Pilot Scoop: Jason Lee Has Second Sight in CBS Adaptation of BBC Crime Drama

JasonLee_MemphisBeatOnetime Memphis Beat lawman Jason Lee has a new beat, as a police detective on CBS’ Second Sight pilot.

An adaptation of the British crime drama fronted by Clive Owen, Second Sight stars Lee as Tanner, the lead detective with the New Orleans Police Department. Tanner, though, is concealing a troublesome secret: He has an ocular disorder that causes him to have horrifying, visually stimulating anxiety dreams and hallucinations.

Assured by his doctor that he will not go blind, Tanner is encouraged to think of the side effects as a “gift,” signposts from his subconscious that —  hey! — help him solve crimes.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s In Them

CSI vet Carol Mendelsohn will executive-produce the psychological thriller’s pilot with Michael Cuesta (Homeland), who will also direct it from a script he co-wrote with his brother Gerald Cuesta. Paula Milne — who created the British version — Nick Reed, Phil Goldfine and Julie Weitz also will exec-produce the potential series.

Lee’s other previous TV credits include, of course, the title role on My Name Is Earl, Up All Night and recent visits to Raising Hope.

1. Sounds light Perception I’m interested!!

2. Tedi says:

Sounds like Perception……

3. My says:

No Clive Owen. Loved the original.

4. Laurie says:

Love the fact Jason Lee is getting a new series. Really bummed when they cancelled MEMPHIS BEAT. The fact that it’s based on a BBC series is just another plus for me. Can’t wait.

5. james says:

Not a fan of Jason Lee. Will see how he does in this one.

6. Modin says:

In the British original Clive Owen was losing his sight. Guess they had to Jason Lee it up.

7. Is it just me or the plot sounds awfully similar to Millenium, with Lans Ericksen, with the ability to see evil and thus help in solving crime scenes (in this case/series and not in paranormal cases like in the aforementioned genre series?

8. Amanda says:

I guess New Orleans is becoming a popular pilot location. Now officially praying they don’t give us all horrendous accents we don’t have – True Blood fills my quota on that.

But I might check this out should it get picked up.

9. mrwismean says:

I will have to see if they cast a female co-star. The best think about the original was the relationship between the brilliant, but going blind, detective and the woman dectective who figured it out..used the information to help her be more assertive in the cased work to recover her reputation…and then became his only confidant and lover.

So I will wait to pass judgement until I see who they cast for the female lead.

10. steven says:

I would rather hear something about a My Name is Earl movie that he mentioned he was talking to Greg Garcia about.

11. Bella says:

I loved Memphis Beat, so I’d certainly give this one a try.

12. stefany says:

Sounds like Eli Stone with the singing. Had hallucinations / visions he came to see as a gift (sans Schizophrenia my Perception loving friends – kind of a critical difference) that helped him win his cases.

13. TaMara says:

Still mourning Memphis Beat and anything that puts Jason Lee back on my TV is worth a look.