Oscars 2013: The Best and Worst Moments

Your hopes and dreams for this year’s Academy Awards: Did they come true?

Much like Best Supporting Actress Anne Hathaway’s, ours did – and by that, we mean that there were plenty of moments that left us cheering, cringing and confused.

RELATED | Oscars 2013: Complete Winners List

The awards featured in the gallery below weren’t handed out during the telecast… but we think they should’ve been. Click through the slideshow below and see if you agree! And when you’re done, take our poll below to grade the show, then hit the comments to give us your take on the crown event of Hollywood’s awards season. What did you like? What did you hate? Sound off!

RELATED | Oscars 2013 Red Carpet: Best & Worst Moments

1. Babybop says:

Ben Affleck’s wife is Jennifer GARNER. Not Aniston. Ha ha ha.

• Rebecca Parker says:

LOL. Well, he was engaged to Aniston in “He’s Just Not That Into You.”

• Olivia says:

Worst Mistake Ever haha, but we forgive them as long as they correct it soon. Love Ben Affleck, I was rooting for him. And, although I know that DDL deserves his Oscar I loved Bradly Cooper in SLP. JLaw, really nice recovery, she’s a bit cursed in her winnings though: The joke nobody understood, the almost rip of her dress and now the fall, what else?

• Meg says:

Garner’s a classy lady, if she can turn that “Gigli” mess into a hot tamale train.

• Rebecca says:

I absolutely adore Ben Affleck. Couple summers ago, he was shooting The Town in my boston neighborhood, he is one of the nicest people and great to his fans! Loved to see him win!

2. Adam says:

The Life of Pi visual effects team weren’t just thanking people when they were cut off by the orchestra, it seemed they were trying to talk about how the VFX studio that had worked on the film had filed for bankruptcy, and the protests that were going on outside of the Oscars.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Yeah they were kinda asking all those rich folks in there for money for their studio. Someone claimed they cut them off asking for help with a charity and I don’t think that is what they were saying.

3. you forgot Velma Kelly. That is unforgivable.

4. Adam Benson says:

Ok i enjoyed the show for the most part, the people i wanted to win did win and all that but sweet merciful crap, the show is way too long and their is al ot of singing and skits that do not need to be on the show. Seth MacFarlene did a fine job but after Franco and Hathaway it is impossible to suck. I hope next year the cut out a lot of unneeded crap.

• Joy says:

It really wasn’t Hathaway that sucked that year, it was Franco. He seemed to enjoy ruining it all. Jerky. I haven’t liked him since and refuse to see his movies. What he did that year was classless.

5. Amanda says:

I only caught The Oscars from the James Bond tribute on, but I thought they were quite good.

And it’s a well-known fact that Christopher Plummer absolutely abhors The Sound of Music (he called it The Sound of Mucus while they were filming, for goodness sake). He’s a time honored actor, at least listen to the man, he hates the musical! I don’t blame him for mentioning something.

• Kvivik says:

the james bond homage sucked. Yes shirley bassey was marvelous, but how about bringing all of the bonds on stage for a once in a life time moment. Connery, Lazenby, Moore, Dalton, Brosnan and Craig would have been a much more fitting tribute…. could have been so much better.

• jm says:

Not only him but mostly all Austrians. I was shocked to know that many dont know that movie and those who knows it, they despise it. The reason is that this movie gives a very bad imagine of austrians as hitler´s followers.

• Kevin Clark says:

Christopher Plummer apparently didn’t abhor The Sound of Music as much as you think as he appeared in a Sound of Music reunion on Oprah in 2010 with Julie Andrews and the rest of the cast.

6. D'Arcy says:

Good win Argo! Well deserved. It’s weird to think that Ben Affleck won the best screenplay award with Matt Damon fifteen years ago for Good Will Hunting!

What a great speech, too.
    Don’t hold grudges. It doesn’t matter that you get knocked down in life… all that matters is that you’ve gotta get up.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

What now amazes me is Ben Affleck could be considered the more successful of the two between he and Matt Damon and he had some pretty rough years in Hollywood. He should have at least been nominated for best director. But no matter what, he has an Oscar for Best Picture and that is rare air. Matt needs to get on his game and win some awards. His wiki Bio has two, both for Good Will Hunting. He’s a great actor that has been in some great films.

7. Melinda says:

JLaw winning was the highlight for me. That’s all I wanted to see. And Anne Hathaway being an original Princess Diaries fan. (I had to go there.)

8. Er.. says:

Pretty sure Ben Affleck is married to Jennifer Garner (not Aniston). ;) Thanks for the recap!

9. McKenzie says:

Seth MacFarlane was not funny, Adele was adorable and John Travolta looked creepy.

And Ben Affleck’s speech was most definitely the best.

• MelindaB says:

When doesn’t Travolta look creepy? At least he got a new rug that’s a *little* better-looking than the old one.

• c-mo says:

He always looks creepy and no, it’s not better, it’s just as horrible as the others! Why oh why do so many men feel it necessary to hide their gray hair or baldness, the fakeness looks awful, why won’t anyone be honest with them and let them know? George Clooney looks even more sexy with his gray hair…I can’ t (read don’t) even imagine what he’d look like with his hair dyed his *natural* color…ugh! Sorry, pet peeve…

10. Kate says:

Worst- Grant Heslov sucking up all the time. He should have been the one rushing to get in under the wire rather than Ben.

• Breeze says:

Hey Kate – they decided that in advance – he even said that he went first to thank Ben for directing the film.

• Kate says:

Then he should have made it short and sweet! He went and moved Ben out of the way, but then took his sweet time as if there wasn’t anyone going after him.

• Alice says:

Ben has been making that speech all season, Golden Globes, SAG, Director’s Guild, BAFTA…. I thought it was nice that they let the producer who wasn’t an actor speak.

11. Morgen says:

Best: Les Miz musical number, Daniel Day-Lewis’ acceptance speech, and Barbra.

12. Alice says:

I remember seeing JLaw’s dress earlier in the show and thinking- Geez, after the Golden Globes you think Dior would send over something a little more stair-friendly.

But her recovery was awesome. She’s been really fun to see all awards season.

13. amylee says:

I watched it live from Australia, and while I enjoyed it. I was mainly watching for Jennifer Lawrence and Ben Affleck. I was so glad when Jennifer won, and as for Ben’s Acceptance speech I completely lost it. So much respect for that man!

14. Anne Hathaway is great, and I wish I didn’t see so much negative stuff about her online. She’s a nice, good person, who preformed wonderfully. Also, Ben Affleck’s speech was so adorable and sweet.

• Dana Aquino says:

You speak of her as if you know her personally…she seems phony and pretentious to me…extremely full of herself…but thats just the vibe im getting from her lately…but since u state she is nice and a good person, ill take ur word for it since u know her and all…

15. Kel says:

Also, poor form of John Travolta for not mentioning that Russell Crowe is an Oscar winner, too during his intro.

16. Don says:

Closing of acknowlegment of losers was way out of line. Holywood psyche has not changed. Shame on you.

• Jules says:

Are you serious? It was funny. And if anyone was actually offended, then they need to get some thicker skin. What I want to know is clearly the song was written in advance…what if Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, etc had actually won? I guess the writers were that sure that they would be losers.

• Suz says:

I’m sure lines were written about each nominee. As they won their lines were pulled. Sketch was read from TelePrompTer and nothing was said about best pic losers but host said Argp 3x before they began song.

• HeatherC says:

Entertainment Weekly had an update about the origins of that last song. Apparently they wrote a rough draft of the song earlier in the day and kept updating it throughout the evening as the awards were given out. So the main parts of the song were written in advance but they changed the names as needed throughout the night. I thought it was pretty funny when I could actually hear it. What was with the sound problems last night??! =(

• Alice says:

They’ve done that at the Tonys for years. They have multiple options for lines and work on it during the show. Then they let Neil Patrick Harris sing the heck out of it.

• Suncatcher says:

Actually, the Oscars have ended its show several times over the years with a musical salute to the “losers”. (Trust me. I’m old). No surprise they did it again this year.

17. ' says:

Look, yes, Seth doesn’t have the best jokes, or sense of time, or even know when stop, but, in his defense, he actually recognized the bad ones, and handled the cloud “bad reactions”. But, putting Seth aside as a host, these year’s Academy Awards was one of the most enjoyables, from the guest to the presenters (let’s ignore that Catherina Zeta Jones wasn’t actually singing, or dancing, and that we don’t understand why they didnt put Latifah or Renée in her place, instead). I was so entertained by the show, that I didn’t mind some strange wins. And… Adele, J-law and Ben Affleck had the most amazing reactions to winning, I could hug them all!!! And Meryl’s excuse of “stepping in my dress” for being, actually, adjusting her panties (C’mon,l if you’re a woman, you know that was it) was very classy of her. And please, can we Have Les Miserables and J-Hud sing every show from now on? *___*

18. Alichat says:

Can we give an award or at least a shout out to Hugh Jackman for being the most gentlemanly in the room? That man shot up and RAN to assist Jennifer Lawrence when she tripped. Fastest gentleman-reflexes in the house!

19. Andrea says:

The show was good. The host (who is he anyway?) was awful. Absolutely loved the musical elements. Felt bad about the fx people. And Ben Affleck rocked!

20. rost10 says:

Jennifer Lawrence won! That’s all.

21. BHSushi says:

Barbra Streisand was the highlight of the Oscars!! No one else came close.

22. Alice says:

Anybody who didn’t think this show was god-awful needs their head examined. Seth MacFarlane is NEVER COMING BACK, and thank God.

• bluedog says:

Hear, hear!

• dan says:

I don’t know if I’ve ever felt this was about an awards-show host, but there was too much of Seth. Usually on these awards shows they use voice-over announcers when cutting to commercials and they also sometimes announce presenters so the host gets a break. I felt like Seth was on stage the whole time and I got tired of seeing him. Some of his stuff was funny, but a little of him goes a long way. I also felt that the show dragged on too long b/c of his lengthy introductions.

23. #1 Fan says:

All I wanted was a proper Castle promo!

24. marge says:

Why in the world did it start at 8:30 (EST,5:30 PST) and not at 8 o’clock?! This one felt like it went on *too* long. But, I loved the musical performances. And HOORAY for Argo, Jennifer Lawrence, and Adele.

25. Rochelle says:

It seems mean spirited but I’m so sick of anne hathaway. I hope the next time she’s nominated she tones the whole schtick down.

26. Cheo says:

MacFarlane was brilliant at times; hampered by the usual dismal scripted bits at others. Piss-poor Bond-music tribute, even though Shirley Bassey killed. Good overall, but it’ll never get better until they eliminate acceptance speeches for all but the top six-seven categories. They need to get this under two hours or so.

27. Ronnie says:

Shirley Bassey, Adele, Babs, and J-Hud were all amazing and were the highlights of the evening. DDL’s acceptance speech was great as well as Tarrantino and Chris Terrio for their writing awards.

28. Amber says:

Michelle Obama was lovely. But can we cut it out with mixing the President and First Lady with Hollywood? We get it already, you love the liberal politicians! Also, can someone trim her bangs? They are in her eyes. But she looked absolutely lovely. As good as any actress. So glad Argo won. Good for Ben Affleck. And how much do I love Jennifer Lawrence? Let me count the ways!

• Jules says:

Totally agree with you. Why was she included in the Oscars? Would you ever have seen Laura Bush up there presenting an award. Hell no. Typical liberal Hollywood. They’re in LOVE with the Obamas. She did look pretty though.

• Cheyenne says:

You know what? I think Michelle Obama is one of the best First Ladies we have ever had, but her appearance at the Oscars, even if beamed in, was totally unnecessary. I wish she hadn’t done it.

She looked absolutely great, though.

• jerzygirl45 says:

Laura Bush was presented as part of a filmed piece for 74th Academy Awards in 2002 on various people discussing movies, and Ronald Reagan filmed a piece for the 53rd Academy Awards. He was also a former president of The Screen Actors Guild

• c-mo says:

Okay so Ronald Reagan was semi-appropriate since he was at least a peer to the crowd at one time in his life but I agree, enough of the politicians regardless of their political affiliation!

• maggie says:

The Oscars wanted to top Clinton being at the Golden Globes. The GG had a former President, so the Oscars got the current First Lady. I wouldn’t be surprised if they originally asked for the President, but were told no, and then asked for the First Lady.

• Joy says:

Totally agree Jules.

• Pat says:

While Laura Bush did not present an award, she did record a piece for a short film that was created for, and shown during, the 2002 Oscars.

• Bobbi says:

I couldn’t agree more with the mixing of the President and First Lady into Hollywood! I am so sick of them popping up all over the place. Talk about overkill! Also the way they had her presented on that screen, made it look like Big Brother was speaking. Just inappropriate in all ways.

• MB says:

Agreed. i thought Michelle did a great job, but I really just wish they would leave politics out of it.

• SpyTV says:

Why is this a big deal? She likes movies, and she didn’t mix politics with giving the award. Amazing what some people complain about.

29. Kel says:

Seth McFarlane must have missed a lot of Charlize Theron’s movies. She takes her clothes off all the time: The Devil’s Advocate, The Cider House Rules, 2 Days in the Valley. You call out Kate Winslet and not Theron- shame!

30. I love, love, love Jennifer Lawrence. I know the previous best actor usually presents the best actress but I was kinda hoping Meryl Streep would after the “First Wives Club” joke at the globes.

So happy Ben Affleck won! Argo was amazing.

Daniel Day-Lewis’ speech was a lot funnier than I expected too.

Some great stand-out moments in an average overall show. Don’t know why everyone is complaining about the time. It was only 3.5 hours. That’s pretty average.

31. Kate says:

Michelle Obama didn’t class up anything. The Obamas need to decide if they want to be Hollywood celebrities or statespersons. The entertainment TV appearances, the parties with Jay Z and Beyonce – it’s all ridiculous and embarrassing.

32. Susan says:

The “Losers” song at the end was Very disrespectful…unbelievable!!!

• Jules says:

Not at all. It was a joke. If they can’t handle it, they shouldn’t be in Hollywood. That’s what comedians do. If you didn’t think it was funny, fine. But disrespectful? Not at all.

• Jay says:

I didn’t see it! It was already 12 when they got to best picture. The last encore of Walking Dead was starting and I can’t miss that.

33. I found Seth dull, self-aggrandizing, and awkward during various points of the show. Shatner was right on with his “Why can’t Amy and Tina host everything?” remark. :)

Jennifer Hudson is formidable – love her! Give her the Junior Diva award of the night. I felt bad for Adele – she was singing and singing up there, and they got the audio balance wrong and almost all we could hear was orchestra.

Barbra was wonderful, but for Senior Diva, Dame Bassey wins the night handily. Wow.

Charlize Theron looked even more stunning than usual.

Poor Anne Hathaway. The dress was a lovely color on her, but those unfortunate darts detracted from the overall look. Still, I think she truly deserved the award.

I actually really liked Naomi Watts’ dress. It was interesting, and looked fantastic on her. Kudos for her for not playing it safe.

34. dj says:

I felt gypped that all the Bond actors weren’t there to come out on stage during the Bond tribute. It would have been fun to see them all together, but my daughter told me they probably couldn’t make it because they were out saving the world.

35. dj says:

My other thought on the night: Why are all the men so hairy and all the women so hairless?

36. Lindsey M says:

As usual the highlights of the show was the music and the winners and of course the upsets (Speilberg I’m crying for you still.) We found out there is a reason McFarlin hadn’t hosted anything befor, the only way next year could be worse is if Tosh 2.0 hosts.
    We all knew Anne Hathaway would win, but it didn’t make it any less of an eye roll. Sally Fields should have won and Anne should have worn a bra.
    Argo and Ben Affleck got exactly what they deserved, recognition and more love!
    I grade it a C, primarily because SM really was the worst host, but other aspects (Les Mis and Chicago productions & J. Law and Ben’s speech) saved it!

37. Lime says:

What about the sound mixing for WORST? I couldn’t hear anyone sing, but I sure could hear the trumpets! Super frustrating.

38. JW says:

I almost hit “Fail” in the poll, because, you know, the Kirk bit. But good show overall and the musical performances were incredible. Shirley Bassey was unbelievable and the highlight of the night.

39. Lorraine says:

I was sad about FLOTUS’ appearance – she’s classy and pretty and all of that but it just politicized what was otherwise a really fun, relaxed evening.

40. James says:

Loved loved Channing and Charlize dancing

41. anil says:

People who think Seth sucked are straight up dumb. He delivered his talents – especially in musical. He did everything, he sang, he joked, he looked great.

Do you guys prefer james franco and ann? lol get a life

• Jay says:

James Franco sucked and I’m pretty sure he was high when he hosted! Seth MacFarlane was the best in years, and appearing as Ted with Mark Walberg was the funniest part of the evening.

42. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

You know, I thought Spielberg would win for Lincoln, then I saw an interview with Ang Lee about how much effort he put into Life of Pi and all the effects and everything and I feel he deserved to win. DDL had it in the bag for Lincoln. Tarantino couldn’t be more right, this is the year of the writer and that was classy of him to, and Ben Affleck to say that in all fairness it could have been any of them up there. And how stupid does the Academy look for not nominating thendirector of the film that won best picture. I assume it’s happened before, probably a lot, but that is lie saying it won despite the director. Stupid.

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

By the way, I could live without the Obamas being forced on us every chance possible. I wonder how much more taxpayer money was wasted on their ego’s just for that live shot. Ad it’s sickening for her to surround herself with military when her husband is behind the sequestration that will probably put them all in the unemployment line.

43. duke says:

DDL gave the best speech…Ben Affleck was rambling on and on.
    Adele speeches are always adorable and from the heart (imo)
    Meryl Streep knew DDL and she didnt bother opening the envelope lol
    Jack Nicholson the ultimate hollywood guy

44. sarcasmo says:

Can someone please explain the appeal of sourpuss Kristen Stewart? Why was she there and why can’t she ever smile? Or at least not look like she’s about to go postal?

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Every time I see her, I think Grumpy Cat from the internet. But I like Grumpy cat.

• HTGRWHOM says:

She just gets crazy nervous I think. Look at her appearances on late night talk shows and she always seems about 1 second away from crossing into a panic attack and falls into all sorts of tics and mannerisms that people take as her being grumpy and disaffected and bored, reading it all wrong.

45. bluedog says:

Oh dear. After decades of enjoying the bizarre blend of siliconed cheeziness & oft so well deserved self-congratulation that is the Oscar telecast… never have I seen one with so many ill-considered jokes & bloody awful timing! But the movies…. the movies & performances this year were spectacular, every one! Any of the nominees could have won & it would have been the right choice!!!

46. skrable2 says:

MacFarlane’s humor goes over better with viewers than with those in that particular audience. As schmaltzy as it is, the Oscars are about honoring the best films of the year. The best hosts know how to walk the line between poking fun at them and showing a level of class and taste that MacFarlane lacked.

One thing I found exceptionally odd was that it seemed as though the auditorium announcer introduced presenters almost as often as MacFarlane did, and 3 or 4 times he did the “coming list these stars will be here when we come back” tease.

And sticking the orchestra across town???

DDL’s speech was terrific, and there was some actual humanity on display. But it seemed as though MacFarlane wasn’t connected to the show. Carson and Crystal espeically would refer to what just happened on stage and have a joke ready. It gave the show a flow that was missing.

The unsung hero was Daniel Radcliffe. Singing, dancing and remaining a pro next to that trainwreck actress

• Lia says:

Radcliffe? I like him overall, but he’s no hero. Kristen Stewart went to the Oscars using crutches and he wasn’t a gentleman enough to offer her his arm instead of having her limp on stage. She’s some kinda of pain – it was obvious by her walk, look and sigh when she got near the microphone.

• Leslie says:

He DID offer to help her and she waved him off! Even without her infliction he could never help her bitch face attitude towards everything! If she always so sour why is she even IN this business?

47. Joy says:

My favorites were Anne Hathaway winning for Les Miserables (I think it should have won all the awards it was nominated for. It was the best movie I saw all year) and the part when the cast of Les Miserables sang. It was incredible and sent chills up my spine it was so beautiful. Can’t wait for the DVD to come out.

48. the most annoying person was seth macfarlane’s sister in her gucci dress striking a hollywood pose with her hand on her hip, what a joke. and she waved away someone like she was the queen.

49. Belle says:

Way TOO much singing…it’s not a Musical!!!! If you cut out the song and dance stuff the show would be a whole lot easier to sit through from start to finish for those of us at home. #justsaying