Christoph Waltz Hosts Saturday Night Live: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

Get More: Late Night TV, Recaps

christoph-waltz-snl-hostOscar winner Christoph Waltz’s opening monologue on this week’s Saturday Night Live turned out to be all too prescient. “I’ve wanted to host for a long time, but they always said to me, ‘Why you? You don’t have a sense of humor. You’re a serious German actor.’”

Okay, so the star of Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds is actually Austrian. But unfortunately, those digs about his comedic abilities seemed to be mostly on target. Waltz brought pretty much the same energy level and delivery to characters as far-flung as a game-show host, a party guest and a lovelorn security guard. No, the writing in many cases wasn’t stellar, but the episode certainly could’ve used a more skilled captain to steer the ship toward laughter.

Below, check out my picks for the weeks’ best and worst sketches:

BEST: Russian Woman on Weekend Update
Kate McKinnon’s been a little underutilized in recent weeks, but her Weekend Update bit as Olya Povlatsky should serve as a reminder to Lorne Michaels that she shouldn’t be stuck warming the bench. That old legend about the little girl who works hard without complaint being struck by a meteor, turned to dust and eaten by a goat — “and it was there in the goat’s belly that the girl was finally warm” — was the first of many punch lines that struck with the force of a shooting star from space. Excellent stuff.

BEST: Regine
Fred Armisen’s acerbic girlfriend with the runaway superiority complex and the way-too-sensitive body returned for more hijinks. A rock-solid bit from the moment Regine responded to a “nice to meet you” by snapping, “Based on what? You don’t even know what I’m like!”

HONORABLE MENTION: Carnival Cruise Debacle
Cecily Strong and Jason Sudeikis kicked the week off as desperate cruise directors watching the ship’s various entertainers fall to pieces. Kenan Thompson scored some big laughs with his offstage shout-outs (“There is no God!”) but best of all was Bobby Moynihan as Dan the Animal Man and his ill-fated monkey Coco.

WORST: What Have You Become?
Anyone else feel like SNL relies way too often on half-baked game-show setups? This sketch about a competition with an existential twist suffered from faulty execution (Waltz’s host never announcing the name of the show, but various chyrons and logos splashing it across the screen) and an ending that found Waltz unleashing his inner nutjob to totally clichéd effect.

WORST: Opening Monologue
McKinnon and Moynihan were admittedly pretty funny with a goofy “Who’s on wurst?” aside, but the centerpiece of the intro — a musical number called “Smile, Damn You, Smile” — contained not a single solitary laugh. File this one under Rated W…for Why?

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Waltz as host? What did you think were the best and worst sketches? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (51)

• Worst episode I’ve seen of the show…not that the recent shows are much to compare to….

Comment by Adam – February 17, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kind of didn’t like the show at all but the Russian woman on Weekend Update and Carnival Cruise Debacle sketch were hits IMHO. And I can see Pat ‘I can’t take a joke about Christianity’ Robertson complaining about DeJesus Unchained sketch in the next few days.

Comment by Steve Mindyknowski – February 17, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t get past Kate McKinnon’s inability to look away from the cue cards during the first half Russian woman thing. And I don’t know what they expected from Waltz. He is fairly funny on talk shows, but his performances in films run the gamut from great to atrocious (Water for Elephants, anyone??).

Comment by KevyB – February 19, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • one of my favorite episodes since bruno mars’ and jennifer lawrence’s. but i’ve been living in a german speaking country for the last 10 years, so i got some inside references…
    wasn’t a big fan of waltz before, but now am. :D

Comment by marschie – February 17, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate McKinnon continues to be one of my faves on SNL this season but last night was DOA. Can’t wait until March 2nd when Kevin Hart will try his best to bring the laughter back to Saturday Night Live. That’s the way it goes.

Comment by Tran – February 17, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • BTW, last night was not DOA, it was an OK episode in my opinion and for that I apologize.

Comment by Tran – February 17, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You guys are hard to please. Best episode of the season.

Djesus Unchained and Papal Securities were inspired and nary a mention? And Waltz brought 10000% to each sketch unlike other hosts.

Comment by Joe – February 17, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree it was one of the best. To each their own, I guess.

Comment by Kellie – February 17, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agreed too. I didn’t fall asleep during this one. Christophe Waltz was pretty much game for anything and was funny, in my opinion.

Comment by Jake – February 17, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those were the best, in my opinion. In fact, I think I really laughed harder at Papal Securities than I actually meant to!

Honorable mentions to the Russian woman and the opener. Maybe I get his sense of humor because I’m German/Dutch? (And part Irish/English, too.)

Comment by Daya – February 17, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely not one of the best episodes. I loved the DeJesus sketch thought that one was hilarious but other than that they all were kinda dull. Hopefully the next ones better!

Comment by AJ – February 17, 2013 07:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, how could you not mention Jesus UnCrossed? That was brilliant. :D

And, IMHO, the only genuinely funny part of the show. With the exception of Kate McKinnon’s Russian woman and Fred Armisen’s Regine.

Comment by Marin Kuharić (@Prkan_708) – February 17, 2013 07:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I assumed the writing would let Christoph down and I was right. He did everything he could, but the skits weren’t great. Best bits were the pope commercial and Django Uncrossed.

Comment by Froggy – February 17, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I fell asleep…

Comment by jared – February 17, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, to be fair, the actually funny part of the opening monologue was in German, since the German title of the song he gave translates roughly to “Laugh, when the personel tells you to” – kind of meta-humour we rarely get at SNL, no? Definately made me laugh;)

Comment by Ewa – February 17, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The ones I saw I thought were funny. To me it seemed the Game Show title voice over didn’t come through, not that he was supposed to say it.

Comment by sunfire04 – February 17, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the Jesus UnCrossed bit and the Pope retirement fund commercial. They were both awesome.

Comment by Fan – February 17, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed that the monologue wasn’t great but I thought Casual Hitler was hilarious!

Comment by Brigitte – February 17, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Djesus Uncrossed was the best (only really good) part of the show, but the rest was “meh”. I didn’t hate it, but I can’t say I actually enjoyed it.

Comment by TV Gord – February 17, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You are always opposite of The Huffington Post, which said it was the best show of the season! That said, I think you were in a bad mood when you watched this. It was a consistently funny and well-written show. DJesus and the Papal Retirement fund both dared to send up sacred cows and Killam’s Marco Rubio had me laughing out loud. As a watcher since the original episode, this episode was more like the original SNL than any other. Didn’t like the monologue though, sick of the musical numbers.

Comment by Morninglorri – February 17, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Huffington Post is nuts, then. With this season’s standout shows–Seth MacFarlane, Martin Short, Bruno Mars, Louis CK–I can’t believe anyone would actually call last night’s show the best of the season. They’re probably only saying that to get more people to post on their site.

Comment by TV Gord – February 17, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Louis CK was a great host but had terrible material (sans Lincoln), and how is it different that calling this a terrible one not to get more people to post on this site?

AV Club also gave Waltz an A-. To each his own, for sure.

Comment by Joe – February 17, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is SNL still on the air and MadTV cancelled? SNL can’t seem to understand their skits are too long, cue cards are distractingly horrible and not all celebrities are funny.

Comment by Bobby Milford – February 17, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss Stuart. “Look what I can do!” And Bobby Lee. And Nicole Parker. They had the art of the short sketch down.

Comment by Buffy0531 – February 17, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SNL just doesn’t have the equally strong male female quotient as it did in it’s very beginning season. That’s been its downfall and struggle as well as the writing ever since.

Comment by dani – February 17, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was so eager to watch w/Christoph hosting & The Alabama Shakes…I just didn’t have the patience to sit through numerous duds to get to a minimally good one. I ended up watching a bit of Alabama Shakes on Austin City Limits and most of the Beyonce documentary on HBO

Comment by dani – February 17, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry I cringed through the whole Regine skit. I just hate it. It’s not funny! You are right about McKinnon she is grossly under used. Make her a regular already! The Russian character reminded me of a older Russian lady who was trying to get in to grad school at my university (only slightly ridiculous). And I know the skit about the singing brothers was only half baked but Waltz was delightfully goofy in it, you cant say you didn’t laugh at the last song with him and Keenan where he was hooping like a fool agreeing to each sex act.

This episode was still not a great episode. I can’t compair it to last we’re cuz I just can’t watch Bieber but I. Laughed more than I have in previous episode. And weekend update wasn’t phoned in so that’s a victory

Comment by Toia – February 17, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched the Regine and Weekend Update sketches. Seeing as they were voted the best and they were not very good in my opinion I will just be hitting delete on my DVR. Thanks for saving me the hour!

Comment by Leigh – February 17, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You should go to the Huffington Post then, they hated Regine also. I agree with their picks more, anyway.

Comment by Morninglorri – February 17, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t disagree more. Christoph Waltz has an amazing comedic timing — just watch his sketches on Jimmy Kimmel. It is once again an issue of a good host and bad material. The Carnival Cruise and Regine sketches were quite awful.. I’m surprised there was no mention of the Pope sketch, or Djesus Uncrossed.

I do think, though, that SNL should rely more on hosts who have enough experience with live audience. Clearly some of the best shows in the past year or so were the ones hosted by Maya Rudolph, Jimmy Fallon, Melissa McCarthy and Martin Short. Perhaps SNL should dial down on big movie stars, and focus more on actual comedians.

Comment by DanK – February 17, 2013 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kate McKinnon remains the only reason I continue to watch SNL.

Comment by Mike – February 17, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this week was actually good. the last crop of hosts jennifer lawrence, Adam Levine, justin bieber, and even back to jamie foxx have flopped because of the bad writing. I thought christoph was a capable host.

too bad this good episode is shortlved because Kevin hart will be hosting an hour and a half of “funny” SNL short jokes.

Comment by Alex – February 17, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I such as the precious facts you furnish in the article content.I will bookmark your weblog and take a look at once more below consistently.I am extremely certain I will be taught plenty of new stuff suitable below! Really good luck for the up coming!

Comment by this is a test message – February 17, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • done. totally done with SNL. I’ve been loyal for over 30 years…and I just can’t take it anymore.

Comment by Tina – February 17, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could anyone like the Regine skit???

Comment by KND – February 17, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was one of the stronger episodes of the season, but we shouldn’t expect a Girls fan site like tvline to know anything about comedy.

Comment by Jamie – February 17, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was a pretty good episode. Not necessarily a stand-out, but at least Christoph Waltz is a worthy host. He is infinitely more entertaining and charming than someone like Justin Beiber.

Comment by Carrie – February 17, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was so disappointed…SNL clearly did not make the most of this man’s talent. Did they not see the Der Humpink sketch he did for Jimmy Kimmel a few years ago, or the American Idol spoof, or the one from the other night featuring him as a master seducer? He’s a funny guy and SNL just sidelined him in many sketches with no imagination whatsoever. I did think the Pope commercial was funny; the Regine sketch was a close second but even in that, Fred A. was definitely the star.

Comment by Pam – February 17, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be renamed “Wednesday Morning Dead”

Comment by cuius – February 17, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Strongly disagree with this. Christoph was delightful and Regine is absolutely unbearable.

Comment by Albert J. Pickles – February 17, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Umm… Hello? “Djesus Unchained” anyone? C’mon! That was hysterical. “Jesus H Christ” … “The H is silent.” LOLOLOLOL

Comment by Allen (@StillCrazy808) – February 17, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re: What Have You Become sketch – Waltz never announced the name because it was supposed to be shouted when the title graphic was overlaid, but the producers screwed up and only the “ome” in “Become” was heard.

Comment by critter42 – February 17, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Happy Happy Joy Joy Cruise and Tippy skits were pretty good. The opening monologue was pretty good until the last third when he started singing which was okish, they should have had him do the tralalala song. FOX&Friends was OK. The Putin origin story would be pretty funny…. if it were not actually true.

Hah but Kate McKinnon’s Russian girl was just perfection, hahaha, that was the best skit in a LONNNNNG time.

They need to user her more! before she eat by bear and too happy for good comedic.

(by her is meant Kate’s milkshake, very good. But yes too also more Russian girl with wolves heads in the window and best case cold gust. Don’t let bear eat Kate, very bad. Very bad. Unless goats yelling like humans, very funny and no need for cast.)

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 18, 2013 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wasn’t all that crazy about Regine.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 18, 2013 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone explain how the Regine sketch is funny. It is a typical overlong SNL sketch trying to be as gross as possible in order to be outrageous. outrageous for outrageous’ sake is lazy comic writing.

Comment by Wendy – February 18, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see more of Kate McKinnon! She’s wonderful!
    Christoph Waltz was professional as always, but I’m not sure that the material suited him. Having said that, Papal Securities was pretty funny, and Djesus Uncrossed was HILARIOUS!

Comment by Sarabi – February 18, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the first time in a long time, I turned it off after Update. What I’d like to know is who did the announcing. It was definitely not Don Pardo. Sounded like former castmember Darrell Hammond who is supposed to do a pretty good impression of Pardo but sounded like he was doing himself.

Comment by WMC – February 18, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a fellow Austrian I found the monologue hilarious, because it was more true than some people might think ^^
    And Djesus Uncrossed and Papal Securities were simply brilliant! Still don’t understand it why people like Regine. The sketch was boring the first time and still is.

Comment by S. from E. now – February 19, 2013 01:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post