Da! FX Renews The Americans for Season 2

ta102_121112_174FX has decided The Americans is red-hot, and renewed the retro spy drama for Season 2, just four episodes into its freshman run.

The Americans has quickly established itself as a key part FX’s acclaimed drama line-up,” FX president John Landgraf said in a statement. “Executive producers Joe Weisberg, Joel Fields and Graham Yost and their collaborators are telling riveting and deeply emotional stories and the performances of Keri Russell, Matthew Rhys, Noah Emmerich and the entire cast are simply outstanding. The show is truly worthy of its widespread critical acclaim and we are confident that its quality will continue to yield a robust and passionate audience.”

RELATED | FX’s Horror Story Brings Back Frances Conroy, Taissa Farmiga for Season 3

The Americans‘ series premiere emerged as the most-watched debut of any FX series ever, with a Live+7 tally of 5.11 million total viewers, while  TVLIne readers gave it an average grade of “A-.” After two weeks of declines, this week’s Episode 4 rebounded by posting gains of 22 percent in the coveted 18-49 demo and 46 percent in 18-34.

Season 1, airing Wednesdays at 10/9c, has nine episodes remaining, with the finale set for May 1. A marathon of the first five episodes will air next Friday, March 1, starting at 10 pm.

The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys Previews Brutal Keri Russell-Margo Martindale Brawl

1. Lena120 says:

Yay!! It’s such a good show. Keri and Matthew are great in it.

• Kris C W says:

I agree, a great show! But what happened to the music after the first episode? The music was amazing then it took a nose dive. I wish the network would go back to the great songs and unique ways they used them!

• Mike K says:

You are right, the music in the first episode was awesome. With any luck, it will get better again. Still, the show as a whole is very good. My favorite this year.

• Gingee says:

Anybody know the name of the first song (had a rather “Russian” sound to it) on the first episode? Loved IT and love the show. Can’t wait for season 2!!!

• Emily says:

The song with the horns in the first episode is Fleetwood Mac, “Tusk”…not sure if that’s the one you’re talking about.

• Elroy Pires says:

I totally agree about the music on the show, it was amazing on the first episode . They should more music from that period when the Season 2 resumes .

2. Jake says:

Great show glad it’s getting a second season

3. martina says:

Great news! One of the few shows of the whole season that’s actually good!

4. Luke says:

Yay! I love this show.

5. Jaime says:

This makes me extremely happy! One of my favorite new shows for sure.

6. Edith says:

EXCELLENT!!!

7. TMW says:

Just watched last night’s episode. It’s really an excellent show.

8. Alienate says:

Yes! It kind of makes my Homeland withdrawal bearable. :)

9. Olivia says:

I love retro shows

10. Elaine Bondra says:

Yay! Great new show, and I definitely want to see more. Sons of Anarchy, Justified, and now The Americans has me tuning into FX at 10pm more and more. Thanks, FX, for bringing us intelligent and riveting drama, along with excellent casting and acting.

• CKing says:

Those are my big three as well. They are sharp, well written, and have depth of characters that you don’t see on the alphabet channels. I remember when cable shows were just fillers for my summers. Now I watch more cable channel shows than those on the old school channels.

11. jimbo says:

Thank you, FX! Love you!

12. Stefi says:

This made my day. My favorite new show, without a doubt. Great writing and incredible performances. Thanks, FX, you’ve made the right decision!

13. Ebay4Ever says:

Thanks for the renew FX love the show :)

14. Katie says:

BLESS YOU FX! Quality show, quality network. This show is everything I could ask for. By far my fave show since forever.

15. Karoline says:

Matt, your “Да” is really cute. Very appreciated in Russia. :)

16. darcy's evil twin says:

love this program! thanks, FX.

17. John says:

Woo Hoo!! Good news. I really like this show.

18. Eliza says:

Very happy!

19. Jim says:

Excited..and surprised. I actually lived in that era of “Russian Paranoia”..the Hydrogen bomb…shelters. Well acted..a good view of probably what it was like.

20. Starla says:

I am so ecstatic right now!!! I had just watched this week’s and found myself hoping it would be renewed! Love Keri and Matthew!

21. Yay!!! Can’t wait for more episodes!

22. Superhero says:

Excellent news. It’s still early, of course, but The Americans might just be my second favorite FX show, behind only Louie.

23. Eric says:

Now that I know there will be a season 2, I’ll catch up with the marathon next Friday! I love Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys!!! I was just afraid of getting invested in another tv series, just to have it be cancelled a few episodes in (Last Resort)

24. kate says:

great news! I didn’t expect to like this show as much as I did and now I’m so hooked. I love it. Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys have been fantastic!

25. Rebecca says:

Woo hoo!! love this show!!!

26. Doug-H says:

I bet ratings rise from here now that people can get invested!!!

27. Aj says:

In Soviet Russia, show renews network!

Great news. I’m loving this series.

28. Brenda says:

Good to know I watched the premiere and liked it. Now that I know its going to be renewed I will watch the rest of the ep down the road. I like both actors from felecity and B&S.

29. Jan1 says:

Please start recapping The Americans!

30. Dicie says:

Yes! This is my favorite new show. One of the best aspects of the show is the layered relationship between Philip and Elizabeth. Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell have a wonderful chemistry.

31. Pat D. says:

Very happy that FX didnt pull another Terriers with this show. There are few things worse on TV than having a multi-year planned storyarc get cancelled after one season. Wait, I take that back–having a multi-year storyline cancelled with one season AND allowing the writers time to create a hasty, contrived ending, ala Last Resort—that is MUCH worse.

32. Pat D. says:

I’ve actually been most impressed with Matt Rhys on this show. His take on Philip reminds me very much of Roy Dupuis’ creation of Michael Samuelle. Granted, the characters are MUCH different, but the subtle acting approach seems very similar to me—-lots of subtle facial movements and body language rather than say, over-emoting or whatever. I havent quite warmed up to Keri’s character yet, but she took a huge step last week with that vicious, decisive, ice-cold killing of the security guard.

33. Luli101 says:

I had no idea he was a Brit! Hard to believe the guy in the video plays Phillip. What a great actor! Really liking Americans! Glad it is renewed.

34. GS says:

I am loving this show! My husband watched the first episode and said it was slow and I almost didn’t watch the first two last weekend. I’m glad I did! Great cast and great writing. Glad I’m not getting invested for nothing. Had no idea Matthew Rhys was Welsh…he does a fabulous American accent. Keri Russell is really good in this too and I’m not a big fan of her but I’m getting to be. Does John Boy not ever age??? Richard Thomas still looks like he did in the 80’s!

35. ritasimmons says:

Fx u need to keep this show on. Its the best thing on tv. Stopped nbc after firing ann curry, their idiots&I don’t like the way they treat their people.

36. Rob says:

Awesome show–just got done watching the latest episode. F’in so good. Clever and riveting. Keep up the good work

37. abbey says:

obsessed. not even words to describe how good :):):) love all the actors. keep up the awesome work ! yay second season !!!

38. Greg Oldham says:

Impressed with the homework the team has done. When the main characters meet in Russia for the first time, one greets the other with “nice to meet you” and the reply is “likewise”. Not an exchange you’d typically hear in English, yet perfect in Russian. This level of attention to detail is so nice to see.

39. tuffyturf says:

It started a little slow and timid..But has picked up.. it needs to get more involved now that they have a following.. Just like Breaking Bad did..

40. cold fx says:

When some one searches for his necessary thing, thus he/she desires to be
    available that in detail, so that thing is maintained over here.

41. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and
    said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.”
    She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a
    hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back!

LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

42. Simply want to say your article is as amazing.
    The clarity for your publish is just cool and
    that i can assume you’re a professional in this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to snatch your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thank you one million and please continue the rewarding work.

43. nuvalift says:

If some one needs to be updated with newest technologies therefore he must be go
    to see this website and be up to date daily.

44. www.scoop.it says:

Heya! I understand this is sort of off-topic however I needed
    to ask. Does running a well-established blog such as yours take a large amount of work?
    I’m brand new to running a blog but I do write in my diary on a daily basis. I’d like to start a
    blog so I can easily share my experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners.
    Appreciate it!

45. My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.

I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.

But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on numerous websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform.
    I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net.
    Is there a way I can import all my wordpress posts into
    it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

46. John says:

Great show! Thank you for renewing it!

47. Reva says:

Good way of describing, and good article to take data on the topic of my presentation subject matter, which
    i am going to deliver in university.