Castle Recap: Gone Girls

STANA KATIC, NATHAN FILLION, DYLAN WASHThis week on ABC’s Castle, Rick’s worst nightmare came true when a murder investigation evolved into the search for a Middle Eastern businessman’s daughter, who, it turns out, was abducted with Alexis.

GONE, BABY, GONE | The episode opens with Rick and Martha missing Alexis, yet knowing they must let the Columbia freshman have “her own time in the world.” Rick is continuing that thought, touting his (measured degree of) selflessness as a father, as he and Kate come upon their case — Hasim, a well-armed Saudi who’d been mowed down by a van after shooting at it. Discovering a trove of weapons and surveillance gear in Hasim’s apartment, the team speculate that he was a spy, or he was stalking the college-aged girl, Sara, whose place he was bugging. Security cam footage shows that Sara was abducted by the van, and Hasim — secretly hired by Sara’s extremely rich father to act as a bodyguard — tried to stop it.

Rick and Kate visit the last place Sara was seen, a hotel where she attended a speech on climate change. When Castle discovers that Alexis was also in attendance, he calls her to see if she knows anything — only to hear her cell phone ring from inside the hotel’s lost-and-found box. “They took Alexis, too,” he worries to Kate.

Rick and Kate review the facts as known with FBI Agent Harris, Castle_0219_hugwho suspects that Alexis was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that Sara’s abduction may have been a politically driven act of revenge. Distraught to see how rough a crowd may be involved in this, Rick is pulled into a hug from Kate. “Gates will see…,” he cautions. “I don’t care,” Kate defers. “We’re going to find her, Castle. We will.”

LOST GIRLS | As RySposito narrow down the getaway van’s location to 20 blocks in Queens, Rick watches Alexis’ website videos, where he realizes that she had revealed where she and Sara were going that night, to the speech. Rick phones Kate to track the IP addresses of whomever accessed that video. Kate starts to say something reassuring, but Rick stops her, barely getting the words out: “Don’t… promise me you’ll find her unless you can do it. Because I’ll never forgive you, anymore than I’d ever forgive myself.”

Rick meets up with the team in Greenpoint, where they’ve found the van — and a lot of blood. But it matches neither Alexis nor Sara. And it looks like the kidnappers switched cars. “What have you brought me into?” a highly concerned Rick asks Sara’s father. His answer: “I wish I knew.”

Somewhere, in a windowless room, Alexis and Sara come to, then take stock of their captivity. Alexis finds a bathroom, with clothes, meaning they’re meant to be kept alive. They also deduce that they’re in an old building, not in a cellar, and not in the city. After failing to “build a relationship” with the Arabic-speaking grunt who slides them food, Alexis grabs Sara’s bobby pins and sets out to pick the lock.

‘MY LIFE’S ABOUT TO CHANGE AGAIN’ | Espo IDs the getaway driver, Stevens, who’s obviously been shot and is probably holed up with his nurse sister. Beckett & Co. find him there, but he’s not talking. “I’d like a minute with him,” Rick says icily. In private, Castle explains, “The girl with the red hair… I’m her father. So it’s just you… and me.” After the desperate dad fails to get Stevens to volunteer info, we cut away and hear Stevens bellowing in anguish.

“Tell me what happened in there,” Kate later asks Rick, as Harris’ team storms the farmhouse address Harris gave up. “I ‘appealed to his humanity,'” Rick responds. When Kate remarks that she didn’t think he had that side to him, Rick specifies, “When it comes to people I love, I do.” (Watching Beckett, I can’t tell if she’s chilled in general or more specifically startled to have uncovered this side of her lover, as Meredith’s warning still bangs around in her bean.)

Rick reflects on when he first held Alexis as a baby and felt that “instant, inexplicable love” you only get with a child. “I knew my life had changed forever… and now it’s about to change again.”

THE FRENCH DISCONNECTION | When the farmhouse invasion only turns up the dead kidnapper, Harris comments that cracking this case “may be more complicated” than previously thought. Back at the precinct, Kate offers to Rick, “There are hopeful signs here” — to which he can only counter, “How? Our main suspect is dead, we have no idea who we’re looking for… We’re back to square one.” Kate responds with a Castle-ism: “We’ve done it before with less to go on.”

Meanwhile, Alexis has picked the lock, and she and Sara split up to search for exits. Alexis finds a cell phone in an office, but it won’t dial 911. So she Skypes her relieved dad briefly, until she hears the guard frantically searching for them. She drops the phone, allowing the FBI team to trace the call to…

“This can’t be right,” the FBI tech observes, before reporting on the girls’ location: “Paris, France” — as a bewildered Alexis bursts out a rooftop door to see the Eiffel Tower in the distance. What the frog?!
Castle_AlexisFrance

What did you think of Part 1 of the February sweeps two-parter? Did Nathan Fillion blow you away with his steely (confronting the driver) and/or anxious (awaiting the blood-type testing) performances? And does anyone else suspect that Alexis was actually the primary target here?

Want scoop on Castle, or for any other show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Nerwen Aldarion says:

If Nathan Fillion does not get a nomination for this episode at the Emmys this year than it will be officially confirmed that the Emmys are a complete joke.

He blew me away, from his freaked out tearful father to the steely cold Liam Neeson from Taken esque confrontation with the driver. He was AMAZING!

• Chloe says:

TOTALLY agree!

• Kevan says:

The Emmys stopped being relevant to me when they ignored Yvonne Strahovski for 5 years and kept nominating the same overrated Grey’s Anatomy/Law & Order usual suspects. Castle deserves recognition in several acting categories but don’t hold your breath. It’s not a “darling” show.

• Diandra says:

Sandra Oh is a phenomenal actress and one of the greatest on television. Perhaps you should watch some of her scenes and then learn to retract your statement.

• Rick says:

There are a bunch of phenomenal actors out there who deserve to be recognized not just the same ones over and over again just because of the popularity of their show. And sadly that’s just what the Emmys are today: a popularity contest.

• Marvin Broyles says:

Nathan Fillion deserves recognition, and this has nothing to do with Sandra Oh (whose performance in Grey’s has become old and tired).

• Goran says:

Amen to that!

• Mary says:

I couldn´t agree more! The entire episode blew me away, but Nathan Fillion acting? Absolutely AMAZING, AWESOME, and all of that!
      But the Emmies are already a joke to me, anyway… speaking just about Castle, last year Stana Katic so deserved at least a nomination for “Kill Shot”, and did she get it? No, so…

• martina says:

If he doesn’t get an Emmy he should at least get TVLine’s “Performer of the Week” mention.

• julio says:

AGREEEEEEE!!!!!

• tara17 says:

This! Fantastic performance.

• Barbara says:

I agree too, I felt his pain as a father and his love for his daughter, way to go Nathan !

• i hadn’t watched the show at all when it first came out but i have discovered now i am crazy about the show it’s clean plenty of action great acting and some funny on it as well i do hope they make castle and beckett a couple as well also i just hope they don’t cancel it either i am trying to record all of the series that i can hopefully i will get them all before the quit showing them. good luck for a new season this coming fall for nathan and the whole cast of castle. sincerely virginia a new fan

• Alan says:

he was terrifying in that scene with the getaway driver, that moment where he closed his eyes for a real long beat made me feel like he was playing caleb again instead of castle

• asdf says:

It reminded me of Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly. It’s easy to remember him as the fun Captain Tightpants, but he had a major dark side that was always lurking just under the surface. Like Castle in this episode, he was haunted by despair, and willing to do almost anything when pushed hard enough.

This performance was simply magnificent. I’ve never seen its equal on TV before. Castle went from happy-go-lucky to terrified and grief-stricken to driven and remorse, and held the audience transfixed as he did it. We saw great performances from the other actors, but Nathan Fillion stole the show. Normally, Stana Katic is the one who gets the opportunities to stretch herself dramatically. It’s the first time we really got to see Nathan do the same thing, and he was amazing. Emmy material, but probably will be passed over simply because we don’t expect that kind of performance on this series.

BTW, props to Dylan Walsh as well. Normally, the fed in these two-parters steals the show, and while Walsh probably couldn’t outdo Fillion, it’s to his credit that he didn’t try. His calm and calculated performance instead was the perfect counterpoint so we could watch Castle go off the deep end, and watch Beckett caught in the middle. Walsh’s performance was very professional and greatly strengthened the episode.

Assuming “Hunt” matches this one, this will easily be the best of the two-parters, and possibly the best episode in the show’s history. Marlowe clearly realized that the audience knew he wouldn’t kill off Alexis, and didn’t try to pretend that he would. Instead, he focused on how this tears apart the loved ones, especially Castle. Smart call.

• Eli says:

Hah! I actually said to my tv in that moment with the driver “It’s time to get your Mal on Castle!”.

Having said that, he won’t win an Emmy for this and he shouldn’t, while his acting was solid (and I’m a big fan of his) it wasn’t Emmy-worthy, simply because Castle isn’t the kind of show that gives him material that is Emmy-worthy.

• asdf says:

In a typical episode, no, they don’t do emmy-bait material…. but that’s true of a lot of shows that have an occasional “emmy episode” that does win. For a parallel, try Neil Patrick Harris. HIMYM isn’t exactly emmy-bait either, but pretty much once a season there’s an opportunity for Harris to stretch his wings and show you how good he is. Usually on Castle, they give those moments to Stana Katic, but this time Nathan got to show off. The show in general? Not a chance. This episode, and this performance, in particular? I think it’s got a very strong shot.

With that said, How I Met Your Mother does have an advantage in that it’s a clear-cut comedy rather than straddling the categories the way Castle does.

• LaurenMC says:

I love Castle and Nathan Fillion is awesome, but come on now – this is not an Emmy caliber show. They are all fine actors and great fun to watch, but the acting is not on par with the likes of Bryan Cranston, Claire Danes, etc., etc.

2. Not going to lie, I thought the episode was going through it’s usual paces… until the very final scene with Alexis staring at the Eiffel Tower in disbelief.

• Leah says:

That’s what I thought, too. I wasn’t even planning on watching the second half until that moment. I really didn’t see that one coming.

• Kirsty says:

During the episode I was envisioning that she might end up overseas, but that the skyline was Paris was surprising, I was actually expecting Egypt.

• luli says:

that was the most unexpected thing! never expected that!!!

• asdf says:

I can’t believe this. Yes, the Paris reveal was cool (but they’d already foreshadowed it a bit if you were watching closely).

You seriously weren’t impressed by Nathan Fillion’s performance? When he saw the blood in the van? The scene with the driver?

But then after all that, the Paris skyline finally did it? Seriously?

• allie says:

I agree as well. I love Nathan Fillion as much as the next 40-something aged girl, but this episode didn’t blow me away. I can’t put my finger on it although one thing that bugged me was how much time Beckett spent seemingly doing nothing except “letting the FBI” do their job. Since when does that happen on this show? But, after seeing the previews at the end, I am looking forward to next week.

• Leah says:

Exactly! Since when does Beckett sit back and do nothing quietly? The other thing that bugged me was how calm and collected Alexis was UNTIL she got on the phone with Castle. She failed to mention anything about the office building or the dudes speaking Arabic. Also, I know that Caslte was devasted and all, but since when does he talk to Beckett like he did when he told her he would never forgive her if she promised to find Alexis and couldn’t? Seems like they were asking us to take more leaps of faith than usual.

• Rainne says:

Nnnnnnh, I think until you have been in that situation and experienced that kind of panic (on Alexis’s part) and despair (on Castle’s), you can’t really judge how someone should or shouldn’t react. As for Alexis, I think it was more a matter of being able to hold it together until she saw her Daddy and then just falling apart. And I think what Castle said was fair. If Kate promised to get Alexis back unharmed and then couldn’t do it, he would never forgive her *or himself*. That kid is his whole world; if he loses her, he’ll be ruined.

• Alan says:

his daughter was kidnapped, possibly dead; you dont know what was going through his head unless youve been in the same situation, i think (not having been in the situation myself) that its very likely that i could talk like that to even the closest person to me if there was a chance they were making a promise they might not keep.

• asdf says:

Beckett’s priority is helping in the investigation. If Castle goes off the deep end, he could do more harm than good. The FBI guy even discussed this before they realized that Alexis was also a victim.

Alexis’s reactions were totally fine by me. She panicked when she finally saw her dad and could afford to come apart. The arabic was audible already; no need to waste time telling Castle something he could plainly hear in the background (or get off the audio analysis later). Remember, she saw the FBI footage on a screen — she knew the feds were already trying to track her.

This episode really impressed me because it got NOTHING wrong plot-wise. Once visual gaffe: the battery on the phone was flashing red when Alexis told her dad it was dying, but a moment before it had been visible fully charged, and was again charged a moment after that. Dropping the phone was inspired– the kidnappers would follow her and not the phone, and they got more time to track the signal. That’s a really minor complaint but it’s all I could find that went wrong.

• asdf says:

Actually, another moment of Fridge Logic.

Alexis leaving the phone… if the battery ran out before they found it, they might never realize that she’d gotten a call out and that the FBI was onto them. Short of hiding the phone on the roof (and when she left the phone, she’d had no idea she was going to make it out that far), this was the best thing she could have done.

• Tinemi says:

ok… I just have one tiny, little, nuance with your comment… Not all of Nathan Fillion’s fans are 40 something!! I’m a 30 something fan since Firefly :) I haven’t watched the episode, but for what I’ve just read it sounds like a good one. (and yes, I read the recap first, I was a bit worried about Alexis)

• g says:

lol. there’s lots of 20-something male Fillion fans, at least that’s what I know for sure.

• Ryan says:

I agree with this, I am a 31 year old male and I have the biggest hetero-man crush on Nathan Fillion possible. I have loved this man since Firefly and will watch him in literally anything he is in(which tends to apply to all the Firefly alum if I’m honest).

I did find this episode blew me away though. I though Fillion really brought it and just wow was my reaction to him.

• Kirsty says:

Yes – Nathan Fillion has a special kind of appeal that crosses all age barriers and orientations. It is a rare, hard to define quality, but he possesses it in spades. I have known someone like that in real life, and it is really interesting to see the way someone with that gift can attract all sorts of wildly different people to them, with a seemingy universal human appeal. I’m surprised they haven’t tried to bottle and market his pheromones! ;)

• Kirsty says:

But you will be a 40 something fan someday! ;)

3. Nicole says:

I bet Alxia is somehow the target. Why would they be following her blog to find out about the other girl? They were following her blog because they wanted her! Just not sure why yet….

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I had the same thought, added to recap. They took too many pains to make it about the other family, and like you said, why would they be monitoring Alexis’ website?

• Mari says:

and Molly tweeted this: @MollyQuinn93
        “@BnylkoorB: @MollyQuinn93 it’s about Castle/Alexis, not the other girl isn’t it?” Getting warm

• Nicole says:

Maybe the actual target is Castle’s father and they found out some how found out that he has a son. It is probably easier to kidnap a college kid than it is an adult. It was to flush him out of hiding if in fact he was a spy. when we first saw Alexis had a blog was not sure this idea was goig to lead to something else or it was just mentioned in passing for the episode.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That’s what my money is on, though I feel like we’ve seen that before on other shows.

• rachelle says:

Yep, had this exact thought. I can’t wait to see exactly how Gramps ties into this storyline! This episode was pretty great. Nathan’s acting was just… among his best.

• Summer says:

Couldn’t it actually be about beckett? The senator and whoever may be higher than him is sure powerfull enough to arrange an international kidnapping

• Meg says:

Well the preview for next week had Castle saying to someone, “You’re a spy?” and then someone said, “I’m your father” so I would say you’re right on the money.

• Lyndsey says:

Besides that, why would the kidnappers have tortured their own guy? Kill him to keep him quiet sure, but torture? Makes no sense. But Castle’s dad trying to find out where his granddaughter is? That makes complete sense. And for him to know about it that quickly has to mean that Alexis was the target all along. And yes, Nathan Fillion’s acting this week was superb! Can’t wait for next week!!

• tp says:

I didn’t even think about it possibly being Castle’s dad that tortured the kidnapper trying to find Alexis. Great insight. That makes COMPLETE sense! Now I really can’t wait for the next episode.

• Ryan says:

And Lindsey may have hit the nail on the head….I didn’t make that connection at all, well done. :-)

• luli says:

i think Sara was the one in the wrong place at the wrong time… she is just the collateral damage, they want to get to Alexis to get to Castle’s father. i’m sure he has been keeping tabs on his son and his enemies found out he had a family so they went for Alexis.

• asdf says:

I agree totally. They keep telling us that Sara was the real target without any good reason. And the episode is called “Target”. Alexis is the real target.

Grandpa Castle probably is at the center of this. I think HE was the one who tortured and killed the suspect at the farmhouse– for information that would help him rescue Alexis. As the audience, we have to forgive him for that, so they have Castle do a torture scene of his own. In Castle’s race to rescue Alexis, his own father is still one step ahead of him.

Kudos to Marlowe BTW for making Alexis create her own break in the case. Her failed escape attempt will bring about her rescue. And it sure beats the “damsel in distress” we normally get in these kinds of episodes.

• Alan says:

yeah it was great to see her be proactive, ive only ever seen that before in die hard 4 and its really refreshing to see compared to the usual scared and hopeless damsel we get

• Kim R says:

I’m wondering if it has a connection to who Castle’s father is.

• Ryan says:

Nicole and Matt, my only thought as to why they were watching Alexis’s webpage would just be that they have been watching Sara and know who she spends time with and have been watching all those she seems close to.

That said I have to agree it is likely about castle/alexis/Pappaw Castle. I also agree if it ties to his dad, it does feel like something we’ve seen before.

4. James says:

Wow. holly crap Wow. I was actually moved to tears, that has never happened to me when watching a TV show, I might well up, but never tears. Nathan was so exceptional here. the way that he sort of kept it together enough to be fuctional, but still loose it in fits, was a great choice. the torture scene you could totally see a switch being fliped in his psychy. rest of the cast was fantastic as well. Stana did a great job sort of being caught in the middle of doing her job and being their for castle. Just an amazing episode can’t wait a freaking week to see how it ends. Bring on Castle Sr.

• Andrea says:

I’ve been on autopilot when it comes to Castle lately…watching it but not really engaged with it…until last night. The parent child relationship between Castle and Alexis is one of my favorite things about the show, and the waterworks started for me when Castle asked Lainie if Alexis died in the van when he saw the blood.

Bring on next week…and God help anyone who messes with Richard Castle’s kid!

• asdf says:

You can’t watch this episode and not be stunned by how brilliant Nathan Fillion was in it. This episode got everything pitch-perfect.

5. Nicole says:

I teared up when Castle was describing when he first held Alexis. As a parent myself i understand the love of a child. Not only the love but the feeling of the need to protect your child and feeling of helplessness when you cannot be there when they are in trouble. Alexis is smart she stayed calm and used what her father taught her to reason that they are not in New York and how to unlock the door.

6. skrable2 says:

Didn’t her mother recently go on an extended trip to Paris?

• Chloe says:

Wow, you have a good memory! Yes, she did. And Alexis had been scheduled to go with her, but she got sick. Interesting.

• luli says:

Maybe they were supposed to kidnap Alexis there, but since she didn’t go they missed their opportunity so they had to wait for a while and then kidnap her and make it seem like it was about Sara and not her….

• Suz says:

And why has mom not been contacted?

• MJO says:

You are so right! I didn’t think of that.. what if this was just a sick joke of Merediths to get back at Castle?!
      I think Alexis was the true target all along.

• asdf says:

Not only that, but Meredith once took Alexis out of elementary-school to go to lunch… in Paris. So Alexis has been “kidnapped” there before. Plus Castle’s chilling aside to Senator Bracken in Recoil. Plus the many “overprotective daddy” subplots over the years. Plus Alexis’ vlog, mentioned several times previously by a Castle who was concerned for her safety (and proven right).

This episode pays off on a massive pile of foreshadowing.

• Kirsty says:

I was thinking about that too, which led me to imagine, within the context of the larger storyline, that Alexis had probably had opportunities to travel with her mother or father before, and might be familiar with Paris from previous visits – which may prove helpful to her in the next episode.

7. LStewart says:

I think we saw Captain Mal come out through Nathan Fillion tonight when Castle was dealing with the driver. Definitely a familiar face for Nathan Fillion fans. Quite a different direction for Castle.

• Beatrice says:

That’s exactly what I thought!

• Alan says:

felt it was more caleb than mal, i could see evil in his eyes after he opened them right at the end of that scene with the driver, it gave me chills i didnt think fillion could do.

• asdf says:

YES. Thought the exact same thing. What unifies those two characters was despair. For Castle, it’s because he’s afraid for Alexis. For Mal, that’s where he lives psychologically.

Not Caleb. This isn’t “evil Nathan Fillion”. It’s scared and ruthless and driven Nathan Fillion. I mean, go back and watch the bloody van scene and then the interrogation scene and tell me this guy doesn’t deserve an Emmy. What the hell is someone this good doing on network TV?

• g says:

Word. About network TV. Fillion is amazing but the writing is super predictable and corny at times. When I remember how moved I was by his scenes in this particular episode, I remember the actual lines without his delivery and shudder lol. And that is a very frequent case for me with Castle. So I can’t imagine Emmies, not with this material.

8. c-mo says:

Best ep EVER!!

9. Christina says:

I absolutely loved this episode, seriously cannot wait until next week. Minor critique though – anyone feel like we aren’t getting as many couple moments as we should? I feel like we would have had almost all of these Castle/Beckett scenes, written exactly the same, even if they weren’t a couple.

• Jasmine says:

Yes I agree with you on the Castle/Beckett front. It doesn’t even look like they’re a couple. *sigh*

• Michelle says:

I agree, but not in this episode. This episode had the right amount of Castle/Beckett. Castle’s broken and Beckett feels helpless right now, there won’t be much intimacy there.

• edensongbird says:

Exactly. My kid was never kidnapped, but he went through cancer went he was 2 (he’s 9 and fine now) and I can say 100% that those were not “couply” moments with my husband. We are usually the Marshall and Lily of whatever group we’re in, but when you are going through a crisis with your child, it’s hard to remember to be romantic.

• Lindsay says:

Wow, I’m so glad your child is okay. That must have been a tough thing to endure… I can’t even imagine!

The thing is, when something tragic happens to a child, the parents are often torn apart — not because they don’t love each other, but because they feel helpless in their own ways. They feel isolated, and no amount of love for their partner changes that. Sadly, a lot of couples who deal with the tragedy of losing a child end up getting divorced.

If there were couple scenes between Castle and Beckett in this episode, it wouldn’t have seemed as sincere and realistic. No matter how much he loves Beckett, Castle is lost… and as much as Beckett loves him, she can’t do anything to protect him from that feeling. That makes her feel helpless in her own way.

As for an Emmy, yes, Nathan Fillion’s performance was worthy… but as others have said, the dialogue is just not up to par with other shows. If Castle’s dialogue was as well-written and had the same intensity of a show like Homeland (just one example), and Nathan Fillion could perform that as well as he did in this episode, it would be different. He may have been brilliant in this episode, but the scripts simply aren’t challenging enough. I’d love to see him in a more challenging role. After this week’s episode, I think he could handle it.

• Kevan says:

Castle is distraught. Beckett doesn’t know what to do. I get the sense that Beckett is inexperienced in relationships as a whole and doesn’t know how to react to a lot of situations, and in this instance, she probably feels it’s best to just give him space or let him be the anxious parent while she’s there IF he needs her.

• Rita says:

She always wanted HIM to give HER space when she went down the rabbit hole. I think she is using her own experience as a guide and handling him accordingly.

• tngoddess2 says:

I agree that Castle and Backett didn’t act very coupley in this episode but I have a feeling that either that stuff was cut for time or it just didn’t feel right to the actors/writers. This is a tough situation and even though I expected them to hug a lot more than they did, maybe in real life that would be too hard; to close to loosing it.

• Tamim says:

Castle said something like, not here, they’ll see, and Beckett responded, I don’t care. I think ontopof everything else they might be silently hypevigelent to prevent looking too much like a couple in public. It’s a kind of – if I start holding you it won’t stop – so they don’t… Except that one time which could have been explained as a friend needing a friend.and with all the FBI around and Castle needing to be on site, it’s not like Beckett could just waltz in for some supportive romance…

• scooby says:

I knew it! I knew it was only a matter of time before someone started griping about lack of Caskett. She hugged him, held his hand a lot, and got him coffee in a very pointed gesture. We all know what that means between the two of them, something as simple as getting coffee. This is proof positive that even if Marlowe writes a great Castle ep that people admit loving, they’ll get mad when fanfic doesn’t come to life in it. There was enough Caskett given the circumstances, and what we got fit perfectly. Rick’s not gonna be trying to have sex right now. He’s not gonna feel like making out. He’s stressing out about his child. They’ve been a couple for 4+ years, they just hadn’t admitted it. That’s why the scenes look the same (except the hug). Can’t please some folks.

• Guadalupe says:

I agree with you!

• Lauren says:

Agreed. I think that the way Beckett handled things was actually very loving. She has made it clear all along that she is *terrified* of Gates finding out about their relationship. On multiple occasions, not least of which was last week, she has had a near freak-out at the thought of Gates being tipped off. For her to show affection to Castle in public — at the precinct, no less — and then say that she doesn’t even care if Gates sees, was, I think, extremely intimate. It was basically the equivalent of saying, “I love you.” I thought it was very touching, and showed how much she cares for him.

• James says:

I had the same notion. that was incredibly intimate and caring of her, she risked everything, castle as her partner, and possibly another suspension just so she could comfort him. People need to relax and be patient when it comes to Caskett. Marlowe is playing the long game, and I’m totally for it. plus knowing how he likes to operate we’ll get a huge pay off at the end of the season. to be honest I’m worried that they’ll move to fast and get engaged by the end of the season, which in my mind is way to quick. I really loved how Stana played Beckett in this episode it was very fitting.

• Kirsty says:

I think you are absolutely right in how it was meant to be interpreted, but honestly I don’t think they would have had anything to worry about anyway. It is completely natural to offer a comforting embrace to a close co worker when they are experiencing an unusually emotional, traumatic situation – it shouldn’t make anyone assume they are intimately involved, just that they care.

• Tara says:

I love Caskett, but I agree as well. Plus I think Beckett giving him carte blanche to “torture” the guy, was sort of a big testament to how much she cares and trusts him.

• Linda F says:

A-frickin-men, scooby. Not the time, not the place. It was handled just perfectly the way it was shown last night.

• CarlagUK says:

Oh wonderful! Someone who isn’t griping about the lack of Caskett moments. These are good comments and I agree with them wholeheartedly. This was an excellent episode argueably one of the best there has ever been. Nathan Fillion was tremendous. Andrew Marlowe has graced and rewarded the show’s fans by putting the two leads together and yes I do like that but it still isn’t enough for some. Not really very fair. The couple’s shared moments in this episode were natural and appropriate. It was Castle’s episode with a really good contribution from Molly Quinn as his kidnapped daughter. Looking forward to next week’s conclusion. Well done to the whole Castle team

• Alan says:

well put, glad some people understand how people would react in these kinds of situations

• I agree with scooby 100% in the above statement! This was a very tense situation for Castle. Kate was there for him totally! She hugged him in an attempt to comfort him, show him that she is there for him and is willing to do whatever she can to help him.She didnt care if Gates saw and that says alot for the support she is willing to give. As for me, I dont have to have Caskett in every scene. The writers have always given the small signs that they are together at the end of every ep. Dont get me wrong, I like to see Caskett moments, too, but I dont have to have it every time! This was an AMAZING ep, I loved it start to finish, can hardly wait to see how this plays out(I also think Alexis is the target). It was brilliantly written and the acting was extraordinary as always. Nathan , you were/ are terriffic!

• Maria says:

I think that because they are a couple now, Kate knew how to respond to him better in this situation than she would have in the past. But the best thing she can be for him right now is a cop. In an episode like this, it wouldn’t have been appropriate for the two of them to be all over each other. This isn’t a daytime soap opera or fan fiction.

• Alan says:

so her grabbing him in for a hug wasnt a big couple-y moment? she definitely didnt act like that around him last year

10. critter42 says:

How ’bout the shot right before they cut away to the driver screaming of Castle closing his eyes and taking a breath to give himself the strength to do what he must to save his daughter…

• Alan says:

how bout the look in his eyes right after that? i saw evil in there i havent seen since he played caleb in buffy, that was terrifying

• the8tregirl says:

Agree! The look in his face frightened me and I didn’t kidnap his daughter. Well, Castle’s daughter. Who isn’t even real… You know what I mean. Very skilled acting across the board in this episode.

Especially want to mention the actor who plays Captain Gates (I know it’s Penny Last Name Last Name but I simply cannot remember exactly after a long day thinking about, well, work). Not just this week, but in the Housewives episode and last week’s Valentine’s gift mix-up, she’s really shone and finally, with stronger scripting, become 3-dimensional.

11. Jasmine says:

Still bored on the Caskett front. They are just so chaste and not very coupley. It feels like they aren’t even in a relationship. *sigh*

• Elena says:

This episode was not about “Caskett,” though. Last week’s Valentine’s ep was about them and allowed for more romantic moments. However, this episode was not suited for romance. There were, however, some great moments between them…the embrace in the precinct, Beckett holding his hand as he told her about Alexis’ birth. Castle is in agony over his daughter having been kidnapped yet he is talking to Beckett, confiding in her, and leaning on her for support at the very worst moment of his life. Beckett, in turn, is acting as his rock…being there for him, holding him up yet giving him the space to work through things however he can. They know each other better than anyone else. They know what the other needs and how to give it to them. They are there for one another in good times and in bad. Those are key elements of being in a relationship. Ok, they didn’t kiss. So what? So much else happened in this episode that shows intimacy and “couplehood” way more than any kiss ever could.

I mean, honestly, at what point in this episode was there space for something sexual to occur? This was an hour full of fantastic writing, stellar acting, and intense emotion. How can you walk away from all that and be unsatisfied/bored because Castle and Beckett didn’t have time to hook up?

• Kim says:

Thank you, Elena. You said everything I was thinking.

• sofia says:

Everything you just said. EVERYTHING!

• scooby says:

Exactly. Some people need to spend time alone in front of a computer daydreaming about constant Caskett sex while the grownups watch Castle and see a real relationship. Did y’all know that a couple isn’t really a couple when they’re offering emotional support? Unless see ‘em naked or about to be naked, it doesn’t count. Pffft.

• Dani says:

I hope you didn’t mean to be as insulting as that comment sounded, but speaking as someone in a real relationship for the better part of two decades, I suggest to you that imtimacy does not equal sex always. It does however give an expectation of being able to tell the difference between Caskett of pre season 5 and Caskett post s5. I point you in the direction of episodes 11, 12 and 13 especially.

You might also want to think better about tarring everyone of a differing, yet equally valid, opinion to you with the same condescension.

• Tara says:

I’m pretty sure Scooby was being sarcastic.

• MaryAnn says:

That was definitely sarcasm.

• edensongbird says:

UMMM…before you get upset, maybe you should reread the comment. What scooby seemed to be trying to say is exactly what you did – intimacy doesn’t always equal sex. But, and I can attest to this from reading some of these comments – it seems that people weren’t happy with the Caskett scenes in this episode BECAUSE there wasn’t the obvious steamy moments. That’s not what this episode called for…which is pretty much why scooby decided to (verbally) roll their eyes.

• Mary says:

Thank you for sparing me the time to post an answer to that! Everytning I think is there!:)

• Lauren says:

Exactly! If there had been *any* kind of a Caskett hook-up scene in this episode, it would have been in extremely poor taste. The hug and hand-holding were extremely intimate in their own way, and I very much appreciated the subtlety. It was tasteful and appropriate, and sweet.

• Kourt says:

THIS. PREACH.

• Agree! Thank- you, Elena!

• Dani says:

I totally agree with you in general. Caskett is badly underdone, but for once I felt this episode was not about Caskett, so I didn’t feel cheated on the relationship tonight like I have for the majority of the season.

• goldfish says:

oh, for God’s sake!

• Alan says:

yeah because they are going to be at it like rabbits while his daughter has been kidnapped

12. taliesin says:

It also looks like Gates is now well aware of the relationship based on the hugging and hand holding. .

• Nicole says:

I agree! She was looking at them a bit odd when she was holding his hand!

• siska says:

I noticed too! When Beckett holding Castle’s hand, Gates seems like check them out you know, looking at them for a bit. I think she knows,

• Kevan says:

She knows…but she also knows that this is the WRONG time to act like Rhonda Rulebook.

• shauna says:

Based only on the hug and holding hands would be a stretch for Gales to feel they are in a relationship – additionally, Espo & Ryan gave nothing away. If your friend who you spend roughly an entire work day is in pain – as Castle is – I would like to think you can support them with a hug and hold their hands. In previous episodes they there was no hugging and holding hands – well the hand shake no one head what was said. Gates is a great detective but give me a break if she believes supporting your friend who is in pain over your kidnapped daughter means you are in a relationship with them.

• allie says:

disagree. Why would they show Gates watching them (twice) at intimate moments with a thoughtful look on her face if they weren’t setting the stage for her to reveal that she knows about their relationahip? You, of course, are correct that people can show compassion to a friend but this is tv and the writers made a point of showing Gates watching them – she knows.

• Tamim says:

I actually think Bates knew on Valentines, but used the moment to get hers by embarrassing Castle. She knows that Castle knows she’s married and the way she looked at the ring when she found it made me think that she put two and two x twenty together right then. But she also can’t “know” about things or she would have to stop it or enforce rules (which would break up her crime-solving powerhouse). Bates isn’t stupid, so the way she acted when she “found” Castle’s gift to her was just a little acting (which seemed really silly to me, btw) from the Captain to both save face AND to give Castle a little grief. Based on how she reacted when Castle walked away when she told Beckett to find his little girl,you know she really does care for Castle as a friend but she just can’t always stand his aloof mannerisms.

• asdf says:

It’s “Gates” not Bates, but otherwise you’re right. She’s a former IA cop– she probably knew almost from the beginning (may have suspected one even before there was one to suspect). She’s just not saying anything because as long as they don’t give her a reason to notice officially then it’s better for everyone that she play dumb.

I mean, what happens when she finds out? Does she try to throw Castle out again? Quotes the regulations to the Mayor? Maybe loses Beckett as a detective? Why fight that battle? Remember the superhero episode in Season 4? She was willing to overlook some pretty serious misconduct to avoid an embarrassment to the department. And if Castle became a problem, well, she could always play that card at that point.

• Tamim says:

Opps, that’s what happens when you go back and forth from Downton Abbey to Castle – sobbing for both episodes by the way – the names briefly merge through the tears. Sorry ’bout that

• scooby says:

Ha I gotta go back and watch Gates. I was too busy staring at Castle and Beckett. You guys are good at spotting stuff!

• Brigitte says:

Though I think she might think something is up, there is nothing unusual about friends, who have known each other for years, to hug and console each other in such a horrific time.

• GS says:

Did you not catch the scene after Beckett and Castle hugged that Gates stopped her and told her to “do whatever it takes to get that man his little girl back”? I’m glad they are finally giving her a little human element because she was horrible last season.

• Alan says:

there was also another moment where they were holding hands and gates clearly looked away quite pointedly, as if to say i didnt see that and i can ignore the issues it brings up

• Lauren says:

Yup. She totally knows. *BUT* I rather think that we might learn later that she has suspected/assumed all along. I mean, let’s be real: There’s this writer, following Beckett around; and what’s more, Beckett *wants* him around? If I were Gates, I would just assume that they’re sleeping together (but not be able to do anything about it, because the mayor is pulling rank). Granted, they weren’t actually sleeping together during Season 4, but Gates doesn’t know that. I think it would be pretty funny if she said, “Yeah? So? Weren’t you guys sleeping together the whole time???”

• MaryAnn says:

I think Gates may feel she can only let it go on as long as she can PRETEND she knows nothing, or as long as she only suspects and doesn’t know for sure.

• LOL! These are my thoughts EXACTLY! When you go back and watch season4, there are definite remarks that she makes on occasion that she definitely suspects something is going on between them eventhough, they werent acting on it(sleepin together) then. I think s4 is about her suspicions, but s5 is confirmation. I think she will turn a blind eye as far as they are concerned or she will confront them with it at some point and just tell them to keep it on the down low.

• Alan says:

im of the opinion she has known since the documentary episode, she has been a lot nicer to castle ever since then i think

13. Dani says:

Amazing episode, so much better than the last few epis. I kinda feel bad for doubting it could be this good again… this show has never let me down before, not sure why i thought it would this season.
    A few things to point out: Nathan’s amazing acting, especially in that room with the driver. The fact that Castle had to close his eyes real tight to steel himself from what he was about to do. Then the line “Don’t. Don’t promise me you’ll find her, unless you can do it. Because.. I’d never forgive you. Anymore than I’d ever forgive myself.” was probably my favorite.
    In the end when Kate hands him the decaf and she just looks at him… he looks just plain broken and she looks like she feels helpless. Just goes to show you that it’s not necessary for them to be making out all the time for us to see their chemistry, when it’s shown so much better in moments like these. No one needed to say a word… just the shot of their hands, the symbolism of that cup of coffee and the look in their eyes. Once again, i am reminded why i love this show so much.
    P.S. Shout out to the director + whoever was in charge of the cgi in that paris shot because it was soooo pretty and so well done! (must be that i’m used to the crappy cgi in ouat lol)

14. Aude says:

I have this crazy theory that the 3xk might be behind this… We never found his body, he clearly wants to hurt Rick so bad. He failed at the probable cause episode so what would be more hurtful revenge for this guy than to kidnap rick’s daughter and use Sara as a cover up… Anyway i just loved this episode , Nathan was extremely good! But felt bad to see this cliffhanger because i am from Paris originally (living in canada now) and seeing Alexis staring at the Eiffel tower, my heart was bouncing . Can’t wait for next week !!!

15. CM says:

Yeah, Gates definitely knows. Especially when they showed her observing the hand-holding. Methinks there will be a convo at the end of the next episode when all of this is resolved. They’re not going to do anything to Alexis, they won’t go there.

I’d be interested to see if Alexis and Beckett will bond over shared trauma after this. Maybe Alexis gets PTSD too?

16. Tina B. says:

Nathan deserves an emmy nod for this episode, fantastic acting. Great performance by Molly and Stana too, this ep is pushing everyone into great acting but Nathan takes the cake

• Agree! Acting was excellent by all of them! Nathan really brought it! Stana, Molly, Penny, and Karen(Great to see her back and doing well),were great, too. Everyone and everything about this ep was great! loved it from start to finish and can hardly wait for next week!

17. Theresa says:

I’m thinking Castle’s ex/Alexis’s mom is a spy. That’s the feeling I got from the promo, and the whole Paris thing..

18. Moonlight4evet says:

Caskett needs to hang out with Olitz from Scandal. Maybe they can pick up some hotness and couple tips!

• Eluse says:

Agreed. Castle has become a total bore. It’s completely lost its sense of fun. Olitz is so much hotter it’s hard to believe they’re on the same network.

• gabr923 says:

What do you want? s e x or fun scenes? Even you don’t know what you want. If Scandal (a boring, unreal and overrated show) is funny I’m done. There are poeple who use the most st*pid things to criticize Castle without reason. Playboy channel is wating for you.

• rachelle says:

Uhhhhh you don’t need to sacrifice sexy for funny or vice versa. I watch and love both shows with Scandal being my favorite. You think Scandal is boring, unreal, and overrated, congrats. Some people think the same of Castle. To each his own. Both shows are good, but the chemistry on Scandal is unparalleled. Liking electric chemistry on a network tv show does not mean you like the Playboy Channel.

• scooby says:

Some of us don’t find chemistry between a married man and a woman working for him to be particularly fun to watch. His wife may be awful, but most of the rest of them are no gem. The show’s intense, sure, but the obsession with speaking quickly isn’t a purely artistic choice. Shonda’s got an admitted obsession with West Wing and Sorkin-speak. His stuff is not good purely because it’s fast, though, it’s good because it’s musical and witty. I started watching Scandal for Josh Malina honestly and loved seeing Deep Fried Twinkie aka Abby aka Darby in a bigger role. I’m not gonna root for Fitz as a person, can’t do it. He got what he wanted, a political wife and an entourage of people who were capable of things beneath a true ‘white hat’. I’d rather Olivia get someone better. Of course it takes two to have an affair, so maybe I should think less of her. I just enjoy Kerry Washington.

I’ll take Castle/Beckett over Olitz any day. If I’ll ship anybody on Scandal, it’s Abby/David.

19. skrable2 says:

In an ep such as this, to be nitpicking the romantic element is laughable

• Eluse says:

Completely agree. They might as well be in season 4. Why wouldn’t Beckett go over to Castle’s to keep him company? It’s ridiculous.

• Kim says:

Maybe because Beckett was trying to find Alexis? Not to over simplify, but holding Castle’s hand wasn’t going to help find Alexis. Staying at the precinct and running down leads and doing her job, would. I think in Beckett’s mind, the best thing she could be doing for Castle is trying her absolute hardest to find Alexis. Also, I think you missed the point of the comment you posted on.

• emgregson says:

People who are nitpicking that there wasn’t any Caskett romance completely missed the point of this fantastic episode…they also missed out on the significance of the fantastic Castle/Beckett interactions we had in this episode. Notice that Castle never shed a tear in front of anyone other than Beckett? He was letting her see him at his most vulnerable. Beckett, I’m sure, wanted nothing more than to be with him around the clock and just hold him through it all. However, like Kim said, she chose to stay and work around the clock instead because that’s what he really needed her to do.

• Kim says:

Not to start a mutual admiration society chapter in this comment section, but I agree with everything you said Emgregson. I thought the moments Castle and Beckett shared were not only appropriate considering the situation at hand, but also intimate. In rooms full of people, one of whom is the Captain and could sever their partnership, Beckett gave Castle as much physical comfort as she could. I think that was new territory for her. Castle is usually the one comforting Beckett. For the roles to be reversed, I think she did a fine job even though she might not have been confident she was. There was pure emotion between them. The conflict of Beckett being a cop and being the girlfriend of the father of one of the kidnapped girls was palpable. It was clear to me how torn she was at times.

• sofia says:

@emgregson and kim’s comments: *standing ovation*

• Savanna says:

And all of the awards go to the two of you!

20. Eluse says:

Nathan will never get an Emmy. People like Hugh Laurie and Alec Baldwin get nominated for Emmy’s. Real actors. You don’t get an Emmy just because you cry on camera. His acting is serviceable, at best.

21. Chandramas says:

If Nathan Fillion doesn’t win an Emmy for this I will consider it a personal offence!

22. siska says:

People keep complaining about Caskett thing, maybe I am kinda dissappointing about that too. But Kate helping Castle here as she investigating this kidnapping and do her best. And besides Kate always by his side, she’s calms him, being a good listener for Castle, isn’t that enough?

And btw, I think this is one of the best episode so far from this season, and yes bringing Paris up for the episode I kinda wish Meredith was there and saving her you know or maybe Beckett. But next week probably will be about Castle and Castle Sr. so just hoping it’ll end fine.

23. Eliza says:

They’ve been foreshadowing this episode for a while: (1) Rick has mentioned several times this season that a father will do anything to protect his daughter. In fact so many times that it became noticeable and caused (rightfully so it turns out) for Alexis; and (2) discussion about Alexis’ website.

• Suz says:

3) Alexis was to go to Paris with her mom
      4) Rick changes the subject whenever his dad is mentioned
      5) concerns whenever Alexis has new friends

We can tie many small things back to why target is not Sara.

24. gabr923 says:

I really found Target an amazing episode, one of the best so far. Intense, emotional, unexpected ending, I loved last scene, good acting. I can wait for Hunt. This show has a lot of thing to offer, not like other show that can only offer s e x and bases its success on that only.

25. Ryan says:

I didn’t see the episode but I caught the ending. Did anyone else’s mind go straight to the fifth season of “Alias” when Sydney is abducted, escapes from her captors, bursts out of the building she’s being held in – only to discover that it’s not a building at all but a giant freaking boat in the middle of the freaking ocean? That moment still gives me chills just thinking about it. [End of irrelevant connection between an old show and one that I am devastatingly behind on]

26. Reisiecup says:

Thought it was fantastic. Was a little surprised Beckett left Castle alone with the dude but thought that was a little awesome =-) just enough Caskett and can’t wait till next week!

27. Christa says:

Loved the episode, I just have issue with the title of this article: Gone Girl. If referring to the book of Gone Girl then I would think a certain thing (don’t want to spoil an awesome book for anyone). There is no way the next episode could go that way, but that is still a fun thought and twist.

28. skrable2 says:

I’ll never understand people complaining that Show A doesn’t do things the way Show B does them. In this discussion, for instance, Castle isn’t Scandal … how anyone would try to compare the two is odd.

Scandal is a political soap-opera; Castle is a dramedy police procedural. Wanting more romance/sexual content isn’t in the DNA for a show like Castle. The balance is just fine. Some episodes, such as the weekend in the Hamptons, focus on the relationship; others focus on the crime. Target weaves the relationship into the investigation of the crime.

• emgregson says:

Yes! I am so sick of the Scandal/Castle comparisons. They are two completely different shows. There is nothing that is the same about them. They have completely different tones and serve two completely different purposes. Saying that Caskett should take their cue from Olitz is ridiculous because those two relationships have nothing in common. I love how you referred to the DNA of Castle bc that’s exactly what it comes down to in the end. Castle has never been an overtly sexual show and it never will be.

Listen, I love that Beckett and Castle are together. I love the balance Andrew Marlowe and his team have created between episodes focusing on cases and those focusing on Caskett. They know their show and their characters. They have stayed true to the show they created 5 years ago and are not caving to the pressure to throw in sex scenes for the sake of having them in there. I think they have done a fantastic job of developing the emotionally intimate relationship between Beckett and Castle. I’m not a prude and would never complain at having more physically romantic moments on the show. However, I just think that AWM and his team have chosen to devote more time to show the emotional growth of Beckett and Castle as a couple than anything else because we know the physical stuff is happening whether we see it or not. The emotional stuff we can’t supply with our imaginations. We can’t just assume that Castle is allowing Beckett to see him cry and that Beckett is trusting him with her deepest fears/concerns. Those moments where they expose themselves emotionally to one another are the moments that really count. Considering the journey these two have taken to get where they are now, the emotional stuff is what is more important to see on-screen. The physical stuff is awesome and I squeal/blush like an idiot when we get those scenes. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see more of that stuff. Still, the emotionally stirring scenes between them are the ones that stay with me long after the episodes are over and show me how far they’ve come while giving me an inclination as to where they are going.

AWM knows what he’s doing. Give the man some credit and stop comparing Castle to Scandal. It’s seriously a case of apples to oranges.

~Elena

• Dani says:

I agree with you about the Scandal comparisons, and I even agree that this episode wasn’t about caskett as such. However you cannot possibly convince me that Caskett has been anything but worryingly underdone saves for selected episodes spread far out. To the point where as someone mentioned here previously, you cannot tell the difference between Caskett of season 5 and Caskett of season 3. I point you in the direction of episodes 11, 12 and 13 for starters.

If you find Caskett fine and dandy, good for you, but it feels like the majority are getting frustrated and bored. We’re not talking gratuitous sex scenes or macking sessions, but intimacy of a nearly year long relationship. Underdone is this ship.

I love AWM, but that doesn’t make him immune to criticism, and when more and more people from many different places are issuing the same critique you cant deny there is a problem.

• Elena says:

@Dani,

I have to respectfully disagree that you can’t tell the difference between Caskett S3 and Caskett S5. They have been in this couple rhythm for so long now that, honestly, there isn’t much that should be different about them on the surface. They still butt heads, drive each other crazy, lean on one another for support, and push one another to be the best version of themselves. That’s who they have always been and, as AWM has said before, that is who they will always be. Some might say that the biggest change between S3 and S5 is that they are physically intimate with one another. While that is definitely a significant change, I think the greatest change is that they are now emotionally intimate with one another, more so than they have ever been with each other (or anyone else, for that matter). It is in those emotionally charged moments where they bare a bit more of their souls to one another that we see the greatest changes in them.

It really is the seemingly smaller moments that demonstrate just how far they have come and how much they have changed for the better now that they are together. It’s in the way Beckett shares things with Castle that she never would have before (her reasons for loving Nebula 9, her close call w burning that letter in Recoil, her fear of being “just a cop” to his ” world famous writer); it’s in the way Castle understands what she needs and how he can best give it to her (letting her work thru things the way she saw fit in Recoil, quietly boosting her confidence when the documentary cameras where so uncomfortably focused on her in Swan Song). It’s in the way they allow one another to see themselves at their most vulnerable. Go back and watch the last scene of Reality Star Struck. Beckett wasn’t just giving him a drawer in her dresser in that scene. She was offering him a permanent place in her personal space, a symbol that he has a permanent spot in her life. This was a huge step for her, one she would have shied away from in S3 or even at the beginning of S5! She is not one to take risks and put her heart on the line but she did it here. She did it for him and for them. In addition, Castle has always been the fun guy, the eternal optimist, never letting anyone see him cry. Did you notice that the only person he allowed to see him weep in Target was Beckett? She’s the only one to whom he expressed his sense of defeat and hopelessness. She’s the only one he allowed to see that dark side of him. Consider if these events would have transpired between them 2 seasons ago. I don’t see how they could have because neither of them were at that place yet where they were willing/able to allow the other to see those sides to themselves.

So, are they all over each other constantly, holding hands at every moment, sneaking off into the supply closet for a quickie? No. Do we get to see them on dates and cuddling in bed? Not really. Would I like to see more of those “at home” moments? Sure, we all would. I’d love it, actually. However, I am so pleased with how AWM and his team of writers are using these “smaller moments” (which really are not so small at all) to show how much these two have changed now that they are in a committed relationship. I think the route they have chosen challenges Nathan and Stana as actors because they have to convey so much without things being overtly romantic (those hot/sweet romantic moments that we do get notwithstanding, of course). I also think the route they have chosen challenges us as an audience to pay closer attention and take notice of those “small moments” and really reflect on what they mean to Castle and Beckett both as individuals and as a singular unit. To be honest, I think we should take it as a compliment that AWM sees us as an intelligent audience that deserves more than most other shows give us when it comes to romance. The making out/sex stuff is all well and good. However, to me, the emotional intimacy that Castle and Beckett share nowadays is hotter, more compelling, and more authentically romantic than anything I have ever seen on television.

~Elena

• Fran says:

Elena, you are so right on. Thank you for posting this. I am constantly amazed at the people complaining that there aren’t enough romantic moments and comparing it to Scandal. Genuine and REAL intimacy is about a heck of a lot more than kissing and sex scenes. People are free to have their opinion, but I see amazing chemistry and intimacy between Castle and Beckett. Way more than a sex scene could ever show. I will say that I don’t see much of a difference between the two from season 3 to 5, but I think it’s because they were basically already together in season 3- even if it wasn’t official and they hadn’t done the deed yet. I also can’t say that the majority are upset or bored with their relationship. Judging by the comments on these recaps week after week, the majority seem to understand the direction of the show and that it’s not going to drastically change. The reason why I love this show so much is that I get to use my imagination about the two together and I think that’s way sexier than actually showing it. Just my two cents on the issue :)

• Thank- you again, Elena! This is very well said and I could not agree with you more! The Caskett scenes are awesome to see, but it is in the little things that stay with me also. And I trust Marlowe and team and I think the show is going in all the right directions, which is 1 reason why I love this show so much! Nathan, Stana and the rest of this AMAZING cast are incredible! I have held my tongue for a long time now, but I am sick of all the back- biting, insulting remarks about the show and its cast! I am a strong believer that if you cant say anything nice, just shut up! This is an Amazing show on all counts, but if someone doesnt agree they should just stop watching.

• Tara says:

I think that the first episode of a series always sets the tone. Castle has always been set-up as a crime show with a humorous undertone. Yes, the Castle/Beckett relationship always had sexual or romantic tension, but that’s not what the show is about. It’s not a soap opera and it’s not supposed to be. If the writers made the entire show about the Castle/Beckett relationship, then they would lose a lot of fans

29. Alex says:

Anyone else think that rick’s father was the one who tortured the kidnapper in the farm house

• skrable2 says:

That makes sense, but even if we grant that Castle pere is a highly-efficient spy, how was he clued in to the kidnapping?

• luli says:

I think Castle’s father keeps tabs on them and when he found out that his granddaughter was kidnapped he took matters into his own hands to protect his family…

• Suz says:

Agreed. Thinking he is a shadow that Rick never notices and why Martha’s relationships never work out. Could be why Alexis didn’t get early admit to Stanford? He needs them all in NYC.

• Alan says:

something probably triggered in the computer systems of whatever secret agency he works for when the fbi were informed of alexis’s part in it

• goldfish says:

yes! i was thinking about the same thing. Can’t wait for next week.

30. 4theloveoffilm says:

I agree that Nathan Fillion was in excellent form this episode. Some of his better work. I don’t think he’ll get an Emmy nod, but then a number of exceptional actors get snubbed each year. There is a lot of fine programming on and the competition is stiff–although I personally would mix it up a bit.

I think Alexis was the intended target. And perhaps it does have something to do with Castle’s father. The blood-in-the-van scene got me teary-eyed, and it’s not easy to make me cry. I also loved the scene in which Castle confronted the driver. You could see the driver go from cocky and uncooperative to panic-stricken when Castle told him who he was. I think Kate handled Castle perfectly. He wouldn’t have accepted more affection from her. Not in his state. And the fact that she left him alone with the driver–without hesitation, a word of caution, nothing (when she usually would)–speaks volumes. Depending on what transpired, she could have lost her job. She didn’t care. She just wants to get Alexis back to the man she loves. She just didn’t know she was sending Captain Malcolm Reynolds into the room.

FANTASTIC episode. I knew Alexis wouldn’t be at the farm, but I must say that I was NOT expecting Paris. Like, at all. The only thing that bugged me is that I wanted her to carry the phone with her when she ran and scan her surroundings with it so they could get clues from the building, etc. But I suppose there was a better chance of leaving the line open by leaving it behind.

31. Kate says:

Wow- what an amazing episode! It was just soooooo good and I seriously can’t wait until next week. This show just does so many things right!

32. Katie says:

I agree with the folks saying Caskett didn’t look like much of a couple in this episode… this easily could have been an episode from season 2 I don’t get why people can’t say it like it is, instead of sugar coating everything. Caskett don’t look like a couple at all. I’m sorry but they just don’t. And for me, that ruins the enjoyment of the show. Okay for some it may be peaches and cream for you but for me it isn’t, and I’m not sorry for feeling this way. I’m very, very disappointed, now I kinda wish they hadn’t gotten together. They were better off just being friends/co-workers because now they are even more chaste and boring, at least they had a spark back then.

• Maria says:

In any season prior to this, Kate never would have hugged Rick so intimately in the precinct, no matter what the circumstances. So far this season, I’ll agree the writers could have brought a little more heat and romance, but not in this episode. That would be really inappropriate.

33. Deb Caskett says:

Fantastic episode – the anxiety and tension were brilliantly portrayed. Kudos to the cast & especially Nathan. For people expecting OTT Caskett moments – that’s just so not realistic in this scenario – I think it was really well portrayed.

34. Joy says:

Does anybody think Alexis got trafficked?

35. Gaia says:

I stopped watching Castle a few episodes back but I think I’m gonna watch this 2eps….seems like I can’t miss them.

36. Dani says:

I’m usually the first to complain about chaste Caskett, but this episode was not the time for it. Even I can see that. In fact the scene that really hit home to me was the end scene when he wouldn’t touch her. In my mind, he knows if he did, he would break and he can’t let himself do that.

The episode was a tour de force for Nathan and he was mesmerizing. As much as he deserves an Emmy nod, and he really does, he won’t get one. Emmy committees don’t like Castle, sadly.

I too think that Alexis is the actual target and it is because of someone needing to flush out or get leverage on Daddy Castle. Sofia Turner told us that Rick got special privileges to work with the CIA because of his dad and I think that is going to bear out next week. His dad is CIA working in Europe, hence Paris, and therein lies the tale. I do also think though that Castle is going to be so pissed that the kidnapping is Daddy’s fault that he’s going to tell him to go to hell.

• scooby says:

Excellent analysis Dani. :) I hadn’t thought of the fact that Castle’s not gonna go ‘Dad! Great to meet you!’ after what he caused (which we’re guessing at right now, but would make sense cuz we’re trained to look for fake outs).

I appreciate a sane response to the Caskett situation. He absolutely would’ve broken if he’d held her. It’s amazing what Nathan did this week. What a shame Emmys don’t get pushed by ABC when it comes to Castle–I think they consider the show useful and not awards fodder so they don’t try. They figure they’re getting plenty of eyeballs with no promotion hardly, so why bother doing anything which isn’t the worst logic if you’re looking at earning a profit, it just short changes the actors. An intern got Twitter hashtag duty, but that’s free. Someone needs to push him for this ep if there’s any justice. Heck, if ABC bothered to try, that show of support would be almost as good as if he won the darn thing.

37. Ana says:

I got totally teary-eyed. I love that we saw a darker side of Castle. When he closed his eyes just before he did whatever he did to the driver you had this sense that he didn’t want to do it but there was no fear or hesitation, he would do whatever it took to get the answer for the sake of his daughter. He was resolute without being cold or sadistic. It was phenomenal. And it was very cool the way that Alexis didn’t fall apart in fear but instead looked for a solution. He is very much like her dad in that sense. Excellent episode. And the end with the Eiffel tower was a nice twist.I did get a sense that this is not about the other girl. The abductors targeted Alexis and the other girl was just at the wrong place and the wrong time. I’ve been watching Castle since day one and some episodes are stronger than others but I’ve yet to miss an episode.

38. TVDIVA says:

Excellent twist at the end with Alexis in Paris. I agree this is about the Castle family and Sarah was the one in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only reason for Castle’s father to show up in the next episode is because it is all about the Castles, NOT Sarah. I appreciated that Beckett focused on her job and tried to keep Castle from crossing that line of work/love so she could focus on getting Alexis and Sarah back, and Castle’s frustration of not being allowed to participate as he usually does. But it is really Castle’s mother who is the strongest in the family and will hold them together, and Alexis who is the smartest and will get herself out in one piece.

39. Astrid says:

Excellent episode! Loved the twist at the end!

40. Seren says:

Amazing episode, cannot wait for next week to see Castle go rogue!
    Joy, I can see where you are going with that trafficking theory….the promo shows Alexis in a cage (its a bit creepy)
    I really don’t know why Beckett was surprised at Castle’s actions with the driver. When she was in danger at the warehouse and Hal Lockwood was about to shoot her, Castle smashed his face in with his bare hands!! I just hope the writers don’t use this as an excuse for Beckett to start doubting how well she knows him, especially having that seed planted by the Deep Fried Twinkie……

41. Joe says:

Was I the only one that thought Sara might actually be a part of all this? I found it odd how she said she couldn’t remember much yet we saw her running out of the van. I think she’s definitely with the kidnappers and this is all focused on Alexis.

• AJ says:

I was wondering that too! I didn’t understand how Sara said she couldn’t remember but then she was the one to run out of the van! Glad someone else caught that too!!!

42. Stephanie says:

Its like TAKEN the movie with the Paris bit in the end and how they haven’t called for ransom all these hours!!! I think in part 2 Nathan Fillion will be channeling his inner Liam Neeson!!

43. mdb says:

Great episode. Nathan did an amazing job. I do not think Alexis was the primary target but I do think her mysterious boyfriend was Hasim. I also think Castle’s explanation of how his life changed when he held Alexis for the first time is going to mirror what his dad has to say when they meet or maybe Castle’s dad will end up dying to rescue Alexis…. just my thoughts.

I am just so glad the writing, acting and directing have improved in the last couple of episodes. I thought the early part of the season was terrible. I am glad the Castle mojo is back.

44. Lauren says:

Has anyone else wondered if *Beckett* knows something about Castle’s dad? I can’t forget that seemingly random scene from last season in ep. 4×17 — i.e., right after Sophia made that comment alluding to Castle’s dad possibly being in the CIA — when someone in the precinct handed Beckett a note. She opened it, read it, frowned, closed it, and then jumped back into the conversation with Castle, Ryan, and Esposito — never mentioning what was in the note. There was also an interview with AM, if I recall, about the note, in which someone actually asked whether it was significant. He played coy and dodged the question, but didn’t deny it. Honestly, I had rather forgotten about it — that is, until the end of 5×10, when Meredith told Beckett about how Castle’s reaction to the “dad” question was too evasive for her taste. I wondered if Beckett’s look in response might not be what it appeared — that is, perhaps it wasn’t an “Oh, my God, she’s right: I don’t know him as well as he knows me,” but rather, “How is he going to react when he finds out that I went digging around and found something out about his dad?” After all, it’s not like *Beckett* responded all that well when Castle did the same regarding her mom… I think the chances of the above being the case are small, but I still wonder…

• ska says:

Which episode is that about this “precinct handed Beckett a note. She opened it, read it, frowned, closed it, and then jumped back into the conversation with Castle, Ryan, and Esposito”?
      I checked Linchpin episode right after Sophia told Castle about his father being in CIA but i don’t find that scene.

• Lauren says:

Linchpin is 4×16. That is the episode where Sophia talks about Castle’s dad, right before she bites the dust. 4×17 is “Once Upon a Crime.” The note scene I was referring to is about half-way through, I think. When I said “right after Sophia made the comment,” I meant that the note scene occurred in the *episode* that followed the one in which Sophia made the comment. Sorry for any confusion!

• Susan says:

The note was in the episode where Martha put on her play in Castle’s loft. Martha was the one who invited Kate to the play. I think that note was a phone message from Martha to Kate inviting her, or asking her to call Martha so that she could invite her. At least, that’s what I took from it.

• Areshia says:

I remember being extremely upset at the end of that episode because of that note. Kate had way too much of a reaction to what was on that paper for it to be nothing. And they never revisited it. I even forgot about it a few episodes later. I’m not sold on it having anything to do with Castle’s father, but if Marlowe did act coy when I asked about it, I am really curious to see if, and hopefully when, it is revealed.

• sofia says:

I cannot believe that people are still talking about that note, which by the way was not a note. Go back and watch the episode again. Pause it, take pictures, enhance it, whatever, and you’ll notice that that “note” is actually Martha’s invitation for her play. Is it that hard to realise that? It has been almost a year since then.

• Lauren says:

I’m sorry, but what would you call a hand-written message on a piece of paper, if not a “note”? P.S.: Many “invitations” are written on *note* cards… Also, the question to Marlowe about the note — YES, it was a NOTE — came *after* the episode had aired, not before. That is, people had already learned about Martha’s invite to the play, and still had questions. So I’m clearly not the only one. And I *have* watched multiple times. I’m not disagreeing that the NOTE was an invitation/message from Martha, I’m just saying that we don’t know for certain what, exactly, it was. Thanks.

• ska says:

I agree with Lauren. It can’t be an invitations to Martha’s play. And why another cop in the precinct gave the note and not Martha? I watched again the episode and i noticed like some kind of logo in the top of the paper and it make me sure it wasn’t an invitation from Martha. We don’t know exactly what it is and why they put that scene and made us terribly curious about that, but if it is something then we open to theories right? And that “Beckett investigating Castle’s dad” theory is possible. Unfortunately AM never said a word about the note, if it was nothing AM must’ve say something when someone questioned about it and we can move on, but no. It still a question mark.

45. Ana says:

That was sooooo good!
    Nathan Fillion was amazing, the tears and that look when he is left alone with the driver.
    and yes, I really think Alexis was the primary target. I wonder why Paris? it’s just a coincidence that she was suppose to go there with her mom?

46. Andrea says:

This episode was amazing. Molly Quinn was fabulous, especially in the last scene. And Nathan Fillion hit this one out of the park. His emotions were so well done, I absolutely loved his performance. I’m so anxious for next weeks second part! Castle really knows how to do a 2 part episode.

47. Krithika says:

Amazing episode!!! Nathan deserves a standing ovation *cough* and an Emmy.
    *sigh* I had always thought Caskett’s first trip to Paris would be their honeymoon. Boy was I wrong…

48. Chris says:

Overrated episode…

49. DMC says:

To me, this was the best episode of the season. I was griped from the beginning and waiting with anticipation of Castle’s realization that his daughter was taken too. Who didn’t have tears in their eyes!! The shock of the girls being in Paris was just the icing on the cake. How ABC and the actors kept that little secret is amazing. This episode showed what a family the team is, including Gates. And I believe that she knows about Kate and Castle, but she too, like Montgomery, realize how good he is for her. Nathan Fillion was fantastic in this episode and if the Powers-to-Be don’t submit it for Emmy consideration, then they are the fools.

• Lauren says:

They’ll submit this episode for him, but it’s hard for Castle and co. to win, because it’s a light-hearted drama (most of the time). It’s too comedic to get a pull for the drama categories, and too dramatic to be nominated as a comedy. I *love* this genre, but Emmy-winning it is not. Alas.

• soxfan says:

@DMC – I agree, I believe Gates does know about Rick & Kate’s relationship. Gates isn’t that stupid or naive – she couldn’t get as far as she has with zero instincts/intuition. I think that little speech last week about the earrings & how she was going home to be with her husband, her Valentine, was kinda telling him to be a bit more careful about the relationship at the precinct. I really do think she likes & respects Kate & her team o’ guys & she knows they work so well together. Her motto is most likely “why fix something that isn’t broke?” I am wondering if Rick’s father had Alexis kidnapped purposely to keep her safe & her friend happened to be the one that was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Just a thought …. Nathan Fillion just blew me away with all of his ranges of emotion – I am hoping that one Emmy has his name on it at the night time Emmy awards later this year!!! And if not, we fans of “Castle” will still know how great a job he did last night & will again in part II. Oh & one question … where did Rick’s ex-wife head off to a few weeks ago after living at his place when Alexis was sick?

50. m says:

Nathan Fillion played the frightened father just perfectly.
    The tears the wondering the wanting to do whatever necessary to save his child.