Pilot Scoop: Tate Donovan Joins CBS' Hostages

Deception - Season PilotIn news that casts a shadow on the future of NBC’s midseason sudser Deception, Tate Donovan has joined CBS’ Jerry Bruckheimer-produced drama pilot Hostages, TVLine has learned.

Based on the Israeli format, the prospective series revolves around a family caught in the middle of a grand political conspiracy.

RELATED | Your 2013 Pilot Season Guide: Get the Scoop on All of Next Fall’s Possible Newcomers

Donovan joins Hostages as Brian, the husband of Toni Collette‘s matriarch Ellen. Described as a former Ivy League “golden boy,” Brian is now attempting to cover up the fact that his real estate career is floundering, forcing him to rely on his wife to keep the family afloat. Dylan McDermott (American Horror Story) is also set to co-star.

Donovan’s casting is technically in second position to Deception, which TVLine’s Renewal/Cancellation scorecard currently has as a “long-shot” to earn a pick-up.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots

1. Rob says:

I’m kind of loving the recent Tate Donovan love. He disappeared for a while but I’m glad he’s back. He’ll always be Jimmy Cooper/voice of Hercules to me, though. Amazing in Argo and really surprising in Deception. Great actor, so congratulations to Tate!

• Heatherjm says:

Agree! Agree!! :)

• ben says:

Agree. The one person in Argo I felt deserved an Oscar nomination.

• dude says:

He annoys me. I don’t know, I guess I never saw him the same way after he trashed everyone he worked with on The OC.

• Rob says:

I believe he was talking about the younger cast members. Here’s the quote from theTVAddict: “In a press conference Monday promoting the FX legal thriller DAMAGES, actor Tate Donovan [Jimmy Cooper] blamed the quick decline of THE OC on the ego’s of his young co-stars. “The kids became incredibly difficult to work with,” said Donovan, adding that, “the actors were unhappy, and they all wanted movie careers and did not want to be on television, all four of them. They were, like, ‘This show is killing my career.”’

I have not seen any other statement about other cast members..if you have please post, I’d like to see.

2. TMW says:

Deception is toast.

• dude says:

Definitely but its ratings are good enough that it should be able to air its season in full. Ultimately I think it’s a blessing because I don’t see how the show could continue beyond the murder mystery and it doesn’t seem complex enough to be dragged out over several seasons. I hope they solve the murder in the finale so it can have a proper ending.

3. TJ says:

LOVE TATE!!! Always have, always will… and will watch anything he is in.

4. Whatever says:

RIP Deception…

5. scorpionglow says:

Deception sort of feels like a mini-series at this point. I hope we learn something by the end of the season since I don’t foresee it being picked up for a second season.

• Faster says:

I had high hopes for the show, and it started out slow but the last two episodes have been great. But as someone said above, I don’t see how this could extend past his season. I hope it has a good conclusion.