Girls Recap: Sins of the Father

Get More: Recaps

Girls-HBO-Season-2-Episode-7-jessa-dadI almost started my recap of this week’s Girls by wondering if the episode title — “Video Games” — was Lena Dunham‘s nod to Lana Del Rey, a fellow female artist whose ubiquitous hit of the same name generated an inordinate amount of debate about whether she was a genius or just a lucky hack.

But then I stopped myself: No matter how many think pieces it generates, no matter how frequently Dunham waves her middle finger at her body-police critics by baring her backside and taking a pee by the traintracks, Girls is just a TV show. Maybe it aims for something a little deeper than your average half hour of (the still amazing) Cougar Town, and maybe it’s a little more self-indulgent than its HBO timeslot buddy (the also amazing) Enlightened, but there’s no better way to drain the fun from a viewing experience than by overanalyzing it to death.

The thing about Girls, though, is it practically begs you to drag each episode to the couch for a post-viewing therapy session. Take this week’s opening scene, with Jessa’s almost grotesquely flippant remarks about “maybe, probably” having been molested by a substitute teacher when she was a kid. Was that her making an ill-conceived joke? Was the casualness of Jessa’s delivery a way to test the waters about maybe, possibly discussing a past trauma? (And is it possible Jessa experienced abuse at the hands of her own father, who greeted his daughter with a fervor that pinged my inner creep-o-meter?) Or perhaps it was merely a case of bad writing on Dunham’s part. (Yeah, it was probably just bad writing.)

Anyhow, that bit of ickiness aside, there were definitely a few good laughs in our opening scene of Hannah and Jessa at a tiny upstate New York train station waiting for Jessa’s dad to pick them up. Sure, it was nasty that Hannah couldn’t be bothered to wade into the bushes to empty her bladder, but I’ll admit I howled when that elderly couple caught sight of her doing the deed, Hannah cluelessly called out “there’s still no one?” and Jessa just smiled wickedly.

It was nice, in that moment, to witness a little of Jessa’s naughty bohemian charm, because later she retreated to her safe shell of superiority, her not-entirely-convincing attitude that the basic rules of common sense and courtesy are simply too pedestrian to be acknowledged. “It’s really lame that that bothers you,” she huffed to Hannah, when her friend expressed shock that Jessa’s dad would leave them waiting at the station for what had to be at least an hour. It was clear, though, Jessa was actually bothered most of all, disappointed that even in her adult life, there was part of her who craved the feeling of being a priority to her father.

Jessa’s dad (a bedraggled Ben Mendelsohn), of course, had his armor up, too: He’s kooky and scattered, his station wagon laden down with old computers, his life philosophy filled with eye-rollingly rehearsed ideas like “Camry drivers are c***s.” He couldn’t even be bothered to remember Hannah’s name correctly, telling Jessa to “get in the front with Sarah.”

Back at the ranch, we got to meet Petula (Rosanna Arquette), the latest wife of Jessa’s dad, a woman prone to her own set of nutty beliefs. Among them: Life is actually a video game in which we need to “grow a pair and get to the next level.” It’s okay to have dirty guest towels that aren’t big enough to dry a leg, let alone an entire body. Pet bunny rabbits are delicious for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (Hannah might not exactly be a gracious guest, but I couldn’t help guaffawing when she dropped this question — “I was just wondering: Is this rabbit the same rabbit that we were, um, feeding and petting in a loving way this morning?” Of course it was!)

Naturally, Dad and Petula made unbreakable plans to attend a lecture (and thus avoid a full 24 hours of father-daughter time). After some evening hijinks (more on those in a moment), Jessa finally let down her guard and hinted at her disappointment, grimly telling Hannah not to commisserate and act like her own mom and dad were anything like her miscreant papa.

Jessa, showing a little character growth, finally confronted her dad head-on: Why can’t he clean his house occasionally? Why can’t he “act like leaving a woman and her child isn’t a casual f***ing thing”? Why can’t he ever do anything he says he’ll do? “You think I can rely on you?” he snapped back. And then Jessa cut to the heart of the problem: “You shouldn’t have to. I’m the child. I’m the child.” You could see Jessa’s dad reeling, trying to make up to his daughter years of slights, as he promised to make bangers and mash and spend the day with her. But — as Jessa knew the moment he dropped her and Hannah at the grocery store and promised to be back to pick them up — it wasn’t meant to be. Abandoned once again, Jessa pulled off her own disappearing act, leaving Hannah with nothing but an enigmatic note (“see you around my love”) and a solo train ride back to New York City.

Hannah responded to the weekend stresses with a call to her own parental units, but her anxiety and sadness crept into the call in a not-entirely-charming way. “Why do you call us when you’re in a bad mood?” her mom demanded to know. And since the road to hang-ups are paved with good intentions, Hannah’s overly earnest thank-yous — a true decent moment where the character realized her childhood was pretty charmed — caused her mom to finally snap, “I’m not falling for this crap!” It was another missed connection, but still kinda sweet, no?

Oh, and back to the hijinks I mentioned earlier. We had a mid-episode subplot in which Hannah and Jessa went for a terrifying, whipit-fueled joyride with Petula’s son Frank and his dreamy jock pal Tyler, “an amazing lacrosse player and published poet.” I loved Hannah’s skittishness around the whipped-cream can — “I don’t like using products in a different way than they were intended!” — but man, the eight-second graveyard romp between Hannah and Frank has to rank as one of the most awkward sex scenes I’ve ever seen anywhere (not just on Girls). Just as painfully funny was Hannah’s insane idea to have sex with Frank only because she thought Jessa was bedding Tyler, and desiring “continuity” with her friend in this sexcapade situation. Also beyond beyond? Jessa asking Tyler, “Do the guys on your team suck each other off?” As the absent-from-the-episode Shosh would exclaim, “Oh! Em! Gee!”

Anyhow, I’ll leave the rest of the Hannah-Frank post-coital dance for you to discuss. While you’re at it, what did you think of this week’s Girls? Do you think Jessa’s note means we won’t be seeing her again this season? What did you make of the molestation comment at the top of the show? And how uncomfortable was the graveyard sex scene on a scale of one to horror movie? Sound off in the comments!

Tags: , ,

Comments (24)

• “Just a TV show.” Well, considering I want to give my life to television, and you already have, I think that’s a bit of an unfortunate statement. You analyze American Idol to death, is this somehow less worthy?

And this site is about TV, sooooo… I don’t get it.

Comment by Sam – February 24, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was talking about the cultural overanalyzing of Girls in particular, not our collective delight in deep-diving into all our favorite television shows in general.

Comment by Michael Slezak – February 24, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But at least it’s spurred critical discussion of feminist theory. Which is something more people need to pay attention to.

Comment by Sam – February 24, 2013 06:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst episode of the season. Jessa is awful. I wouldn’t care if she didn’t return. The other girls are more interesting.

Comment by Matt – February 24, 2013 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do think Jessa’s comment was testing the waters to see if she could talk about that kind of thing. Overall I liked it, it was strange in the way “Girls” does well.

Really not the parent I would have imagined Jessa having.

Comment by Taylor – February 24, 2013 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like Jessa but feel like they dont know what to do with her character since the wedding storyline. I miss the earlier episodes when Girls was about 4 friends living in NYC and not these stand alone episodes with Hannah and friend.

Comment by Jade – February 24, 2013 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is this the last we see of Jessa this season? Well, yes, since it’s getting harder and harder for the audience not to notice the actress’s baby bump, and you can’t really hide it behind a binder a-la grey’s, and with only four characters it’d be hard to push her character to the C story line for the remainder of the season, so why not just forget about her till s3..
    PS: Hannah, if you would stop sleeping with every rando that you just meet then you wouldn’t get chronic UTIs that you are all too quick to grossly (conversationally) share with the rest of the world!

Comment by Jane Doe – February 24, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked it and felt is was one of the better episodes of the season so far. I was wondering how they were going to handle Kirke’s pregnancy, Jessa can be frustrating but I’ll be sad to see her missing for a uncertain amount of episodes. Hopefully Shosh will get more screen time.

Comment by Russ – February 24, 2013 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad Jessa’s gone. I know I was supposed to feel something for her given her horrible home life, but I can’t. I want more Shosh.

Comment by chloe – February 24, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does anyone know who played the “dreamy jock” and locally published poet Tyler. IMDB doesn’t have it.

Comment by chi watcher – February 25, 2013 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was played by Jeff O’Donnell. He’s cute, but kind of reminds me of a real-life Ken doll.

Comment by Bryce – February 25, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season is a lot more Hannah-centric than season 1. Why have all the great supporting characters (Marnie, Shosh, Adam) been so marginalized? It’s not helping the case against critics who think Lena Dunham is too self-indulgent. Also, are Jessa and Shosh still cousins?

Comment by John K. – February 25, 2013 12:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show just doesn’t feel real. The people feel like overexaggerated caricatures rather than relatable characters. This was better in season 1 when it was an ensemble cast subject to hijinks of city living in your 20′s and felt more comedy based. But this season has turned the drama way up and tried to delve deeply into its characters psyches, this only works if a shows characters feel like real people.

As a side note, I really dislike Jessa, she is the least relatable of any of the characters on the show (including Adam). Actually Shosh is the only one of the “Girls” that I actually like….what the hell does Lena and this show have against likable characters?

Comment by Jason – February 25, 2013 01:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a fan of this episiode. Some I find amazing, This one was boring. Don’t like the episodes where they focus on a couple of the main characters and exclude the others.

Comment by Mike – February 25, 2013 01:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wish all four of them went to Jessa’s dad’s house. I mean, that would have been fun. Or at least it could have been Jessa and Soshana alone in that place.

Comment by Mark P – February 25, 2013 07:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Slezak. While I didn’t entirely enjoy this episode either. You mentioned that it may have been a bit of bad writing by Lena Dunham. Lena didn’t write this episode. It was written by someone else. Now I assume Lena has final say on the scripts but you can’t solely blame her for this misstep.

Comment by JL – February 26, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was my least fav episode this season. And unlike most people I love Jessa, but her playing the ” oh no, my daddy doesn’t love me so I’ll be evil to everyone” role. To me it doesn’t fully explain her attitude/actions thus far in the series. Hanna having a one nighter w/ a guy THAT creepy (even for Hannah) is unbelievable for me. I def have been missing Shosh, she needs to return, asap. And do parents really just leave their kid (adult or not) at a store for fear of having to spend time with them? Not to mention their kid’s guest for the weekend? IDK, but I hope next week’s episode is more satisfying.
    My fave so far is when Hanah does coke; Without question.

Comment by LaKiesha W – February 26, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this episode was pretty much on par with the Patrick Wilson ep for me … both really highlighted the need for the full cast, including the guys, to make a good half hour. i do enjoy Jessa – but only in the context of all four girls together. highlight – excellent use of an Aimee Mann song!

Comment by Dave – February 27, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where’s this week’s ep recap? It was a big one, so I’m surprised it’s not up…

Comment by CultureVulture – March 4, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too…I’m hoping the site isn’t moving away from Girls just because it has gotten a lot of criticism about covering this show…

Comment by Faster – March 7, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They haven’t done a Girls recap for the past 2 episodes I can only assume that they aren’t covering it anymore

Comment by beth – March 13, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i
    own a similar one and i was just curious if you get a
    lot of spam feedback? If so how do you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?
    I get so much lately it’s driving me mad so any support is very much appreciated.

Comment by glasses – July 23, 2013 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I every time spent my half an hour to read this weblog’s articles or reviews all the time along with a cup of coffee.

Comment by pdf download – July 23, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Appreciation to my father who told me on the topic of this web site, this webpage is in fact awesome.

Comment by esotérico – July 23, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post