Pilot Scoop: Kyle Chandler Tees Up TV Return as Star of Showtime's The Vatican

Get More: Casting News, Pilots

The Vatican Kyle Chandler Showtime PilotClear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose with Kyle Chandler as your headliner.

That’s no doubt the feeling among Showtime execs, who just lured the Friday Night Lights superstar back to the small screen with a starring role in the drama pilot The Vatican.

The project, directed by Ridley Scott and penned by Paul Attanasio (House), promises a provocative contemporary genre thriller about spirituality, power and politics – set against the modern-day political machinations within the Catholic church.

PHOTOS | 25 TV Couples We Miss This Valentine’s Day

Chandler will play Cardinal Thomas Duffy, the charismatic yet enigmatic Archbishop of New York whose progressive leanings excite some and alarm others within the hierarchy of the Church.

Additionally, Matthew Goode (A Single Man) and Sebastian Koch (A Good Day to Die Hard) have joined the cast as Papal Secretary Bernd Koch and Cardinal Marco Malerba, respectively.

PHOTOS | 25 Actors We Want Back on TV Right Now

Since FNL ended two years ago, Chandler — easily pilot season’s biggest male get — has resisted a return to the small screen, opting instead to take meaty supporting roles in film such as Argo, Zero Dark Thirty and Super 8.

“Kyle Chandler is one of the most talented and sought-after actors working today,” said Showtime president David Nevins, who served as an EP on FNL“With Kyle, Matthew Goode and Sebastian Koch, Ridley and Paul have put together a powerhouse cast to anchor this incredibly timely show.”

Comments (23)

• This cast is amazing! Love Kyle Chandler!

Comment by Gy.Zs. (@zuzoka) – February 15, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! I’m going to go to Hell…there will be thoughts…

Comment by Cher – February 15, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How timely is this though? Right after the pope’s resignation we get a show about the Vatican.

Comment by Joe – February 15, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I am going to have to get Showtime!

Comment by tvgeekcw – February 15, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too!

Comment by Lorie – February 15, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have cruised internet sites and watched HOMELAND. But this…Kyle…is different. I think I’m going to have to pay to get SHOWTIME too. He’s just too wonderful to miss! Love, love, love him!

Comment by Broadwayfan – February 15, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Words cannot express how excited I am now about this show. Love Kyle Chandler so much.

Comment by Kelly – February 15, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds awesome! I love to see Kyle Chandler back on TV – even though I did enjoy his appearances in Zero Dark Thirty and Argo a lot! More Kyle Chandler, I say!

Comment by Anna – February 15, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. YES. OH MY F***ING GOD, YES.

Not only is Coach finally returning to television, but he’s doing it on a cable show? It’s a goddamn dream come true. This one just vaulted up my interest list.

Comment by Superhero – February 15, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Matthew Goode AND Kyle Chandler?! Count me in!

Comment by MD – February 15, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too love Kyle Chandler and am very excited to see this new show….Love all his work..

Comment by Linda – February 15, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds really boring

Comment by Patricia – February 15, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Uhhh…what are the odds of some sex scenes? Because if it’s cable, and it’s Kyle. I’m gonna need to see some sex.

Comment by D'oh – February 15, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s Showtime. There’s a pretty good chance there’s gonna be some sex.

Comment by Superhero – February 15, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This despite the fact that most of the characters are supposed to be celibate priests. But this is television. So, of course the priests are going to be doing all sorts of un-priestly things, either because they’re bad priests or because they’re speaking truth to power.

Comment by Dreamrose – February 15, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t think it’s legal to show the kind of sex scene a story about Catholic officials would necessitate.

Comment by CJ – February 15, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love me a good sex scene, but one with Coach Taylor… it feels like finding your parents sex tape

Comment by wi – February 15, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KYLE CHANDLER!! I love and missed him ever since FNL ended. The premise does sound rather boring though, I’m not really into any Borgia/Downton Abbey kind of show. Nonetheless I’ll probably watching every single episode with clear eyes and full hearts.

Comment by jimbo – February 15, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. I think Kyle Chandler is a great actor. Now I have to subscribe to Showtime.

Comment by Eliza – February 15, 2013 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s an awful lot of man candy for a show about priests.

Comment by lariet50 – February 15, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This and showtime will be boycotted by catholics worldwide if they “go there”.

Comment by Dr.Comic – February 15, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What else is new? Showtime actually stopped repeating Penn and Teller’s Vatican episode after the massive amounts of complaints it generated ((and I had to rephrase this post, since one I wrote with explicit wording of the name of the show would not show))

Comment by wi – February 16, 2013 10:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post