Pilot News: Mad Men's Peyton List Is One of The CW's Tomorrow People

peyton listPeyton List has joined The CW pilot The Tomorrow People, our sister site Deadline reports.

The superhero drama, adapted from the 1970s UK series, follows several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution. Each of them possess special powers, including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together, they fight evil.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers

Greg Berlanti (Arrow) and Julie Plec (The Vampire Diaries) will executive-produce along with writer Phil Klemmer (Chuck).

List’s character, Cara, is the female member of the group; she’s described as trustworthy with a sense of humor.

The actress recurs as Roger’s estranged young wife Jane on Mad Men and has had roles on FlashForwardSmallville and 90210.

1. Gilda says:

*The* woman? Is that a typo or is there really only one main girl in the cast? I thought we’d moved past the days of lonely Uhura.

• mia says:

I literally had the exact same reaction. If there is only one female character on this show I will not be watching.
      Seriously “the female member” wtf.

• ZmaX says:

Thought the same thing, but i’m pretty sure she’s not going to be the only female series regular(at least I hope not), but she is the only female character of the main four super-powered ‘Tomorrow People’ but there are also more (currently unnamed) ‘tomorrow people’

I found the character list for this show:
      Stephen, Cara, John, Russel, Jedikiah, and Astrid

Anyway, I’m happy with this casting, it’s Lucy Lane, Lois Lane’s younger sister from Smallville! :D

• mia says:

They should gender-flip one of the other male characters so its 2 and 2 even. Be refreshing for tv. And its not like a gender-flip hasn’t worked on tv before.

• Maki says:

She will probably the be the lead girl of the “heroes”. CW makes it low budget with 2 male hotties and one super sweet chick(read text above). . . There will be some other females but she will be part of the Supernatural trio .
      She is a solid actress! Will be interesting to see how CW will develop this. . .

• rikes says:

Its not that big of a deal. One female or one thousand get over it

• mia says:

But it is a big deal. Women make up 52% of the population so having 1 female character on a tv show when the rest are male is a serious problem. And we have the right to express that frustration.

• Jason says:

What, are you a lez? Be happy watching hot actors of the opposite sex. Geesh. Otherwise, tune in any of the other heavily-female populated shows, like Carrie Diaries, 90210, Hart of Dixie, Emily Owens (rip), Nikita, Vampire Diaries, Beauty & Beast, ad nausea…

• Alan says:

what are you an idiot? sorry i couldnt resist, i dont really think that. is it that much of a shock that someone would like to see characters which actually represent the distribution of people in the world, do you never find it utterly stupid that in tv land the population appears to be about 90% male?

2. Me says:

This sounds like x-men or the tv show heroes

3. shuayb says:

In the uk series there were two females. I doubt people nEed to make too much of a fuss about this… I doubt this will get ordered to series… Its a good concept but we have Arrow, Spn and Nikita with similar stories, the difference here is that there are ‘mutants’. History proves that shows with that type of story starts out good but then ppl loose interest. (Mutant X and Heroes to name a few) The other thing is that both Julie and Greg have Arrow TVD n The Originals as their top priorities so how much time will they give this show if it does get ordered. The CW should be smart, pass on shows where the show runners and EPs already have shows at the moment. Especially for Julie Plec. She needs to inject life into the vampire diaries asap. The ratings are not good as season 1 n 2.

• ' says:

I don’t agree with this, I mean, Shonda Rhimes had Greys and PP, and made Scandal, and Scandal is an amazing show! I mean… I don’t think the producer’s time is such a problem here. And even the TVD ratings aren’t as good as on first seasons, still is one of the top ratings on the CW, so… Don’t think she has to worry kmuch.

• Scott says:

The original UK show had three main female characters, although they mostly used only one in the show at a time. There could have been two for part of the last two seasons – I haven’t really seen those episodes. Similarly the version in the 90s also only one female character at a time.

The show was very much a product of the 70s. The 90s version wasn’t exactly a raging success and I can’t see the show working all that well now either. Part of the problem is that powers need expensive special effects to work properly. If you don’t have the budget then you’re stuck with largely mental abilities that don’t have to be shown graphically. The 2010 show Tower Prep (which also had four main characters with powers…) suffered from exactly the same problem and was shut down after 13 episodes.

4. Robert says:

I loved the version that aired on Nickelodeon in the early 90s. I will definitely check this out.

5. Colleen says:

Yea for Peyton! Glad to see her book a pilot

6. Xandra says:

Lucy Montgomery?

7. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I’ve always thought Peyton was a good example of a woman who represents ‘the next stage of human evolution’ – a nice turn of a phrase; she’s a lovely lady. Peyton is fantastic on Mad Men as Roger’s long suffering wife (now ex-wife) Jane. I hope we see more of her on Mad Men, and I’ll look forward to seeing her on ‘Tomorrow’ if it is green-lighted. I’m not wild about the list of CW pilots, but with Peyton on board, I’ll be rooting now for ‘Tomorrow’ to become a fall series.

8. Dominique says:

I LOVE HER!! She was so good as Lucy Montgomery, and then later on Mad Men, FlashForward, etc… Glad to see she’s still going strong!

9. Hey look! It’s Lucy Lane!!! Sigh…I miss Smallville.

10. TMW says:

Lucy Montgomery was her character name on the defunct daytime soap As The World Turns.

11. I admit, when I saw they were taking John and Stephen from the original, I was quite surprised that they weren’t bringing in Elizabeth as well. Those three and Mike are probably the iconic ones from the original series.

12. Tran says:

Any info on if Peyton List is coming back for the upcoming season of Mad Men beginning April 7th on AMC?

13. dude says:

She was really good as Lucy on As the World Turns.

14. Elle says:

Didn’t they just cancel this show? It was called Alphas.

15. Chris says:

I really enjoyed the version that aired in the 90’s. I was just trying to remember the title the other day and then i saw this. It was driving me crazy.

16. Alan says:

only know her from her very brief time on smallville but i found her to be an enjoyable, enganging actor so im glad to see she is getting bigger roles