Pilot Scoop: Tate Donovan Joins CBS' Hostages

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

Deception - Season PilotIn news that casts a shadow on the future of NBC’s midseason sudser Deception, Tate Donovan has joined CBS’ Jerry Bruckheimer-produced drama pilot Hostages, TVLine has learned.

Based on the Israeli format, the prospective series revolves around a family caught in the middle of a grand political conspiracy.

RELATED | Your 2013 Pilot Season Guide: Get the Scoop on All of Next Fall’s Possible Newcomers

Donovan joins Hostages as Brian, the husband of Toni Collette‘s matriarch Ellen. Described as a former Ivy League “golden boy,” Brian is now attempting to cover up the fact that his real estate career is floundering, forcing him to rely on his wife to keep the family afloat. Dylan McDermott (American Horror Story) is also set to co-star.

Donovan’s casting is technically in second position to Deception, which TVLine’s Renewal/Cancellation scorecard currently has as a “long-shot” to earn a pick-up.

Comments (11)

• I’m kind of loving the recent Tate Donovan love. He disappeared for a while but I’m glad he’s back. He’ll always be Jimmy Cooper/voice of Hercules to me, though. Amazing in Argo and really surprising in Deception. Great actor, so congratulations to Tate!

Comment by Rob – February 19, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree! Agree!! :)

Comment by Heatherjm – February 19, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. The one person in Argo I felt deserved an Oscar nomination.

Comment by ben – February 20, 2013 12:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He annoys me. I don’t know, I guess I never saw him the same way after he trashed everyone he worked with on The OC.

Comment by dude – February 20, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I believe he was talking about the younger cast members. Here’s the quote from theTVAddict: “In a press conference Monday promoting the FX legal thriller DAMAGES, actor Tate Donovan [Jimmy Cooper] blamed the quick decline of THE OC on the ego’s of his young co-stars. “The kids became incredibly difficult to work with,” said Donovan, adding that, “the actors were unhappy, and they all wanted movie careers and did not want to be on television, all four of them. They were, like, ‘This show is killing my career.”’

I have not seen any other statement about other cast members..if you have please post, I’d like to see.

Comment by Rob – February 20, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deception is toast.

Comment by TMW – February 19, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely but its ratings are good enough that it should be able to air its season in full. Ultimately I think it’s a blessing because I don’t see how the show could continue beyond the murder mystery and it doesn’t seem complex enough to be dragged out over several seasons. I hope they solve the murder in the finale so it can have a proper ending.

Comment by dude – February 20, 2013 05:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE TATE!!! Always have, always will… and will watch anything he is in.

Comment by TJ – February 20, 2013 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Deception…

Comment by Whatever – February 20, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deception sort of feels like a mini-series at this point. I hope we learn something by the end of the season since I don’t foresee it being picked up for a second season.

Comment by scorpionglow – February 20, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had high hopes for the show, and it started out slow but the last two episodes have been great. But as someone said above, I don’t see how this could extend past his season. I hope it has a good conclusion.

Comment by Faster – February 21, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post