m not asking for that, all I’m asking for is SHOW me that these two are a couple, there’s nothing there, the hugs are lame, the pecks have no life, I don’t know…. It’s just sad what Caskett has turned into. It really is.

• edensongbird says:

It’s not that the show can do no wrong, it’s that in THIS episode couply moments would have been obnoxious or distasteful. I do not understand why so many people were calling for them to be all over each other when his priority was obviously finding his daughter.

• Kim says:

I agree. I thought the end scene was perfect. There was plenty of emotion between Beckett and Castle with the hug and the brief conversation they had. Martha and Alexis were in the room, I don’t think it would’ve been appropriate for Beckett to maul Castle in front of his mother and daughter. The four of them having breakfast together was great. It was like they were celebrating Alexis and Castle’s return as a family. I’d love to see more moments like that. Edensongbird is right. Anything more would have been out of place. And no, I’m don’t think the show can do no wrong. I don’t love every episode. But I do see the bigger picture.

• A says:

I completely agree. Seriously some extremely obsessed Caskett fans are just ridiculous. You really wanna see Castle and Beckett making out or having sex while his daughter is kidnapped. There was enough Castle/Beckett relationship development that should have left you satisfied considering the situation of the episode. The ending scene was great and Beckett’s heartfelt, angry interrogation scene was more than enough of relationship development for this episode.

• Mary says:

Completely agree! The ending scene, the interrogation and the handholding at the beginiing of the episode were great and totally fit in this kind of episode! Sometimes less is more!

• asdf says:

Kate is by-the-book to the point of being nutty. And yet she stood by while Castle tortured one of the suspects in her custody. Then she attacked and threatened a witness. Do you think she’d have done that for Demming? Tell me that Season 2 Beckett– who put away that grandpa who was avenging his daughter and protecting his granddaughter– would have done anything like that. She was helping the man she loved.

Ultimately, once Castle flew to Paris, nothing the precinct team did ultimately mattered. The two big breaks in the case were the two escape attempts by Sarah and Alexis; after that, it was all Castle and his treacherous hireling. The scenes were there purely for exposition and to illustrate the lengths to which Beckett would go for her man.

But don’t take my word for it. Try it yourself. Write a 2 minute scene with Beckett and Castle and then tell me what two minutes you’d have dropped from the episode to make room for it. The second episode was too crammed with plot, I’m with you that far. But this just wasn’t an episode you could have fit more Caskett into than they did.

• Huskygrl says:

EXACTLY! The Casket moments were better because of their subtly. Castle was the man we always knew he could be and Kate taking on the punk girlfriend – whoopa! I loved both parts of this episode, will definately be watching it again. The green screen work was meh, but the sum of all the parts was excellent! We had better see Jackson Hunt again, I want to see him with Castle, Alexis AND the fabulous Martha. And the idea of having Jackson work with Kate and Rick completely rocks – so many opportunities for next season!

• taliesin says:

asdf, Beckett has changed over the years. Yes, she went after the grandpa in season 2 because she was by-the-book then, but she let the old couple from the Blue Butterfly slide – because they would have spent the rest of their lives dealing with a trial and proving their innocents, and they still would have gone to jail for destroying a body. She’s no where near as by-the-book as she used to be; especially when factoring in all the Senator/mother stuff.

• Christy says:

Agree. I thought the Caskett moments were perfect. I liked that Espo asked her if she was going to follow him. Her answer showed that she had clearly considered it (showing she loves him and wants to help), but decided she is of more use in NY. And the hand touches and the “I don’t care hug” were just enough to show that she was being there for him.
        The only point I agree with the original poster is the lighting. Seriously!! I am not expecting kisses all the time but when we do finally get them, why are they all so dark??

• CarlagUK says:

Totally agree with you. Caskett ‘coupley’ in this episode? Really?!! This was an excellent two parter.. Loved it. If fans are only concerned with ‘Caskett’ moments week after week, then they are destined for disappointment. However I am sure we will see their relationship progress as we continue to watch. By the way what about Beckett’s scene with the girlfriend?? I thought that spoke volumes.

• Christina says:

Katie, I’m totally with you.

I don’t want to see them all over each other, that’s not what I want to see – but I DO want to see them in a relationship. Where was Kate’s reaction to having the line go dead while she was on the phone with him? Where were the follow-up calls trying to figure out if he was okay? (Even Castles Dad mentioned that she should be calling…but we never saw a call.) Where were they at the airport? All he gets when he comes back is take me with you next time? I’m sure he got more, some sort of angry talking to at the very least, but I want to see that. I want the proof that she cares so much.

And also, HUGE thing I wanted – CASTLE TELLING KATE ABOUT HIS DAD. They sure made sure to use that as fodder to keep the tension going, so wouldn’t this have been a great time for them to alleviate that tension? Castle goes to tell his mom, but do we just infer that he told her too? Knowing them, we’ll find out during the finale.

I watch this show because I love it, but the Beckett/Castle relationship is what spawned that love. Season 4 was perhaps the best for them, and I had such high hopes coming into season, and this episode. They’ve had a few knockout episodes, but not as many out of the past 16 as I expected. Here’s hoping to a better Season 6! (Provided they’re not the blind item couple that breaks up – I’ll seriously reconsider my love at that point.)

• Elise says:

Absolutely agree with Katie and Christina. I knew going in that there would be less than five minutes of scenes with Rick and Kate, which was totally annoying. They’ve never had them apart in any two parter. I agree that KB would have kept calling him until he picked up – or he would call her. Why not take two seconds to show that? I thought it was plausible that KB would stay in NYC, but as a Caskett fan it bummed me out. I actually did like the moment at the end, especially since Kate hugged Alexis. There’s been tension with them since Rise. I also like the idea of them celebrating together as a family. That was nice. Another peck in the pitch black. I’m so over it at this point, I kind of find it funny. Loved bad ass MF Beckett (my favorite KB behind Russian Beckett). My sister, who is a very casual watcher of the show, said “it seems like she’s more into him than he is to her. It seems like he’s pulling away”. Have to agree with that. The CGI stuff was god awful. It looked like NF was in a video game.
        That said, I really liked Brolin. They had great chemistry and it was fun to watch their interaction. I thought the pacing was pretty good, kept my attention. I kind of wished that they hadn’t gone down so many different story lines, however. I would have liked if they focused just on Alexis or just on RC’s dad (actually I would have liked just RC’s dad and not Alexis at all).
        All in all, though I enjoyed the two parter. Nothing can top season 2 (Agent Shaw where are you? Oh, right, you’re a ME in Philly) but it was a solid showing. I’m pretty disappointed with this season too, but this was as good as we’re probably going to get in season five.

• JAA says:

Your sister totally nailed, I feel Beckett is totally into Castle, but I have yet to see Castle initiate contact in their close scenes, it’s always Beckett and it looks just like one sided relationship.

After four years chasing Beckett, I thought Castle wouldn’t be able to keep his hands away from Beckett but now that the chase is gone, he seems aloof. It’s disappointing at best.

• luli says:

Elise, your sister was spot on with th caskett relationship! Andrew M needs to do something about this. I hope the 100th episode is packed with caskett moments, after all they are the heart of the show. :)

• the8tregirl says:

These “little” things are stuff that should have turned this 2-parter into a three episode arc. Andrew Marlowe does arcs really well – better than another couple crime/thriller drama on another network that has huge ‘shippers – and I would pay money to see that.

Oh wait. I have cable. I DO pay for it…

Look, the thing is, CASTLE isn’t just about the throw-away lines and the flirting with coffee moments any more. It’s still a great procedural but with huge amounts of heart and character. I think the fans of the show deserve to see how Martha handles Alexis’ kidnapping, and deserve to see Castle process a little more about his father’s sudden return and re-disappearance, and deserve to see just a little more Jackson Hunt (that back story about Volkov was as weak as Jell-o made with three cups of water), and especially deserve to see Kate and Castle re-unite in MUCH BETTER LIGHTING.

• Christina says:

Amen. To all of that.

I would never say Castle is anything short of a great show, but I think we deserve more. The two-parters usually have some sort of emotional consequence for the characters, and this one certainly didn’t come up short, so it would be wonderful to see how these characters deal with it. Castle has got to have some sort of reaction, and we know he told his mom, so why shouldn’t we get her reaction?

I’d imagine we’ll see Jame Brolin/Jackson Hunt again next season, if not this finale. He’s getting such great reviews that there’s no way they wouldn’t bring him back!

• cmaglaughlin says:

I was soooo looking forward to part two, after the phenomenal part one. Stretching it to a part three, and cutting out all the technological wizardry, with an ORGASMIC ending(one episode of “The Mentalist” actually lifted me up off my recliner)would have been more appealing to “old school” fans. Rushing the rescue and the ending was premature ejaculation! I prefer lotsa foreplay, well, at least three!

• Maria says:

But this show isn’t called “Caskett.” It’s called Castle.

• Julie says:

Those of us who like Kate and Castle’s relationship just fine do NOT feel that the show can do no wrong. We just have a different opinion than you. I think they have plenty of chemistry and their intimacy is obvious to me. I’m glad that the show has stuck to what it’s always been and hasn’t caved in to some fans for more romantic scenes. It’s just a different opinion that yours, not an excuse.

• chistosa says:

I agree with you Julie. Passion is one thing but love is another. The small things are what prove the strength of the relationship. The intimacy is obvious by the myriad of small things that define a couple, the knowing smile, the encouraging glances, the touch on the face to move a strand of hair. I do see the chemistry. And like you I don’t think the show can do no wrong. On the contrary I see many things that they could do better. But I am satisfied with the relationship and the way it is developing.

• Amber says:

I’m glad there are sane people out there that are seeing what I see. A relationship isn’t just passion and sex! The show is about castle and the crimes he helps Beckett and co solve. Their relationship is a bonus and the snippets we do see speak volumes.
          The looks, the slight touches, the words they use, these are what shows a relationship. It can be fun and flirty, but it can also be serious. They aren’t school kids that can’t keep their hands off each other, they may do that behind doors, but we don’t NEED to see that. Their relationship is great.
          The one I’m curious to see more if is the Beckett/Alexis angle.
          Haters are always going to hate, but just have another look. You are missing a lot!

• Tallulah says:

I know it may be difficult for you, but the show is actually doing this weird thing where it’s respecting the incredible relationship that it has built up for over four years.

It’s subtle. It’s true love. It’s not dramatic screaming matches, oh-no-will-this-break-thems, fast and hard sex scenes.

If you can’t see and appreciate what they’re doing, how good the acting is, how respectful the writing is, then I really do feel sorry for you.

(p.s. so happy to see so many other fans saying similar things – go Castle fandom!)

• Huskygrl says:

Yay! Ovation for you too! Well said!

• James says:

Thank you. and honestly out of all the places to nit pick caskett moments why would you use these two episodes, when it was clearly about Castle and his daughter. dispite some areas I’ve questioned like the end of Recoil with the separate couch thing, I’ve loved how they’ve progressed as a couple its very real, you can be friends with someone for years and still not know them KB is a good example of that, and especially if that friendship evolves into a romantic relationship. I mean no disrespect to anyone but try and calm down and let things play out before you judge. AM loves to keep you waiting until the end when he hits you with something amazing. Well said Tallulah I’m glad I’m not the only one that sees how good this season has been

• John DeMayo says:

This was an episode about Castle and his DAUGHTER. Not his “girlfriend”. Grow up. The show is about much more than just another shipper romance.

• Alan says:

why on earth would their have been caskett moments in an episode where the main character’s daughter has been kidnapped? are you saying that if your child was kidnapped you would spend the time having intimate moments when your partner rather than doing all you could to find the kid, because that is just utter nonsense.

15. David4 says:

I think it should have been a three parter, the last 15 minutes was too packed. But I loved it, the show is called Castle, the episde had Castle in it and was so much fun.

16. taliesin says:

I was left feeling unfulfilled. It’s like everything happened in the last few minutes: the rescue, the return home, everything. It was like 55 minutes of build-up for 5 minutes of payoff. I just felt that the pacing was slightly off. Gramps came in too late and then they were trying to rush everything else in the episode to get to the saving of Alexis and the return home done in less then 15 minutes. We needed more home time; more family time for all of them. And the save just ended up feeling more like an episode of Leverage then anything else: standard misdirection.
    Unlike the Beckett-based two-parters this didn’t end up feeling significant. It didn’t feel like there was anything really life changing. Alexis isn’t going to be more cautious, Castle isn’t going to feel more fulfilled knowing who is father is, Beckett isn’t going to be closer to Castle now that she knows he can torture people, and so on. It feels like this should have been a significant story that changed Castle like the mother stories changed Beckett, yet it just feels like business as usual.
    I guess I just wanted to see a more competent side of Castle. The guy who has jewel thieves, mobsters, and CIA agents on his speed dial. The guy who reads people just by looking at them. The keen-minded detective that used to amaze everyone at the precinct. I miss that guy. He left right around the end of season 3.

• cee see says:

You wanted a “more competent” Castle? Are you kidding me? His daughter was kidnapped and he thought she might be dead. If he acted more competent then he would be a father with emotions getting in the way.

• cee see says:

*wouldn’t

• taliesin says:

Competence is far more then just dealing with emotional situations. Castle’s the guy whose very good friend was accused of murder and he solved a 20 year old case in one afternoon while under that emotional distress. Castle has skills, and contacts; not to mention Beckett to back him up has he’s backed her up for years. It was all thrown to the wind in a attempt to tell a particular story without really looking at Castle’s character over the last 5 season.

• cee see says:

Its all thrown into the wind BECAUSE ITS ALEXIS! it is so very true to Castle’s character. He goes all mushy and sweet and overprotective over his daughter. Its very different emotions than with any one else.

• taliesin says:

You’re missing the point. This isn’t about his fear over Alexis. This is about the type of person he is and what we’ve seen him do. This is a guy who has a CIA agent on his speed dial. This is a guy who has a friend in Homeland Security and who saved NYC from a dirty bomb. You think he wouldn’t call his CIA contact once he knew Alexis was in Paris? There’s a lot of big government agencies who owe Castle a favor. He would contact every one of them and call in every favor he’s owed. They don’t write the Castle character competently any more, nor do they ever factor in any of the continuity they have created for him over the last 5 years. He has the skills, the determination, and the contacts to get things done. They just don’t write him that way any more.

• A says:

I’d honestly like to see how you’d react if your child was taken away from you. Castle acted the way any parent would act. He’s falling apart. He feels like his whole world has been taken away from him. He doesn’t know if his daughter is dead or alive. Thoughts constantly rambling through his head. Forgive him if he doesn’t remember all the contacts he’s made in his life. All this stuff you’re mentioning about him having contacts and all that is irrelevant in this situation. Emotions take over situations like these and Nathan portrayed an emotional Castle excellently. And if it makes you happy, Castle did use one of his “contacts” if you were remember when he met with that French guy and asked him about the guy who could help track down Alexis.

• taliesin says:

As one of the few people on this forum whose had a child die I can tell you I completely understand what it feels like to be overwhelmed with emotions. That doesn’t change the fact that if one of my family members were kidnapped that I wouldn’t do everything in my power to get them back; and I’m just a regular guy. Not an exceptional human with millions of dollars and tons of influential friends. My worrying might mean I make some bad decisions, like flying off to Paris, but it certainly wouldn’t mean I’d forget who owes me a favors and that it’s time to collect.

• A says:

Sorry to hear about that. :(
            What I guess I’m trying to convey across is that from a TV show standpoint it seemed very realistic the way Castle was acting. Sure he could have called his numerous contacts but this episode was more emotion heavy than other ones and in terms of that aspect of the episode I personally found it very well portrayed. But I do understand your viewpoint of the situation.

• Mary says:

So, you are saying he was supposed to act the same with his daughter as when it was his friend?! Yeah, right, whatever!

• Steven says:

You mean contacts like Gaston, the advisor to the French Minister of Defense, the man who put him in touch with Henri, the French Fixer? Contacts like that one?

The fact that Castle didn’t blindly reach out and start pressing buttons, calling in all of his favors whether they were in a position to help him or not, tells me he wasn’t panicking. He calmly chose the right tool for the job, and nearly had the result he was looking for when he was stabbed in the back by Henri. Even then he realized something was wrong, right before he felt Henri’s gun at the back of his head. Say what you want about this episode, but questioning Castle’s competence in this case is the wrong move.

• asdf says:

Thanks for posting that. Seriously, he used his contacts, found where they’d kept Alexis, realized he’d been betrayed, and then took a major role in the rescue attempt (while faking being a bumbling amateur). I’d say he did a pretty amazing job all considered. We saw exactly the same guy who’s been solving murders for the past five years.

• Alan says:

brilliant. nice to see some people actually think through what is going on

• cmaglaughlin says:

Excellent analysis…my thoughts exactly. I have nothing to add other than we both think alike, and obviously most everyone else is happy, so let’s all see what is around the bend.

17. DarkDefender says:

I thought it was great. Nice touch with Daddy Castle saying “Always..” Totally could have been a solid 3-parter… I hope they continue to reveal more about Castle as we spent 4 seasons getting to know all that is KB.

Was it just me, or did it almost seem like Kate was going to say “I Love You to Castle..”??

• asdf says:

A third part might have given us episode fatigue. Plus the episode crowded out Beckett and the 12th precinct guy. So it might have been too much. But otherwise I agree that there was so much going on in this part that we kind of lost sight of the characters. Part 1 was probably best castle episode ever.

18. One of the top 5 if not top 3 episodes ever! Castle’s dad telling him how proud he was…I lost it. Just a great episode.

19. Leigh says:

Hey Matt – Was the guy who played Volkolv in a previous episode of Castle? Now that I went back and reread your article it made me think maybe he has been there before. Also, thanks for all the great recaps!

• Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com says:

That was Nestor Serrano (Dexter, 90210, 24). And Christopher Heyerdahl (Sanctuary, Hell on Wheels) played Henri.

20. James says:

not only was that the best two parter ever but it was one of the best hours of tv i’ve ever watched and i’ve seen my share of tv over the years. Fillion was steller throughout. great casting with Brolin he has the sauve thing down but also the vaulnerbility, i love how they set up his relationship with Rick clearly he will try to find his dad now. ABC take note becuase this show just earned three more seasons with this episode.

To those that are gripping on the Caskett moments I totally know where your coming from believe me but this was Castle’s journey and like her stuff with her mom he needed to do it on his own, and what she said about acting like a cop was spot on IMO. Absolutly Fantastic Television.

• MBG says:

I agree that it was a great episode. I would like to have seen Martha’s reaction when Castle told her about meeting his dad. That would make a great wow moment.

21. allie says:

Loved the episode. Brolin and Fillion on the same screen? Happy dreams for me tonight. :)

22. Shuayb says:

I enjoyed this two parter- including the Ocean’s Eleven-esque way in which they dispatched Volkov and saved Alexis. It was very neat.
    Like I said before, I also think that the producers could have found a better special effects person to do the in Paris thing. Or they could have actually went to Paris to film the scenes. Castle does well so don’t see why they couldn’t wrangle that.
    What was missing was more of a Castle-Beckett interaction. They usually solve the cases together. Even in the two parters so this episode lacked that.
    They def need to invite ‘Jackson Hunt’ back, maybe he can help in trying to solve Kate’s mothers murder mystery. And help put the people responsible for it in jail. He is quite good in planning and executing a sting operation.

• taliesin says:

The exteriors were filmed in Paris. They did go there.

• asdf says:

Calling in Dad to help Castle save Beckett from Senator Bracken would be an awesome twist. Yes I want to see him back.

Hell, I want to see Agent Gray back, too. Did you know he killed a north korean agent with a melon baller?

• Alan says:

this wasnt a “castle and beckett saves the day” story, it was a story about a father’s love for his child and his willingness to do whatever it takes to get her back, i think it would have been wrong to have beckett do anything that castle did throughout the episode; just like it would have been wrong to have castle there for beckett’s private chats with bracken, its something the character has to do alone

23. rowan77 says:

I really enjoy Castle each week, and I love Nathan Fillion. The two-parter was really fun and I enjoyed it, but I also can’t help but feel that i just watched the show jump the shark by making Castle’s dad a noc agent. It just feels too pat, to “of course he is!.” I almost wished at the end that we found out he wasn’t actually Castle’s father, but someone connected in some way to his father.

Meawhile Nathan was fantastic, Molly was great, the actor who played the French fixer (who I shall always think of first as Alastair from Supernatural – because I am a nerd) was fantastic. Dylan Walsh was wasted in a role where he did basically nothing. Kate was wonderfully kick-ass in the interrogation room. Just think the “Rick’s dad is a spy” thing was too-over-the-top.

• taliesin says:

As I said the last time someone brought up Castle’s dad, we’ve known he was in the CIA for a year now. We learned that in last year’s two-parter. If it’s jumping the shark because of that well, then they jumped the shark last year. :)

• asdf says:

Molly was stunning as always. The girl really needs to be the lead character in her own series, though I’d hate losing her from Castle.

Walsh was wasted. In part 1 he was great because his calm, cool, collectedness contrasted with Kate and Rick’s anger and fear and desperation and despair. In Part 2, he was window dressing. Didn’t need a name actor for that.

• Alan says:

ive always felt that molly could hold her own spin off with alexis as a private eye, similar to veronica mars; alexis has been shown to have good insight in many previous cases, usually leading to castle making a breakthrough.

24. loretta says:

The two parter was AWESOME. Fillion was a revelation. Katic took no crap. Quinn brought it. Cannot say how much I love CASTLE!

25. A says:

I literally jumped out of my seat during Beckett’s interrogation. While it was going on I was like alright its just a regular interrogation…waiting for the good stuff. Then the woman called her a bitch and she kicked her chair and I was so shocked I had to watch it again. ONE OF THE BEST SCENES EVER. I love angry Beckett.
    I really hope this isn’t the last of Castle’s dad. I really like the character and the actor who plays him.
    The name Volkov brought back some Chuck memories :)
    Overall, I loved the episode but my one dislike aside from some of the poor Paris backgrounds was that they cast that actor as the bad guy (don’t know his name). But honestly there is no way he passes as French. He’s definitely Mexican or something. Plus he’s always the bad guy in like every TV show so it would’ve been nice if the role was played someone else.

• taliesin says:

Beckett’s interrogation was awesome. It’s the first time we really see how much she loves Castle. All the anger and frustration boiled over in one kick.

• luli says:

Beckett’s interrogation scene was proabably one of the best scenes ever!

• marz says:

The actor who played Volkov was not supposed to be French. So, that’s probably why he didn’t do a good job playing someone who was French. OTOH, he did a great job playing someone who was ex-KGB.

And the exteriors were filmed in Paris. So, there’s that.

And Castle pulling away from Beckett, I don’t know where that’s coming from. He was holding on to her hand, hugging her. And of course she kept calling, but he couldn’t know that because his father shot his phone. Oh well.
      I loved it.

• Dory says:

As a newbie I’m catching up with reruns. Not quite there yet and not as knowledgeable as the others posters. I did love the scene where she kicked that snot face off her chair. As far as physical affection, I think a person would be so frozen they wouldn’t want to be touched. She conveyed her love for him by jumping in and helping find Alexis. She is just darling and Stana is one of the most classy, beautiful women I’ve ever seen on tv. Love the reruns on TNT.

26. luli says:

So are they going to address what Meredith told Beckett on 5×10, cause Castle just met his father…. i want to see a scene were he tells her, and also Martha’s reaction of knowing “hunt” has been keeping tabs on them…

27. luli says:

Matt, why is Castle going on a three week break??

• A says:

My guess is that its just the regular spring hiatus that most shows take that way they can finish the season in May along with most shows.

• James says:

it’s because of sweeps. when the advertisers gather data from ratings etc. I know it really sucks it’s my least favorite time of the tv season cuz usually they put out really great episodes like the one tonight so we have to be tortured for three weeks of waiting.

• asdf says:

24 episodes a year means they film pretty much continuously. So without this break, the summer break would be longer. I’m OK with it. Hell, I’ll take 22 or 23 episodes if that keeps the cast and crew fresh.

28. ABC says:

Incredibly ridiculous. And I’m saying this as a huge fan.

29. Kate says:

My word how I love this show! This two parter was simply fantastic. I really hope we get to see more of Castle’s dad. James Brolin is PERFECT for the role, and there are a lot of stories that could be told with him! I’ve been a fan since the beginning, and it just gets better and better!

• I totally agree! I love this show, cast and crew.The 2 parter was great! And I loved it! I hope we get to see more of Castles dad, too and James Brolin was AWESOME! I have been a fan since day 1 and love the show more and more! I would love to see him reprise the role and spend some time with the family or on a case with Caskett! I loved this for the support the 12th team, it had just enough Caskett moments to satisfy me for now,I loved Kates interrogation scene, the scenes with Castle Sr. and Jr. and the end scene seemed more like family, I thought it was terriffic! I value everyones opinion and I mean no dis-respect, but, you dont have to love every scene or every show. There have been 1 or 2 that I thought werent exactly what i thought, either. But I always tell my friends to never miss an episode because you just might miss something you would other wise miss. I applied that to those eps and it turned out that I loved them and would have missed out if I had not watched. I trust Marlowe, his writers, cast and crew and I think he will bring us something AWESOME by the end of the season if not before. But even if that doesnt happen, I am totally ok with the progression of Caskett. GO Castle!

30. Tamim says:

So, anyone else think – now that Castle’s Dad has been introduced, Beckett and Castle have a previously unknown, though also un-contactable, ally to eventually help take care of Beckett’s Mom’s killer, Senator William Bracken? That guy’s so slimy, only someone who was untraceable could take care of him in a believable manner, or maybe cover up the “justice” Beckett deals out. I don’t know how it will happen, but that story line is the only one I can think of right now where the writers could legitimately bring Dad back. Bracken is so slimy in so many ways, he might do something or get tied to something that would get secret Dad’s attention enough so that he get to interfere or chooses to help out a little…

• James says:

I think you might be onto something here. My idea is that Bracken is going to go after Castle, if you remember Recoil the scene where Castle said i would of let you die Bracken’s look to him was so ominous IMO, i think he knows Castle is important to Beckett and so he’s going to hurt her through him, just a feeling I have. and Beckett will probably reach out to Castle’s father for help. could be way off, but i do have a feeling that Bracken might not be so easily dispatched.

• Mary says:

I had not think about that, but I love your idea!:)

• James says:

I sort of hope it does happen. I mean i think its time to wrap up the Joanna Beckett arc and start something new like Castle’s dad, but i love the Bracken character and Jack Coleman plays it so well I kind of want him to stick around for awhile.

31. skrable2 says:

Something to keep in mind as we read comments from those “disappointed” with this extremely good two-parter. … Never believe anything at first blush, when it comes to individual posters.

Those who are nitpicking this could be fans of an opposing show in the same timeslot. Heck, they could even be plants from opposing networks hired to stir up fan doubts across the Internet. It never ceases to amaze me how “civilian” posters can have such intricate and immediate nitpicks, so quickly after an episode airs.

Trust only in your own opinion, folks. And mine, of course.

p.s. The term “jumped the shark” jumped the shark years ago

• Christina says:

I’m actually a secret agent sent from NBC to stir up trouble on a Castle recap… Ummmmm no.

We’re allowed to be “disappointed” with this two-parter. It was great, yes, but for those of us that enjoy the relationship element of the show, this was not nearly as good as it could have been.

• Elise says:

Hahaha. Dude, you found me out. I’m actually a Beastie (I can’t believe that’s a real thing) sent here to give honest feedback about the show. That’s one of the things that drives me crazy about this fandom. We don’t have to all drink the Kool aid to love this show. Not everyone thinks Marlowe is an infallible god, that season five is the best season yet!, that they’re doing a bang up job of handling the Caskett relationship. There were some terrific moments in the two parter, no doubt about it. But everyone is allowed an opinion. Get a life.

• taliesin says:

You do realize this thread has less then 100 posts in it made by around 30-40 people. Do you have any idea how insignificant 40 people are to a show that has 10 million watching it each week? There’s tens of thousands discussing Castle on twitter every night.

32. Stephen says:

Great episode!!! I think meeting his dad will change Castle, every son wants his fathers approval and now he has it. The extreme Casket fans seem to be going off the deep end, if they aired back to back episodes with only them in bed just talking about their feelings it still would not be enough it seems. Relax, and enjoy it, they have had the Hampton’s Valentines, relationship advice on the run, met the parents, and met the ex. It will come just enjoy the show.

33. siskaaw says:

Okay i think today episode is great, and yes i agree with people that saying it will be solid if this is a three parter. It need more time to solve the case, and I just really want to see that Castle knocked the bad guy down. Castle and his father scene is so good, castle want to know his father a little bit more but instead he has to disappear.

Beckett when she kick the chair was fantastic, that the second time after Reality Star Struck episode. Casket momment at the end of episode was perfect. And I could see Beckett-Alexis momment even not for quite long. I just wish more, and definetely James Brolin need to come back later.

34. TVDIVA says:

I loved this episode, especially from the moment James Brolin appeared. I hope Grandpa Castle comes back for a longer stay this season. The only thing I would have liked more is if the Castle team had been more involved in the story. But I guess that was impossible since the kidnapping ended in Paris instead of NYC where they have jurisdiction.

35. Mary says:

Just answering your questions: I LOVED the episode, loved James Brolin (IMO there couldn´t a better choice to play Castle´s dad) and yes, this could perfectly have been a three -parter! I feel there was so much more to be told! Anyway, maybe Castle´s dad makes another appearance (I don´t think it will be this season, tough), and I hope there will be some related talks on next episodes:)
    That was my favourite two-parter from all seasons, and that says a lot because I loved particulary the ones from S3 and S2.
    Now, a 3 week hiatus:( well, at least they let us in a great note:)

36. Mary says:

Oh, I forgot to add: AMAZING acting once again from Nathan Fillion, but also Stana Katic (that badass scene, no words)!

37. lame says:

This is the best of the two parters, surpassing “tic,tic” and “boom”, something I thought was impossible. And I have to agree with others, it would have been so much better as a three or four parter. The meatgrinder on CBS has run a fiver parter,so it can be done.
    Hopefully we can see Alexis having trouble dealing with this and Beckett there to help her. But that would mean continuity working overtime, something this series isn’t know for, but great story telling none the less.

38. lame says:

I have to agree with ‘tailspin” upthread, they don’t write Rick Castle as the unbelievably resourceful,fearless guy he was when this series started. That Rick would be so much more fun dealing with Beckett now that they’re together.

• stacey says:

You can’t have Castle from back then actually dating Kate now. He had to evolve over the years, and that is exactly what they have done. He is still a fun guy, but he recognizes that Kate needs a grown up man, a responsible man and he’s become that. Look at who she’s dated over the years, and who he’s dated and how Kate reacted to his bimbos. Rick of the early years would not hold the attention of the Kate of today!

39. lame says:

The original Rick would have Kate rummaging through his comic book collection on the floor of his loft. Or playing air guitar to a Bob Seeger tune or lazer tag or wearing her syfi costumes for dinner.

40. Astrid says:

Loved the 2 parter! James Brolin was a great choice to play Castle’s dad!

41. Deb Caskett says:

It was brilliant – & yes! a three-parter would have been awesome.
    These actors are amazing and the writers…. so very clever.
    These two episodes had alllll the feels!

and what was this strikethrough in the text about? { Carmichaels Industries foe } freudian slip???

42. Amy says:

I’m sorry but Castle’s dad’s a spy???? Could u get any more cliche??????? *eyeroll*

43. ljd213 says:

I think a three parter would have stretched out the story.

I was satisfied because before there was “Caskett”, there was Daddy and Alexis so that took precedence over everything. I think Kate got that and she showed it by kicking the chair out from under Henderson’s girlfriend (way cool move by the way).

Sure it’s cliche to have Castle’s dad a spy but this isn’t Tolstoy, it’s a TV show where coincidence is the rule not the exception. Good set up, great pay off and a fairly satisfying final scene.

I’ll admit I teared up a few times in both episodes. Nathan Fillion knocked it out of the park playing a gamut of emotions he usually doesn’t get to show off. I understand people wanted Kate running through Paris with Rick but I applaud the move to let her stay behind and be a cop. This was a story of father and child in more ways than one.

44. Andrea says:

I loved this episode! James Brolin was the perfect casting for Castles father- the emotional scenes between the two of of them were fantastic. It was nice to see how much Kate loved Castle from that interrogation scene. To me the end was perfect, I loved the Caksett moment and Kate giving Alexis a hug. Best two parter since season 2!

45. crochetowl says:

Really enjoyed this episode and would have liked to have seen Hunt appear a wee bit sooner in the episode (we barely knew him). Loved how Beckett went down on the girlfriend. How about an expanded version of the episode for the DVD release? Hopefully, we’ll get a return visit in the future from Hunt that isn’t so much a cameo as it was here.

Anyway, I don’t get some of the complaints about Caskett. For this two-parter, to me, it had the right balance.

46. Susan says:

We loved it! James Brolin did a wonderful job. Hope they have him back. Also, we definitely thought that it could have been a 3-parter. I wanted to see Castle tell Martha about his dad.

47. Loni says:

I loved your line about Carmichael Industries cause that’s exactly what I thought when he said ‘Volkov’! :)

48. Krithika says:

Okay can we all just STOP with the CGI criticising and lack of Caskett moments and “OMG i can’t believe Castle’s sooo cliche” comments already??? C’mon guys you expect Kate to what, have a full-on makeout sesh or do sexy talk in front of his mom and daughter? I’m a huge fanatic and shipper too and yes I admit the horrible lack of Castle this season but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna stand by and watch you self-appointed shippers bulldoze a truly amazing episode. This episode had the right levels of Caskett and any true shipper would have been disgusted if Caskett had their “sexy-on” tonight. And enough with the CGI already! Castle’s on a network that barely shows any promos of it, you think they would give heaps of money to go to Paris? AWM did the best he could with the money. And if you guys feel so ripped-off then I would be delighted to see you all donate a huge amount of money for producing “quality TV”. And about the cliche part, stop focussing on what Castle’s dad is and start focussing on the fact that he met his father after 40 years and actually had a conversation with him. As a person who lost her father at the age of 8, I know how painful it is to grow up without a dad. So please guys, show some appreciation for Castle. And all the “no-Caskett” comments can start up after the next three weeks. I’ll be too glad to join you but in the meantime go back and watch this episode and see the positives.

• Andrea says:

I too thought the end and the amount of Caskett was totally perfect. Some episodes I might grumble about the lack of moments but the ending moment spoke volumes to me. She was waiting on him to come home and so excited to see him and his daughter.

• taliesin says:

You do understand that intimacy isn’t just about sex or making out, right? Sex might be the dessert of a relationship but intimacy is the main course. Intimacy is the smile that comes to your face when you see them across the room. It’s the tingles you feel when they sit down right next to you rather then 4 feet away. It’s the note left on the frig, or teasing them about what shirt they’re going to wear on the first day back to work. And yes, it’s about contact and touching. It’s about wanting to be close to each other. Go into any hospital waiting room where someone’s family member has just been rushed in for emergency surgery. You’ll see them holding each other, needing that physical contact for the emotional support in times of tragedy. Intimacy just isn’t about making out in front of your mother or daughter. :)

• Krithika says:

I get what you mean about intimacy. But if you have noticed on this show, Castle has almost always been the one to support Kate. This is the first time that the tables have been turned and poor Kate is quite clueless on what sort of help to offer. The issue isn’t about the lack of intimacy it’s just the simple fact that in situations where your’e clueless, sometimes offering space and time to heal is way better than offering meaningless words of comfort. Words of comfort may seem soothing but sometimes space is just as good. And in this episode Caskett was intimate. The hand-holding, the hug…earlier Kate would have outright refused to show all these small sweet gestures. Also I’m very happy that Kate didn’t follow Castle home-instead she chose to search for his daughter. After all, giving back a father his missing daughter gotta be better than hand-holding right? :-D

• taliesin says:

I think people’s complaints about intimacy is that they’ve felt it’s been lacking throughout the season, not just in certain episodes. Even before they became a couple there were always the coffee moments, the always moments, the accidental touches that lingered. The small tidbits of flirting. The looks. Remember at the end of season 2 when Castle didn’t bring Beckett a coffee and how hurt she was – how she realized how important that gesture was to her? It meant enough that she was willing to dump Demming and give Castle a shot.
          This season has a lot less intimacy. Not just between Castle and Beckett, but between Castle and Martha and Alexis. Every episode gave you some of Castle’s work life, his home life, his Beckett life. Now it’s rarer to actually have Molly and Susan in an episode then to not be in an episode. The intimacy between all the characters has decreased.

• Krithika says:

Hmm…I guess you do have a point in the decrease in intimacy and communication between the other members of the cast. Martha and Alexis are very sadly not the same anymore. I do miss the old format of Castle coming home to his family and discussing the latest case or beginning his morning with a phone call from Kate. I can’t even remember the last time Castle and Alexis spoke to each other without him chiding her for her behaviour or without her telling him to stay out of her life. Also have you noticed the dispicable lack of Lanie this season?? It’s almost as if she’s left the show.

• taliesin says:

It’s weird because I don’t know where the time is being spent. There used to be time to see Castle at home with his family, or at home with his “writer’s poker game.” There used to be time to see Lanie at the morgue or visiting the precinct; in places other then just at the crime scene. There used to be time for ‘family’ gatherings at the precinct with Espo, Ryan, and the Captain. I have no idea where all that time’s gone. I guess to commercials, because it’s not in the episodes.

49. taliesin says:

Favorite line of the episode: “Given how you’re feelin so bad about your 200 buck phone you might wanna pick up that $3 million briefcase. Take it with ya,” as Grandpa Castle shakes his head.

50. jennifer says:

This has been one of the best two parters ever for this series. I loved it. I am thinking it’s about time someone gave Nathan an emmy nomination for the first of this 2 parter. He was so so good…he confirmed what us ‘browncoats’ have known all along. And James Brolin was outstanding and shows why he is such an underrated star. Loved it. Castle just keeps getting better.