American Idol Recap: This Is 40 [Updated]

melinda-ademi-american-idolThirty-nine talented young singers stand on the precipice of superstardom. And so does one kinda crazy chick who has only one drum stick (musical, not chicken) as well as the potential to turn American Idol bandleader Ray Chew’s job into the kind of situation that might pique renewed interest in a revival of Discovery Channel’s recently departed Dirty Jobs.

Yes indeed, tonight’s final installment of Season 12 Hollywood Week put the women through their final paces, narrowed their numbers to a lean 20, and — if the “we need a girl to win this year, PLEASE!” intro is to be believed — gave us a glimpse at the show’s Great Y-Chromosome-Free Hope.

Certainly, the Season 12 women’s solo round contained some eyebrow-raising standouts: Melinda Ademi displayed a pop sensibility without the need for an Auto-Tune sponsorship; Kree Harrison proved that the best way to activate viewer tear ducts is by singing from the gut; and the Holy Trinity of Angela Miller, Janelle Arthur and Candice Glover continued to live up to the moderate-to-heavy pimpage to which they’ve thus far been entitled.

To paraphrase the last-named contestant’s solo number, “These! Girls! Are! On! Fiy-yahhhh!” Mmmkay?

We also saw a couple of last-minute singoffs that allowed the judges to cut four final ladies and eight final gents, leaving us with a gender-balanced Top 40 that are now headed to Vegas for the “Sudden Death” rounds in front of a live audience.

For the record, Fox has released the names of all 40 contestants advancing to Vegas, as follows:

LADIES

Bryant Tadeo
Burnell Taylor
Mathenee Treco
Devin Velez
Chris Watson
David Willis

So let’s do a quick rundown on what we saw over the course of the one-hour telecast. Since I just finished a Glee recap and don’t want to wind up face-down on my keyboard, drooling with sleep, I’m gonna keep my descriptions to a Twitter-esque 140 characters (or dang close to it).

SHOWN ADVANCING TO VEGAS
Angela Miller, “You Set Me Free” | Have to respect a gal who can write a powerful piano-driven (worship) ballad. Could our new judges make Idol history and regularly praise a female contestant for her “artistry”?

Candice Glover, “Girl on Fire” | Took some lovely liberties with the melody, and I think I may have detected Keith Urban on the brink of throwing a Gospel hand. Amen, brother!

Janelle Arthur, “I Told You So” | For the first time this season, I thought I heard a few nerves creep in to Janelle’s vocal, but by the time she hit the final third of the number, she’d utilized that angst to vividly paint the song’s woman-done-wrong picture.

Zoanette Johnson, “Ba Da Ba Da Dah” | Q: Was this drum-playing mess really yelling at the Idol band to keep up with her on a song she was making up on the fly? Also: Is she approaching the competition as a comedy act or an actual singer? Because I’m starting to feel like the split focus is guaranteeing she’ll succed at neither. Either way, Mariah was way too generous when she said “people will be looking at this performance for years to come” — unless by “people” she meant “Zoanette” and by “looking at” she meant “repeatedly playing on YouTube during breaks from her inevitable desk job.”

Shubha Vedula, “When You Believe” | Oh dear. If this is the kind of maudlin, animated movie soundtrack cut to which Shubha is going to gravitate, then she’s going to get suck being Rated H: For Hell to the No!

Juliana Chahayed, “Landslide” | We heard all of, like, nine seconds of Juliana’s Fleetwood Mac cover, but her tone was tastier than the Barefoot Contessa’s truffled mac and cheese. (Ugh. I think I just wasted two Weight Watchers points on that description.)

Melinda Ademi, “Price Tag” | Not only does she have a spectacular pop voice, but the Season 10 audition-round standout proved that sometimes, a couple extra years of development can result in vastly improved stage presence and lyrical interpretation skills. Bonus points for excellent “hair-ography,” too.

Kree Harrison, “Stars” | Kree brought something incredibly moving to Grace Potter’s mournful anthem — and not just because the show’s producers shared her story of losing both her parents by the time she’d turned 19. Could Kree be Season 12′s dark horse? All signs point to “mmm-hmm.”

ELIMINATED
Kez Ban, “I’m Flyin’ on a Cloud” | When Kez said she was going to bring out another original track, I optimistically dreamed we were about to get a companion piece to her sensational audition-round “Azure Sky.” Alas, though, the new ditty simply didn’t have the same railroad-tracks blues or lyrical heft. Not that getting cut right before Vegas was enough to derail Kez’s outré-ness. On her way out the door, Kez said she’d auditioned for Idol because her mother’s a big fan, then tried to score a gig as Ryan’s errand-runner. You can’t say she’s not enterprizing!

Also ousted with little/no video evidence: Ashlee Felciano, Briana Oakley, Sarina Joi Crowe and returning vets Lauren Mink and Ariel Sprague.

Finally, the judges called back the 24 women and 28 men who were still standing at the end of solo rounds, and winnowed each gender down to 20 apiece. To ensure one guy and one gal endured the pain of knowing they’d essentially finished in 21st place, or maybe just to make for “Good TV,” the producers staged a final-act sing-off among those competing for the final slots.

On the ladies’ side, it came down to Rachel Hale vs. Stephanie Schimel — or was it Haley Reinhart vs Phillip Phillips? Interestingly, Rachel chose Haley’s “Undone,” but proved that bigger isn’t always better when her belty approach scraped up against the guard rails; Stephanie showed a light, lilting tone on P2′s smash, but wound up getting cut, perhaps because her total body of work didn’t match up to Rachel’s?

On the guys’ side, Josh Holliday split open his pant leg while dropping to his knees on a “Georgia on My Mind” that only made me long for Kendra Chantelle’s and Matt Giraud’s and Casey Abrams’ superior renditions. But it was enough to outlast Adam Sanders, whose “Taking Chances” cover wound up as gory as an average episode of The Following.

Other notable last-minute cuts included David Leathers Jr. (who also got ousted around this point last season), Devin Jones, and Marvin Calderon.

And with that intel dropped in your ear, let me turn things over to you. What did you think of Night 4 of American Idol Season 12 Hollywood Week? Did any of tonight’s singers sound like potential winners to you? And which members of the Top 40 are rocking your world? Sound off in the comments, and for all my Idol-related news, recaps, interviews and videos, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Comments (218)

• -My favorites of the night were Angela Miller, Candice Glover, Kree Harrison, Janelle Arthur and Melinda Ademi. These women are very strong. There are many other notable ladies out there that if they choose the correct songs then anything is possible.
    -It wasn’t until Las Vegas Week that Jessica Sanchez and Phillip Phillips really started to stand out, so even if we don’t know a contestant so far, it doesn’t mean a ton in the long run. There is still plenty of time to really shine and I think some of these contestants are gonna do just that.

Comment by IdolBeTheJudge.Blogspot.com – February 14, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nope.. phillips phillips was a standout from his audition, up to hollywood and las vegas. heck he was the frontrunner from the beginning. jessica sanchez on the other hand almost steal the win from phillip phillips when she first appeared on las vegas. if she would have appeared early on maybe just maybe she would not be eliminated at 7th place and will have the necessity of the save. :)

Comment by hey_wats_up17 – February 14, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shonette(?) is the female Norman Norman.

Comment by lianna0048 – February 15, 2013 04:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree!

Comment by Sam – February 15, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Angela, Candice, Kree, Janelle, Melinda. You just summed up my top 5. ;D

I’m super excited for those girls. So stronkhhh. I agree with Slezak, I’m really excited to see what Kree will bring. Definite dark horse! And Angela’s song was amazing. Replay, replay, replay.

Comment by Vetle – February 15, 2013 07:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Angela Miller and was so angry with Randy for saying “Wow” and “Really” 8000 times during the performance. Shut up and respect that she much more talented than you Randy. Get over yourself. /endrant

Comment by Tyler – February 15, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right? The rest of the judges were bowled over by the performance and Randy rudely interjected over and over with his repetitive and and unnecessary comments. Case-in-point: “We might have a show.” It was evident that the other judges were as uncomfortable and annoyed by him . . . as we all are.

Comment by gnatcar – February 17, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And then he starts smiling and laughing like a hyena when Rachel mentions him not liking the song she picked to sing.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 17, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else smile a bit when those final two girls were brought out and pitted a Phillip Phillips song against a Haley Reinhart song? It was kind of like a cross-season competition, and Haley won.

Also, what does Zoanette have on these people?

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – February 14, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved Rachel Hale singing “Undone” but I’d like to hear her sing something where she dials it back just a notch.
      Maybe Zoanette is Randy’s Love Child. That’s the best explanation I can offer.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • With Paula?

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – February 14, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OMG! Made Me Laugh! :-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Rachel has been my favorite all along.. I love her positive attitude that anyone can reach high and trying to put a smile to everything. She also seems to love the healing and uplifting nature of the blues (yes, blues isn’t sad, its uplifting ….dealing with the unfortunate(sweeping it into a pile in the corner maybe)iand thinking higher)

I do wish, in this instance.. that she didn’t quite reach -so- high… she didn’t need that extra step higher.. a double up run, that missed the note and kinda tainted what she could have ended beautifully with . YET… you got to admire her for Reaching! and for trying a wonderful song that not everyone knows.

Comment by Tom22 – February 14, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So bleeping awesome that a Haley f’n Reinhart song was covered on idol. I can’t even. I thought Rachel did well with it until that unfortunate last note. But still, how thrilling it must be to have contestants covering your song a mere 2 years after you were on the show. Hope we get to hear more Haley songs this season, there are a lot of absolute gems on her album… Listen Up!

Comment by Emma – February 15, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I started freaking out when they played Haley’s song “Hit the ground running” in the background on Wednesdays episode! I was like YEAH! GO HALEY!

Did you notice that? It was near the beginning, right after they made cuts of one of the lines of girls.

Rachel kind of butchered Undone; it’s hard to live up to Haley’s awesome vocals. I think the other girl she was “competing against” was better.

Comment by Dayrah – February 16, 2013 04:59 PM PDT
      • Wasn’t Randy actually bashing on Undone all night though in pathetic fashion yet again and the show going along with it???

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 10:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hah, that was awesome, Undone winning it in the end.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It kinda showed how good Haley is too though since she sings that live all the time effortlessly, sounding extra good on it on Real Music Live TV and it seemed to trick some up and push them far.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 10:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GO ladies GO! I just don’t see how a male can win. I REALLY DON’T. Say what you will about Phillip but he has a very timely sound(the Mumford/Civil War type of thing), and he was good looking and had a great personality. He deserved his win IMO…But honestly…none of the guys have stood out AT ALL…maybe this will turn around during live shows but so far the guys are blah…and you know what…they aren’t that good looking either…so you know, fingers crossed that all equals to us having a female winner!

Comment by Josh – February 14, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think everyone is feeling that way right now… That none of the guys have a shot… But the thing that annoys me is that I feel so manipulated by the Powers That Be! The only reason that none of the guys are standing out is because the producers don’t want them to! Everything is edited in a way to manipulate us to like the contestants that they want us to like… And since they obviously want a female winner this year all of the guys have been given a cannon fodder edit. I don’t care whether the winner is male or female, but I am inclined to end up voting for a male just because I feel so manipulated by producers that I want to spite them! It’s a shame that producers agenda is causing me to have an agenda about my own… Everyone’s agenda should just be to vote for the best singer. :(

Comment by Lindsey – February 14, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ITA with everything you said!

Comment by libby – February 14, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thank you! I was waiting to get ripped apart for some reason or another… Seems like people on message boards don’t usually agree with me, haha! :)

Comment by Lindsey – February 14, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ok but it doesn’t matter. We aren’t at a place where we can vote any way. When we get the chance to vote, we can go against Uncle Nigel’s plan. If there’s a guy with promise vote to your heart’s content.

Comment by Name That Tune – February 14, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In other words, Lindsey, business as usual! ;)

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol .. yeah thats about it.. Business as usual having the producers clip comments and decide on camera shots that will turn viewers to voting for the ones they think leave the show looking attractive to their chosen demographic target groups.

They have some flexibility… like maybe ‘lets see which of these three gets some traction and then stay with them and sink the others in that demographic slice.

Comment by Tom22 – February 14, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know what you have been watching or who you have been talking too. There are a few promising girls and a few promising guys. If the producers keep pimping the girls it might backfire on them. The bar will be set high for the girls and they do not reach it, while the boys will be underdogs who are a lot more interesting than expected.

Comment by teatime – February 14, 2013 09:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’d say there are about 9 promising girls that I could watch peform each week without eliminating a single one of them.

Have a nice variety show then end the season with all 9 of them for all I care… they’d all get better each week and its all about the music for me,… and the growth of the young musicians

Comment by Tom22 – February 14, 2013 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • True story: I have a friend at work who watches the singing shows with her husband, but does not follow it online at all. I always let her speak first when we discuss singing shows and then I tell her my impression and what I have read online. Today she told be she does not know WHY she was expecting some big things from the girls on Wednesday. She thought there must have been something in a commercial that made her think it was going to be a big night. But she and her husband really thought the guys were better last week.
          I think as many as half the standout girls are country singers or lean country. That is fine for country fans or fans like me who like the show itself so much they can appreciate a good contestant even if they would never buy their music. But for anyone who is not a country fan, there are just a couple interesting girls at the most.

Comment by teatime – February 14, 2013 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You might be onto something there teatime . I’m not a country fan but I’m much more inclined to a country style singer than a balladeer with a big voice (mariah , aguliera, beyonce) mode. I love Norah Jone’s voice. I like indi sounding voices… maybe I like jazz singers most followed by country singers with the straight forward sound the big “glory note” types, a distant third. What I put in third is a very large portion of peoples most important quality in a singer…while I think a lot of these girls can hit some big notes , they seem more attuned to musical stylings that throw people with the other tastes off. Anyway, even though I’m not a country fan I loved Janell and Rachel so far

Comment by Tom22 – February 15, 2013 05:27 AM PDT
      • I know how you feel. I’m afraid the voting demographic will rebel too and pick one of the mediocre guys to win it all just to spite them. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out with all this manipulation because it is a turnoff.

Comment by freethinker – February 15, 2013 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but I don’t find any of the girls remarkable either – except for Candice Glover, who has it all. Kree was pretty good tonight, and Janelle isn’t bad, but most of the girls are really uninspiring thus far.
      I can’t stand Angie’s sound or performance style, and Rachel Hale’s voice is annoying to me. In the sing-off I would have easily chosen Stephanie over Rachel’s loud, bland, shaky display.
      They also shouldn’t have cut Breanna Oakley because she had a good, strong voice, imo, with some shades of Jordin Sparks. For some reason, I thought she’d be the token barely-teen this season. Speaking of which — poor, poor David Leathers!
      And to top it all off, I’m starting to get irritated with Nicki’s inconsistent judging and need to constantly talk more than anybody else. *sigh*, maybe I’m just cranky tonight. :-/

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Putting Zoanetta through was a slap in the face to some talented girls that were cut and an insult to the viewership.

Comment by The Beach – February 14, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure she’s holding Nigel Lythgoe’s family hostage in a warehouse somewhere. It’s the only explanation that makes sense.

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – February 14, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Or she’s got hold of him somewhere else… with a very tight squeeze :)

Comment by The Beach – February 14, 2013 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nigel loves chicks with a dent up in they forehead

Comment by QCLO – February 15, 2013 01:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG you get a Made Me Laugh! :-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lmaoo seriously!!!

Comment by asherlev1 – February 14, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m with you 100 percent. Personally, I think this is part of them problem with AI know. It use to be known for finding undiscovered talent, know it seems like housewives gone mad. They need to get rid of Warwick and Nigel. maybe I’m naive but I want talent not a comedy show. On that note there was some talented girls tonight, some that were not featured before.

Comment by Mary – February 14, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They need to get rid of the voting system. Its the cause of all the problems. They only hire nuggets like Warwick and Unkie Nige to try and cover up for the fact its a white man’s parade to the finals because people with nothing better to do on a week night; young white girls in the midwest and bored housewives stuck at home are going to vote Mr. Handsome of Questionable Talent to oblivion.

Comment by Chap – February 15, 2013 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • :-[ So Owen, what did you think of this comment.

Comment by MB – February 15, 2013 01:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We haven’t even started voting yet.

Comment by teatime – February 15, 2013 05:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really I am enjoying the comedic relief she brings. She is a hoot! And I think the band enjoyed playing along with her ad lib!

Comment by Name That Tune – February 14, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • +1 I actually thought it was pretty impressive in a way and the sort of thing the show needed.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That said, perhaps she will go off the rails and I will change my mind in a hurry. But call me crazy but I found what she did last night interesting and refreshing in a crazy way. We will see.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I feel like I’m in the 1% who actually enjoys Zoanette and what she brings to the competition. I’m more interested in her than yawn-worthy Janelle Arthur.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 16, 2013 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you gotta be f*****ng kidding me she went forward, as Clint Eastwood said in porkchop hill what a clusterf**k. she didn’t even sing. What do they have to do put a certain number of fat no talent drummers into the top 40.

Comment by Robert Roettenbacher – February 14, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually it was “Heartbreak Ridge”, but we get the picture.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thanks, I was so p’d off I was livid and all I could think of was when Stich Jones said something about pork chop hill, kasan, sands of Iwo Jima.

Comment by Robert Roettenbacher – February 14, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That’s okay. It just happens to be one of my favorite movies. I don’t blame you for being p’d off!

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 09:04 PM PDT
    • You took the words right out of my mouth! If she makes it to the live rounds I’ll be outdone. Shoots maybe I’ll try out next year. Even though I’m 21 years older I look just as young as she does and sound better :). I don’t know if they are looking for another Fantasia or what, but this woman is NOT it.

Comment by Ang – February 14, 2013 09:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was disgusting.

Comment by Gale – February 14, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • couldn’t agree with you more!

Comment by angelblue1772 – February 15, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorites were Angela Miller, Janelle Arthur, Melinda Ademi, Kree Harrison and Candice Glover in thar order. I did not notice Melinda nor Kree until tonight so I do believe hearing more my list will change in order. I still am not happy with Zonette though it seems many are starting to love her according from some tweets tonight. She is not my cup of tea and that loud screaming type of music is something that I find unpleasant to listen to. Joshua Ledet tweeted that he loved her and being that Fantasia is his idol and his preformances on idol, I can understand why. I really like Joshua and think he has a beautiful voice but I could not tolerate how he ended his songs and most of the time I had to switch to a different song when it got to that point. That is just me and I know there are many out there who love this type of music so there might be a place for Zonette in the competition. The judges seem to adore her so I resigned myself that she may be around for awhile. My feeling is at least Joshua could sing but I am not to sure that Zonette can do more than screach. Oh well this should be interesting to see where it goes.

Comment by MB – February 14, 2013 06:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is it too much to hope that Josh was being tongue-in-cheek? He can’t be serious! Zoanette can’t sing. She needs some serious vocal coaching and lorazepam.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He was dead serious and so was alot of other people on tweeter. They either loved her or hated her. No in between. It confuses me but if you listen to some of the popular music out there, there are some pretty awful singers who have a huge following. I took my granddaughter to lunch and allowed her to play her music in the car. It was awful, loud and the furthest thing from music in my book. I had to turn it off and told her I was sorry but my head was pounding. What is music to some is noise to others. I absolutely love Phillips music and play it everyday but others here hate it. I quess we all don’t hear the same thing.

Comment by MB – February 14, 2013 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, let’s see – and I’m only going to say it one last time…HOW IN THE NAME OF EVERYTHING HOLY DID THAT ZOANETTE CHICK GET THROUGH??????? Ladies and Gentlemen…THIS is American Idol???????
    Okay then. I’m over that.
    Let’s talk about the last guy that sang, Josh Holiday – I’m just not sure how much of a market there is for Gospel Lounge Lizards.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That falling to his knees shtick was pretty cheesy.

Comment by The Beach – February 14, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But it was worth it for the pants-splitting sound effect.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While Holiday was singing Georgia on my Mind, I thought back to Deandre Brackensick’s Wild Card rendition of it and shook my head slowly and sadly. That was one of those performances that make you want to change the channel because you’re vaguely embarrassed for the person on stage.
      Then I changed the channel back and his pants had ripped. What did I miss?

Comment by Miscellaneopolan – February 14, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As the Dowager Countess might say: “It was of no import”.

Comment by The Beach – February 14, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • :-)

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had already forgotten Josh: even the ripped pants made no impression!

Comment by marie – February 14, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol Gospel lounge lizzards ….

Comment by Tom22 – February 14, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still trying to get over Stephanie’s cut, she was one of my favorites from the auditions and I definitely liked her rendition of Home. I don’t think Rachel should’ve gotten eliminated in any way either, but it definitely was a punch to the gut to see Stephanie go.

Zoanette…she isn’t my favorite, but I will say this. She is the contestant this year that you don’t know what to expect, and you want to see more. She obviously has something, I just think neither us or her has any idea what that is just yet.

I hate to see Adam go, but that last performance was a wreck. He could’ve been a huge liability on the Idol stage, it’s too bad because he definitely had some potential.

Comment by Wesley – February 14, 2013 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually preferred Stephanie to Rachel in that final sing-off. I thought Rachel went overboard and started screaming. Stephanie showed more control.

Comment by The Beach – February 14, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That sing off just showed me that Rachel is over rated. Neither one of those 2 impressed me so it didn’t matter who went through

Comment by Name That Tune – February 14, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree re Adam; seemed to have potential in the early rounds, but he was really pretty poor tonight. Well, he wouldn’t have lasted long, from the sound of it tonight.

Comment by marie – February 14, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked Stepahnie’s last performance, definitely a gut punch… made double by the fact that Zoanette was still on the stage and could have been sent home instead.

Comment by Marlex – February 14, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Will be interesting to see if she is put through to the actual voting rounds if she actually gets any votes. I’m thinking she’ll be the first one out the door then, but you never know.

Comment by Terry – February 15, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was sad to see Stephanie go, too. Her voice wasn’t powerful, but it was sweet and interesting. Rachel Hale is too shouty and ordinary for me. Bleh – disappointing decision.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Something about the vocal mix this year seems to make most of them sound a bit harsh and shouty.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Stephanie and Rachel. They should have cut someone else.

Comment by teatime – February 14, 2013 09:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Blown away by Angela Miller’s song and performance. Janelle was strong. My favorite up to now, Candice, I felt was slightly disappointing tonight. And – shock! – Rachel sounded quite shaky.
    Then again, did anyone else think that we really heard even less of everyone’s songs tonight? Like, we heard only a portion of the chorus of her song from Candice.
    So I’m reminding myself yet again, these are the edited shows: we truly won’t have the whole picture until the live shows.

Comment by marie – February 14, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was a really ballsy move on Angela’s part to sing her own song but it paid off….both the song and she were terrific.

Comment by The Beach – February 14, 2013 07:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes! I wonder if she has this song up on YouTube, maybe… I’d live to hear the whole song.

Comment by marie – February 14, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I enjoyed Angela’s original song a lot. And I thought the same thing about Candice, marie. I would have liked to have heard more of the song. Janelle did the Carrie Underwood version of Randy Travis’ “I Told You So” and it was quite good.
        When I look back at the performance I personally found the most entertaining, strictly for entertainment’s sake, it was NOT Zoanette (Sweet Baby Jesus – OOPS, over it, sorry, I digressed)…it was Melinda Ademi’s “Price Tag”. The girl was working it – she wasn’t just standing there singing.
        Shubha Vedula’s “When You Believe” was very good but I fear she may have been born about 20 years too late.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree Melinda was my top pick on the poles. I said wow where did she come from, I don’t remember seeing her before. I can see her as a pop star if she does not fall apart during the live rounds. She worked the stage and did not over sing. A lot of these girls have beautiful voices, but sorry always hitting the glory notes and screaming doesn’t do it for me. I don’t mind if the song warrants it, Candice for instant has a lovely voice, but she needs to tone it down on some songs. I did not care for Shubha at all.

Comment by Mary – February 15, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must be in the minority because I didn’t think the song was that great. She can definitely sing though.

Comment by Timmah – February 14, 2013 11:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • First I absolutely love Keith Urban. He loves music and it shows.
    I think it’s a travesty that Zonette made it through. This is VFTW last season. She was made for them. Not only can she not sing she dresses like a skank

Comment by forwarddad – February 14, 2013 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m riding the Keith Urban bandwagon too. The guy not only is sweet yet sweetly sarcastic but shows a real appreciation for all types of music. I’ve caught him singing along on lots of songs that aren’t his genre…very refreshing.

Comment by The Beach – February 14, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The sign of a true, through-and-through musician.

Comment by marie – February 14, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree. Love Keith Urban but I’ve always been a fan. During the Bob Marley tribute at the Grammys he was singing along with every word. It’s obvious he’s really enjoying Idol.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love that when Keith is really living a performance he just laughs. He is just so cute. He is really enjoying himself and is really a breath of fresh air.

Comment by MB – February 15, 2013 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no idea why or how but I was actually entertained by Zoanette; she most certainly does not have anything near the vocal gifts of some of the other ladies, but I founded myself kind of charmed. She looks kinda nutty, but a good attitude. I somehow didn’t mind her tonight. Go figure.

Comment by marie – February 14, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same. Zoanette is a doll. I read a comment on YouTube from someone claiming to have attended high school with Zoanette, stating something along the lines that the singer/drummer has ALWAYS been this vivacious and jovial.

I can respect that.

Comment by RodMod – February 14, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not sure what you two are drinking but I’ll have what you’re having.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was disappointed by Kez Ban. When I heard she was singing an original, I expected fireworks, but it wasn’t that good. Impressed by Angela.

Comment by Dan – February 14, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • From what she did earlier I swore she was going to be in the final 10 but I think she really didn’t want to be there so she blew it on purpose. If the drummer makes it past the next round then you know it is all fixed for drama not how well someone sings!

Comment by Robert Roettenbacher – February 14, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I definitely agree. Her audition was probably one of my all time favorites and I think the girl’s crazy talented, but it seemed like she was almost mocking the show during hollywood week. I just don’t see how she could go from Azure Sky to that ridiculous song she did tonight. And all I have to say about Zoanette is why?

Comment by Jan – February 14, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I don’t know if Kez choked or really didn’t want to be there. At least as a singer. She seemed sincere when she wanted to hang around. Maybe she did it for her mother and sorta fell in love with the show atmosphere and the people. Perhaps her mediocre performances earlier were on purpose, as she got there and since she clearly, from her first audition, knew she didn’t have this intense desire to be the AMERICAN IDOL she performed badly as not to take a spot of someone who really wanted it. Cause the woman who wrote and sang the FIRST audition original was NOT the same person who wrote and sang that eight bar piece of stupidity that was her final audition song…

Comment by Owen – February 14, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • mark my words: A BOY IS GONNA WIN! once a boy competitor strum his guitar and try to “make the song his own” it will be inevitable.. sorry AI producers.. unless you manipulate the votes..:)

Comment by hey_wats_up17 – February 14, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are there even any of those types of boys in the top 40?

Comment by Justin – February 14, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i think there is.. just wait and see.. haha! i would love for a girl to win but hey producers don’t shove it down our throats its annoying TBH. :) haha!

My prediction still is a GUY WILL WIN PERIOD. :)

Comment by hey_wats_up17 – February 14, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I want the best performer to win, personally I don’t care if it is male or female. The last couple of guy winners have done really well for themselves and to be honest, I really don’t think any of the girls would of done better. The real music business is a crap shot, even if a girls win doesn’t guarantee they will be successful.

Comment by Mary – February 15, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah but can you say they were all the best??????

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 08:03 PM PDT
      • Turbinator plays the guitar, and Johnny would probably appeal to the 11-year-olds and the cougars.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 16, 2013 06:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They have been hiding David Willis – I have a feeling he will be a contender.

Comment by Gale – February 14, 2013 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where did that “Isabelle” go? Didn’t recall seeing her in final 20 or clearly eliminated. But, I admit I was not fully attending to this scintillating hour…

Comment by Beanergirl – February 14, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t worry, she’s there. We’ll see her either next week or the week after in Las Vegas.

Comment by LeahKittyS – February 14, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was wondering yesterday why Kez Ban was still there, because I felt like her performances other than her audition were not good. Watching tonight, I felt like she didn’t take the final solo seriously, singing that original that was so short. I wonder if she had started to feel invincible or if she actually thought that was a good song. It didn’t seem to be in the same league with Azure Sky.

I was sad to see David Leathers go home. I think they should have kept him and sent a first-timer home. Sad to see Adam go, too.

Comment by dj – February 14, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t begin to fathom how short it was. Did the show edit it or was that really it??

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t you think Kez Ban may have been a plant by the producers. She was good TV and got people talking. They gave her tons of screen time. They even showed her going shopping with Zonette, which was totally scripted. Do you really believe the true character of Kez Ban would have worn that dress? I don’t know the whole thing seemed so acted out to me and the other question is why did she not have a room mate? Is she a real person or just a character in a show.

Comment by MB – February 15, 2013 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this were the finale I would give Angela the crown. Too bad that song is not available on iTunes now. I’d buy it.

Comment by Name That Tune – February 14, 2013 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kree Harrison was very noticable for her ability to sing with appealing good tone, and avoid the melisma/oversing/ screechy performances that many of them tend to go to. She doesn’t seem to have a lot of star-type, driving ambitions as of yet, but she has the voice to make songs sound good.

From what I have seen the past few years on the demographics/surveys of people who actually take time to vote — the majority of voters are female. And they tend to vote more for males, than females. Why is that?

Comment by Guitar Blue – February 14, 2013 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So think about the history of pop music. For my parents’ generation, the WG was Frank Sinatra. Not a guitar playing dude, but the girls loved him. Then there was Elvis. First real WGWG. Swung those hips, played that guitar, had those beautiful blue eyes & the girls loved it. At 3 years old, I was singing You ain’t nothing but a hound dog. When I hit my preteen years, the Beatles came along. 3 WGWGs & a WG who played the drums. My favorite was Paul, but you could have a crush on any of them. We are 60 years removed from Elvis, but the formula still works. Make a cute WG the lead singer in your band & watch the girls follow them around. Hell, some girls want to be groupies.
      It’s a money making formula &Uncle Nigel knows it.

Comment by Name That Tune – February 14, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are 100 % right. I loved Paul too. He was my first celebrity crush. :-)

Comment by MB – February 14, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But the top pop artists of the last 30 years have been women Madonna, Celine, Mariah, Beyonce, Lady Gaga ….damn I’m going to lose a naming list but there are a dozne others Agulara etc

The Pop guys? kinda girly Michael Jackson, Prince … I guess plenty of guy-guys if you go to rap. There have been some rock guy sucesses yet they’re not of the mega super-star variety… well Usher counts and Bruno Mars and Slash and Lenny Kravitze.. guess they might be equal to the girls but still I think Mariah and Beyonce and Gaga are bigger than they are by a significant step in the international conciousness.

Country you had the mega mega mega Pop star (he was pop kinda country) Garth Brooks.. but plenty of other super start girls to match the guys one for one in that Genre. (underwood, clarkson , miranda lambert etc)

Comment by Tom22 – February 14, 2013 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • hah you did lose naming a list…. Whitney Houston to toss out another little one
          For guys I guess it was, other than MJ, more one or two hit wonders to some extent (some were pretty huge one hit wonders though) or bands- U2 was and even still is pretty damn huge and then, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, and like them or not hah, the whole boy band thing. Although post Genesis, Phil Collins actually had a ton of success. Billy Joel sold records.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Elvis…

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 11:53 PM PDT
          • @evil twin -
            Last thirty years. ;)

(which only goes back to the early 80s! at this point in time as scary as that may be to some heh)

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 12:05 AM PDT
          • I one or two hit wonder is something to be.

Comment by teatime – February 15, 2013 05:26 AM PDT
          • It is. Heck, many of the best known 80s pop songs were one or two hit wonder songs and yet everyone still remembers them today.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 12:36 PM PDT
        • Hey I get that some female artists generate buzz. But Frank Sinatra, Elvis, & the Beatles had screaming, fainting throngs of teen girls obsessed with them. That’s the voter that AI appeals to. The one who will vote 5000 times in 2 hours for their favorite. Think Jason Castro in season 7. He made the top 4 because he appealed to the girls & some Cougar mommas.

Comment by Name That Tune – February 15, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But Elvis is still alive – he’s working in a Quick Trip in North Dakota, isn’t he?

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 15, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kree would do well with a little fashion make-over. Maybe some very subltle highlights in her hair and make her stay away from her eyebrows and let a pro do it. She kind of just looked flat and she could keep her same general feel that she felt right with yet still give her a bit more visual texture.

Comment by Tom22 – February 14, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked Kree’s voice, but I agree that her look was kind of flat. Her face showed no personality at all and a couple of times, she kind of looked off to the side, not out of emotion, but more like she was just going through the motions of singing the song. She clearly knows how to bring emotion to the song with her vocals, she just needs to show the emotion in her facial and body language too.

Comment by zaza – February 15, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just like saying “Shuba Bedula” or however you spell it . . . !

Comment by wbh – February 14, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shubba Vedula — Young and cute…..Candice Glover was on season 9 & 11, and getting a lot of camera time this year. Still, overrated and won’t make top 5 IMO.

Comment by Guitar Blue – February 14, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shubba lost me tonight with that song choice. One more overdone song, and I’ll be out of her corner for good.

Comment by teatime – February 14, 2013 10:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This was the round to over-do it though and stand out. I’m sure she’ll learn to reign it in when appropriate.

Comment by Timmah – February 14, 2013 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Although I like her in general, her performance seemed a bit pagenty this time.

Comment by zaza – February 15, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I was haunted and alone, with this baggage on my back dragging me down, you set me free.
    On. iTunes. Now. Please.

Comment by EVPandHC – February 14, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’s been one of the invented dramas for some of them this year, gonna free the people of their baggage with my songs. I been dreamin’ of this for my whole long life, through dozens of relationships, experiences, world missions, school lunches and everything — -

Comment by Guitar Blue – February 14, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh jeez. Is that a line from Angela’s song? It’s worship music isn’t it.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think there was a gospel/christian influence, but you could interpret the song as simply falling in love/some type of relationship. TBH I was more focused on the melody and arrangement of Angie’s song- which were both fantastic. The things she did with her voice were FANTASTIC.

Comment by John – February 15, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was about singing. One girl lost her spot to that Zoanette thing which is a damn shame. Can you imagine Simon Cowell letting that happen? I’d be pissed off if I was the girl who got sent home after singing at the end but what did anyone expect? 3 black judges……..IT’S A SINGING CONTEST which I just stopped watching. Pity Keith Urban

Comment by Singtome – February 14, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Simon let Normund Gentle through to the live rounds. And don’t blame the “3 black judges” … Nigel put Zoanette through, that much is obvious.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 09:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Norman Gentle could sing. He was comic relief but he also could carry a tune. They unfortunately cut him just before the voting rounds.

Comment by teatime – February 14, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, but he was a gimmick contestant, nonetheless. Was he not in the voting rounds? I can’t remember how they whittled it down that season.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • So sorry! I was incorrect. My recollection was that the judges sent him home, so I thought we never got to vote for him. I should have looked it up first. We did get to vote for him once, but it was a night where only 3 of 12 advanced based on America’s vote.
            Norman Gentle was on Season 8. He was in Top 36 which was the first round for voting. They were split into 3 groups of 12 contestants. For each group, 3 contestants advanced based on votes. The night he performed the 3 who were voted in were Kris Allen, Adam Lambert, and Allison Iraheta. It was a tough group! That night also included Matt Girard and Megan Joy. The judges then picked 8 wild cards out of the remaining 27 contestants from all 3 nights, to compete for another 4 spots to make a top 13. (IIRC they originally were fighting for 3 spots to make a top 12 but then a thirteenth spot was added). Norman was not picked as a wild card even though Tatiana was. So we did get 1 shot to vote for him but it was a stacked deck. I felt at the time that he was robbed :(. But he did in fact get 1 shot to be voted in.

Comment by teatime – February 14, 2013 10:06 PM PDT
          • Thanks for the Idol history lesson! It was a weird, weird system that year, and I’m so glad they never repeated it.
            Wow, Normund was in the group with the Top 3 (like Slezak, I refuse to recognize anyone but Allison Iraheta occupying third place). That’s a tough break for him. He might have made it through in a weaker group.
            For the record, I absolutely loved him. He was adorable and fun, and I was hoping he’d make the tour. He should have been on that tour. Zoanette is not a Normund Gentle because she’s not being deliberately kooky. She’s just … kooky. There’s a difference. :)

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 10:26 PM PDT
          • That group (Group 2) of Adam Lambert, Kris Allen, Matt Giraud, Allison Iraheta and Megan Joy also included the fantastic Mishavonna Henson and if I’m not mistaken, Jesse Langseth.

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – February 15, 2013 04:12 AM PDT
    • Okay, no one comments on Singtome’s racist insinuation that the three black judges put through the awesome Z woman just because they are all black and Keith, as the ONLY white judge, needs pity??? You respond to her evil post but fail to notice how horrible what she said was????? You talk about Norman Gentle and ignore Sing’s heinousness??? Disgusting.

Comment by Owen – February 14, 2013 10:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Usually it is best to just report the stuff than get into a spat with an idiot who isn’t worthy of the attention. I figure a person saying somthing so stupid undermines everything else they say.

Comment by Tom22 – February 14, 2013 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um…did no one notice Singtome’s racist insinuation that the only reason Zonette got through was because there are three black judges who just voted Zonette cause she’s black. And that Keith Urban needs PITY because he is the only white judge? You comment on her post, you talk about Norman friggin’ Gentle and you fail to chastise this Heinous, evil person for what she wrote??? Are you as disgusting as she/he?

Comment by Owen – February 14, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One more time so you don’t miss it: Singtome wrote a racist comment on these here boards and no one commented that she insinuated that they put Zoanette through cause there are three black judges and Zoanette is black??? And Keith deserves PITY cause he is the only white judge??? You comment about stupid things (Norman Gentle) and ignore her racist post? Oh. My. God.

Comment by Owen – February 14, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are absolutely right that was a racist comment and it was disgusting. Yet everytime I hear the phrase WGWG I am offended and feel it is racist because you are judging someone just because they are a white guy who plays a guitar not whether they are talented or not. Reference to someone’s color, gender, religion or ethnicity negatively should not be tolerated in any of these blogs.

Comment by MB – February 15, 2013 01:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh grow up. WGWG is not offensive. Cram the offence back up into your scold-hole.

THE SHOW IS CAST. Its forced into diversity. Advertisers would SCHIT themselves if the entire top 20 was composed solely of any single ethnicity, the same way they would not want a judging panel of one ethnicity. Race is a large component of this show whether or not you are grown up enough to understand that.

And Mariah isnt black, she’s transcended race into Edwardian British aristocracy, daaahling.

Comment by jepso – February 15, 2013 01:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow, did I say Mariah was black or that I had a problem with diversity. Maybe you should re-read the post. I only have a problem with someone being judged by their color, gender or ethencity and maybe it is you who should grow up. If someone said he only won because he is black, it would be concidered a racist comment but if someone says he only won because he is a WGWG it is not concidered racist? Someone is being judged not by their talent but by their gender and the color of their skin. If it was a black guy who played guitar or a girl who played guitar that would acceptable but not a white guy. Tell me this is not racist. I heard over and over that they should eliminate all contestants that are white males who play guitar. Yet you say this is not racist. In the last five years who should have won, who did better than the winner besides Adam Lambert versus Kris who is another whole conversation why he did not win. Just to set the record straight before I am accused of being against gays, I voted for Adam Lambert and was shocked and crushed when he did not win. I voted for Haley Reinhart and was crushed when she did not win. I don’t vote for a specific type I vote for who moves me that season. This season I will vote till my fingers bleed for whoever moves me whether it is male, female, white, black or plays guitar, piano or whatever and I will also go out and buy their records. Sorry about my rant but this is just totally getting ridiculous and needs to be put into perspective.

Comment by MB – February 15, 2013 02:11 AM PDT
          • Thank you MB! I agree with your rant.
            It seems like people are much more open (and accepting) about being racist towards white people than they are towards black people.

Comment by Dayrah – February 16, 2013 04:34 PM PDT
    • I think you are way off-base with that comment. A couple seasons ago that one country girl wayyyyy killed it and easily won the sing-off and yet she was the one sent home, which looked odd to many, over that maybe you could try to make your point, but no way in this case. At this point that it’s hardly like production is nervous over trying to force balance or something, so many contestants are left, and I sure haven’t seen any signs of what you are implying, come on I mean we have Nicki saying a white country girl is one of her favorites and saying Landslide is like her favorite song, just for starters, there is no evidence for that whatsoever.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And how did you miss that Keith was loving Zoanette too?

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to the girl that ate frog legs?

Comment by Nancy – February 14, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re referring to Ja’bria Barber, who impressed us all at her audition with “Pride and Joy”. Several of us commented she looked and sounded like a young Melinda Doolittle. Good question! We never saw her again. There were several contestants with impressive auditions that just kind of vanished. Isabell Parell (the girl that sang “Baby It’s Cold Outside” with Keith Urban), Jesaiah Baer – she sang Kimbra’s “Settle Down”, and Mackenzie Wasner (her dad works with Vince Gill).

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 14, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was really looking forward to Jesaiah, but she vanished without a trace after her audition. They didn’t do a very good job with follow-up this year.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Apparently, MacKensie Wasner was disqualified for some unknown reason.

Comment by EVPandHC – February 14, 2013 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My husband said Kez Ban was doing all she could to get kicked off after Hollywood. And American Idol this year is not being so unclear about edits, to the point that I can’t be sure what went down. Surely that one line wasn’t the whole Kez Ban song? Her favorite of her originals? Oh, well. this show isn’t ready for transexuals anyway, particularly not when it’s boys versus girls and then you’d have to define what make someone one gender or the other. And before tonight, I thought Angela Miller was bland. But what a gorgeous voice and a fine song. Adam and Josh Holiday both were bad. They should have let David Leathers stay. Nicki should write “Producers suck” on her hand.

Comment by Lois Benton – February 14, 2013 10:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’m just not paying attention but I don’t recognize half of those girls. What the hell is a Poo Snap?

Comment by Trace – February 14, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One of the girl groups made that their group name. I have no clue what it means though. Sounds like cow pies or something. Like gingersnaps made of poop.

Comment by Dayrah – February 16, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone tell me why David Leathers was cut but Lazaro Arbos was chosen to go through. He will be the Candice Glover of next season.

Comment by Adrian Arciniega – February 14, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you think he’d even want to come back next year? He seemed pretty demoralized and disheartened at being chewed up, sloshed around until the very brink of success, then spit out again. How many years can he take that?

Comment by Ty – February 14, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, this is Janelle Arthur’s third time at the rodeo, so why not? Suddenly everybody’s noticing Janelle this year – who knows why. It’s not like she was radically different last year. She even sang “Be My Little Baby” in the Vegas round last season, and nobody talked much about her then. Go figure.

Comment by deedee – February 14, 2013 10:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • David should definitely come back (if he’s reading this). You can tell that he’s had a growth spurt in the last year, so he should come back once his new voice is settled, and maybe after he’s finished his makeover (braces). It might be dispiriting to him now, but I think it’s for the best as far as his potential career is concerned.

Comment by Dave in Alamitos Beach – February 15, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe he is the better singer, for me at least.

Comment by Mary – February 15, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s hope David comes back. I think the producers don’t want to load each season down with too much stellar talent (how else to explain some of their choices and cuts from year to year), and with David still so young, he could still come back next year and be one of the youngest contestants. No doubt they give free passes to next year’s judges’ round for some cut contestants. Lazaro can only play his sad story once; the producers can only run that once. Wherever he finishes, he’s not likely to finish in the Top 3 or 4. I’m not even sure that this is the right show for David anyway. The viewers seem to have a problems with men of color, which is why I would have showcased him while he still a teenager. But the producers are idiots anyway, which is why the show has been losing viewers.

Comment by Lois Benton – February 15, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Generally the show seemed pretty interesting tonight, lots of good talent there.
    A lot of amazing stuff, Angela not just her voice but writing that, that is the sort of thing that is impressive, she is for real. I like that better than probably most of what is on top 40 this moment. Total package.
    Candice has a good voice. She sticks out.
    Crystal seemed pretty impressive (she made top 20 right, although wait did we see her again or not??? Hmm hope so, that would be wrong if not.)
    I actually thought Zonette was pretty impressive. Just getting up there and popping that out on the fly, good stuff, like to see that kind of stuff get rewarded and not just tossed off as she is too much for the show or something.
    A number of others showed a lot of promise too. I haven’t been watching much I don’t have the names down well at all.
    Haley is pretty good since she breezed through Undone effortlessly, so well on Real Music Live tv and it appeared that it pushed some contestants pretty hard at times.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There were a few really weird cuts at times the night before. I didn’t see much of the earlier shows so maybe it made more sense if you’d seen what various singers had done earlier on, but if not, something fishy, way fishy was up at times. That said they still ended up with at least ten really solid ones so I guess that stuff didn’t matter in the end.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 14, 2013 11:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That apparently bashing on Undone all night and Idol going along seemed kinda pathetic though and makes me have doubts about this season after all. I hope I just misread that whole thing though. They did end with Undone winning it for a girl, which was cool. (but they also cut to Randy rolling eyes and stink face when one girl mentioned the word “undone” (how she felt after a break-up) and to his glee when Rachel was asking if she should change she he hated the song choice). Did I read that wrong or not?

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 12:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By “Crystal” I actually mean Cristabel Clack. And Melinda wasn’t bad either.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank goodness that key ban is GONE!

Comment by James – February 14, 2013 11:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Candice, she’s one of my favorites. But if I’m being honest I really wish she would use more subtlety and finesse, like she did in her group performance. Change up the dynamics a little bit so it doesn’t feel like the vocals are wide-open the entire song.
    Angela’s original was good pop and she sang it well. Best of the night for me.
    Melinda and Kamaria are my other favorites; these girls have outer-space swag and seem to be ahead of the curve as far as stage presence goes.

Comment by bbl – February 14, 2013 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Johnny Keyser makes it to America’s vote, my money is on him to win. You know the teen/tween girls will vote in droves for his hotness.

Comment by sarah – February 15, 2013 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Jimmy Smith – he has better looks and charm than Johnny.

Comment by Mary – February 15, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The show is being very low key about Johnny and Jimmy. We barely saw them in Hollywood, but I’m predicting that Jimmy pull ahead of the pimped girls and take the win. It’s early days, so I may end up eating my words in a couple of weeks, but that’s my feeling right now.

Comment by deedee – February 15, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Is Jimmy Smith the guy with the curly blond hair? I think the only thing I’ve heard him sing is “Landslide”.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 15, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yes, Jimmy is the surfer-dude-looking guy who sings country. He’s cute, and has a good voice with a definite twang. I’m pretty sure I caught him crying last night when he made the top 40, so he’s sensitive, too. The girls love sensitive beach bum types who sing, and if he breaks out a geetar – it’s game over. :D

P.S. I left out the word “will” in my post at 07:41AM. Please insert in the appropriate spot. *anal*

Comment by deedee – February 15, 2013 11:29 AM PDT
          • P.P.S. I just realized that writing the word “anal” after my last sentence was not my best idea ever. Please mentally replace this with another term. Thank you. :-\

Comment by deedee – February 15, 2013 11:37 AM PDT
          • One more thing … I actually really like Jimmy Smith a lot, so I’d be ok with him going far, or even winning. He’s got a quiet, almost vulnerable way about him, and I think he could be one of those understated talents who builds throughout the competition. That is, if he gets through to the voting rounds in the first place!

Comment by deedee – February 15, 2013 12:53 PM PDT
  • The judges were right, now I want to buy Angela Millers song!
    My favorite girls so far are Angela, Candice, Kree and Melinda and for the boys: Devin, Curtis, Nick and Charlie

Comment by Lee – February 15, 2013 02:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That docuhebag Johnny Keyser gets chance after chance but poor David Leathers gets cut AGAIN! Sorry Melinda, I know Johnny’s a friend of yours, but this is a travesty of justice.

Comment by Favel Offman – February 15, 2013 03:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree! He’s such a douchebag! And he’s not even that hot…

Comment by Mik – February 15, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • - I feel the re is too much manipulation to get the girl winner. I think, that people enjoyed for example back in tne season 6, when Jordin grew all the time during the show and kind of naturally won the competition. If you manipulate too much, everyhting becomes boring and predictable. Also they are showing quite a lot certain contestants, although they would deserve it

- Cannot understand why Zoanette keeps proceeding

- Could not understand why Brandy Neely got cut, so sad because of Lauran Mink and Ariel Sprague leaving (although we heard only a bit Lauren)

- Surprisingly getting slowly a bit irritated by 2 female judges because of their divaish mannerism and way of talking, especially Nicki. It is like they/she would like to draw all attention to themselves7herself. She is sometimes necesserely edgy in good way and hilarious, but I also feel like she is like a kid yearning for attention.

- And I also kind of see, where this combination of judges lead: Although I need to wait and see still, to me there seems to be among the girls a lot of beaytiful, if not great voices, sing nonsense lyrics and about “deep feelings”, but actually there does not sem to be much depth really in the girls really and real personalities ( I do not considesr Zoanettes acts as having “personality”). I hope I am wrong.

- If they try to manipulate the girls to win, I am still glad, that Candice is there, because she is really great, has real depth and personality, and apperas to be quite nice a person also, although she has not been been my original favorite.

- All in all, I would not go to say, that a girl will win for sure.

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – February 15, 2013 04:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Melinda Ademi – was she the one who was in a duo with Thia Megia in the Vegas round and the vocal coach from hell urged them to murder each other onstage?

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – February 15, 2013 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, that’s the one. She’s way better than Thia though.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 15, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I liked Thia better. Loved her jazzy, smooth tone. Melinda’s fine, too, but I swear I heard her sing in a weird accent during “Hit Em Up Style.”

Comment by darcy the slutty twin – February 16, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stephanie, Kree and Angela were my favorites last night. Not that Candice and Janelle did anything wrong, but you kind of expect them to do good, so it was nice to hear other people do good too. Because Kree is not getting completely pimped by producers like Janelle and Candice, I’m bound to root for her. I was really bummed Stephanie got cut over Rachel. I love the vulnerability in her voice, it was really beautiful. And boy oh boy, you gotta wonder how that Adam Sanders made it that far with a performance like that. And David Leathers Jr. getting cut was sad.

Comment by Mik – February 15, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How could they cut Charles Allen? He’s the bomb!

Comment by Favel Offman – February 15, 2013 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did not see him among the 8 cut, and it seemed, that the judges were also loving him. My guess is, that he had to leave because of some other reasons than singing, hopefully not anyway because of him not getting along so well with Frankie. I think he was one of the best among the guys.

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – February 15, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just listened the show again and I have to take some of my words back: Kree was simply deep and wondeful.

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – February 15, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who thinks Janelle Arthur is boring as hell? I don’t live in the US so I apologise in advance if this offends anyone but I personally loathe modern pop-country music, and Idol in recent years especially seems to glorify it. One of my favourites in the audition rounds was Taisha (rocker chick who sang Johnny Cash and Alanis), and yet we didn’t get a note of singing from her. Excited about Candice, Angie and Cortez (mostly because he sang Sunny in his final audition). Still on the fence about Zoanette; I enjoyed her at the drums, but I don’t know what to think about her singing. I would have cut Charlie and Curtis, and probably Lazaro as well (he has the Scott McIntyre factor: sweet guy, mediocre voice).

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 15, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Country music has a massive, loyal fan base in America. Some people prefer pop country, some prefer traditional country (like the song Janelle sang, Randy Travis’ “I Told You So”), and some prefer a more folksy, bluegrass country. There’s also “alternative country”, which is country that’s a bit edgier.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 15, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not every American likes Country music.

Comment by Leah – February 15, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Leah – please point out where I wrote every American likes Country music.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 18, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like her either. Very bland.

Comment by Leah – February 15, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way about country singers normally (and Janelle is no different). I seriously couldn’t make it through any of Tate Stevens performances on X Factor without hitting fast forward. My one exception was last year’s Skylar – SHE was not boring.

I don’t know what it is about country that people like so much. Maybe the simplicity of the music? I actually love to line dance but that is the only time I tolerate country. It’s just kind of a cultural thing in certain parts of the US, I think. People grow up listening to it and it becomes the norm.

(and for the record I live in Colorado)

Comment by Dayrah – February 16, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If I had my work ethic questioned by the vocal coach from hell like Melinda Ademi got in season 10, I would also be too scared to NOT be a favorite going into vegas.

Comment by Vetle – February 15, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I recall Melinda was the one Peggi Blu liked. Thia was the one whose arse Peggi wanted to bury on stage.

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 16, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it was the opposite. I believe she said so in an interview. Apparently she claimed that Melinda was chewing gum or something. :P

Comment by Vetle – February 16, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loving Keith Urban on this show and loved him even more last night with yet another great throwaway line: After he asks Zoanette the name of her song and she says “Ba Da Ba Da Dah,” Keith then mutters “Ah, the ‘T’ is silent.”

Comment by CJ – February 15, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVED that!!!

Comment by marie – February 15, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes, that got a chuckle out of me as well.

Comment by darcy's evil twin – February 15, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, here’s the thing with Zoanette: it’s not so much that she chose to do an original composition per se (I don’t think it can be called an actual SONG just yet), because Kez Ban also sang her own composition and put me to sleep. It’s that Zoanette pretty much pulled it off: that was an entertaining riff with the seeds of an actual song in there, and you can’t say she didn’t perform it with gusto and enthusiasm, if not with perceptible vocal greatness.
    And did you notice her at one point standing and cheering loudly at the end of another contestant’s performance (don’t remember whose)? And her humbly pointing heavenward when praised, as if to say, if I’m doing well, I’m being helped? And her overall sweetness and goofy self-deprecating demeanor? You look at her and maybe you’re tempted to think, Diva nutjob, but that’s not it at all: she’s nutty all right, but it’s an oddly refreshing kind of nuttiness, or at least that’s what I’m picking up.
    None of this is to say she’s a great singer, or even a good one; her audition had me shivering in horror. But her personality has engaged me – and more importantly, the hint of a real musician in there – and so I find myself unexpectedly willing to see her go further in the competition, at least for now.

Comment by marie – February 15, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 90% of the “SPARK” they see in Zoanette is that physically, she is a HOT MESS !!!

Her chose of close and makeup, and frankly, the things she can’t choose, like that face – are a disaster zone. They even got a closeup of her face on the bus while she was sleeping – the cameraman was studying it like she escaped from a grotesquerie. The interesting thing is that while most people would be cowed into the shadows with such an unfortunate physical combo, she almost seems PROUD of it. Staring out into the abyss of the gaping masses staring in horror and screaming – WHAT !!!!!!!!!!

THAT is her appeal. Entertaining canon fodder, in that respect she is far superior to Eben from last season that took the spot of the far more deserving David Leathers.

Comment by Ty – February 15, 2013 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • choice of clothes****

Comment by Ty – February 15, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To me, she is who she is, and I do not want to mock her personality, but to me only the national anthem in her audition was somewhat entertaining in the beginning. I find her singing unbearable to my ears. When Casey Abrams or Haley Reinhart were intentionally growling, and it mostly sounded great, I feel like Zoanette is growling unintentionally (and might even be unaware of it), and I do not find that growling “hot” stylish, soulful at all – it just sounds like strange and not inspiring growling, sorry.

Comment by Mikko Makitalo – February 15, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, I guess one thing is for sure, the producers evidently knew what they were doing when they (presumably) dictated that she remain on the show: she certainly has garnered attention, whether favorable or not! “Entertaining cannon fodder” – could be, in their eyes. We’ll see how long she lasts.!

Comment by marie – February 15, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shubha is in the Thia Megia Ghetto.

Comment by Brigette – February 15, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please no Colours of the Wind.
      (although I’d love to see a contestant or two do “Hakuna Matata”)

Comment by Trouty Mouth – February 16, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • One song, though? :p

I think she is a much better singer than Thia, at least. We’ll see if she hits the lives.

Comment by Vetle – February 16, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve missed too much of the season so far to really say but for now I’m going with:
    Angela, Melinda, Candice and Cristabel.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 15, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zonette. LOL. I just watched that back. Look, it’s a TV show. If everyone sang ballads and was well-behaved, I’d be bored to tears. Zonette is not going to win, but she is the most interesting female contestant as far as personality is concerned.She will provide some fun. Fun is good :)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – February 15, 2013 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK so like.. has Uncle Nigel been replaced by bodysnatchers? This year’s audition rounds, new judges, ORIGINAL SONGS!!!… Original Songs!!! and yes ORIGINAL SONGS!!!!!!!!…

The sob stories largely being handled pretty deftly as “information but not a free ride to vegas week”

Randy being ABSENT and leaving the group of new judges for at least part of hollywood week.

Slezak, I dunno what you sacrificed to the Altar of Nigel.. but whatever it is.. if Idol stays on track with this sort of production through the live shows (and nigel keeps the swaybots and the shoving of a random contestant they want to push, and Nikki keeps the other judges honest)

IF ALL of that happens, then Idol is back and ready to take on all comers..

Comment by Jabbathewocket – February 16, 2013 03:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are they editing Mariah out of the show? We know Nicki blew up at Mariah because she thought Mariah was talking too much, yet we almost never hear from Mariah in these shows. What gives?

Comment by Jess – February 16, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually agree with this. It would be nice to hear more from Mariah, who may have something of value to contribute. The show seems to be focusing on Nicki’s domineering personality. While I started off finding Nicki great, and fun, and refreshingly honest … I am now getting tired of her inconsistent critiques, and her need to dominate. Mariah is completely swallowed up by the editors of this show. She should get her fair share of critique-time.

Comment by deedee – February 16, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are they editing her out or does she just not have anything to offer beside an awkward “Dar-lin”. Definitely my least fav. judge.

Comment by Jessica – February 16, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They are editing her because the initial reports about the blow up stated Nicki was upset with Mariah for talking too much. You’d never know that from the shows.

Comment by Jess – February 17, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We also heard from Ryan and Nigel that Mariah had sung contestants to help them, yet we haven’t seen any of that either.

Comment by Jess – February 17, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s hard to tell at this point. Wait until the live shows.

Comment by HitTheGroundRunningWonderlandHaleyOhMy – February 16, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why doesn’t that Isabelle chick have a last name?
    I don’t think the one-name moniker really works with such a common name.

Comment by Dayrah – February 16, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think her full name is “Christina Isabelle Pasqualone”

Idol ratings slipped a little more again this week. The producers, judges, talent mentors and editors are going to have some wood to chop to get the show up to the 20 million viewer goal.

Comment by Guitar Blue – February 16, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Ariel Sprague? I was literally waiting all year ever since she got cut last year, and she didn’t even make it remotely closes as last year!!!

Comment by Griffin – February 17, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idology anyone?

Comment by Name That Tune – February 18, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah, i need my idology fix too. and i want a montage of keith urban’s zingers. i never thought i’d be a fan of his, but that “the T is silent” remark (in response to zonette’s Ba Da Ba Da Dah) made me love him. he is my favorite (judge/contestant/host/advertising partner/whatever) so far.

Comment by JenD – February 18, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why didn’t we see these Mariah comments?
    I want to use the “vortex” one in my daily life!

Comment by Jess – February 18, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally tonight they are showing the kinds of vocal instruction Mariah has been giving all along but was edited out!!

Comment by Jess – February 20, 2013 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post