ABC's Zero Hour: Will You Be Continuing With Ze Search for Ze Clockkkks?

ADDISON TIMLIN, ANTHONY EDWARDS, SCOTT MICHAEL FOSTERWell that was a whole lotta something.

Zero Hour descended upon us this Thursday as ABC premiered its drama about a magazine publisher roped into a very old conspiracy involving Rosicrucians, Nazis, milky eyed babies and treasure maps.

ER‘s Anthony Edwards stars as Hank Galliston, a champion for truth and transparency as the owner of Modern Skeptic Magazine. His life is extremely mild-mannered until wife Laila (Jacinda Barrett) picks up at a flea market one of a dozen clocks assembled during WWII and gifted to a new generation of apostles — as in the apostles. My namesake Matthew, Mark, Luke…. Even Bartholomew. And he seldom gets press.

The mission of the Apostles 2.0, as ultimately explained by one of the aged clockmakers — in a wonderfully colorful voice thick with immediacy — to Hank’s two young staffers: To scatter to all corners of the globe and safeguard a centuries-old secret that could pit religion against religion, country against country, “destroy the world” and, just maybe, finds dogs and cats living together.

After his wife is abducted, Hank follows a lead, embedded within a diamond hidden inside New Bartholomew’s clock, to a far-off stretch of frozen tundra. ZeroHourBabyThere, he finds a long-submerged Nazi vessel populated by a long-frozen crew… including his own doppelgänger.

There was also a super-freaky Nazi-manufactured baby that looked like this during the war but grew up to be (or sire?) “White Vincent” (Michael Nyqvist) aka the terrorist who took Laila and was last seen traversing the arctic about to intercept Hank, who is freshly shell-shocked by the discovery of his frozen “self.”

If I mangled any of the details above… well, you cannot blame me. But you get the gist. Now, tell us what you thought of Zero Hour.

1. jess k says:

I have no idea what I just watched.

2. martina says:

This was the best worst pilot I’ve ever seen!

3. Jules says:

Yes I will continue, even with that frightening baby.

4. Ritch says:

I liked it, but everything happened too fast don’t you think? “let’s go to alaska” “let’s go to germany” but still, i think the idea is good, and it could improve a lot. I’ll keep watching.

5. cavcurt says:

Complicated and not very convincing. Little things like the police being completely oblivious, the magazine launching a full investigation later that day, government giving out top secret info to some writer guy. … This is within the first 10 minutes.

6. Andy says:

May not have been the best, but I can’t help but feeling it’s sure to be better than the movies based off off Dan Brown’s books. (Not that doing so would be that much of a challenge)

7. JBC says:

Bad Pilot. Not worth watching another episode.

8. N says:

I liked the pilot!

9. David4 says:

I hope all these bad reviews means that the show will be canceled quickly. If I saw one more damn commercial I was going to break my TV.

10. Tarc says:

Yup, it was a whole lot of stuff… some of it really cool, some really interesting, and some pretty absurd. It was definitely exciting and worth six episodes to see if it flies or falls.

11. James says:

I liked it. I love stuff like this, maybe its the historian in me, but as good as it was, i found some problems with the script. it was hokie in parts and a little too neat for my taste. of course he knows a priest that speaks ancient extinct languages. with that said the concept is very intriguing and will definitly continue to watch it.

12. I’m really hoping this show makes it. I’ve been hooked since the trailer.

13. Cody says:

I liked it too. Hope the ratings hold, but it’s in a tough time slot…Sure there were some farfetched points but probably just for the pilot to get into the story, any slower and we wouldn’t have gotten to know what the show is about in the first episode.

14. Linda says:

Hard to believe anyone thought this was above average or awesome. I usually love this kind of stuff but this just sucked. Won’t be watching it again.

15. Morisot says:

Liked the cast, except for the wife. Think it can be a good mini-series. (So much is on that one has to suspend one’s disbelief to watch ….. and at least it’s not set in a prison.)

16. kevin says:

I know it’s a show’s responsibility to hook its audience in the premiere, but this is a highly serialised show, you should give it at least two more chance before quitting.

17. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Any over-under on the bet for what the ratings will be on ZH when the numbers come out tomorrow? I think anything in the 6-7m viewers and 2.8/2.9 demo will be a sigh of relief for ABC.

If it gets anything below a 2.0 in the demo, it may be over. I hope the show does well – what else does ABC have left on the shelf for this time slot? Wipe Out? Maybe the Thursday edition of the Happy Endings farewell tour?

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Friday morning – I just saw the Zero Hour number – 6.3m viewer, 1.3 in the demo. The viewership number is actually ‘okay’ – close to what I thought it would be. But the 18-49 demo number – ouch. Young people not tuning in – bad news.

• Ing says:

Which isn’t entirely fair, considering it premiered on Valentine’s Day, a day when many younger people DON’T watch TV. They go out to dinner, spend it with family or loved ones…not in front of the TV. It will be interesting to see if the ratings go up at all…

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Yep, I agree – good point. The demos across the board last night were a bit soft – younger audience out on Valentines evening. Perfectly understandable. Next week’s numbers on ZH will be crucial, and it may be worth watching to see if the DVR+ and DVR+3 ratings help to boost these Thursday night shows ratings as folks watch ZH and others from last night via DVR/PVR later this week.

18. james says:

Goofy pilot. Will still watch one or two more episodes to see how the conspiracy plays out.

19. lame says:

Pilots are supposed to lay the framework for the series, Zero Hour, tossed up a lot of smoke and not much else.

20. Matt Smith says:

Awful clichéd peace of crap. That one phrase about deadline in the beginning just kills it. National treasure rip-off without classic Nic Cage action is even crappier than it can be.

21. MaryAnn says:

I will watch for now, but I found “Do No Harm,” in spite of all its problems and inconsistences, more compelling.

22. Rosicrucian says:

Well, it certainly wasn’t ‘The Following’ or ‘Do No Harm’, which were huge steaming piles of cr@p. I can suspend disbelief and accept the whole DaVinci code-esque historical religious dialogue, but the continuity was weak and the facts are derived. A frozen submarine hasn’t been crushed by the arctic ice flow in 50 years? The documents inside were still dry after being “blown off” with one breath? The priest reads a dead language over 1000’s of years old? The German clock maker is surprisingly fluent in English and reveals the whole “secret” history to a couple of hipsters? The list goes on. We’ll see how it does over the next couple of episodes. It has huge camp value, which sucks, or it could go very ‘Millenium’ and be quite compelling. The challenge is to the writer’s, do your best.

• S. from E. now says:

Oh, you would be surprised how many Europeans (and especially people from the German speaking area and Scandinavia) are fluent in English! (;

• someone from Germany says:

People are more fluent now, yes, but the elderly are usually NOT fluent in english.
        Especially since they didn’t have things like the internet or other means to practice their school english when they were younger. Often english wasn’t even taught in schools…

• Alienate says:

Actually, to me it falls into exactly the same barrel of crap as the following and do no harm.
      best new show recently: The Americans

23. Elyse says:

i liked the pilot and i’ll keep watching. hopefully it slows down a little. the pilot at times was a little too much.

24. Ann says:

I think I liked this conspiracy theory, globe travelling adventure show better when it was called The Event. And Jason Ritter was the man looking for his kidnapped Laila…

25. Renee says:

Crap! I forgot to DVR so I’ll have to watch online.

26. S. from E. now says:

Oh I loved it sooooo much that the “good” german characters were speaking in English with each other, but that the Nazis were talking in German (to be fair it was just for once decent German, which makes me happy considering my mother tongue gets butchered on TV quite often). No prejudice at all (; Sometimes they had a weird German accent while speaking English. Seriously, just stick to one language o.O

27. Bob says:

Did Dan Brown ghost write the pilot?

28. TVDIVA says:

I watched the pilot on ITUNES a few weeks ago and actually bought a season pass because I really enjoy watching Anthony Edwards in anything. I decided to just suspend all belief, and just pretend I am on a treasure hunt with Edwards for twelve clocks that are the key to some end of days scenario. It is mindless entertainment and not meant to be taken seriously. And it looks PG rated, so people can watch with families. So I am in until the end of the season 1 ten episodes.

29. Joe says:

Going to see how the ratings are before I continue , still smarting from the last resort

30. JHowell says:

Luke wasn’t an apostle.

31. Shadow says:

If that baby grew up to be White Vincent, he’d be 74. The WV who kidnapped Hank’s wife clearly is not that old. Either genetically altered natzi babies don’t age like normal humans, or WV isn’t the same baby. Also, Anthony Edwards looks frail and ill, much like he did in his final season as Dr. Green on ER. He has to carry this show, because the plot revolves around him (what’s up with his dead frozen “doppleganger” in the natzi sub??) and his 2 sidekicks look to be easily replaceable. Still, need to see a few more episodes to see where this goes.

• Len says:

The looking younger could have to do with the experiments we were told at the end by the clockmaker that the nazis had done on eternal life. I got the impression they had only started experiments and had a long way to go. That could explain the baby aging slower and beng Vincent now.

I wouldn’t say thhe pilot was excellent, but I’m really confused over all the comments it was complicated. Seemed fairly straight forward to me.

32. Becka says:

For some reason this show reminds me a lot of Alias only without the bada**ry of Sydney!

33. I liked the pilot decently enough. I too felt they rushed it, but I’m guessing because if they draw it out to maybe 3 episodes people get frustrated (because god forbid TV makes them think) I should confess though that I’d watch just about anything Anthony Edwards is in at this point. Dude belongs on TV.. whether or not this is the right vehicle I don’t know. I’ll be curious to see what the Live +3 and +7 ratings are with both Val Day and Idol going on at the same time.

34. kirads09 says:

Overall, I really enjoyed it. Mainly cuz Anthony Edwards. I do agree they may be trying to have way too much going on all at once plot wise. Sadly, I don’t give it much of a chance these days. People seem to want to be spoonfed reality crap and not have to think through a complex thriller. I seem to be a jinx – I like a show, get into it and it gets sacked. I will tune in for this as long as it is allowed to air. Trying not to get over emotionally invested.

35. DMAC says:

Epic Fail. Bad acting, bad plot. Completely unbelievable. I am struggling to actually finish watching this. A guy who runs a magazine thinks he is better equipped to handle a hostage situation than the FBI. Right. The FBI shares all of it’s intel with this guy. Right. It is almost like they tried to take the DaVinci Code, Raiders of the Lost Ark, National Treasure, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and mashed it together into a really lame unbelievable story. This won’t last long. Might beat Do No Harm, but that is about it. Too bad, with all the teaser commercials for the past month, I was hoping this would be a good midseason watch.

• Cola says:

I agree 100% with what you’re saying. Actually I just came here looking at reviews to find someone who felt as I did. However, I’m curious to see what happens… So I’ll probobly watch more of it :D

36. Teag says:

Just watched it. I liked it. Some bad acting here and there, from Anthony Edwards and the journalist girl, but it was good.

37. Haley says:

I was looking forward to this being ‘epic’ like The Following epic. But the trailer they launched a couple months ago explained everything the hour long pilot did. The main reason why I gave this show a shot was because of Scott Michael Foster (Greek). I will give it a couple more episodes but I don’t know if it’s going to go anywhere. With everyone saying ‘WTF?’ and not liking it, PLUS the ratings being what they were. I’m betting ABC is going to pull it before anything work anything is going to be show.
    But I have my fingers crossed.

38. Missy Kelly says:

I just watched it – I understand the networks hesitancy to invest two hours in a premiere but come on ABC – everyone one of your dramas is a soap opera and giving it two hours give enough time to invest in the characters – looks good but the numbers look like it won’t sustain – since the networks now think that if there isn’t sparks on the first date, a second date isn’t necessary. That;s a shame because like Last Resort, this could grow into something. I miss the days of good one hour drama – oh, good, that’s why we have CBS.

39. A says:

The historical theology was so out-there I cant even begin to find this show watchable. I dont mind made up theology- but that was just way too much. Im pretty disapointed because the previews looked really interesting.

40. S smith says:

TURN DOWN the MUSIc . You can’t HEAR what the characters are even trying to say!Turn it down or I’ll turn the channel!

41. Dan says:

Do No Harm got cancelled after two episodes… I can only hope this one does too, coz that 2nd episode was terrible beyond belief

42. JR Roberts says:

I liked it-flaws and all and I am curious to see how/where it goes. To see a major network attempting a series involving religion- (read the Book of Revelations) on prime time tv AND on a major network is miraculous. Usually, any show that attempts religion, presents it on a bad light or gets cancelled. I’ll continue watching and give it a fair chance.

43. Rob says:

Big suprise a new show that actualy makes you think, pay attention and have at least a basic understanding of history in order to understand it is put down because it doesnt have any vampires, Doctors, Teen drama (overly gay or not) some sort of woman with a power trip, some brainless so called “reality show” that you would have to have an IQ half your age or less to even sit through more than the first min. Or some sort of Singing/ talent contest that has been over done 5 ways to sunday in just about every way. Its sad when Primetime tv has to be aimed at the brainless drama queens of the world in order to get raitings anymore. It just shows how stupid people in general are becoming these days and shows the direction we as a society are heading and I feel sorry for future generations.

44. Jess says:

I wouldn’t mind this show to much. Yes there are a few unbelievable things, but the one thing, the one thing I absolutely cannot stand is HANK. OMG I HAVE NEVER MET A MORE ANNOYING MAIN MALE CHARACTER EVER! Usually it’s the females that tend to have the annoying traits, but in this case I applaud the female FBI agent, Hank can go disappear. He pisses me off too much.

45. E Vega says:

Love conquers all… Hank and Laila will live happily ever after….. TOO BAD ZERO HOUR WONT!

46. abazan says:

Bring Zero hour back,show that makes you think,what are people scared of. Come on ABC do right thing!!!