Vampire Diaries Boss Reveals Why She Killed Off [Spoiler]! Plus: Scoop on Elena's New 'Happy Place,' Bonnie's 'Visions' and More!

Stand by MeThe following interview contains spoilers from Thursday’s episode of The Vampire Diaries. If you have yet to watch, avert your eyes now.

On Thursday’s Vampire Diaries, Elena found a shocking way to deal with the harsh reality that her brother was dead: As instructed by Damon, she shut off her humanity, then later burned down her house with Jeremy’s body in it. Goodbye home, goodbye brother, goodbye old Elena!

Meanwhile, Bonnie bought into Shane’s crazy plane to bring back her dead loved ones — but it was actually Silas guiding her!

Below, executive producer Julie Plec answers our burning questions about Elena’s new humanity-free state, Jeremy’s death, Bonnie’s dangerous encounter and much more.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Finds a New Witch

TVLINE | I imagine killing off Jeremy was not an easy choice. Why did you feel it was necessary to kill him?
This whole year has been about the evolution of Elena as a vampire, starting from a girl who expressly claimed it was the last thing she wanted. And then just as she was finally getting a handle on it, the sire bond problem reared its ugly head. We knew we wanted to get her to the darkest place possible, so that Elena, the most compassionate character, would become dis-compassionate and turn her humanity off. So we knew we had to tear someone extremely important out of her life. Everybody is equally important to her, but when you really think about it, it’s her protectiveness of her brother that kept her together. Tearing her brother away from her would be the thing that would make her fall apart.

TVLINE | Obviously, the death of her brother is not something Elena can get over quickly, so is it safe to say she’ll be humanity-free for a sizable chunk of the season?
It’s safe to say that it’s going to be very difficult to bring her back from this place that she finds [herself in], which ironically, in spite of it being relatively emotionless, is actually her new happy place because it is a place with no pain, no guilt, no suffering and no extremes other than just an appreciation for life as a vampire and a desire to feed.

TVLINE | How is humanity-free Elena different from Katherine?
Everything Katherine does is a sexual manipulation, is in her own best interest, for her own survival. She will plead and flirt and tease and lie and mindf—, excuse my language, anyone and everyone in order to fill her own best interest. Elena is more blunt and honest and, “It is what it is, and I am what I am and want what I want. And right now I would like to feed on that girl over there. And I resent you for trying to stop me.” Elena is just more direct about getting exactly what it is that she wants. She doesn’t need to rely on the tricks that Katherine has to pull out of her bag.

TVLINE | Will we also see a more reckless, fun side of her now that she doesn’t have this human responsibility on her?
Yes, without a doubt. Elena has not had the easiest time of it, becoming a vampire. We didn’t want her to just jump right into the wish fulfillment side of vampirism, although I’m sure there’s plenty in the audience who would have enjoyed that. But that felt counter-intuitive to this character that we had defended so strongly as a human. Now, suddenly, we get to experience those things of what it’s like to be a vampire, party all night, never grow old, never die.

RELATED | The CW Orders Early Renewals for Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow

TVLINE | How is her new state going to affect her relationship and her feelings for Damon?
That is the big question. What is the truth of what she feels? How does the sire bond play into all this. What is their dynamic going to be moving forward when she’s not driven by a love for him necessarily. A lot of questions come up and get answered in the next couple episodes.

TVLINE | Are they still in a relationship?
We’ll have to find out.

TVLINE | Will the fact that he was the one who told her to do this cause trouble for them later? Or between him and Stefan?
When all is said and done, everybody recognized that in the worst possible scenario, which is what they were in, it truly was the only viable solution. It doesn’t make it good. It doesn’t make it happy. But it really was the thing that needed to happen to release her from her pain. So I don’t think anyone’s going to hold a grudge.

Stand by MeTVLINE | Meanwhile, all of Elena’s supernatural friends have their humanity, so how are they dealing with this new aspect of her?
It’s difficult for all of them. As we’ll see in the next episode, it becomes most difficult for Caroline, who as a fixer and a people [person], is trying to get her friend back on track. But Elena’s not really having it so much.

TVLINE | Is there any significance to the fact that she gave the Gilbert ring to Damon? Why not give it to Matt? He could use it.
She, in her moment, was like, “OK, this doesn’t work anymore. So here, have it.” I can say this may not be the last we see of that Gilbert ring in the series. But right now, it’s just out of play.

RELATED | Claire Holt Joins Vampire Diaries Spin-Off

TVLINE | Was Bonnie seeing a vision of Silas? Or was he actually physically taking on the form of Shane?
That is another question we’ll have to be asking ourselves. What we’ve seen about Silas in the caves is that he can appear as a hallucination…. So the question is, is that what’s happening here? Or is he physically standing before her? Does he look like Shane? Is he taking on Shane’s form? What is going on? What is this guy capable of?

TVLINE | How dark will Bonnie’s path get? Will she continue to try to carry out this plan and kill 12 people?
Bonnie is being extremely controlled and manipulated right now by this Shane/Silas figure. We’ll see that escalate over the next several episodes to its breaking point.

TVLINE | Will Shane on the island survive?
As far as we know, Shane on the island has met his terrible demise, although we did not see him take his last breath. You never know on this show.

TVLINE | Now that Katherine has the cure, will she play a bigger role this season?
That was definitely not the last we’ll see of Katherine.

1. Melinda says:

That was a beautifully written episode. I wouldn’t mind if Julie wrote more by herself.

• Vamp Sister says:

I say take the damned pen out of Julie P’s hand altogether!! She sucks! How can you have a show that has such a huge following of devoted fans and not understand that it is because those fans connect and love the characters in the show that it is so successful?!?!? If Julie keeps writing, it will become “The Diary of Whiny Elena” because Damon, Stefan and everyone BUT Elena will eventually be killed off!!! I get that they needed to change Elena, been saying that all year myself, and I may actually start liking Elena again now that she is bad-ass instead of fragile and annoyingly whiny. BUT, I also believe that it could have been achieved in a different way. Steven R. McQueen is a really good young talent and Jeremy was a much loved character. Julie had wasted his talent for far too long. Now that Jeremy FINALLY got a good story line, they kill him off. That just sucks. There could have been so many ways they could have played Jeremy’s story out. And am I the only one who was enraged at the disgusting way they treated Jeremy after they so unceremoniously killed him??? “What’s that smell?” SERIOUSLY?!?!? Show a little more respect to a great character who was killed off way too soon! BOO TO YOU, JULIE PLEC! You were wrong on this one. Why can’t Kevin Williamson get her under control? At least when they killed off Alaric, it was fitting in the end the way it played out. (Not so much for Aunt Jenna though!) I have been a long time fan of Kevin Williamson and I hope he can salvage Julie’s disaster. As for VPD…….it is going to be hard for me to hang in there. Much more of this crap and i am done. This is from a fan so devoted and in love with the show that i have actually made my entire circle of friends start watching! We talk about it every week, and obsess over what we think will happen next. It is no longer fun to do that. Between killing everyone off and taking the Originals away, there’s not much left for me to come back for. By the way, I agree with “Sunshine” who commented that killing Jeremy off was taking the predictable and easy way out. I think we all totally saw it coming….just kept hoping the writers would smarten up and change their minds.

• Amy says:

Nothing about this post suggests that you are a “devoted” fan, you know. From calling it VPD (Seriously? No, SERIOUSLY?) to hatred of the main character to clearly not even knowing who’s the current show-runner. Maybe you should just sit this one out and wait and see if Originals is more your speed.

• treadsofly88 says:

i totally agree with this whole post. i love this show a lot but you’re right: you can’t keep killing characters off and expect fans to enjoy the show. it’s just so damn sad and depressing. i want to keep watching and seeing how they’ll salvage this. but bad move all around.

• yea its like starting out with a selection of chips and taking them away one at a time until ur left with salt and viniger . some will eat them but the business will die off to nothing

• Dommy says:

Like seriously are u guyz kidding? Jeremy’s death is really pissing me off he is not suppose 2 die, even though he behaves like an ass at times. Whats all dis about elena’s humanity switching on & off, sire bond 2 damon? Seriously julie this is character assasination! Elena can have a new personality not this eich….

• Shaun says:

I’m wondering if he’ll even stay dead. They keep hinting that he (and others) can be brought back. Not to mention, why did they kill him off in February sweeps? Why not the season finale? Is it to see how the audience reacts and if they don’t like it, they’ll have enough time to undo it? I personally think it’s stupid because he’s the last remaining family member for her. If this permanent, I’m done. Her parents were one thing. They hardly focus on Jenna and kill her off. The mother kills herself and then her father figure Alaric dies. Now Jeremy. Ridiculous. I’m hoping the fact that they didn’t do this for a season finale means it’s not permanent and they’ll find a way to bring him back. Perhaps Bonnie will die to bring him back.

• Cici says:

Totally agree with everything you wrote vamp sister, I have lost interest after seeing jeremy killed of, even while he’s dead everything is all about elena, already as if jeremy is forgotten. I still have hope that somehow Steven r mcqueen will return and jeremy can be brought back, I think they went too far by killing him off.

• Triston Coleman says:

I AGREE I UNDERSTAND THE IS ABOUT ELANA BUT WHAT MADE THE SHOW DIFFERENT AND DO RELATEABLE WAS THE CHARACTERS EACH ONE NOT JUST ELANA KILLING JEREMEY IS ONLY GOING TO MAKE THE FANS FEEL THE SHOW IS LOOSING IT’S HOLE PLOT WHO WANTS TWO KATHERINE’S THE SHOW HAS ONE ALREADY NO ROOM FOR ANOTHER ONE KILLING JEREMEY SO ELANA CAN SHUT OFF HER HUMANITY SWITCH IS LAME THEY COULD HAVE TAKEN THE SHOW IN SO MANY DIRECTIONS AND KEPT IT INTERESTING BUT THIS IS JUST STUPID AND PERSONLIY ALLOT PEOPLE ARE GETTING SICK OF EVERYTHING BEING ABOUT WHINNY ELANA THERE’S OTHER CHARACTERS THAT PEOPLE LOVE AND WATCH EVERY WEEK CUZ THERE ON THE SHOW THIS IS JUST RETARDED

• Ruby says:

I actually felt second-hand embarrassment reading this post.

• Onebbap says:

I personally think you aren’t really a devoted fan at all. First and foremost: Yes, it was upsetting that Jeremy got killed off but in all seriousness: how long could they really keep this whole “hunter” story line up? He wasn’t even a major character. He had a devoted fan base but I honestly didn’t see where this was going. Please enlighten me with all the other ways they could have shut off her humanity. I honestly cried more when rick died. Jeremy’s death was innevitable. In order for the writters to explore all corners of Elena’s new phase, they had to do drastic. And what better way to do it then by getting rid of the last, and only, tie to her old life. Secondly, the show is about Elena. This was pretty much established on the first episode. I don’t know why you keep on watching if you don’t even like her seeing as the WHOLE entire show basically revolves around her. Don’t like it? Don’t watch it. Simple as that .

• Vamp fan says:

You’re a B****!! No one saw that coming. It was a necessary twist in the plot!!! To make the story interesting. If a beloved character doesn’t die every now and then on a show like this, people won’t watch it!!! Thats the show!!! Vampires + Witches + Werewolves = DEATH. This is’nt Twilight!! It’s not a lovey dovey sparkling vampire show!! So get over yourself!! For all we now, they might bring him back now that Silas is around

• An Actual Sane Vamp Fan says:

Holy snap, person. It’s a fricking show, not the end of the world. If nobody died then it wouldn’t be real. Simple as that. Just because you don’t like it and someone does or vice versa doesn’t mean you have to go all crazy on their ass. Just deal with it.
          Jeremy was an idiot. The only reason people liked him was because he was gorgeous. If he was ugly then nobody would have given a sh**.

• Robert Wood says:

It sound like we have a few people who work on this show trying to explain how Jeremy’s death was needed, Bull_st!! your just trying to save face now that you made a bad mistake that you need to fix! Sure I get it a beloved character can sometimes die but when you kill off main characters this early on in the show every season sooner or later you will lose the interest of the audience, like I am losing interest. just like they are doing on the Walking Dead. Its the same old crap every season I am tired of it! Juli needs to stop it already!

• I agree . If it stays on this track i believe we are seeing the beginning of the end . You have to give the consumer what they want or they’ll shop somewhere else . The writer or writers have decided to drag out this whole season and i believe people are going to start loosing intrest .

• unknown! says:

I think it was a good idea to cut jeremy off he was as much a whiny baby as Elena was in episode 15. U just need to calm down and get over it if it werent for julie plec and kevin williamson there would be No Vampire Diaries. So suck it up!

• Jessica says:

Yeah all I can say is that I was in denial about his death…and now that I know that he has been killed off, I’m not happy. He was one of my fave characters…and I don’t see why he needed to die just to send Elena to a “dark side”. There were only two humans left in the show who had no supernatural power and now its just Matt. I’m really disappointed to be honest. I love this show so much and I don’t think he needed to die at all.

• fearmotor says:

I think she’s doing great! VAMPIRE DIARIES is great the way it is! I didn’t bother to read your entire post, but that first sentence bothered me a little

• Triston Coleman says:

• Triston Coleman says:

Well I think this was huge mistake killing Jeremy allot of FANS ARE REALLY UPSET AND QUESTING IF THEY’LL CONTINUE WATCHING THE SHOW IT’S GETTING LAME NO ONE CARES ABOUT ELANA HUMANITY SWITCH ALL YOU’LL HAVE IS TWO KATHERINE’S WHAT MADE THE SHOW WAS THE LOVE AND BOND OF ALL THE CREW HUGE MISTAKE ON THIS BRING JERMEY BACK OR YOUR GONNA LOOSE ALLOT OF FANS

• kelly says:

I totally agree they shouldnt of killed jeremy off yes hes good lucking but thats not the only reason i think they should bring him back jeremy was the only family elaina had left technically other than damon n stephan shes got nothing live for btw doesnt mean i want her killed of either its not gonna be the same without jeremy.

• Shawna says:

YA I HAVE TO AGREE WITH TRISTON COLEMAN, I think killing off jeremey was studio suicuide for the show I’m a writer as well, working in industry long time I would have taken the story in another directi

• i agree with triston whole heartdly they need a way to bring back jeremy if u look around at sites you cant anything that says he is done on the show or what is gonna happen some sites say he was deceased one day and then the next day it is gone and says nothing about him being dead in his cast bio it does so who knows what is going on but maybe they wont update anything yet because he still gonna appear in 3 episodes for sure this season

• they were sneaky, jeremy was killed off after they knew they were renewed sneaky buggers

• Shawna says:

• lauren says:

Ok. Shawna, f.y.I you call yourself a writer? Writer of what? A network, a singer, children books or just trash? Yeah I have some valuable advice for you: if you were a writer, or even if you are currently a struggling writer, go back to school please! You can’t even spell words correctly. Do us all a favor please everyone of you if you think you can do better as a top series on a top network then go do it stop commenting on this show and its direction and please, be my guest and write out what u think couldn’t happened that wouldn’t taken a 360 turn and shocked every fan or non fan out there. You see the show is getting everything they’d hope for negative or positive feedback its still working. You are the fools. I don’t think u have a freakin g.d clue as to what this show needs and in my opinion I am hooked and I’ll continue to watch(obviously) just like all you will to!! To see what the fate is of Jeremy Gilbert. Shut up

• Nikki says:

someone is a bit moody….

• Kayla says:

I absolutely agree with ur post Lauren I mean come on ppl stop hating on Julie plec she’s writing a supernatural show about vampires obv ppl r gonna die and sometimes it’s gonna be ppl we rlly love but if they didn’t kill off ne 1 it would just get boring n they’d have 2 many characters and too many storylines I mean it rlly sucks that jer is gone and that last ep was absolutely heartbreaking but that’s what made it such a great ep because it was so emotionally raw and gut wrenching and I thought it was 1 of the best in the series prob won’t be able 2 watch it again lol but still 1 of the best n most emotional plus if u were paying attention it was kind if obvious something was gonna happen 2 Jer since Elena kept saying he was her last link 2 being human and her humanity so I kind of figured something would happen 2 him :( R.I.P little gilbert you will be missed and hopefully Steven goes on 2 do amazing things

• Robert Wood says:

Oh my another person who works on the show trying to cover their butts.

• strangepretzel says:

Be honest. You’re not a writer. Also you and Triston Coleman are the same person (random all caps, bad spelling/grammar, Elena/Elana error, multiple unfinished posts, etc.). You know it’s true. That being said, I liked Jeremy and his death was definitely avoidable. Killing him was lame but I think I can live with it.

• Shawna says:

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH TRISTON COLEMAN. Killing jeremey was network sucide fans never want to see main characters that been on the for the beginning killed off, as writer myself make no sence why they went in this direction I’m a solid VD fan. This kinda of through me for a loop I don’t know if ill continue watching the show after this kathrine has the cure and jermey dead which includes all of ELANA family and now ELANA turned off her humanity switch starting to be more like a sopra rather then a really good show. I hope the show can recover from this bad angle because allot of fans are really upset that they killed jeremey and just like ONE TREE HILL AFTER THEY GOT RID OF LUCAS AND PATIN THE SHOW DIDN’T SURVIVE ANOTHER SEASON

• Danielle says:

Actually, OTH went on for THREE more seasons after Lucas and Peyton left, and they were good seasons.

• Ruby says:

How on earth are you a writer? You don’t even know what a punctuation mark is or how to post in one try.

• Faster says:

If you all are leaving the show because it didn’t go the way you wanted then you weren’t a fan in the first place. You really think the writers care what a handful of you think? Good riddance.

2. Josh says:

Here’s the issue with this turned off humanity…If our main character becomes a brutal killer, it will be harder to go back from that…It’s hard enough for me to care about Damon, Stefan or Klaus(especially Klaus) but this is our main character. The show’s vampire mythology is so effed up.

Either way, yay for Elena getting her own storyline

• Michael says:

Angel went on a murderous rampage in both Buffy AND in Angel. Most of the characters in vampire lore, even ones with consciences, slip up or lose it completely. If they find their ways back, we usually forgive them.(Unlike Elena, Stephan and Damon, Klaus has no redeeming qualities whatsoever…I will have a problem watching the Originals because I find it inconceivable that I will want to root for him in any way whatsoever.)

• Faster says:

I agree. I think the whole point of vampires in fiction nowadays is that yeah, they do horrible things, because that’s what vampires do. But they have redeeming, human-like qualities. It’s ultimately fiction. And having Elena “go dark” as it were is the best things this show could do right now. Can’t wait.

• Ckfirestar says:

Angel didn’t, Angelus did. There wasn’t this stupid “humanity switch” in Buffy, vampires were demon souls in human bodies (except for Angel ((and then Spike)) who also had their human soul as well as the demon soul. Angel would become Angelus when his human soul was removed from his body, he isn’t accountable for what his body did while possessed by a demon.

• letsbehonest says:

Not trying to start anything here but I still call BS on the whole “vampires need a soul to do good” thing. Spike in season five and (parts of) six proved otherwise. It all ties back, IMO, on who the vamp was as a human. William was a caring, devoted human being while Liam was a womanizing prick. Multiply that by 1000 (and add 100 years of being cursed with a mortal soul) and that’s how you get the sociopathic monster that is Angelus. Also, Angel was plenty capable of being an asshole soul-intact, as seen in season 2 of Angel. I much prefer the humanity switch in TVD.

• Spike still repeatedly tried to kill or attack various other main characters, tried to have his chip removed, stalked Buffy almost relentlessly, tried to manipulate her into leaving her family/friends and calling behind and give into the demonic nature he believed was at the root of her, and he tried to rape her, regardless. Spike was evil, a monster lacking any moral compass. He didn’t help Buffy or the gang out because he truly cared about them, he did so because his chip malfunctioned just enough for him to indulge his murderous tendencies by killing demons, and proved once again that he was nothing but a monster later on by beating on Buffy when he found out he could hit her too. BtVS’ take on demons and their morality issues is far more credible and satisfying, at least to me. Yes, Spike was much more human than Angelus in terms of his emotional capacity, because of the kind of human he was, just like you said. But at the end of it all, both Spike and Angelus were demons without a conscience, regardless. Spike was so obsessed with his idea of “love” for Buffy that he never tried to kill Dawn or have her hurt (as far as I can remember) but it was never truly about him doing right, it was about him wanting/needing to get into Buffy’s pants. He felt honoured when Buffy made him feel like a man, whereas Angelus was repulsed by the notion, but as soon as Spike had her he treated her horribly, and he definitely would’ve done worse (like Angelus) if he had no chip in his head. It all only came to a head when Buffy stopped him from forcing himself onto her. He realised he was wrong, but he still didn’t realise WHY his actions were wrong. Because he couldn’t. TVD vamps know when they’re wrong, they just don’t care unless it serves them in the moment, and the writers play with that far too much, in my opinion. On BtVS, ensouled vampires really can’t be held guilty for their actions when they were soulless, whereas on TVD, everything is pure grey area. It’s all muddled to fit each story arc and/or further any sexual relationship between characters. That’s why I can’t stand TVD’s stupid “humanity” switch. Various characters have debunked the whole idea of it various times, too, which again suggests they all just do what they want, and they choose to let their former human personalities dictate that somewhat or not. Unless they’re compelled to turn it off, like Stefan was by Klaus, and now unfortunately Elena by Damon, it’s all choice. Which means more times than not, each of the characters just chooses to be a raging psychotic sociopath. And I hate that romanticising that kind of character trait (the males in particular) is truly what The Vampire Diaries is all about. BtVS is far more realistic, and fantasy always has reality at its root. Or should.

• beth says:

Elena isn’t the main character. Stefan is.

3. Mary says:

AWESOME episode! I, like Elena, was holding onto hope that Jeremy would be brought back or not really “dead.” Then…when Matt lost it in the truck…so did I. I knew that was it….it was over for our beloved Jeremy. Can’t wait to see what else will happen this season on TVD!

4. Why couldnt you ask how itll effect her relationship with STEFAN as well. Ugh i hate bias articles.

• Liz says:

Why would they ask how her relationship with Stefan would change? She’s in a relationship with Damon. It’s not bias. It’s just where the story is right now.

• Liz says:

Maybe because Stelena fans still exist and they want to know if there’s any hope.

• Lena says:

Naturally Stelena fans still exist, but they had several seasons to enjoy their couple. That relationship is over for now. There is no romantic “anything” between Stefan and Elena so asking about it is pointless. TVLINE was right for staying on what is happening in the show NOW.

• TP says:

Stefan and Elena fans will always exist because Stefan and Elena is supposed to be the core love story of the show. TVLINE is bias as well as Wetpaint & Zap It, not everyone gives a crap about Damon and Elena. If they want to keep Stefan and Elena fans too they need to at least give us hope. They are the reason I kept watching the show b/c their love was true and not b/c of some sire bond. There is no reason why her love for Stefan didn’t heighten when she became a vampire other than satisfying Damon and Elena fans. Damon and Elena should have never slept together, sire bond or not. They shouldn’t have killed Jeremy and burned Elena’s house down either. What’s the point in killing off main characters from S1? There is not going to be anyone left but the trio and who wants to watch Elena keep going back and forth between the brothers. If the writing doesn’t change I don’t see the show going past S5

• hie says:

Well, i completely agree with you, Lena. The interview is about what is happening in the show right now. I can’t believe that SE fans still want another season after 3 seasons of Stelena being together. I’m here to remember that this is still a love triangle and DE must have their time to show their relationship. And they’re still saying that DE love is created by the sire bond. Seriously, guys? Elena’s feelings for Damon is completely REAL. Actually, the sire bond was only created because she had feelings for him before she turned. Sire bond is just a obstacle for Delena’s love story (DE fans have wished for their relationship for SO LONG)!

Sorry for my english.

• Faster says:

I don’t understand why Stefan fans even want him with Elena. He’s such a better character without her.

• foxxtalltrees says:

YES! THANK YOU!!! Stephen is MUCH better w/o Elena. Although I will truly miss Jeremy, maybe No Humanity Elena will stop being the self rightous self absorbed so and so that everyone risks life and limb for. I look forward to the change. BTW can we please give Bonnie a decent love interest, PLEASE? The other 2 main ladies have 2 or more guys fighting for their hand. I know it’s not the Bonnie Show but gee, show a chick some love. She must be the only virgin in Mystic Falls.

5. Ashley says:

This makes it feel like he won’t even be returning if Bonnie pulls off that ‘break the veil’ thing, if it’s even what she’s being led to believe it is. Along with burning his body makes it feel like the most definitive death on the show. I hope Steven can get on a pilot or existing series that will use him well, instead of giving him his best stuff solely as a means to kill him.

6. So, if I get it right, they killed off a regular character just to give Elena once again more “feelings”. Well then. Bye, TVD, you won’t be missed. This was the last straw for me personally.

• Liz says:

Elena is the main character of the show. The story revolves around her and has for four seasons. That’s not going to change.

• This interview confirmed that all the characters are just puppets to be used as the writers need to push Elena. All that’s happening to THEM isn’t to make THEM more 3D, it’s just to push Elena. When a writer is asked about why they killed a regular character and they don’t say one word about HIM, when all they talk only about how his death will affect the lead, it tells me all I need to know about what they think of the ensemble. Puppets, nothing more. Good to know.

• beth says:

STEFAN is the main character… not Elena.

• May says:

They didn’t kill off Jeremy to give Elena “more feelings” they killed Jeremy off as a plot device designed for Elena to delve into the darker side of being a vampire. TV shows have been killing off characters as plot devices for years.

• keys says:

ok tv shows have always killed off there characters, darn thats all TVD does is kill everybody off i agree with Kati bye bye TVD for me. that was the last straw nobody else is left on that show.

• Liz M says:

So many people have died to cater to Elena’s story. I get that she is the female lead, I get that they felt it was needed to move the story forward but seriously enough is enough.

• G G says:

Me to I am so mad they killed off Jeremy I will not b watghing the show any more

• You basically repeated what I said. Instead of exploring the ensemble, making the characters and universe richer, they kill off another one to make Elena once more emotionally unstable and woe is me. This isn’t Supernatural with two regular characters, Elena might be the lead, but this is an ensemble show. But whenever someone gets actually something to do, it gets subverted so that it’s all about Elena again. For me, enough is enough. I’m done.

• Anon says:

Let’s look at who has died specifically to move Elena forward….Jeremy, Jenna, John & her bio Mum. Alaric died and that affected not only Elena but Jeremy and Damon massively, who still keeps his bar stool for him. Lexi died and that was about Stefan. Andi and Rose died and that was about Damon. Vicki died and that was about Jeremy and Matt. Let’s not forget Anna either, who was about Jeremy. Grams died and that was about Bonnie. Caroline’s dad died and that was about Caroline. Yes all these deaths had an affect on Elena but they were not all to move her character forward, they moved other characters forward and had an affect on the characters as a whole.
          Elena, Damon and Stefan are the central characters, so of course things are going to centre around them. For me it makes sense that the loss of someone like Jeremy would take Elena to her darkest place for them to flip the humanity switch. A lot of TV show’s have sacrificed a character so that they can create the drama or conditions necessary to explore another side of a character.

• Ruby says:

This is the most logical post I’ve read here so far. It never ceases to amaze me how “fandom” tends to pick some random side character and pretend that the show is all about them and then when the writers show them that indeed, THEY get to choose the main characters, said fans have an utter meltdown. Of course they still watch, even when they say they won’t, and then just stick around the message boards and make everyone miserable. Sigh.

• Faster says:

Agree, and Ruby hit the nail on the head.

• betty nigeria says:

Nice one there. I believe d show will step up with time. Btw I’m a damon n elena fan. ;) .

• jane says:

I u nderstand how people feel about jeremys death but if you think about it thats wat they used to turn elena bad right? This whole time the characters are trying to figure out how to bring elena back, when akk they need to do is bring jeremy back.. hint: they keep mentioning bringing bak people from death.. I think its just the writers wanting to show versitile personalities of elena.. but in the end the good in her will take over and she will go bak w stefan…

• Eri says:

It’s a vampire show. People have to die. No matter who dies, someone’s gonna be affected and changed by it. Deal with it

• niki says:

totally agree that was the last episode of TVD ill b watching something tells me that was a BIG mistake for that show me and 5 of my friends have said hats the point in careing about charactors on that show when they could b gone at any moment bye bye TVD

• orhan94 says:

I kinda like the fact that VD is a balls-y show in that manner, since it doesn’t make life-threatening cliffhangers cheap since they are open to sometimes go with them. I know that comparing VD and True Blood is a flame war waiting to happen, but the way that VD isn’t afraid of having so many twists and so many deaths and lesser and bigger game-changers, it kind of makes me wish True Blood took more risks too (for example, they were building up, both in-show and in interviews, a blood-filled finale with a lot of deaths – which did happen but it only featured the deaths of unnamed characters and the seasonal antagonists). I like the fact that so far into it’s run VD can still surprise me on basically an episodical basis and the fact that caring for (some of) these characters pays-off when they do things like this. Killing Jeremy (who I kinda liked as a character more than most of the other regular and recurring ones) is my reason to stay with this show, not leave it.

• Meredith says:

Well written!

• Repeater offender says:

His contract was up. Big deal! Its the same reasonw hy they kill off characters on Downton Abbey every week.

• Tiffany says:

Nicely said, I agree with you whole-heartedly. Might I also add that death is such an inevitable part of life, and when you add in all of this supernatural properties, it is even more inevitable. I don’t know why people expect every single character in television shows or movies to live a long and healthy life. It’s just not realistic.

• Radha says:

Um, so because it’s not realistic then I assume you feel people should just get over his death, right? If we’re upset, then we have a right to be upset.

• Faster says:

Agree completely. I often find myself more impressed with the direction and execution of plot twists on TVD than TrueBlood, but I do love them both.

• Ruby says:

Yeah it sounds like you and your friends need to stick to cartoon network where everything is sunshine and rainbows.

• Kirstyn says:

I completely agree. This is it. It’s not like they’re killing off characters that come and go. They are characters that will be missed. It feels like I’ve lost someone. Lol. I’m sick of it. All for Elena’s plot. I don’t care if its “her” show. She’s getting too needy for me. Don’t you agree?

• Faster says:

That’s pretty ridiculous. This is how shows go. And let’s be honest, Jeremy hasn’t had a decent plot for awhile. Him turning into the hunter was a pretty big signal that his only remaining “duty” on the show was to lead them to the cure. It was pretty obvious that this was where the show was going.

• I don’t know what’s so ridiculous about it. Plec is asked about Jeremy’s death, that it must’ve been hard to kill him off – and she goes on about Elena this and that, not a word about Jeremy. That tells me all I need to know about how “hard” killing him off was. I thought that creators cared about their characters. Plec obviously doesn’t, except for a handful of favorites. And thus, I don’t see a reason to care about her show anymore. It’s as easy as that. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

• Demi says:

Obviously if you’re saying TVD won’t be missed, you were never a fan. And if you were never a fan, don’t bother wasting your breath. This is a show about VAMPIRES,WITCHES, WEREWOLVES, HYBRIDS, ETC. obviously ALL the character can’t live and be gloriously happy all of the time. It’s called a drama. You’re not watching 7th Heaven for crying out loud. TVD is superbly written and has millions of fans all over the world. YOU won’t be missed either.

• Good grief, yes, make it all about me. I liked the show just fine. I was not obsessed with it to the point of being blind to its faults. It was pretty enjoyable but not anymore. I don’t like what it turned into, so no, I won’t miss it. And instead of continuing to watch it and hate on it, I’m moving on. And since you don’t know me, I don’t doubt you won’t miss me. The feeling is mutual.

7. Fabe says:

I hope that her humanity is gone for a large chunk in the rest of this season! I want it to be a 4 to 5 episode arc minimum! I’m interested to see how the rest of season 4 plays out!! Can’t wait to see more of Katherine (they better not kill her off!)!

• me says:

tvd has like 6 episoades left…..probably by the end of the season she will be normal…..but i expect to see damon turning human…..

• Lynece says:

I do not think Damon would make as a human, he would commit suicide. I would love Alaric to come back. Why is about AAEG all about Elena Gilbert. Just saying!

• TP says:

They have 7 or 8 episodes left. They usually do 22 episodes but added 1 this year but not sure if 1 of them is for the “Originals” pilot or if TVD will actually have all 23.

• Ruby says:

I’m pretty sure Katherine will be the last one standing at the end of this show. Nobody is smarter or knows how to survive better than she does.

8. me says:

Vamp Crazy elena……..I LOVE IT. nina rocks when she is BAD. i totally want to see the last chapter of TVD. and jer death ….sad but….the show needed this death to change the dynamic

9. Jessie says:

Honestly, I still can’t believe they killed off Jeremy. I get wanting Elena to be in the darkest place possible, but EVERY SINGLE family member of hers is dead. It’s a little ridiculous that Elena and Jeremy were even still remaining in Mystic Falls. And now Michael Trevino is gone, the Originals are getting a spin-off … there aren’t many characters left, and I abhor the idea of getting a bunch of new cast members next season.

• Bre says:

What? Michael Trevino isn’t coming back? How’d I miss that, Tyler is one of my favorite characters on the show.

• Larry says:

Serously, if Klaus is in New Orleans why wouldn’t Tyler return back to Mystic Falls? Michael was written off as a plot device just like previous seasons. There is nothing out there yet that says he is leaving the show.

• Sam says:

Couldn’t agree more, though I hope Trevino isn’t gone for good.

I understand wanting Elena to turn off her humanity and that killing someone she loved was the easiest way to achieve that…but was it the right one? Was it worth it to kill a main character just to get Elena to ‘let loose’ her vampire side for a few episodes?

Ugh, I am so not interested in tons of new players next year. We’ve finally got the cast shrunken down so that everyone should be able to have a decent amount of screen-time in every episode, which is pretty much the only upside I can see to all of these departures.

• Alex says:

Yay! I hope Tyler is gone for good. Trevino is an awful actor, and the character is terrible. I do agree, though, that the show is running low on characters. Plus, Elena losing all her relatives is pretty ridiculous. I like new characters as long as they’re good, but I don’t want a bunch of them at once.

• Radha says:

Yeah. I really don’t see where Trevino is an awful actor and that Tyler is a bad character. But to each his own. People also hated Jeremy for several seasons and I never got that either.

• Ruby says:

Are you kidding me right now with this “Trevino is an awful actor” stuff? Did you completely miss his whole werewolf arc? Because he was pretty spectacular and proved that he’s one of the best actors on the show.

• luli says:

TVD is like a war, and casualties happen on war…

10. Sunshine says:

So what the show is telling us is that the only way to cope is to shut down and turn off our emotions even if we have a strong support network?! Great message! Note the sarcasm!!!
    Tyler lost his family and had to leave his entire town and support system but he didn’t shut down his humanity so I call BS. The reasoning just makes Elena look weak… Per usual. Oh wait she is, a whiney weak lead character. The actress who plays her does a great job with what she is given but she deserves better. Elena should and could be a powerful, strong young woman but really Caroline steals the show and is more of a lead in that respect. Elena, even as a vampire is still weak and needs repeated saving. I use to dislike Rebecca but lately found myself warming up to her… Preferring her to Elena.

Again, Sounds like a bunch of crap excuses for killing off Jeremy. They could have had another reason for Elena to switch off her humanity. Like it was a way to rid the sire bond but no they wanted to go flashy and honestly they took the predictable and easy way out… So sad :(

• Shaun says:

he’s a hybrid…don’t think he can like a regular vamp

• Faster says:

I don’t think her shutting off her humanity was supposed to be any kind of message to take away for viewers to deal with their lives…this is FICTION. Yes, I love this show, but never lose sight of the fact that it is fiction. If you understood that to be some kind of message about how to deal with your own life, you should remember that you are not a vampire living in Mystic Falls.

• VK says:

No it’s saying that as a vampire it is easy to shut off their humanity that is what makes them different to humans as well as the whole sucking blood, thing but if you want to talk about it in real terms then there are people out there in the world that shut themselves off from pain, people who become numb and cold it does happen i don’t think TVD is saying yeah do that however i do think they are exploring that aspect. Joss Whedon killed off Buffy’s mom to explore the aspect of her becoming hard and numb to human emotions, it’s a tv show they kill off major characters, death is meant to hurt and be painful and permenant but your not going to care as much if it’s a minor character. In Buffy they killed Tara off to explore Willow’s dark side it’s what writer’s do.

• Ruby says:

Honey, if you’re using TVD as your bible on how to cope with life, you’re seriously doing it wrong.

11. six says:

There are other reasons they could have found for Elena to turn off her humanity, this choice was not a smart one. I might watch till the end of the season, but I’m bored with where this is going. No more Gilberts, Lockwoods or any other family in Mystic Falls. Next there won’t be any Salvatores either!!

12. Garnet074 says:

I’m looking forward to this change for Elena. Vampire Diaries has been a consistently good show but this season’s been kind of blah. Don’t get me wrong, I like Damon and Elena, but it feels like the show’s been turning in a slow circle with this cure thing. Maybe this will propel Elena’s character into more interesting territory. I’m back to actually being curious about what happens and wanting to tune in.

• Faster says:

Yes, I agree. Love this show, but the blind search for the cure with very little questions about the possible consequences had me seriously questioning this season’s direction. It’ll be good to see Elena go off.

13. Babybop says:

I still can’t help but feel like this isn’t the last we’ll see of Jeremy.

• Danielle says:

Of course this isn’t the last we see of Jeremy. Heller. Bonnie, Silas, the veil.. ringing a bell people?! Tyler is an amazing actor and he can’t go back to Mystic Falls Klaus will be expecting that! I was hoping Katherine wouldn’t ever come back but here we go loop-Dee-doo right? And for those people saying “Bye Bye TVD” its not like the actors are going to make a message begging the what 4-5 of you to stay! Get over yourselves they won’t be missing you either.

14. TV fan says:

Who died when?! Bonnie is dating what new guy again? And why is that this Silas guy is also named after a The Walking Dead character if he already has a name???

• Danielle H. says:

Umm… do you watch this show? Because no one said anything about Bonnie dating and a character being named Shane has zero to do with TWD. I am befuddled as to why you’d make such a comment.

15. Heather says:

Soooo bummed about what happened to Jeremy. It was a great emotional episode for all involved, except Bonnie. She’s off her rocker. I especially liked the part where the brothers shared a moment. They spoke without speaking.

16. Danielle H. says:

Phew, I was hoping you had an interview w/ Julie lined up, because I needed an explanation for why she killed Jeremy. I just really wonder if this will serve the show a bigger purpose then just the next few episodes. I mean, you can look back on certain kills like Lexie and see that they were totally premature and have made the series worse for the wear.
    I have personally thought all along that Silas was Shane.. guess we’ll have to wait and see the little details to see how that really works.

17. Zachery Wilson says:

Julie Plec I want more of Matt please!

18. Justine says:

I stopped watching the show a while ago. But if they keep killing off characters and only leave Caroline remaining, I’ll come back. ;)

19. RJ says:

So, if Jeremy was a hunter when he died and the ring cannot bring him back because he was supernatural, shouldn’t he be tormenting Silas like the hunter that Elena killed did to her? I thought if you kill a hunter you have this curse placed upon you where that hunter torments you for the rest of your life. So, if this is the case, shouldn’t we at least see Jeremy if only from the standpoint of him tormenting Silas? If we don’t, then they are rewriting the rules of being a hunter. Not that I would be surprised at such sloppy and lazy writing.

• Lynn says:

The curse was why Damon and Stefan didn’t kill that original 5 Hunter on the island…

• sls says:

Yes. We should be seeing Jeremy for several more episodes as he haunts Silas. Hey maybe even Jeremy can somehow defeat Silas from where ever Jeremy is. Heck, maybe Jeremy can take over Silas’ body and come back to life! lol I’m not a Jer fan, nor do I dislike him. But anything is possible on this show.

20. Autumn says:

Elena is the most compassionate character….Um, what??? I know I felt her compassion when she had Jeremy kill Kol which then killed thousands of vampires at once without any remorse whatsoever. She committed genocide without even a blink of an eye. Or how about that time she stabbed Rebecca in the back literally when Rebecca was on her side? The list could go on of course. Elena has no compassion for anyone other than the people closest to her. Sometimes, I really wish tv Elena could be more like book Elena and embrace her selfishness. Embrace the flaws. It is when writers attempt to describe characters as something that they aren’t and do so in the text of the show, that the character suffers in representation on screen. If Elena could just embrace who she is (without turning her humanity off) and then grow as a character as she truly learns to become selfless, then her character would be a million times better than she is at this point in time. And victimizing Elena has become absurd at this point (and that is sad considering how victimized she has been since day one). If I was a family member and moved back to town, I’d leave. Seriously.

21. Redsifu says:

i liked jeremy but im glad he is dead, the show needs emotional moving parts and death is a big one. i kinda loathe bonnie lately and even though they try to make her important i could care less about her, we need more matt especially since he is the only human in the town lol. Caroline is my favorite but not if she gets with stefan, he is so boring and i know thats the writers fault.

22. Sg. Grant says:

Meh. Everybody knows Silas will bring Jeremy back. Lots of killed off characters are going to be brought back. How else are they going to have enough characters to send half of them to the spin-off?

23. Melanie says:

RJ – very good point regarding her tormenting Silas. I wonder how that will play out.

24. stevie says:

for the first time, an episode of the vampire diaries made me feel uncomfortable.
    awesome episode and brilliant acting by ms dobrev & mr roerig

25. Sam says:

Killing Jeremy just to get Elena to switch off her humanity was a low blow to Jer as a character, as well as Steven R. McQueen. Unless McQueen wanted to leave the show or they intend to resurrect Jeremy by season’s end, they just killed an important character as a plot device. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised given that they’ve reduced most of these characters to plot devices several times in the last two seasons but I was hoping they wouldn’t go so far as to KILL someone just to move the plot forward for a few episodes (because let’s face it, Elena isn’t going to remain humanity-free for the rest of the series. I’d wager she turns her humanity back on by season’s end.)

26. YowzaPowza says:

Best episode of the entire series. Julie, write more episodes by yourself if you can.

27. lorna says:

Eff this show. Used to be huge fan, alaric was my fave, they junped the shark with killing him. Jeremy was my moms fave.. this season has been terrible. Thx julie.

• Tiffany says:

Tell your mom to watch Cult, the show that Matt Davischose to leave The Vampire Diaries for, so he was written out of it.

• Faster says:

Did he really choose to leave? That was a big mistake, Cult was pretty terrible.

• Kayla says:

Yep they would’ve kept him on but he got chose 2 do cult and that’s y they still had him on as a ghost so that when he was shooting that show he could still come back 2 TVD they didn’t want to get rid of him it was his choice so I hate when ppl get mad at Julie 4 that it’s not her fault he got another gig sorry mini rant over lol

• beth says:

he didnt choose to leave, Jullie said they were going to kill Alaric and so he wanted a new job.

28. selvi says:

I might just watch till the season end. But killing Jeremy was such a low trick. I m sure you could have done smth else. I m really Losing interest in the show. Nonetheless elena acted really well in the episode. And I shall live on hope that Jeremy can be brought back by Silas.

29. Russ says:

So glad Elena burned the house down. EVERYONE! who lived there has died, the Gilbert parents, Jenna, Alraic, Elena, and now Jeremy.

30. Tiffany says:

P.s. This episode rocked and so did Julie’s writing.

31. Vdforme says:

I’m sorry but Stelena just cannot happen again…that ship has blown it’s course…it wouldn’t be write for the story to go back to that pairing….

• Hmmmm says:

Random. The comments have actually stayed pretty far away from a shipping war, so what a random thought to just throw out there. Especially, regarding the article where couples were not really mentioned in depth.

32. angie says:

The Vampire Diaries has been my favorite show since episode one, but killing off Jeremy is ridiculous. Jeremy was a well loved character, and I think everyone will admit they’re sad to see him go. I understand they needed a reason to make Elena turn off her emotions, but killing off Jeremy is too much. We’ve already lost Alaric and Jenna which was hard, but Jeremy I just can’t handle because he was all she had left. Jeremy should be brought back to the show somehow, because losing ALL amazing characters makes the show feel empty. I’ve always loved Elena, but it seems like everything happens because of her. I understand she’s thw lead, but in my opinion, as a vampire she’s a total bitch. I would stop watching the show because its so different now, but I’ve come so far, and I want to see if they’re smart and they bring back Jeremy somehow.

• kavyn says:

I think Jeremy’s death was necessary and handled very nicely (from a viewer’s perspective). The episode was pretty much dedicated to saying goodbye to him while developing the story in a new (and better) direction.

Also Elena is the lead, and thus everything that happens does revolve around her. That’s how it is for any show with lead characters. By now you should have gone into the show expecting deaths to occur whenever possible (and necessary, not just for the sake of the story but also for the actors who wish to leave), and it’s actually one of the things I admire about the show – they have the balls to do it.

Jeremy wasn’t executed very nicely into the plot, in my opinion. They made him see ghosts, turned him into a hunter,… I mean, they just gave him powers for the sake of having him there. He’s a lot more useful to the plot dead, as it changes Elena into something completely different.

33. Nasy says:

I am excited to see where the show goes from here……for once I don’t know what to expect and I like that……I think it would be great to see a more daring and fun Elena …….oh and don’t leave out Damon in the fun………I love Damon……

34. B.S says:

I’ve Loved This Show Since Season one!!
    But I’m Honestly Getting Tired Of This Whole Elena BS that Everyone Has to die 4 her or Turning a Vampire 4 Her..Killing Jer Was Just Rediculous..How About Julie Writes a Plot Were Everyone Is Against Her And She Has To Fight Her Own Battle Since She’s The Lead Role(Take It From Lead Roles Like Nikkita,Revenge,Lost Girl..They Fight Their Own Battles)

35. Kevin says:

So Jeremy really is dead then? He wouldn’t be coming back at all right? I mean even if he did, it wouldn’t be as a human, living breathing person? Just need to clarify. I know we saw Elena burning down the house and all with Jeremy in it, but this is TVD – who knows what will happen? Plus we’ve got Bonnie going ahead with Silas and his plans. I’m just not entirely convinced Jeremy’s dead.

On another note, why make the cast smaller? I’m sure there will be another death by the end of the season, plus the Originals are all leaving I think for the spin off. Would have been nice to keep Jeremy, plus he literally was Elena’s only remaining living family. I know the writers had their reasons but still, losing literally every one of your family members? That’s brutal.

36. Anthony says:

I am very excited to see this new Elena. And I hope it goes on for longer than the rest of the season. And yes everyone, Jeremy is dead! Quit asking if he’s really gone. Loved the episode, Nina killed it. I just felt all of the emotions flowing out of the screen! Ugh. Love this show. Hahaha

37. Drewer says:

Can’t someone please give Matt a ring, he’s playing with fate by being the only character that hasn’t died yet, basically. I was a little annoyed they hadn’t given it to him already, i figured Jer wasn’t wearing it still. Either he needs a ring or Rebekah needs to follow him around feeding him vampire blood every hour, or he’s going to bite it. And Zach Roring is my favorite on th show, his crying scenes were so good this episode, and I really felt all this emotion in him, one of his best friends has just run off, the other has died, it brings up all this stuff about his sister, I’m convinced he’s homeless (he probably isn’t) and Elena’s just burnt her house down, and yet he is still looking out for his friends, even tough his life sucks. TEAM HUMAN!

38. Kirstyn says:

Honestly, I’m getting really sick of TVD killing off people. I’ve been watching since day one, have every season on DVD, follow up on blogs. When they killed off Alaric, I was heartbroken. We grew to love him, and his relationships with other characters. And just like that, he dies. Now, I miss him. Every single episode. They kill off Jeremy. Someone else that we’ve all grown to love. Whose been there since the beginning. It’s going to just feel empty. And as someone who ships delena, follows up all the time, rewatches episodes as much as possible, I really am losing interest in watching this show.

39. Tracy says:

Hope this whole season is a dream.

• Ckfirestar says:

Yes, best comment on here. Elena wakes up with Stephan giving her CPR, “I came back for you, blah blah blah,”. Damon falls for Bonnie, or some new spunky vamp character and everyone lives happily ever after.

40. Nikki says:

All the compassionate HUMAN characters have been killed off, except for Matt (and he should be in the show more anyway). Alaric, Jenna, Jeremy, the Mayor…all kinds of people. The vampires and werewolves aren’t as special as they used to be because they’re everywhere! This show needs to stop killing off the humans just for the sake of killing them off. Nina is an excellent actress but Elena has been incredibly annoying lately and i am not at all excited for the return of Katherine, because she is just psychotic. Whats going to happen to the plot once four of the characters move to a different show? I’m so thrown off by this season and I’m not diggin on it at all. I miss Jeremy and Alaric. They added a nice normal touch to the chaos this has become.

41. Dominique says:

I wish there was more stuff about about Jeremy/Steven in this interview, like what did he think, how did he/the cast take it, is it permanent? (Didn’t Kat graham say one death wasn’t going to be premanent?)

42. Rebekah, Klaus and Kol are f*cking idiots, they deserve to die. Elena, Damon, Stefan, they were all quiet, living they lives, these originals interfered and tried to impose their agenda. Nasty and boring people. don’t wanna die, stay away!

• Mary says:

Really?! From the way I see it Kol was right all along and Elena choose to kill him and commit genocide because he was trying to do the smart thing. Look what’s happened because they HAD to find a cure for Elena – Jeremy’s dead, Katherine has the cure, Silas is roaming around free, and Elena has lost her humanity. I know the show can’t go back in time and rewrite this flawed storyline, but I wish one of the characters could acknowledge that Kol was right. I still don’t understand why they risked trying to find a cure for immortality when they knew they could wake somebody as dangerous as Silas. Kol practically told them that waking Silas was like triggering the apocalypse. The way I see it they’re responsible for their own misery and I just wish they could admit it to themselves instead of blaming their misfortunes on others.

43. Jeez stop killing off good characters!!!!!! I genuinely feel they will lose out on their audience eventually because of this. If someone we like is going to die each season, people won’t want to watch it because it will damage the show again and again like it has each time they’ve killed a good character off. I can’t believe they actually killed Jeremy though. This sucks. I thought it was horrible what they did to Alaric but this was totally brutal and I fear this show is hitting a low point for me which is sad because it’s the only thing that *was* any good on TV. Guess I’ll have to move onto something else that has sturdy characters that don’t die and make every viewer want to cry their eyes out lol!! Bonnie, I hope you do bring Jeremy back, dark magic or not. Who cares anymore? Jeremy’s dead so I think the fans are pissed off. Redeem the show while you still can!! ;)

44. vera says:

DAMON WILL BECOME A HUMAN I AM SURE

45. vera says:

AND ELENA WILL GO CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. i can’t wait to see her

46. Donna Fuller says:

I’m actually kind of happy to see something like this twist of having Jeremy die creating cause and effect for the storyline at this point. It effects Elena as the family she knows in the human world dies off, but it also effects Bonnie’s choice as a magic worker to choose something out of her comfort zone. Keep up the great work, i’m loving this show so much!

47. Blobby Hill says:

Shouldn’t Silas be tormented by the hunter’s curse?

48. TL says:

I don’t understand why everyone hates Elena so much. Yes, I hate that Jeremy was killed off too, and he will be missed greatly, but Elena is still a realistic character. I’ve heard complaints that she’s both “too whiny” and “not compassionate,” but I really think you have to look at her evolution through the entire series to understand her actions. In season one, she was a scared teenage girl who’d just lost her parents and didn’t really know if she wanted to even be involved with the supernatural world, especially since it caused her so much more pain. And then in season 2, she was completely devoted in her love for Stefan and was willing the give the only thing she could to keep her loved ones safe – her life. If that was all I could do to save the people I loved, I’d do it. In season 3, she was tired of having so much taken away from her and she fought for it, even resorting to things she never would have considered before, like stabbing Rebekah in the back. She was trying to take control of her life again and keep those she loved safe. But by season 4, she’s lost so much, including her own life and Jeremy dying was the last straw. I don’t believe she would have ever consciously decided to turn off her humanity, because that’s not her. Damon told her too and he was doing what he thought was the best thing for her. Why would anyone say she’s too whiny when she’s lost her entire family? She’s proven time and time again that she’s willing to do anything for those she loves and that to me makes her a strong character. And, no, killing Kol along with thousands of vampires across the world was not something we would have expected from season one Elena, but after everything she’s been through, I think she just decided that enough was enough. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think Elena is getting a bad rap. Go ahead people, let the flames begin (lol).

49. Faster says:

Yes! Thanks for this.

50. Sam says:

I know Elena is the main character, and it’s her world and we’re watching it, but seriously?! Elena pretends to be compassionate, caring, and putting all of her friends first, but it’s starting to seem fake. It’s time she has a serious epiphany and realize that any time some issue arises where her death or unhappiness is imminent, someone else dies. And worse, usually these deaths don’t solve anything, just stalls the current situation. There’s always collateral damage around Elena, and again, I know she can’t die, but she deserves to feel bad about it. Keep the humanity on and force her to deal, because she may not be the one physically killing these people but it was done for her.

At the start of this season when Jeremy vowed to get the cure for her, you knew he’d be dead by the end of it. Elena could have easily said no lets not do this, because forcing Jeremy to become a vampire hunter puts him at serious risk. She didn’t, she knew losing him would be a possibility and she let it happen. It’s time she mourn those that sacrificed themselves for her, namely Jeremy, since that was her brother and should have been her number one priority, not herself, not her cure.