TVLine Items: Jeff Probst Show Is Cancelled, Michael E. Knight Talks AMC Return and More!

JeffProbstShowThe Jeff Probst Show‘s torch has been extinguished.

CBS TV Distribution announced Wednesday that they would not be bringing back the Survivor host’s daytime talker for a second season.

“We believe Jeff is an incredible talent, and that he and his dedicated producing team delivered quality episodes throughout the season,” the studio said in a statement. “Unfortunately, the audience isn’t there to support a second year.”

RELATED | Ratings: Survivor Premiere At All-Time Low

For his part, Probst admitted to being “super bummed” about the cancellation, yet “extremely proud” of his short-lived series.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Looks like Dixie will be Tad-less in Pine Valley for a while. In an interview with Soap Opera Digest, Michael E. Knight spoke out for the first time about All My Children‘s upcoming Hulu/iTunes revival, saying that he won’t be involved in the relaunch at the time of its debut. “With me, personally, it was simply an issue of timing, period,” he explained. “I consider [AMC executive producer] Ginger Smith to be, actually, one of my oldest and dearest friends, in that industry and in life. And I had asked her for patience with me because as I like to put it, I didn’t say no, I just said, ‘I can’t do it right now.’ I love the fact that the interest is there and I firmly believe Tad is going to be walking through Pine Valley in short order at some point.”

RELATED | Prospect Park ‘Willing to Equally Share’ OLTL Characters With GH: ‘It’s a Win-Win for the Actors’

• TBS’ Cougar Town this Tuesday night drew a season-high audience of 2.4 million total viewers, rising 16 percent week-to-week. In the 18-49 demo, the comedy rose 7 percent.

• E! has pulled the plug on Whitney Cummings’ weekly talk show Love You, Mean It after a little over two months on air, per BuzzFeed.

• NBC has trimmed down the episode order of its summer series Camp from 13 to 10, Deadline reports. From Deception‘s Liz Heldens and Gail Berman, the dramedy follows in the footsteps cult hits Meatballs and Dazed & Confused.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Mick says:

I hope Michael Knight comes back because Tad has been the heart and soul of AMC for the last decade. The show had been structured around him for quite some time.

2. George says:

Out of curiosity, will you guys be covering AMC & OLTL once they go back into production? I know this is technically a TV site, and well…those shows aren’t gonna be on TV, but since you have been covering news about both shows I thought maybe you guys would continue with that once new episodes begin to air :)

3. Newo says:

no clever pun about the Love you, Mean it cancellation on valentines day ?

4. Lily L. says:

Shows you what I know. I didn’t even know he had a talk show. :\

5. Abe Froman says:

Sounds like Michael E. Knight is taking a “wait and see” attitude toward the AMC reboot. Don’t blame him after the previous fiasco.

6. jsswite says:

Can’t believe a lot of stations gave up Ellen for Jeff Probst. What a bonehead move.

7. Mike says:

Great for Cougar Town, hopefully it gets renewed and pairs it with Happy Ending. I haven’t been watching Cougar this season, because I thought it was failing, may have to start watching.

• Eric says:

You probably wouldn’t be watching it anyways, because you seem to think its still on ABC. :D
      It moved to TBS last year, so even if both Happy Endings and Cougar Town are renewed, they won’t be paired together. Unless TBS picks up Happy Endings too.

8. Scottyb says:

Sorry to hear about Micheal, hopefully he come back soon. David Canary is supposed to be coming back and Cady McClain has signed on.

9. Glen says:

It’s also now being reported that Roger Howarth will be going back to OLTL for four weeks to help with the relaunch. He’ll then return to GH.

10. ollie says:

yay for cougar town

11. Singingal says:

Really? LYMI was awesome! My bf and I continuously laughed our butts off!!! :(

12. colleen2853 says:

Personally I’m hummed out that Jeff probate show has been canceled …its a lot better than ‘the chew’! That should be canceled and leave Jeff on the air….dump Meredith vieira….

13. Jeff Probst ….. Just doesn’t have it

14. I looked forward to watching the Jeff Probst show and will miss it. He did a great job interviewing and made it interesting. I never watched the CHEW because they took AMC’s spot. Good luck to AMC and OLTL. Still watch General Hospital but don’t like the vampire story and wish Robin and Robert would come back on.

15. margaret bega says:

Very sorry to hear you are not renewing the Jeff Probst Show. I loved it as much as Dr Phill and The Talk. We don’t need another Oprah Show the past is the past. Jeff is the show not the co hosts

16. Geri Trager says:

Please answer one important question – who or what planet do they review shows and decide to cancel. As a former east coast person and now a west coast person you seem tocut shows that are popular other places than the midwest. Jeff Pronst show.is one of the most refreshing shows on tv today, yet u keep Dr. Phil and others around. Most of the reality show airing are far fetched and stupid. I would love to participate in tje polling so maybe good shows would not be cancelled. I live in a 7800 home community and a great deal of us senior audiences hate most of the crap you guys keep.

• Kathi says:

I agree. Jeff Probst’s show was one of the best out there. He has a way of connecting with people and pulling things out of them, what u want in an interviewer and no co-host needed.
      Anderson’s show was reinvented a number of times and failed because his forte is news casting, not the case with Jeff. There is little quality programming out there and u still cancel a good show and keep so much of the crap with scripted reality and shock type, i.e. Springer shows. What has happened to this country?
      I happened upon Jeff’s show while channel surfing, had heard it mentioned once. Maybe if u had done more promotion of the show up front, u would have seen a different outcome w/it’s followers. Also other shows have been given a better chance with them being on the air longer, not a quick stint. If it doesn’t start as an immediate huge success crushing the competition it’s gone. Did it have the right backing? Would a better time slot make the difference? Who does determine these things and how polling is done? I don’t expect to like everything on TV and respect the diversity. We are all unique, but in this case, ur making a big mistake.

17. Jay says:

Soap fans have been use to crossovers for decades. Let ABC and Prospect Park work out the detail and let’s get on with being able to watch our resurrected soaps.

18. Dennis says:

The only informative, clean and entertaining daytime show, The Jeff Probst Show, should stay on TV. How great it was to watch a show that had no agenda but just good information
    and entertainment. I am so tired of phony staged Springer type shows and soap operas that it’s time to turn off the TV, thanks cbs.

19. Andrea says:

Right now Jeff probst show is continueing it is April 11 they are on at 12.30 or at 1 .00 pm I am a fan of the show I Afto agree that he shouldn’t have a co host but if I had to choose one it would be Lisa the one on surviver there more intune with each other

20. So Jeff Probst show and Katie Couric are out….We told you so ABC. You should never have cancelled One Life to Live and All My Children. Your Daytime audience wants scripted drama namely our soaps in the afternoon not, food, talk and/or news shows.

21. So Jeff Probst and Katie Couric are out. This is not a surprise and we told ABC this would happen.
    The expense of producing television programming that ABC’s Daytime audience doesn’t want and won’t watch is simply…. wasteful.

The bulk of ABC’s daytime audience has been clear. They want scripted drama (our soaps) in the afternoon, not food, talk, lifestyle and /or news shows. this is not going to change.
    Our soaps are a time honored American Tradition and ABC should never have cancelled them.