Ratings: Castle and The Bachelor Hit Season Highs, The Following Rises, 90210 Is (Zip) Coding

Ratings The Following RisesFox’s The Following scared up better numbers this Monday night, delivering its first week-to-week gains since Episode 2.

Drawing 8.3 million total viewers and a 2.8 demo rating, the thriller saw increases of 6 and 17 percent. It also served up quite the cliffhanger. UPDATE: Finals upped the demo to a 2.9.

Leading into that, Bones (8.3 mil/2.2) was flat.

ABC’s The Bachelor (9.2 mil/3.0) gained 8 and 11 percent week-to-week to net a new season-high demo rating of 3.0 and its best non-finale numbers since March 2011. Leading out of that, Castle (9.7 mil/2.3, per finals) rose 8 and 15 percent, scoring its own season-high rating.

RELATED | Castle Recap: Gone Girls (Or: The French Disconnection)

Over on CBS, How I Met Your Mother (8.9 mil/3.4) ticked up two tenths, Rules of Engagement (8.1 mil/2.8) dropped a handful of eyeballs, 2 broke Girls (10.1 mil/3.4) was down 7 percent and two tenths and Mike & Molly (10.3 mil/3.1) inched up a tenth. Hawaii Five-0 (9 mil/2.0) dipped a bit to place second behind Castle..

NBC’s The Biggest Loser (5.6 mil/2.1) ticked up a tenth, while Deception (3.2 mil/1.2) was flat.

The CW’s Carrie Diaries (1.2 mil/0.4) was steady in audience and ticked down a tenth in the demo, but 90210 dropped 24 percent and a tenth, to 500,000 viewers (!) and a 0.2 (!!) rating.

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. carolinagirl says:

The Following scares the bejesus out of me!! But in a good way. Does that make me strange?

• K says:

I’m the same way. Can’t wait for the next week – the previews look amazing.

• Leo says:

So happy that The Following ticked up! It’s a really awesome and smart show and I think the people complaining about it watch too many cops-show (like Castle, HFO, CSI) when everything is magically solved within an episode.
        I’ll be patience with this show because once I watch it, I got so drawn by it and the suspense is killing me.
        P.s. : Where’s the recap for this week’s episode, TVLine?

• meem says:

I’m right there with you

• GS says:

It totally freaks me out to think there are crazy people like that out in the world which just makes me love it all the more. Such an awesome show!

• The Beach says:

Yep, me too. I really like this show and hope it develops a big following (no pun intended).

• darcy's evil twin says:

I like “The Following” but it is seriously p*****g me off – all of the “good guys”, with the exception of the kidnapped boy, are complete idiots! That young boy is showing more sense than the rest of them put together.
      How is it that a man walks into a farmhouse with a hoe and kills TWO people? It should go like this:
      Killer – “Hi, I have a hoe. I’m going to kill you”.
      Farmer – Ka-BLAM (and blows him back out the door with a 12 gauge). “Here, let me pry that hoe from your cold, dead hand. I can probably use it”.
      And what was with the mother slipping away from the FBI and getting in the SUV with that guy. She should have taken a gun. Once she saw he was by himself she should have shot his a** and then they could have used his cell phone or GPS to find the farmhouse.
      That Asian chick deserves to be tied up in the barn for going home with a total stranger. The cop that managed to get himself killed because he wouldn’t pull the trigger on that killer isn’t even realistic. Even Kevin Bacon stupidly walked into a trap at the end.
      Clearly some Hollywood liberals are writing these scripts. It’s the same reason I stopped watching “Criminal Minds”. Not all criminals are geniuses and not all good guys are idiots.

• beatriceblythe says:

Amen. I was so annoyed by last night’s episode. I’m tired of them taking an ENTIRE episode to do absolutely nothing. Ugh. Next week will be another ‘bad buys monologue and talk to Jack because they have him captured’. I’m bored to tears and the murders are all so predictable. Ugh. and you know that farmer would have gotten his GUN before he went and called the police. JEEZ!!

• Michael says:

Seriously? I decided after last night’s episode that I am DONE. Nothing ever happens! I feel like the writers have written themselves into a corner and now have no idea how they are going to get out of this one.

SPOILER ALERT

Also, I feel like the show is entirely predictable. I knew Lopez was going to die the minute he split up with Kevin Bacon’s character. Also, the whole “going into the house through the basement” was just like Silence of the Lambs. Finally, you come upon a house where three kidnappers are and you decide to go rogue and go in for a closer look? Are you kidding me? Nothing like putting the kid’s life in danger.

Sorry folks, you lost me on this one. I hope that the fans of this show continue to enjoy it and watch it. It just isn’t for me.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Great minds think alike, Michael.

• beatriceblythe says:

I am so with you. I was bored to tears last night and the thought of next week’s episode during which we will have commercials every 3 minutes (I timed it) and the three dumb-headed serial killers will monologue Jack Ryan to death while the FBI flaps its collective hands in panic about what to do next is almost more than I can stand. UGH!

• sarah says:

I think tons of us feel the same way! It is addicting but messed up, in a good way!

2. Kourt says:

Castle did awesome in the ratings. Always nice when Castle beats Hawaii Flop-0

3. Andrea says:

So happy about Castle! Well deserved for that fantastic episode!

4. Dizzle says:

The CW seem to be moving away from standard teen-drama fare these days anyway, they just can’t compete with ABC Family’s lineup. Time to let 90210 go….

• Elyse says:

stick a fork in 90210… it’s done!

• Melissa says:

I agree. I record 90210, Switched at Birth and Bunheads. I already watched SAB and will watch Bunheads tonight. 90210 – I will watch when I have nothing else on my DVR. ABC Family is doing a much better job with that type of show.

• Gillian says:

Put 90210 out of its’ misery. I hope the CW doesn’t cancel Hart of Dixie so the dreadful 90210 gets 7 more episodes next season.

• Val says:

Please don’t take 90210 from us is one and only one show I watch … Pls pls pls plssssss

5. mary says:

Great numbers for Castle. Such a great ep. Season 6 seems much closer now and ABC would be crazy to cancel it, unless Nathan or Stana decide not to renew their contracts.

6. 90210 flopped really bad , i don’t think it would be wise to give it a short final season ):

7. wrstlgirl says:

I turned off H50, it was a terrible episode. I love the show but not last night :-(

• meem says:

I abandoned H50 for Monday Mornings on TNT. I’ll watch H50 on on-demand later in the week if I feel like it. Sometimes i do, sometimes I don’t.

• Shaun says:

So much horrible stuff….old man threats,talking too much about Pro Bowl.Just a thoroughly gross episode.

• JC says:

I’ll admit it wasn’t one of their better episodes, but “gross”? I don’t get what was “gross” about it. I thought it was a fun episode actually, although the case was pretty weak, and as an Indianapolis resident I loved that Danny has a Peyton Manning crush.

8. Ross says:

I hope 90210 gets to have a proper finale at least. Have stuck with it this long, would hate to see it go out on a cliffhanger…

• Rivera says:

agree! I want to see these people finally get a direction! Silver has already completed her circle of sleeping with all guys in the crew (including the closeted gay guy – Teddy!), Liam is just one girl away from sleeping with all the female cast (Watch out Ade!) – It’s time that they get a closure that paves their way to their mature life!

9. paul says:

I watched CBS Comedies and Dallas

10. Eric says:

The Following!!! Yay!!!

11. Taryn says:

90210 has had it’s fair share of ups and downs but i have stuck with it and would like to see it reach a logical conclusion i understand there decision to move away from this genre based on poor ratings but i feel like the show has one season more to give it terms of storytelling i just don’t want it to be overly contrived or rushed to its end but i’m sure it’s over after this season.

• Elyse says:

i was sticking with 90210 as well until an episode a few weeks ago when it made me so mad that i just can’t watch anymore. its a mess!

• Spencer says:

Same here. I stuck with it all these years, but now I can’t even watch anymore. It’s not even “it’s so bad, it’s good” anymore. It’s just bad. Really bad.

• Melissa says:

You mean you didn’t like the recycled storyline of Liam only having crazy girls in his life ;) Seriously I feel like they are paying a high school creative writing class to write the scripts. It is such nonsensical story telling and the problems aren’t even real problems. It is such crap! ABC Family is doing it much better with Lying Game, Switched and Birth and Pretty Little Liars!

• Chris Stulz says:

I agree with all the previous comments. 90210 has always been a guilty pleasure show of mine, but it’s not even a pleasure to watch anymore. Contrived and recycled story lines, plot twists you can see a mile away, zero character development, problems that just go away or characters that are simply killed off to solve the story.

As a more recent example, As soon as Navid got that girls number in the bar and she said she was in town for a job interview, who didn’t guess she was going to be Silver’s surrogate. It was painfully obvious and ridiculousness.

12. Steph says:

yeah Castle. woot woot. well deserved, for the awesomeness that was last nights episode.

13. Meg says:

Excellent episode of Castle!!

14. Tran says:

ABC better cancel The Bachelor very soon and it’s too much already. Hope The Following gets renewed for a second season and only 34 days left before Revolution returns (my favorite new show of the season so far).

• meem says:

I so wanted to like Revolution, but it was just too implausible and stupid for me. We’re supposed to believe that in 15 years no one built a windmill? (That’s the first thing they did on the far-superior power-goes-out drama “Jericho” years ago). And how would the power going out make it so internal combustion engines don’t work? As long as you can have heat, you can have power. Just can’t suspend my disbelief for this one. Basically they wanted to make “The Hunger Games” for TV, and picked a really stupid premise to hang it on.

• Ana says:

The Bachelor is doing better than Dancing with the Stars. I personally don’t get the appeal but ABC would be foolish to get rid of it at this time.

15. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Not to pick on 90210 – I watched the original as a young adult, and watch this one from time to time. However, if these ratings go any lower, we may not need Nielsen numbers – we can just do a ‘show of hands’ to see who’s watching this program.
    That said, I would like to see both the fans and the 90210 team get a proper send-off. I hope they have the time to wrap things up this May – if not, then okay, a short order to wrap up next December [but I think they need to try to wrap in May if at possible].

16. Katherine215 says:

Excellent episodes of both The Following and Castle! Btw, no recap of The Following this week, TVLine?

17. Leni says:

The Carrie Diaries needs to go. Nice attempt but it had flop written all over it from the start.

18. dee says:

can we please forget about a final season for 90210? don’t get me wrong, I like the show.. but they should wrap things up by the end of this season and renew Hart of Dixie instead! at least the ratings for HoD are steady and people seem to like it..

• Elyse says:

90210 doesn’t deserve a final season like One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl had. i don’t think the CW will give it one either. i’d rather they give a new show a chance instead of wasting more time on 90210. i’ll be so sad if they cancel HoD!!! its awesome :)

19. GS says:

I love my Monday night line up of Switched At Birth, The Following and Castle! All great episodes last night. I was definitely glad I stayed up for Castle….Nathan was positively awesome showing his range of emotions! Will watch Dallas later with my hubby. It’s been really great as well.

20. robinepowell says:

I used to watch 90210, but not once the kids graduated high school. It just wasn’t good as when it first started, especially when they started losing character. Not as good as the original either.

21. bonesfan says:

So awesome to see Bones pulling in over 8 million viewers even after 8 seasons. Last nights episode wasn’t like last weeks..but it was still a good story.

• Catherine says:

Oh pleez, let’s just rename Bones the Sweets show and be done with it. Both Brennan and Booth pumping him up cuz he’s so delicate. Can we even discuss Bren still demeaning Booth over her wealth, the sexual harassment by Bren on Finn in the lab over his sex life, Cam and Michelle giggling over dating the intern pool. Even the disclosure of Swts childhood was anticlimatic, old story, nothing original. Bring back Carla Kettner, please.

22. Boiler says:

As long as people seem to think The Bachelor, The Taste, Biggest Loser are good entertainment shows like Happy Endings will be gone. No accounting for taste I guess.

23. Melanie says:

Yay for the Following! I cannot believe that more people watch the Bachelor?!?!?! Seriously? What is the appeal? A bunch of supposedly grown women chasing after a man to win his love?!?! I don’t get it! The Carrie Diaries is sweet too, sad that it’s not getting the ratings.

24. Jason says:

90210 was flawed from the get-go, with an abysmal cast that viewers didn’t care about (and have not grown to like) and staggeringly-poor storylines. If you’re gonna do a soap, you’d darn well better make it shocking, compelling, must-see TV. Just watching actors walk and talk thru scenes is not good TV.

25. TMW says:

Deception was “flat?” Flatlining, more like. Better luck with your next Revenge rip-off, NBC.

26. leigh says:

Castle was terrific last night. I’d thought it would have been a little stronger but these numbers with the bachelor lead in are great.

27. RichieS says:

I think the Dallas reboot is an excellent show. 90210 could’ve learned alot about how to bring back an old favorite from the Dallas people. So sad that Larry Hagman passed because in his last few eps he still knocks it out of the park as JR. And props to Julie Gonzalo, when she was on Eli Stone I thought she just had good chemistry with JL Miller but its even better on Dallas with Jesse Metcalfe. Must be her talent!

28. Angela says:

It’s shocking 90210 lasted as long as it has……

Love that Bones is still doing great in it’s 8th season, when most shows ratings tend to drop as shows go on

29. perkiomen says:

Nathan Fillion better get an Emmy nod this year.

• Alex says:

LOL, not gonna happen! His performances are not the sort that get nominated, plain and simple.

• mia says:

Its not his performances, its the fact that the show isn’t “high brow” enough for the Emmys. If it was solely performance based, Stana would already have one. She’s done some truly fantastic work on Castle.

30. Chris says:

LOVE seeing the Bachelor numbers continue to climb. The show was quickly became a “Watch Party” type of viewing the last few years. I have always watched, but now we typically have 6-9 people gathering to drink wine and watch the crazy – and its great.

The interesting part is that they have such a great Bachelor to warrant the ratings, but their crop of women this season has been less than great – so good for them. The show is outstanding to watch with a group and “hate-watch” if you want to call it that, but its just fascinating TV in general.

I record HIMYM, 2 Broke Girls, The Biggest Loser, and Deception on Mondays and only watch Bachelor live – that says something.

31. shar says:

Hawaii 5-0, Dallas, The Following. Monday night’s.

32. Emmakingg says:

Castle was so amazing last night! Such a great show…I love all the actors on this show..soo talented!

33. sherknd says:

My cable doesnt even get the CW, so that could be a reason their ratings are always lower. I miss my Hart of Dixie, its just not the same watching online.

34. mia says:

Hopefully 90210 will get cancelled and thus save both Carrie + Beauty from the CW cancellation machine.

35. Dan says:

I NEVER stop watching a show once I start and am invested in it, but I finally dropped 90210 a fwe weeks ago…it just got beyond ridiculous.

I don’t care how it happens, but The Carrie Diaries NEEDS to be renewed – it’s the best thing that The CW has done since Life Unexpected and is a real quality show. It has a lot of heart and great storytelling and I’m really attached to all the characters. Hopefully ratings will rise a bit the rest of the season and it’ll get renewed. I can definitely see it gaining viewers if it’s on long enough for good word-of-mouth to spread.

36. Kate says:

I love The Carrie Diaries, it’s one of my favorite new shows. I hope the cw gives it a chance and renews it. And about 90210 – I’m still bitter that this awful show got another season while The Secret Circle didn’t.

• oliver says:

The Secret Circle did slightly better ratings than the carrie diaries are currently registering…and yet TSC got canceled. Carrie Diaries is sure to be on the chopping block unless it starts getting the ratings Gossip Girl had on its first season..because honestly, CW was hoping CD to be their new GG.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Good analysis, and you’re right – the CW was hoping CD would become their new GG – so far, that’s not happening, and may not happen. It’s going to come down to the list of CW pilots for the fall. If the list is strong enough to support 3-4 dramas being picked up, that could be trouble for CD and HoD. I’m assuming 90210 is wrapping up in May, and Nikita will come next fall, at least for a short order. BB could go either way, but since it is a genre-type show, and CW is headed in that direction [per the list of pilots they have under consideration], I think BB will get renewed. We’ll see how Cult does tonight in its premiere – I think it could do well.
        Of the pilots, The Originals is almost a forgone conclusion – it will get picked up, I assume to follow VDiaries. The rest of the pilots are a mixed bag – some [Blink, Reign] I don’t understand, but perhaps they would find an audience.
        Something to consider – CW normally likes to ‘match’ their dramas on a given night – soaps on Monday, sci-fi/genre on Thursday, etc. If (a big IF) CD is renewed, and 90210 is not, then CW would need to pair CD with another ‘soap’ type pilot in the fall – that might mean a pilot like ‘Company Town’. If the CW doesn’t green-light ‘Company Town’ (or even Blink), then I don’t think CW has a show to pair with CD. If that’s the case, that’s bad new for Carrie Diaries coming back this fall. The only show CD might pair up well with is HoD – so it may be a both-or-neither type situation: if CD gets renewed, HoD may also, and vice-versa. If one doesn’t make it, they are probably both done. And for some reason if both get renewed, that might be bad news for BB.
        But if Cult does well, and BB hangs on, I don’t know how both CD and HoD can be renewed – I don’t think there’s room on the schedule for all four, assuming 3-4 pilots are green-lighted.

37. Kris says:

Glad to see the The Following is continuing to perform. The show is fantastic, and Monday’s episode was so intense!!

38. Jade says:

90210 is getting killed at 9pm when The Carrie Diaries is doing less than what 90210 used to do at that time.

39. Lord Byron says:

Nikita gets a 0.4 on a friday night, Performing much better than 90210 on a monday, now I hope this convinces The Power That Be to get nikita a season or two.

40. ollie says:

yay for castle

41. Rachel says:

I enjoy the Following to a point, but not totally on the wagon yet. The show is turning into a direction of predictability and not sure how far they can stretch the storyline for so long. I mean how long can Carroll be the only serial killer they chase? Hopefully they have a end game written out, maybe 2-3 seasons tops.

• darcy's evil twin says:

And hopefully it doesn’t involve Kevin Bacon doing something stupid and subsequently getting captured, tortured, and rescued every week.
      The premise of the show is interesting. The execution hasn’t always been good.

42. Jeremie says:

Seeing how bad this season of 90210 is so far (and how bad last season was) and given the bad ratings it gets, I really hope The CW will cancel it in May. I agree that a proper series finale would be the right thing to do for the fans but I think I read somewhere they start filming the season finale in a few days so that means the script is probably already written and it won’t work as a series finale I guess…

43. Allyson says:

I was a fan of the original Beverly Hills, 90210 and in my opinion that was a quality show. I still watch the reruns of it on Soapnet and there is clearly a noticeable difference of the quality of writting. The storylines are awful on this updated version of 90210 b/c the writting is sloppy. I miss the original cast as well as the Peach Pit and AfterDark.

44. Fernanda says:

IT’S 9021OVER

45. Para says:

Anyone who doesn’t love the crazy trio in the following is crazy!

46. Ray says:

The last 2 episodes of 90210 weren’t the best, but I’d hate to see this show end! Season 5, in my opinion has been good. I hope it gets a sixth season for closure, but with these ratings…. :(. I wish the time slot for this show never changed, it is hard for me to watch at that time.

47. Ella says:

90210 dropped because all the Liam + Naomi fans that are somewhat loyal to the show because of those characters have had enough. Lannie again?! It’s boring, it’s nauseating, it sucks. If they’re going to return the show to its early season 2 glory when the couples were great and the storyline was good, they should just put it out of its misery.