ABC Banishes Happy Endings to Fridays

ADAM PALLY, ELISHA CUTHBERT, CASEY WILSON, DAMON WAYANS JR., ELIZA COUPEHappy news it’s not: ABC is exiling Happy Endings from Tuesdays to Fridays beginning in March, the network announced very late Wednesday.

ABC’s revised Tuesday schedule (which bows on Feb. 26) will consist of Celebrity Wife Swap at 8/7c leading into The Taste at 9/8c.

RELATED | TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard: What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s Coming Back? What’s on the Bubble?

Happy Endings, which aired its final Tuesday episode last week, makes its Friday debut on March 29, airing back-to-back original episodes from 8-9 pm. (The current Friday-night comedy block of Last Man Standing and Malibu County will have finished their seasons prior to the Happy takeover.)

On the bright side for Happy Endings fans, at least ABC is allowing the ratings-challenged comedy to finish out its season. The same can’t be said for the show’s former Tuesday companion, Don’t Trust the B—- in Apt. 23.

• ScrubsGuy says:

You got that right.

• Brandon says:

Seriously, this show is absolutely hilarious. It would have just done fine staying on Wednesday nights. I don’t get it.

• Jesse says:

Thank You finally some else gets it. Happy Endings was so perfect on Wednesdays. Then u move it to Tuesdays? Makes no sense at all. It did decent to good ratings on Wed. It bugs me also that ABC says it likes the show, but yet moves it to 3 different days within almost a month. How is that support? It needs to go back to Wed. Get rid of that stupid show The Neighbors. I hate that show. I will be so mad, that a show like Neighbors which tons off critics trashed that show for being so awful gets a 2nd season, but Happy Endings which critics like gets cancelled. ABC is getting to be like NBC with Community. Its just dumb.

• Tammy says:

I agree. Bring back Happy Endings. I love the show. I hate it when networks change shows to different nights. How is a fan suppose to keep up !!!! I never know if show is off for the season, or not on because of a special. Bring back Happy Endings. No more reality shows – please!!!!!

• Fan says:

It is so true. I hope Abc Looks at this over view or this channel with go to a down fall. I stopped watching Nbc after they cancelled the Playboy club, without a statisfying ending. Abc is doing the same thing by ending so many shows for no reason. Happy Endings is a great show, I love it and its better then the Neighbors which looks like a cheap low budgit show. By the way abc is not doing so good in any of their shows please look at this shows get cancelled when they hit 6.0 ratings on abc. Look at the Scale.
          Suburgatory: 5.89
          The Neighbors: 6:29
          Body of proof: 6.75
          Zero Hour: 5.39
          Happy Endings: 2.85
          Malibu Country: 5.05
          Last man Standing: 6.01
          Nashville: 5.74
          Revenge: 5.99
          This is the ratings of the shows on the bubble getting near cancellation.
          Look at the once’s that are “supposedly” doing good for abc.
          Scandal: 7.68 wow the first season was less but still survived the ax.
          Once Upon a time: 7.61 The number one fantasy which i love is not looking so well.
          The Middle: 8.17 Ok but last week which was feb, 13 it had a 7.72 it can go back to that soon.
          Greys Anatomy: 8.75 The number one medical drama has droped to it all time lowest Ratings. It was like 23.0 rating in season one has the years gone its decreasing dramaticly. it always had 10 and 9.0 ratings but never an 8.0 and so close to a 7.0.
          Castle: 9.85 this show is the only one that is staying in 10 and 9.0 ratings doing well.
          Modern Family:10.57 This is the number one show and its abcs life saver.

Now looking at this, if abc was to cancel there great shows like Greys, Castle, Modern Family, Once upon a time, The Middle, and Scandal, they would have to cancel all of the shows above.
          Even the good shows are low because last season these shows doubled in ratings but unfortunately its been a bad year for all series. even the Nbc and cbs and fox. ratings are low get the point channels people work and have i pads and ext. therefore we don’t watch on tv no more. look me and many others watch Once upon a time on our nooks and i pads but the ratings are not gathered from ipads or electronics they are gathered whether you watch tv on the live day that its scheduled to air on tv. Its a new era and ofcourse the shows wont be watched on tv as much as on other devices.

The channels should just stop making shows if they are going to keep cancelling like crazy.
          Look and there are shows that get cancelled because there is a little stupid story line. these shows i call one seasoners but they dont have a long term goal.
          Like Castle and greys and Body of proof, and Scandal are different cases all the time. therefore there is a possibility that they can last like 20 seasons like CSI and law and order people like this to have a show that you learn and at the end of the hour the case is solved.

Missing was about a mom finding her son the end should have been finding him and happily ever after but instead they made it appear she was missing. ok. now season two is looking for his mom but. abc, now what in season three will the dad end up missing. and season four the sister. look its a dead end to this show no matter how you put it. If the show was about spy’s finding different people the show would have had million of cases and realistic cases people would enjoy.
          leave the missing son and or daughter stuff for movies like taken such a success! but its for a movie not a series.

Now that i understand the shows that do last and don’t I understand that
          Last resort
          GCB
          Missing
          The River
          666 park avenue
          Pam Ann
          will certainly get cancelled next comes Zero Hour, and in like two years Revenge is stuck because First season it was about Amanda C larks Father and she got her vengeance! a one seasoner because season two its about taking vengeance on the Mother of this girl. what is season three about? the lost sister or brother or cousin or friend. look its going to get old the best thing would be to end the show on season three just to ended all and make a happy ending with a concluded end like Emily Thorn’s wedding with one of the men she loved.

Now Comedies or just comedies for me not suspenseful shows, you can never go wrong with them but they don’t addict you. great job in the comedies abc.

I love once once a time, if i knew i should have never got so involved because its great but, the spell is over unless the season three gets better because season two was to predictable because now we know what will happen everyone knew that Cora was the Queen of hearts before the show aired, that’s not good. Last season we thought that Pinocchio was Henry father and we thought it could have been Bae but it wasn’t and we were intrigued to know where was bae and what a suspenseful journey for an season two but the show airs the episode where we see Emma being pregnant by the new man who appears in the beginning and we find out he is Henry’s Father. As well as to the fact that he sees the briefcase that Pinocchio had and believed in the curse! of-course if he wasn’t encountered with magic and a normal person he would have left and not believed like Emma did in season one that gave it all away and unless the writers see this and fix it Season two is the end of Once upon a time. The Manhattan Episode should have aired before that episode five where we saw Henry’s dad look into the briefcase because that gave it away. i haven’t been surprised in any thing this season, like in the first. so sad.Please if it services for a third season make Once upon a time back to greatness. I still love it but less predictable. I was hoping for another man to be Bae because I would have been surprised but it happened as everyone thought. look what is done is done because i love the fact that Bae is Henry’s father but don’t do the same mistake again or the show will be cancelled and the spell will break but on the viewers like its happening already.

Please read this Abc because these are great shows its just that we are not thinking it through before making an episode that can give the ending or the approaching all away.

Now, season three should be more future fairy tales or making them get back to there land but the series should have only four seasons and happily ever after if you guys cant think of more ideas. so that viewers can have a satisfactory ending. Now, The reason why is because season two should have been more like Discovering Bae then discovering him to be Henry’s father. they should have all find the way back to the fairy tale land. season three, the fairy tale land and season four, the final battle between Evil and good and the end. this is because the curse was broken in season one. If the curse would have been broken in the upcoming seasons then the series would have been able to survive for like 50 seasons.

But, I love it so its good still. maybe the writers have something under their sleeve I hope.

These is just an insight to reality and this is more directly to the writers and abc to see so I can help them understand the viewers point of view or at least finish shows with a great ending that can make the show a classic that we can see over and over again and still love it. But if the show is cancelled and not finished with a conclusion or a good conclusion at least why buy the dvd. or even watch the shows.

• Daniel says:

So Happy Endings ratings is 2.85 as compared to shows “on the bubble” , with none of which have ratings below 5.0. I’d say it’s gone. I watched the first season as an Elisha Cuthbert fan, as many others did. The more they diminished her role, the worse the ratings got. Go figure….

• Not A Fan says:

Great spelling and grammar. Maybe people would take you seriously if you learned how to write.

• Marty Theis says:

Yes, I agree! They should have left it on Wednesdays or even Tuesdays! I LOVE This Show!

• The Beach says:

So they are replacing a funny, clever show with a wife swap and cooking show….typical.

• Cole says:

That’s the most depressing part: that Celebrity Wife Swap is not only an actual show, but one that’s considered a safer bet than a great show like Happy Endings. TBS to the rescue???

• Jackie says:

The problem is, they don’t necessarily need it to get better ratings they just need it to be cheaper. Which I’m sure it is. *sigh* Stupid reality shows!

• Keep this show says:

I am just glad its not cancelled!! I will watch it on any night no matter where they move it!! Please dont cancel this show…It is the new Friends just give it a chance

1. *BIG disappointed sigh* stupid abc…

• Superhero says:

I don’t see how you can say this is stupid of them. They’ve given the show every possible chance, and it just hasn’t performed. I’m not a huge fan of it, so maybe I can just look at this from an unbiased angle, but I really don’t see how anybody can blame ABC. Best thing to do now is pray that it gets the Cougar Town treatment.

• misha says:

really every possible chance to perform? Going from Tuesday nights to Sunday and Tuesday Nights to (at least from what I understand) just Friday nights in a span of 2 weeks is not going to do a show any favors. As someone who regularly watches the show, I’ve had a hard time keeping track of when new episodes are, I doubt casual watches of the show would be able to keep track of it

• Rrrrrr says:

Yes every possible chance. They kept it on for three years even though it has been a constant underperformer, put it behind two of the networks most popular shows, and did their best with it. People who say that they should have out it in Wednesday are ludicrous because ABC isn’t going to be moving around shows that are ACTUALLY watched to try and save a struggling comedy. Give it up, ABC did their best.

• Happy Endings was moved to Tuesday because ABC thought it would be able to anchor a Tuesday comedy night (along with Don’t Trust the B) the way Modern Family does on Wednesdays. Mediocre shows like Suburgatory and the unbelievably horrible The Neighbors are getting season renewals b/c they get MF follow-up watches. When MF & HE were back-to-back on Wednesday’s last year, that was hand’s down the best comedy block on TV all week.

• Superhero says:

It began the season airing on Tuesdays. People weren’t watching it. They tried airing some episodes on Sundays to see if it did any better. People weren’t watching it. This is after giving it the post-Modern Family timeslot. They tried to get people to watch it. People didn’t watch it. It sucks that network television operates this way, but that’s just the way things work. ABC can’t be blamed for it.

2. Mike says:

Noooo!!!!

3. Sandy says:

Reminds me of what happened to Fringe

• sonya says:

Except with Fringe, FOX at least kept it going for 2.5 more seasons AND it was wrapped up properly. I doubt this will be the case with Happy Endings. :/

4. Chris says:

not totally unexpected but it sucks. The new lineup sounds really terrible though.

5. taran63 says:

Celebrities have been swapping wives just fine on their own for years. Do they really need their own show to do that?

6. oh this is not good news at all..Friday nites are sometimes death for shows..i have a sinking feeling that Happy Endings will be cancelled for the next season. I hope im so wrong.

7. david says:

BOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. This is why we can’t have nice things!!!!

9. Tiera says:

I’m just happy Happy Endings is still on the schedule!! It’s better than the B- in apartment 23

10. INA says:

OHHHHHHH ABC I’M SO GONNA KICK YOUR ARSE

11. jasie says:

Seems like they could pair this with the new Sarah Chalke. how to live with your parent for the rest of your life. Seemed like the humor was about the same.

• Ethan says:

I just thought that today! The episodes of Happy Endings have been really funny lately. It’s a shame people haven’t seen them.

• B says:

I actually gave up after the first few episodes this season…it just didn’t grab me like the first season did (and to a lesser extent Season 2 as well). Sounds like I’ve missed an improvement?

12. Dan says:

So, let’s be very clear here: they’re moving one of the best comedies out there to Friday so they can air, ahem, Celebrity Wife Swap and then something called The Taste on that day.

Yeah, always the wise decision.

• Lauren says:

That’s the insulting part isn’t it? They really think this trashy reality show will do better. I hope it goes down in flames.

• Alex says:

Thing is (well I think) that it isn’t truly abc’s fault, is it?, I mean I love the show, and I watch every time it is on, but the truth is that if people watched the show it wouldn’t be on fridays, would it?, we’ve turned into a world of reality tv loving zombies, I mean jearsy shore had like 30 seasons, how in the world did that happen?,because eventhough people trashed it they still watched, I mean I remember having read 8 million souls watched the 3rd season finale or premiere, I don’t remember which, 8 million people, 8 million, so you tell me whose fault it truly is, abc’s or ours?, I mean people’s, not us of course, we watch it all the time!, hahaha

13. Tran says:

If Happy Endings gets canceled, it will be a “sad ending” for ABC. :-(

14. Ella B. says:

DAMNIT! this is not a show that deserves the death slot!

15. trev says:

Why do they keep messing with their schedule? Tuesdays, Sundays, Tuesday and Sundays, now Fridays. ugh… They should’ve just left it on Wednesdays after Modern Family.

• cjeffery7 says:

that’s definitely what’s been hurting the ratings this season, the spastic airings, and against a REALLY tough tuesday line-up – Zooey Deschanel and Matthew Perry a.k.a. Chandler Bing?? plus that’s 3 comedies vying for ratings in the same half hour (hour, really). it’s a good show. it just doesn’t have a very good pairing, maybe suburgatory, but that’s nestled in quite nicely with modern family which i’m sure ABC is reluctant to make any change to.

16. gxv says:

Ugh this sucks. I’ve come to love Happy Endings, and I feel like moving it to Fridays is a preemptive cancellation :(

17. Don’t they have two other sitcoms on Friday’s already? Maybe they are attempting to make a new TGIF.

• Andy says:

• Mikael says:

Well LMS and MC do ok on Fridays, but they are more “family friendly” than Happy Endings, the ratings could go either way. Happy Endings is so underrated just like Cougar Town was (and still is, but at least TBS gave it a chance and it’s doing well for a cable sitcom)

18. Britney says:

Well, at least they’re airing the remaining episodes, unlike Apartment 23?

19. Monica says:

Boo ABC-support this show! It is too good and hilarious to be cancelled.

• Wendy says:

I loveeee this show. It’s hilarious. I don’t know why more people don’t watch it! I hope don’t cancel it, it’s one if the shows I actually looked forward to watching. But at least it’s just moved and not cancelled I was starting to get worried.

20. Ella says:

Noooooo! I LOVE this show. I don’t understand why New Girl gets so many accolades and this doesn’t, it’s far superior and doesn’t solely rely on sexual innuendo for its jokes. I seriously hope ABC renews it or someone else rescues it.

• Archie says:

I so agree! I watch both New Girl and Happy Endings, and Happy Endings is far superior to New Girl, and with not as much sexual innuendo. I really hope that we get a new season!

• lara says:

You’re kidding, right? I’m a fan of both shows, but Happy Endings consistently pushes the envelope with its sexual jokes. They are much dirtier and crass than New Girl. “Three Hole punch” and “Not that kind of job” come immediately to mind, but they’ve done worse.

• scooby says:

Sorry folks, “far superior” it ain’t. You just like it more. Nothing wrong with that because it’s your personal preference, but this about being territorial. If Happy Endings got the same ratings as New Girl, you wouldn’t be nearly as threatened and probably wouldn’t be putting it down. People watch New Girl because it’s really funny. ABC would know if people are DVRing Happy Endings just because it’s in New Girl/Go On’s slot because that data is collected. That’s maybe why it’s getting the chance it’s getting on Fridays. Who knows, maybe it’ll pick up. Telling New Girl fans their show’s overrated isn’t gonna get you new viewers.

21. MalTru says:

A$$hats.

22. PutAForkInIt says:

Well, I watched this show off and on.
    And it was good enough.
    But the ratings weren’t there.
    RIP, Happy Endings.
    You’re getting cancelled.

23. Morgan says:

I wouldn’t be as upset if they weren’t replacing it with Celebrity Wife Swap. Gag me with a chainsaw.

24. CharlieS says:

another stuff up well done ABC ‘Slow Clap’

it would be great if they would air the remaining episodes of apartment 23 to Friday with ‘Happy Endings’

25. Eric says:

I’m trying to remain composed. But my insides are crying small rivers. This is heartbreaking news. I’m not particularly religious, but I’ll be praying for you, Happy Endings!

26. Fabe says:

Well, although I wish it would run for as long as dumb Two and a Half Men, I hope that the creators at least worked out a nice closing episode for the show.

27. Eliza says:

Like everyone else, I think this is an insanely stupid move. I grew to love H. E. ABC always screws their best shows. Shameful

28. Eric says:

Well, you know…it WAS up against New Girl and Go On, two pretty successful comedies. Maybe it will flourish on Fridays, where comedy fans don’t have all that much selection. While I don’t have all that much hope, I’m trying to remain optimistic.

29. Mel says:

I don’t know what I’ll do if this show gets cancelled. It’s my favorite show on tv by far. I’ll be devastated if ABC cancells it.

30. YowzaPowza says:

ABC is actually deciding to air Celebrity Wife Swap instead of Happy Endings…no words. Further proof that every good show in the next few years will be on cable.

31. MariaPompeo says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

32. Lana says:

This sucks balls.

33. Juan says:

Very sad, I love happy endings, this sooooks

• Brandon says:

LOL I love the Penny reference you made there. But yes, it sucks (or sooooks) that Happy Endings is being banished to Fridays. If ABC cancels it (and it seems like that will be the case), I hope TBS picks it up like they did with Cougar Town, because it is my favorite sitcom on TV, by far.

34. schu says:

This is NOT a happy valentine from you Michael. Although I’ve appreciated how much tvline has tried to be a champion for this show. It is THE best, I’m very disappointed in this news, but at least it is going to be able to finish out the season. I hope the cast can keep their spirits up, such a great group they are :)

35. Mark says:

Maybe it’ll do well in Friday. LMS and Malibu County do well.

36. Julian f says:

Idk maybe if they had more star power.. New girl only survives because of Zooey deschanel.. I like both shows but happy endings is so much more funnier.. I don’t know how this show isn’t pulling in the ratings but moving it to Friday is terrible! I’m so saddened by this.. So maybe if we just get all of our Facebook and twitter friends to watch on Fridays maybe they’ll give them another shot next season with a better time slot

• scooby says:

No, New Girl survives because it’s a great show. Max aka “Schmidt” got an Emmy nomination for his work which is always funny. Everybody in the cast can say the same. No need to tear another show down. I tried to watch Happy Endings early on and it was pleasant but not enough to make it must see. I checked in later and it seemed to have gotten better, but still, I don’t have time to keep up with it. If New Girl wasn’t on, I’d probably be watching Go On because I enjoy Matthew Perry. Casey Wilson deserves success so I hope that either Happy Endings gains traction or something else works out for her.

• lara says:

Thank you! I’m so tired of New Girl being the “undeserving” show. Zoeey Deschanel and Max Greenfield are both Emmy-nominated actors, for a reason. The other cast members, particularly Jake Johnson, are also amazing. I think that New Girl and Go On both make you care about the characters, something that Happy Endings hasn’t really made me do. It has kind of a smug “snarkiness” and extreme quirkiness that not everyone is going to love. Also, they drop and/or rush through story lines like nobody’s business (Penny/Dave, Penny getting engaged, etc). I like it, but let’s not pretend that it’s a perfect show and that ABC hasn’t given it a lot of opportunities.

• J says:

In my opinion people started watching the show for Zoey Deschanel but keep watching the show for Max Greenfield. Maybe its just me but for me Max Greenfield both makes and saves the show. I find Zoey Deschanel incredibly annoying as Jess and have never really gotten into the Nick character

• lara says:

If that was true, there wouldn’t have been SUCH a huge reaction to the Jess/Nick kiss. I do think that Max Greenfield is the best thing on the show, and that Jess’s annoying-ness got toned down a lot this season. Last year, she was just embarrassing, but this year she is actually believably quirky.

37. Julie G says:

Well, life goes on. They cancel shows all the time. I watched Happy Endings since the very first episode. I liked it but I really won’t miss it. There were shows I loved and they were cancelled. It sucks. But you really can’t blame the network for it. If the show is not doing well, it’s not ABC. It’s people that just don’t like it. And as a result, it gets cancelled.

38. Mike says:

This is heartbreaking, Happy Eding has become one of my favorite shows. It’s safe to say this is not the amahzing, and makes a bad February for the third year of Penny.

39. stephag says:

Can someone please explain to me why networks keep putting decent shows on Fridays when there is a dry desert of awful programming on Wednesdays? People are home on Wednesdays, and most are not on Fridays! This seems obvious to me, but maybe there is a logical TV explanation?

• Jay says:

The license fees are lower on fridays. The reason is obvious, as you’ve just explained, but the networks think they can have a hit playing to niche audiences. On wednesdays they go for mass appeal, which the seem to think means endless singing competition. This is how the CW got their biggest hit ever with Arrow, a DC comics show (niche audience)!

40. Mike says:

On the bright side maybe they can give it a nice ending, have Penny and Pete get married, give a nice glimpse of a future for Dave and Alex, maybe fly in Grant for Max, and maybe do something nice for Brad and Jane. Give it a nice ending and maybe it will become a cult hit one day, it sure deserves to.

41. D'Arcy says:

F YOU ABC IF YOU CANCEL THIS SHOW.

42. anil says:

Im glad i decided NOT to start watching this show this season because i saw that it came this far and thought it would be safe to get hooked on it. Thank god I backed out. You can never watch anything on ABC.

43. Britta Unfiltered says:

[Sigh.] That’s sad. It’s so difficult to find comedies I like that will also have the opportunity to be on the air long-term. I just can’t do popular shows like Two and a Half Men. I just…I can’t.

44. Patrick says:

Fox should pick it up and pair it with new girl. Total hit!

45. Polly says:

Sooooo next season Coach might come back on New Girl?

46. Yet another show that was messed around with so much, and then took all the blame. ABC is sending it to Friday to Die. But their current line up is doing pretty decent, maybe it will have a ratings surge and get renewed at the last minute.

47. Bernie says:

This is a bad idea, this show is so funny. I hate abc for doing this

48. cjeffery7 says:

it’s a damn good show, but it doesnt really have a good comedy pairing on ABC. and it’s up against two powerhouses – Zooey Deschanel and New Girl, as well as Matthew Perry a.k.a. Chandler Bing in a show that is basically Community but less niche. that’s a full half hour (hour, really) of situational comedies fighting for virtually the same audience. then they keep changing the day of the week it airs, trying to lure in more viewers and build an audience, but it’s friggin hard when you keep changing what day of the week it’s on! maybe by june Happy Endings will have aired on all 7 days of the week! that’s gotta be some kind of record, right?