Downton Abbey Finale Recap: R.I.P. [Spoiler]

Downton Abbey Season 3 Matthew DeathIn Sunday’s Downton Abbey season finale — set a year after last week’s episode — everything’s coming up roses. Well, except for the fact that yet another Crawley ends the episode pushing up daisies. Must one of them always be contrary?

RELATED | Downton Abbey Season 4 Scoop: Meet Matthew’s ‘Replacement’!

KILL OR BE KILT | When the Crawleys visit Rose’s parents — Violet’s shrewish niece, Susan, and her husband, Shrimpy — in Scotland, the discord in their marriage is even louder than the bagpipes that signal the start of every day. At least the holiday provides Robert with an overdue reality check: Learning that Shrimpy will soon lose his estate, the Earl of Grantham at last concedes that “Downton will survive because of Matthew’s vision.” (There — was that so hard to admit? Sheesh.)

AT YOUR SERVICE | Left behind at home with Sybil 2.0, Tom falls prey to the charms of new maid Edna, who somehow manages to be alluring even though her voice brings to mind Bubble from AbFab. Naturally, Mrs. Hughes is onto the social climber at once and issues her her walking papers before a second Edith situation can develop.

RELATED | Dan Stevens: Why I Left Downton Abbey

THE MARRYING KIND | After a coupla enjoyable dates with Isobel, Dr. Clarkson pops the question… that is, he tries to. But, to save him the embarrassment of a rejection, she pretends she doesn’t understand what he’s up to. Meanwhile, Mrs. Patmore receives a proposal of her own — from new shopkeep Tufton — and is relieved to learn from Mrs. Hughes that he’s an incorrigible flirt, therefore she can turn him down.

THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE | When a soused James is mugged at a much-ballyhooed fair, Thomas rides to the rescue and takes a beating for which the twink is so grateful, he offers his friendship. Though Michael reluctantly accepts that his situation is hopeless, Lady Edith digs in her heels and informs him that their relationship is only just beginning. And finally, to wow Bates at the big dance in Scotland, Anna gets Rose to teach her how to reel. (Mission: accomplished. The look on his face for the umpteenth time redefines “besotted.”)

RELATED | Downton Abbey Spoiler: Look Who’s Returning for Season 4

BUZZKILL | After pushing herself at every turn in Scotland — primarily to be as nasty as humanly possible to Edith — Lady Mary returns home early… just in time to go into premature labor! “We’ve done our duty,” she tells Matthew afterward. Since they’ve produced a male heir, “Downton is safe.” Unfortunately, Matthew himself is anything but safe. Driving to the estate to tell tales of his offspring’s magnificence, BLAMMO! His ear-to-ear smile is wiped off by a fatal car crash.

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the season finale? Did you cry more when Matthew bought the farm or when Tom told Mrs. Hughes how much he missed Sybil? Are you glad that Rose will be coming to live with Robert and Cora? How funny was it to see Mrs. O’Brien dealing with Susan’s maid — the only person in existence with a sourer disposition? Are you hoping Alfred will get his wish and be moved into the kitchen with Mrs. Patmore? How adorable was Carson with Sybil 2.0? He damn near lost his permascowl for a second there! Sound off below!

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Martina says:

The blame for the demise of Matthew lies squarely with Dan Stevens, Julian Fellows had no other option once Stevens decided he wanted out of the series so he could take up opportunities in the US. I will never forgive the actor for bailing

• Meem says:

Oh please. It’s a job for him. His contract was up and he chose not to renew. No “blame” involved. Fellowes knew at the beginning of shooting season 3 that he was leaving. He could have recast the role, or written him off some other way. Matthew’s death is not the actor’s fault.

• Monica4185 says:

Unless you wanted Mary and Matthew relationship ruined killing Matthew was the best way. No other way. I don’t think recasting Matthew would’ve been well accepted by the public. Dan Steven’s and Michelle Dockery’s chemistry was set for their character, to bring some other actor to play Matthew would’ve ruined what was already there.

• moobear says:

This isn’t American TV, where six figured salaries per episode at 20+ episodes a year is common. The guy needs to keep things fresh and challenging so that he can keep getting work. Personally I like seeing actors on different shows, and that shows are kept on a smaller scale to make sure that they’re still making quality entertainment (I’m looking at you HIMYM).

• Heather C. says:

As an actor (regardless if the actors are making American wages per episode), this is an outstanding ensemble cast with one of the best living writers in this genre. You don’t leave a hit show to find another hit show unless it has your name on it and you’re coming to America. Whomever Dan Stevens was listening to misled him. I’m disappointed he’s gone and am shocked that a thinking human being who also is an actor would walk away from this once in a lifetime opportunity. This reminds me of Tom Cruise dancing on Oprah’s sofa showing the world that he’s a bit off. It was hard for me to watch him in anything after that because I kept thinking of him as a person who I didn’t want to know. The same is true now. Best of luck to Mr. Stevens. If these are his choices, I just wonder at his longevity in the business.

• Becky Mahard says:

This is without a doubt an outstanding ensemble cast, each one has played such a special role in making this a great series to watch with anticipation each week, I agree that Dan Stevens (Matthew) did make a mistake by leaving Downton Abbey, he was so down to earth, so loving, and so understanding, and played his part with splendor. Becky Mahard

• Nedsdag says:

Honey, he decided to leave while the iron was hot. I cannot say I blame him for this. Please don’t take this too seriously.

• Plum says:

Season 3 rehashed so many plots from Season 2, brought back that unpleasant social climbing hooker made to dither about her baby again, and why kill off two cast members minutes after their kids are born? Fellows just keeps repeating himself; this season was a downer. They even turned thieving scheming footman into a martyr with a promotion to under-butler AFTER both staff and family wanted to fire him. Yes, they want to keep the actor on the show but it could have been done in a more believable way than turning him into St. Thomas.

• Dr. J Johnson says:

For his sake he better hope he doesn’t wind up that Girl who played on Cheers . She left for like reasons and really hurt her career, she later said in retrospect it was a major mistake !!!

• I’ll never understand why actors who have the good fortune to stumble into a hit show always seem to want to leave it as quickly as possible. I would think that finding a hit show to be involved in is a goal but too many times one of the main actors of a show that’s become wildly popular decides to leave as if being in this wildly successful show that people love you in and is the reason you’re so in demand as an actor is somehow an inconvenience.

• uh huh says:

Some actors are happy to play one role forever, some are not. Many actors become actors because they want to play MANY roles. The danger of staying on a hit show forever is typecasting. Dan Stevens probably asked himself if he wanted to be Matthew Crawley–or some version of him–forever. And his answer clearly was “no.”

• They want so much to capitalize on their in demand status that they end up screwing what made them popular in the first place thus cutting short whatever momentum they had from said popularity. Couldn’t have said it better myself…well I just did but I will graciously share the credit.

• dixiedragon says:

I agree whole heartedly – we can look at the characters in hits like MASH, House MD, Charlies Angels poor awful actresses that they were they were ALWAYS “angels” – even as far back as something like Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith – how many of us STILL see Ron Howard as Opie??? and I personally think this opened a door to make some serious writing and character challenges – Mary never really wanted marriage maybe she can rise above her time and become a great business woman I personally would LOVE that…. sadly I don’t see Dan Stevens as much of a great actor and achieving much success in the US so this might have been a bad career decision for him

• Holly says:

Maybe he didn’t find the role stimulating anymore. Just because you work on a popular show doesn’t mean you necessarily find the work exciting. I admire him for making the decision that a lot of actors wouldn’t. I think it’s safe to assume that there are a lot of actors that decide to continue working on shows purely becuase of their popularity and the paycheck.

• Tinemi says:

I’m not an actor (actress) so I can’t ask your question directly. In the case of Dan Stevens he’s a guy of many trades: he’s an actor, editor, writer, producer, director. I hope he has a lot of success in all of his endeavors because his good at his work and seems to be a nice person.

• MikeyM says:

You could write a book on how many actors left TV to star in movies and it blew up in their face.
        Farrah, Caruso, Sommers. Denise Crosby…

• Tania says:

Martina, your comment has all the makings of a poorly written, poorly delivered soap opera. HA!

• emjea says:

When Larry Hagman wouldn’t negtiate his contract on Dallas, the producers lined up another actor(Robert Culp) to take over the role. Killing the character was the easy solution instead of being creative. No matter anymore though. Ill not watch this program again. I don’t need to be upset by a silly television show! Take as long as you want to deliver season 4. I don’t care anymore.

• Cherie says:

All I can say is what a shame, as I was so looking forward to watching “Matthew” raise his son & be a part of the new Downton Abbey. It’s just too bad that early fame for this young actor took him from great acclaim & a great story line to searching for good roles again. It was a beautiful love story & brought joy to many of us. I’m a bit tired of seeing the main characters so much in a hurry to leave the series for greener pastures so to speak. But that’s the way it is in today’s acting & working world. Thank God for Maggie Smith. She is the best “one-liner” in the business & always makes me laugh. I hope the series continues to be a grand period piece of historic times past. We have much to learn from this series. Looking forward to January of 2014…………geez that’s a long time from now. Thank you again.

2. shuayb says:

Seriously you call this a recap? Please read how Matt and Vlada recap shows before you do one again…

3. Meem says:

I knew about Matthew, but it was shocking all the same. But the truly sad one was between Mrs. Hughes and Tom. Truly heartbreaking. I’m sure we’ll get scenes like that regarding Matthew next seas

• Alichat says:

Thank you! I just love Mrs. Hughes so much more now after this episode! She really was the caretaker this episode. I laughed so hard at the scene between her and Mrs Patmore after the fair. But I LOVED the scene between her and Tom. That scene was more heartbreaking to me than Matthew’s death. As much as I didn’t want Sybil to pass away, that plotline has really grown the character of Tom, and I’m so glad he’s still around. Usually being spoiled doesn’t affect my emotional reaction to a scene, but maybe it did this time. Although, I really think what did it in was Mary….I just don’t feel much for her character. I can’t connect the rude character we see in just about every scene with the one Matthew would glowingly go on and on about. At least Mary did acknowledge it for that one second at the end, but after hearing her berate Edith and everything else for two hours prior, then to have her say after giving birth that she’s done her duty and now they have an heir, I just didn’t feel that heartbreak for her that I should.

Oh…and being a continuity nerd…I just have to say, why didn’t Matthew just call everyone on the phone and tell them they can come see the baby? I know…Dan was leaving…Matthew had to die…blah blah….but still, they have a phone now…it just had to be said. LOL!

• LeeAnn says:

ITA. Mary was a snobby cow the whole episode and couldn’t stop twisting the knife into her sister. Why Matthew thought she is so wonderful is a total mystery to me. She is becoming the character I love to hate, and I am tired of being told she really is nice deep down. She’s about 30 now and it’s high time she stopped acting like a spoiled child.

The best scene was the one with Tom and Mrs. Hughes. I love both of them. Want to bet Mary will take out her grief on everyone around her next season? Tom didn’t do that, and the poor guy was all alone with no family in that house.

• I was seriously crying when Mrs. Hughes was talking to Tom. I was almost crying when I saw Carson walking around the house with Sybbie. It was so adorable and it makes all the scenes with him and the girls all the more precious. When he was walking and bouncing her all I could think of was him saying about Sybil “I knew her all her life, you see” and it just cracked my heart. I really think that the “sad” scenes with Mary will be after the show comes back. It was too fast at the end of the episode to really give it that emotional choke that Sybil’s death scene had. Plus, I really hope that Alfred does get to be a cook. Isobel will let him do it.

4. Gina says:

The last episode ended so cheery. Now I am simply sick from grief. The only thing to do now is nastily tweet at Dan Stevens for making me depressed. Apparently he doesn’t know how much his decisions affect me.

• Meem says:

LOL!! Oh, I’m sure he knows. Britain has no doubt been hating on him for months. Now North America can join the party. ;-)

• Uzi says:

I saw a “Dan Stevens Ruined My Christmas” t-shirt illustrated on one blog! Apparently Julian Fellowes and the producers were willing to work around Dan’s schedule with other projects and write him out of episodes in order to keep the character of Matthew. When Dan refused there was no option but to kill Matthew…Michelle Dockery wanted to stay, and Matthew couldn’t be “away on business” for the rest of the series. The good news is that Michelle will be able to show off her acting chops in season 4, just like Allen Leech has done this season (I too loved the heartbreaking Tom/Mrs. Hughes scene).

• LeeAnn says:

The last episode Sybil was still recently dead and her husband depressed. I didn’t find it cheerful at all. This one was cheerful….up to the very end. Rather gruesome final shot for Christmas. Jeez.

• Special K says:

Ditto. I am so dissappointed in him. Does he not understand loyalty to fans? He could have considered one more season….
      I know that this may seem silly to some, but I really got wrapped up in the show. It will never be the same…

5. elizabeth says:

My favorite character…what a bummer!

6. PFitzDC says:

I think Julian Fellowes has been spot on with all characters…until now. I LOATHE Rose. I’m going to hate seeing her being a continuing character next season. Blecch.

• Plum says:

Rose is a very slapdash and annoying Sybil replacement. There was very little suspense over Rose having to stay at Downton once her folks conveniently left for Africa. Findlay-Brown and Stevens are terrific actors, they were clearly smart to bail on that sinking ship.

• Otter says:

Totally agree. How are we to believe that a character with the facial expressions and slapstick body work of Jim Carrey could dupe her family into believing her double life. Downton has been a paragon of the art of acting subtly and in we toss Rose mugging for the camera. So predictable in a 70s sitcom way. I hope they do a larger plot line for Cora who has been underused.

• LeeAnn says:

I like her but I bet she causes trouble in S4. Maybe she will get knocked up or something. Then her parents will disown her and the Crawleys will be stuck with her. I am counting on her to do something stupid.

7. Kim says:

Kimberly says AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Berly says:

THIS SUCKS! WILL NOT RETURN FOR SEASON 4!

• Kim says:

i bet you will

• CJ says:

Oh please….. Do grow up. Matthew was but one of many excellent characters on this show. If you we’re watching just because of him, then you’ve denied yourself so much of the rest of the show. In which case, yeah don’t watch anymore. Besides it is your lost, certainly not the shows,

• Marion Mammana says:

I’m with you. I can’t stand that they kill characters when they want to leave the program. Life isn’t like that and I’m don’t like being drawn into grief for a character simply because the actor wants to leave.

9. Berly says:

No, I don’t think so!

10. Sam says:

“Mrs. Hughes is onto the social climber at once and issues her her walking papers before a second Edith situation can develop.” – I’m confused. Edith? Did you mean another situation like Sybil and Branson, or did you mean Ethel perhaps? Edith never had a social climbing arc that I can recall?

11. Tran says:

What’s next for Dan Stevens post-Downton? Only time will tell. Can’t wait for Season Four in the U.S.

• uh huh says:

He just finished a highly acclaimed run in “The Heiress” with Jessica Chastain on Broadway.

• Uzi says:

It wasn’t “highly acclaimed.” It, and Dan, got mixed reviews. It did, however, make back it’s investment, thanks to the many “Downton Abbey” fans that bought tickets. How interesting that Dan didn’t mind using his DA fame to sell the play after he’d already left the series.

• Kate'shomesick says:

OH COME ON! 1. The fact that he left doesn’t mean that he doesn’t appreciate what DA did for his career 2. He contributed greatly to the success of the show!!! So he earned being recognised for his work on the show. 3. What should he have done about DA fans buying tickets to see him? Tell them not to? Deny that he was on DA?

• meem says:

It’s not his job to “sell the play.” It’s his job to act in it. And to that end, I did notice that while Jessica Chastain left the production time and time again to attend awards shows, Mr. Stevens did not, even though Downton was nominated at those same shows (Golden Globes, SAG Awards). In fact, Chastain left to attend the SAG Awards and lost, while Stevens stayed in NY with the play, and won.

12. Leslie says:

To all those Americans upset right now, just remember that the people who watched it on Christmas night had a much lousier evening than you. So there.

13. Nedsdag says:

It’ll be interesting to see if Dan Stevens becomes the next George Clooney or the next David Caruso.

• davey says:

Neither. British actors have a way of adapting themselves for various projects. Stevens is already being considered for interesting roles, he has a movie he worked with coming out in the summer and he’s a literary editor as well as a writer.

Stevens also didn’t get paid the same salaries American actors get paid for US. TV so why wouldn’t he explore other acting options.

14. Scott says:

Really enjoyed the Tom/Mrs. Hughes scene. The actor (Allen Leech?) is so so much better without Sybil, even though I loved Sybil, the two just didn’t click.

15. Jan says:

Disappointed that Dan Stevens opted to leave, but I am looking forward to seeing how the show develops from here. It will now fall to Branson to keep Matthew’s vision alive since Lord Granthem is still struggling with the changes Matthew proposed. Plus — the addition of Rose should liven things up for everybody. Can’t wait for Season 4!

• Jenks says:

I agree. I may be in the minority (at least among commenters), but I never found Lady Mary and Matthew to be anything be two cold fish. She is nasty — often to him — and he was pretty, but dull. I didn’t feel any chemistry between them. It will be interesting to see how her character develops once she is on her own. Will she become an even more entitled lady of the manor, or will she pick up the reins of running the estate alongside Branson? Matthew’s demise was clunky and seemed designed more for shock value than dramatic value, but I’m willing to see where Fellowes goes with it in Season 4.

16. Tran says:

So sad for Jessica Brown-Findlay & Dan Stevens now goners on Downton Abbey. An emotional sendoff for the both of them. I’m not sure yet if I’ll be tuning in for Season Four in the U.S. but only time will tell. :-(

17. uh huh says:

How disappointing was this episode? Let me count the ways.
    1. One year later??!??!? What?? What about the plotlines that we just disappeared during that year, like the offer to Daisy to take over the farm?
    2. The show is called DOWNTON ABBEY. Clearly Fellowes wanted to take us on a tour of another great manor house, but who wanted to go to Scotland? Not me.
    3. ROSE In Downton?? Gag me. A blatant attempt to replace the lost “Sybil energy.” Problem is, Rose is thoroughly loathesome. I don’t want to watch her.
    4. This turning Thomas into a decent fellow crap is just crap. The convoluted manner in which he was kept last episode was bad enough, but now he’s the hero? He|| no.
    5. Oh, look. Edith is going for a guy she doesn’t really want JUST because she was told it was a bad idea. Again. I get that the poor girl gets the short end all the time, but we’ve been there, done that. Again. And in this case everyone’s right. It might suck to be poor editor dude, but HE IS MARRIED.
    6. Did we REALLY need 90 minutes of Mary being a pill again, just because she can? Boring.
    7. NOT MATTHEW!!!!!!!!

• LeeAnn says:

Expect a lot more of Mary being a pill next season. And some man falling in love with her despite it, and telling her how lovely a person she really is (No, really, people, she is. Because Fellowes says so. Ignore that woman being a shrew to her husband and sister).

• LeeAnn says:

Also, I didn’t think Rose was so bad this episode. At least she is fun, unlike Mary and Edith.

18. Patrick *G3LSY* says:

This is one FABULOUS & AMAZING SHOW
    I can say nothing bad about it, or maybe it would be nice to have afew more episodes in a season….

19. MeLisa says:

Fell in love with DA the first episode I watched. I do love throwing an English accent from time to time. Don’t we all? It’s interesting to watch all the employee drama. At first they appear too proper to involve themselves in gossip and drama, but that’s life. People are people. Gossip, drama, betrayal, that’s the guts of life I guess. At first I was very disappointed with the last scene of the finale, but finding out Dan wants to move on makes it all better. Hey, we’ve all been in his position at least once or twice in life. Tired of a job, wanting to move on to greener pastures. Once it’s in your head, there’s no turning back. Good luck to him. He did his part! I’m just so glad Julian didn’t make it a bad marriage break-up thing, that would have royally pissed me off. It’s perfect this way. I can’t wait for season 4!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Astrid says:

I loved this episode! I’m sad that Matthew dies, but it doesn’t ruin the series for me ;)
    I can’t wait for season 4.

21. CA says:

I always love to read to overreactions to an actor’s departure from a show. Seriously folks, Downton Abbey will go on just fine without Dan Stevens and the character of Matthew. As for “hating” Dan Stevens for making a personal choice about his career….shame on all of you. Who are you to question his career choice and why do you think he owes anyone an explaintion for the reasons? Only he will find out if his decsion was the right one for him.

As for what comes next in Season 4 — I will be one of many who will contine to tune in and watcing the happenings of those who reside at Downton Abbey becuase I contine to find it one of the best written and best acted shows on TV.

22. exBFF says:

the “twink?” seriously?

23. Carol says:

Cried more with Tom – probably will cry over Matthew when everyone learns of his death – unless Season 4 picks up one year later – lol

24. Brittaney says:

I love how snobbish Carson can be, but then to see that scene with him and the baby just melted my heart. I’ve also loved how Mrs Hughes has developed a little sass this season. I’ve never been a fan of Thomas, but at the same time they’ve done a good job making him both despicable and yet I feel sorry for him at times too. I think maybe Thomas is realizing how his behavior has caused everyone to dislike him. In earlier episodes he has stated how no one has ever been kind to him and also how Sybil was one of the few to show him kindness. Perhaps he is turning over a new leaf and finally realizing that if he wants a friend he must first be a friend. I’m curious to see where they take his character next season. Finally, I love how the writers have redeemed Branson. I could not stand him as a character or his character with Sybil. He seemed so selfish with her. He has grown into a likeable and interesting person without her.

25. Lauren says:

SO DEPRESSING. Cannot get the image of Matthew’s dead face lying under the car out of my head.

26. LaurenMC says:

So much death. I think they could have kept Sybil alive – they could have easily had her and Branson move to Ireland. They could have had the rest of the family mention them from time to time, or have them go for visits. At least we’d know Sybil and her family were safe and happy. No reason for her to be dead at 24. So depressing. Matthew, on the other hand, unfortunately had to be killed. After 3 seasons of building his relationship with Mary, it would have been even worse to have them break up and him move away randomly. Thanks for that, Dan Stevens.

27. Norma says:

In Season 4, does anyone else predict a return of the ghastly disfigured and ‘possibly Patrick’ from Canada, character?? His exit was so untimely.Perhaps they have fantastic plastic surgery there? FINALLY, Edith will discover her true love with the REAL heir to Downton! Her third attempt will be the charm. Mary and Matthew’s son only second in line? Oh, my, Edith’s payback to Mary for all her sharp-tongued snarky comments!

28. Magically Suspicious says:

Sybil’s death was far more tearful for me. I cried like a baby. Probably because I was spoiled and knew to expect Matthew’s death. Matthew and Mary were far less interesting this season for me. I found myself far more entranced with Branson and Edith, and even Thomas. I wonder if Julian Fellowes intentionally made them less central this season so that the sting would be lessened when he was killed off.

29. John says:

I can only hope that Rose can be reined in by the Granthams. At least in this episode, we got to see what a crappy family life she had at home. Her mother was just miserable. Shrimpy was an ideal name for her father. Was he henpecked, or what? Maybe Rose will be redeemed and mature a little with Cora’s guidance. I do dread the idea of a Rose/Branson pairing though.

30. Sarah says:

I’m one of the UK viewers who went to bed really annoyed on Christmas Day! I want one of those ‘Dan Stevens Ruined my Christmas t shirts! Not a nice feeling after a lovely Christmas day.

31. Paige says:

I knew that Matthew was going to bite the big one months ago. As sad as it is, I think that it will make Season 4 better. Julian Fellows said in an interview that watching happily married couples is boring. I agree to a point. They should be happy but have conflict to contrast the happiness. Since Sybil died, tragically, it opened so much in terms of storylines for Branson. His character really grew by the end and stopped being so selfish and militant. The scene with him and Mrs. Hughes was heartbreaking. I am curious what they have in store for him next season. Mary is an aristocrat at heart. She’s not cold so much as reserved. I wonder how she will deal with Matthew’s death. Will she still be grieving 6 months later or will she move on quickly.

32. Leigh says:

Am I the only one who (being terribly spoiled about Dan Stevens’ decision – thanks, Interwebs) spent most of this season feeling they’re setting up a future of Mary…and Tom?

33. Vivian James says:

Personally I don’t think Dan Stevens is so good looking or even a very good actor. I doubt very much if he will have much of a career. Downton Abbey was a goog gig for him. Apparently he didn’t think so. We will just have to wait and see.

34. Beth says:

Rose = Cousin Oliver. Watch out Downton Abbey…

35. Morisot says:

I think people are being too harsh about Mary. Sure, Mary is not all warm and fuzzy and puppy-dog — she is reserved and blunt.

Please, no Tom and Mary pairing!

I rather liked Rose in this episode.

36. marim says:

For me, it was heartbreaking watching Sybil’s family watching her die, and watching the very real grief portrayed by Tom in that excellent scene with Mrs. Hughes. The audience had a chance to grieve with the characters and remember that many young mothers met a similar fate not so long ago. Matthew’s death seems more shocking because it was so sudden, so unexpected, and we are left to grieve on our own, which seems even more harsh and unrealistic if it is true that season 4 will begin six months later when presumably everyone has moved on. I feel worse for Matthew’s loss than I did following the season 4 finale of Dexter, and with the upcoming final season and his certain demise, we know, or think we know, that there are no happy endings for serial killers. We hoped for more for Matthew and Mary.

37. carmetta says:

I hope in the future Dan Stevens will be written back into DA, if he decides to come back to DA. There are many ways to do this, the soap operas in US does this all the time. It can
    be interesting and can make a good storyline.

38. luli303 says:

Not many people get the chance to give something beautiful and moving to so many people in the world. Matthew and Mary were a beautiful thing and I loved the emotions, story, and art that was created by their story on Downton Abbey. I wish Dan Stevens had stayed. I wish he had respected the fans and the story in which we were all invested. There was more beauty to come, I feel, but I understand that he needed to stay true to himself and the direction of his life. I’ll watch him again in other things if I get the chance because he did bring so much enjoyment as Matthew Crawley. Best wishes, Dan Stevens, and may Downton Abbey rise from the ashes of your bloody corpse as Matthew Crawley rose from the wheelchair!! :)

• Special K says:

Nicely stated. I so want to take the high road like you, but I am spoilt.
      With that said, I agree with you whole heartedly and wish Mr Stevens the best!