Vampire Diaries' Joseph Morgan on Klaroline's 'Honest' Moment and Klaus' Mystic Falls Exit

Down the Rabbit HoleThe Vampire Diaries‘ Klaus may soon be on his way out of town (if the series’ spin-off The Originals gets picked up), but he’s not going quietly.

Before the hybrid even says goodbye to Mystic Falls, the Original will seek vengeance against Elena and her pals, finally get some action of the romantic kind (with Caroline?!) and bond with his siblings, his portrayer Joseph Morgan tells TVLine.

Read on for all that scoop, as well as the actor’s thoughts about why The Originals “has got to be a good thing” for fans of The Vampire Diaries.

RELATED | The CW Orders Early Renewals for Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow

TVLINE | That final scene between Caroline and Klaus in the last episode, did you read it as her being honest with him? Or was she manipulating him?
I thought she was being honest. As an actor, when you get a scene like that, you want to make the most interesting choice. I would assume that Candice [Accola], looking at that scene, would think the most interesting choice would be to play it as if she’s being honest, that she wishes she could forgive him for the things that he’s done. That just adds to the complexity of her character.

TVLINE | It was  a rare moment of vulnerability on both their parts. How does it change things between them?
It was. It evolves the relationship further. It’s interesting – the more time they spend together, he keeps messing things up and doing the most horrendous things and then slightly redeeming himself at the end of it. It’s just giving them more and more of a history and adding more weight to the relationship.

TVLINE | Is he going to try to be better for her? Or is he still hell-bent on destroying everyone in his sight?
You know that saying, “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”? I don’t know if he’s got it in him. He’s pretty stubborn. But you never know. He may be able to compromise a little bit, but I don’t think he’ll be able to reverse a thousand years of seeing the world one way.

TVLINE | Will Klaus ever get lucky in love? He has to be the most celibate vampire in Mystic Falls.
Yeah, he’s going to get some action.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Vampire Diaries and More!

TVLINE | I can only imagine how crazy he’s going being trapped in the Gilbert house. What kind of retaliation will he take when he finally gets out, especially against Elena?
He’s going to be pretty angry that he was trapped in that place. Also, angry with Tyler. Tyler, being there, taunting him the whole time isn’t helping at all. He’s going to be pretty furious with everyone involved… He’s going to be bringing some vengeance when he gets out of there.

TVLINE | What’s his first priority when he’s finally free?
I’d like to think it was something to do with seeing if Caroline meant those things she said. He’s very easy to affect in the present moment, so probably his first priority would be Tyler because Tyler was right there, insulting him. So that would be freshest in his mind. And then he’ll move on to the other people who put him where he was and all of that. They killed his brother, so there’s going to be a list — a Santa Klaus list of naughty children to deal with.

TVLINE | We saw that Kol was deathly afraid of Silas being raised, but what are Klaus’ feelings on Silas?
He’s trying to play his cards close to his chest at the moment. On the one hand, he can’t die… He’s got plenty of tricks up his sleeve. But he doesn’t know quite what to expect. The fear of the unknown is something we can all relate to a little bit. So until we know a little more about Silas, [Klaus is] playing it a little guarded. But he certainly doesn’t feel zealous like Kol became about it all. He’s a little more cocky and arrogant and full of himself than Kol was. He trusts himself a little more. He dealt with many, many things before. Nothing quite like this. But it’s going to be interesting when those two characters meet, if they should come face-to-face.

PHOTO | Exclusive Vampire Diaries First Look: Will Damon Make the Ultimate Sacrifice for Elena?

THE VAMPIRE DIARIESTVLINE | There’s only three Originals left – you, Rebekah and Elijah, who we know is coming back. In the face of their dwindling numbers, will that bond them to each other?
Absolutely. Those three were always the closest for me. We saw them together in their flashback after they buried their mother and their “always and forever” promise that they made to each other. That’s going to play a huge part in their lives now. Just seeing another one of their siblings go is going to bind them together, definitely.

TVLINE | And congrats on the possible spin-off. That’s a big deal.
Yeah. I’m very, very excited about it.

TVLINE | Does it feel like the pressure’s on? They want to make a whole show centered around your character.
It’s interesting because I’ve been playing this character for a while, almost a full two seasons now. So I feel like I’m doing something right. The character’s been received pretty well even though he’s incredibly flawed. I think that’s part of the reason he’s popular. So I don’t feel so much of the pressure. Also, I have my brother [played by Daniel Gillies] to share that pressure with. I don’t know. We’ll see. I’m just excited. There’s other stories to tell outside of Mystic Falls, and this is a chance to really expand that universe. It’ll be so interesting to play all the crossovers, as well, if they allow characters to move between [shows]. For the fandom, this is a huge thing because it’s going to introduce more and more characters into the world, make the whole thing a lot bigger and a lot more complex, which has got to be a good thing.

RELATED | Claire Holt Joins Vampire Diaries Spin-Off

TVLINE | What have you heard about his exit from Mystic Falls?
I’m waiting to find that out essentially. I know the bookends of that story. I know leading up to that point and I know after that point, but I don’t know what the crux is that sends him [to New Orleans]. I’ve got some ideas, and I feel it’s all tied up in the hunt for the cure and in Silas himself and all of that business.

TVLINE | What are you, personally, going to miss about Mystic Falls?
I’m not going to miss them all trying to kill me. It’s definitely nice to get away from that. But it really was the start of it for Klaus. And truly, I will miss all of the actors who I won’t work with so much doing this, provided it gets picked up. All of it — the crew and everything. It’s been a huge part of my life and utterly life-changing.

1. Autumn says:

Thanks for the interview. I Love Klaus. Him and the other Originals are my favorite character on The Vampire Diaries so I definitely hope the show gets picked up.

2. Maki says:

never liked him glad he is leaving VD! if I watch the new show it will be for E, R & H!

3. Babybop says:

I wonder who he’ll “get some action” with… I feel like the characters on this show just sleep with everybody. Ha ha.

4. Brenna says:

Thanks for the interview!! Klaroline is my guilty pleasure so love reading anything about them, hope they make it in the end :)

5. Ace says:

He’s lovely. I’m looking forward to seeing Klaus’s redemption story. Thanks for the interview, Vlada.

6. blanket says:

As a klaroline fan, this is all so bittersweet. The spin-off has the potential to be awesome with all of the incredible talent on it, but we want to know what happens with Caroline! Best case scenario is she jumps over as well because there is a lot of growth for her character there. Other two scenarios is she stays the torture bait on TVD forever…or dies. Neither of which is appealing.

7. mac says:

Never liked the character but Joseph seems to share my opinion on why he’s popular. He’s a great actor just stuck with a role that seems to run in circles, maybe the spin-off will give Klaus space to evolve. And when I say ‘evolve’ I DON’T mean him going into his ‘puppy state’.
    Well the spin-off is a sure watch for me thanks to Elijah anyway…

8. liliana says:

I don’t think Caroline is going to be part of the originals, don’t make any sense, people actually thinks Klaroline will be endgame?? LMAO! She is going to stay in TVD, she is there since the first season!

• Autumn says:

I don’t think she will go over either. But then again, in the Angel spinoff I never would have guessed that Cordelia would leave Buffy and actually work really well with the character of Angel.

• cas says:

Yeah but to be fair, Cordelia really wasn’t that close of friends with all of them. I mean nobody expected her to hang around and chat it up like old times. It made more sense that she left for LA because she always wanted to do bigger things. These are Caroline’s best friends so I don’t think she will leave. On a different note, I hope it gets picked up because I love the originals. They are all smoking hot and entertaining.

• hadiel says:

but they will finish high school and everyone has to choose different path so may be caroline will be apart of tvd but i think that will leave tvd with nothing no original no caroline

9. liz says:

I love Joseph but if the pilot is successful means not being on TVD and worst no more KLAROLINE : (

10. Nicole says:

Great interview :) Love Klaus & Klaroline <3

11. “Klaroline” does not even exist! She doesn’t like him! “Klaroline” fans ship something that doesn’t exist! Klaus and his bad boy attitude are just zzzzzzz. He kills, he drinks and nothing else. Boring. Rebekah = boring aswell. April = dumb and immature. I can’t stand them anymore!!!

12. lorna says:

First matt davis now joseph. Show jumped the shark by axing alaric. He was my fave.

13. britt says:

I thought the originals was supposed to be set in the past. Am I wrong?

14. Kim says:

I love Klaroline :) Excited to see more of them in upcoming episodes :D

15. Michael says:

I really enjoy Joseph Morgan. He isn’t a large, menacing brute. He’s lithe, slightly gaunt but still one scary mofo. I’m not sure how easy it will be to experience him as anything other than a villain and that concerns me a bit. He’s lost too much of his humanity and I can’t see him gaining it back suddenly so it will be very difficult to root for him in any capacity as the “hero” of his show. I’m hoping that Elijah will be the “moral” center of the show, not Klaus and I’m very curious as to how Haley is going to fit into this world.

16. Deska says:

I just wish Candice Accola can have the same chance to be the lead female role on The Originals.. If there is an actress who deserves the chance, it’s her.. and I just love the development of Klaus and Caroline’s relationship.. It’s got to be one of the most beautiful and tragic one.. wish both can save each other..

17. D says:

Joseph Morgan is the best actor on TVD. I love him :)

18. joina says:

i want candice accola to be the part of spinoff too…i really wish for it….klaroline shud be end game..cant stand klaus wid anyothr girl..plus caroline has not much of a good role in tvd..she is a awesome actor..her charcter will b explored more thr..plzzz writers cw network…dont do this to klaroline fanss..dont seperate our beloved couple..

19. Shuayb. says:

I’m glad in a way that they are getting a spin off… so it won’t be the original diaries anymore. They are an interesting bunch of people buuut TVD was way better in Seasons 1 and 2 when it was more about the introduction of Klaus and Elijah and the idea of the originals. I firmly believe if Kevin Williamson never ran off to do Scream and The Following we would have had a better season 3 & 4… Julie Plec has shown how she can just take something that was so amazing and thrilling and turn it into a real snooze fest…
    I really hope this show suceeds because Klaus, Rebekah and Elijah should not have to come back to Mystic fall…

• Tarc says:

The show wil be much better without such superpowerful characters on it. The originals should have come and gone with the one big plot, and by overstaying, the writing flaws are pretty irritating. The surviving original cast can get more screentime and get up to more interesting plots.

20. Tarc says:

The can’t get the Originals out of VD fast enough for me. I wouldn’t mind the occasional visit from Elijah (or even Rebeckah), but I thought that the one major plot was more than enough of the family. I’ve never been a fan at all of the way they write Klaus (I pretty much can’t stand it – he doesn’t behave anything like the way he should based on his setup). Nothing against the actor, but the writing of the character doesn’t ring even a bit true. There is already a large, inetresting cast, and lots of interesting things they can get up to, so I’d much rather see that on VD.

21. dude says:

Klaus ran his course, a spin-off is the only way to continue that character. Rebekah on the other hand, didn’t. So sad to see her go!

• Kirsty says:

I don;t think Klaus ran his course I just think his story has evolved too much about the same thing, his hyrbids and Caroline. I think Klaus is a very interesting character there is an evil side to him and a human side, It will be interesting to see the two in conflict with each other.

22. Cathy O. says:

Sad to see Rebekah go, would have enjoyed her and Stefan together. I also like the occasional visit from Elijah. But overall, I am glad they are getting their own show so maybe TVD can return to the way it was before the Originals took over.

• Kirsty says:

I don’t think it was the originals that made the show go down hill it was the fact they made it ALL about Elena. Even Klaus’ stories revolved mostly around her. The only time it wasn’t when it was family related.

The hybrid story line-ELENA
      The whole Killing Klaus story line-ELENA

I have nothing against Elena’s character but that’s how it’s been these last two seasons.

No one on the show got any of there own story lines that didn’t revolve around Elena and that made the show sink a little. I mean look at poor Matt.

I think Klaus was at his best when his family were involved the dynamic between the family. The antagonistic relationship with his father and mother. The back story which still has a lot of question marks.

I think the only thing that ruined his character along with Elijah’s, Rebekah, Kol’s and Finn’s

Is that there story was with Teenagers. These are supposed to be powerful vampires they need better story lines and competitions.

23. Elle says:

24. Elle says:

Hate to burst your bubbles lol but Caroline can’t switch over to the originals because its based in the past when she wouldn’t have known Klaus or even been alive for that matter… But I do hope they go further with the Klaus/Caroline relationship there is great tension and chemistry there!!!

25. Michelle says:

really really hoping for a klaroline crossover into the originals.

26. Jen says:

This is such a great interview. I tend to root for the bad guy, I don’t intend to it just always happens. With the character of Klaus it’s not just that he’s the underdog, of sorts, it’s the way Joseph Morgan plays him. He mentioned that in spite of Klaus being incredibly flawed and doing bad things he was so well received by so many fans. I thought how funny so many of us care for him. I wish that Caroline would in time follow Klaus to New Orleans and the Originals spin off she doesn’t have much to do in Mystic Falls and I can see her, similar to Angel’s Cordelia, wanting more than what she has now. True they may not have a romantic relationship but make no mistake Klaus and Caroline have an intimate relationship. She just isn’t taking love lightly and giving in with the idea of changing him or herself to be with him. I’d like to think that even if it never plays out on either show that somewhere way down the line they will cross paths and maybe then the timing will be right on both their parts and their history will serve to make their love epic. Silly maybe but for some reason the connection these two characters have speaks to me. I’m not a fanatic who thinks the characters are real just a fan who believes the message is real.

27. Megan says:

I honestly cannot get enough of Joseph Morgan’s character Klaus! He is so deviously threatening to other vampires, but in an instant so deliciously craved for Caroline’s love. And isn’t that every girls fantasy that the ultimate bad boy, out of any girl he could have, wants the one he just can’t seem to win over. I really wish they continue with Klaus and Caroline it’s my guilty pleasure!

28. Jelena says:

If you are excited about The Originals go like their FB page

29. Estella says:

With havin so much content do you ever run into any
    issues of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My site has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either authored myself or outsourced but it appears a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help reduce content from being stolen? I’d
    truly appreciate it.

30. Sanivia says:

Yeah,i wish klaroline could continue and develop into an epic love.I mean why shouldn’t klaus be a bad guy?Let him be and let Vampire Barbie fall in love with the Big Bad Original.You don’t have to have a good guy to look for.You can fall in love with someone dangerous and you can’t help that.Therd have to be fire in rain.

31. Sarah says:

It sounded on Plec that if the spin off get picked up, there will be no more Klaroline! I need klaroline, so I can’t Watch the spin off if that means there will be no more Caroline & Klaus moments, they are the only reason to Watch the show.

32. ela says:

It’s really rare catching two players having such a chemistry inbetween on screen esp. when the original storyline and the production had no intention to bring their characters together at all first. But once they started they saw the magic and they couldn’t help but put them together as much as they could.Now they can’t either take Caroline from tvd for the sake of another show this early,cause it already lost so much blood,or leave Klaus there since he started overshadowing the rest. I guess what they need is a character to be introduced to TVD,like Camille instead of Caroline and take Caroline to the Originals instead of her.