Nashville Video: Freezing Onstage, Drunkenly Dancing With Liam – Is Rayna Losing Her Mind?

Get More: First Look, Video

Is the First Lady of Nashville having a crisis?

These clips from this week’s episode of Nashville (ABC, Wednesday 10/9c) sure make it look like Rayna’s in the middle of a tough time.

RELATED | PaleyFest 2013 Line-Up Revealed: Walking DeadCommunityNashville, Parenthood and More

First, the reigning queen of country music freezes on stage and misses a cue — something both Deacon and Juliette note is way out of character for the seasoned performer.

Then she throws back shots with Liam, with whom she flirts, two-steps and gets dangerously cozy — considering she’s got a maybe-soon-to-be-ex husband at home and a soulmate on the side.

Press PLAY on the videos below, then hit the comments: Is Rayna’s flirtation with Liam harmless fun or just another complication she doesn’t need?

Loading video...
Loading video...

Tags: ,

Comments (31)

• I honestly think Rayna is one of the worst characters on TV and it’s such a shame that someone as talented and amazing as Connie Britton is getting saddled with such an awful character. The audience is constantly being told that she’s this consummate professional and great, mature person but she’s a child. She throws a hissyfit whenever life doesn’t go her way and she constantly engages in petty fights with a girl half her age not to mention the fact she’s treated every romantic prospect she’s had like dirt under her shoe. That kind of behaviour is expected from Juliette but they really should strive for better from Rayna.

Comment by dude – February 12, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely Agree!! I was just thinking that the other day. I love Connie Britton and Nashville, but hate Rayna.

Comment by DK – February 12, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you!! I thought that I was the only other one that thought this!

Comment by V – February 12, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • … and this is why a show many of us want to love is so…. frustrating. What the network TV folk don’t seem to understand is that the key to successful TV dramas is that you are basically supposed to love almost every character (including most of the villains). On Nashville, the character we are supposed to love the most, we most want to hit with a 2 x 4.

Comment by Mark – February 12, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Word.

Comment by Dane – February 12, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m more interested in the Scarlet/Gunner storyline than either of the two leads. I just love when they sing together.

Comment by Crystal – February 12, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Patience. Its called character development.

Comment by James – February 13, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry I disagree.

Comment by Joanne – April 14, 2013 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t wait!!!

Comment by Elyse – February 12, 2013 08:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, didn’t expect that in the first sneak peek -__- and I wanted to throw up while I’m watched the second one (is she forget why she fired him?) I just don’t like them being romantically involved, especially because I think Liam has WAY BETTER chemistry with Juliette and much more fun.

Comment by Lily – February 12, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m Team Deacon but…I wouldn’t mind a minor detour on the way to Deacon and Rayna’s reunion. I think Rayna and Liam have great chemistry and I’m sure Rayna doesn’t want anything significant with him.. just a bit of fun. You can feel the sexual tension between them. Maybe it would be good for her to get that out of her system before working on things with Deacon.

Comment by Kathryn – February 12, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. Liam is hot. And Rayna hasn’t had sex with ANYONE since the show started I don’t think. Let her have a fling before she gets busy locking Deacon down.

Comment by Cole – February 12, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup he’s definitely a quick rebound. She didn’t go to Deacon because she doesn’t want to feel. She wants fun with no strings attached.

Comment by baglesvswaffles – February 12, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I actually like Liam better than either Teddy or Deacon so I’m in favor of any kind of hook up with Rayna. Rebound or not. ;)

Comment by Michelle – February 12, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too! I think Rayna and Liam have the best chemistry together. I’m glad the show’s going to explore it no matter how briefly it may or may not be.

Comment by Susan – February 12, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed! I feel like rayna has the best chemistry with liam and I love their scenes together

Comment by J – February 12, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing. She needs a break from serious.

Comment by Joanne – April 14, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT? Why would Rayna’s character get hate?If it was Juliet, I’d understand but Rayna? Why? She’ far from being a mess of a character.

Comment by anil – February 12, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so here for Rayna and Sonny hooking up. He’s kind of awful, but all the dudes on this show are so mopey, it’s a relief to see someone actually smile.

Comment by Viv – February 12, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF is that? She can be finally with the man she want since 12 years and she hookup with somebody else? What is wrong with her? Is she stupid or what?

Comment by Angel ☆ (@Angeliiiiique) – February 12, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think Rayna is unlikable, but I do think that as a character, she is very guarded. Somehow, even when she’s angry, I feel like she’s holding back. Now, that may be an acting decision by Britton, a writing/directing decision, or maybe some of both… but the problem is, her character is being overshadowed by the others. I’m glad her character is finally letting her hair down a bit… that final elevator scene with Deacon made my knees go weak. I really enjoy this show and hope they can do whatever is necessary to save it.

Comment by Jinq2 – February 12, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! I love Rayna! I think there is something very deep about her character and I like that. There’s a lot of family background that we don’t know a whole lot about and I think that tells a lot about her character and the decisions she has made. I am really looking forward to what develops between her and Deacon… :)

Comment by Christine – February 12, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t stand Connie Britton. She is completely mis-cast in this otherwise top notch show. Love the music. Love the storylines. Love all the other characters and the talent who play them. But can’t stand Connie Britton. A country singer?? Really?? And what a whiner. She whined her way through Friday Night Lights and her she is again. Whining and arguing and pitching fits all the time. What a drama queen. It’s her. Not the part she’s playing. I really like the show but cringe at the scenes with Britton in them. Any way to recast her part?????

Comment by TJ – February 12, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Connie Britton and I resent what you said about her. I love this show and it’s because of Deacon and Rayna. I love Juliette and Scarlett and the guys they are with. I just flat out LOVE this show. I’m hoping it stays on. I read in TV Guide today that they are going to keep it. I just hope that’s true.

Comment by margaretames – February 13, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And, I have a Nashville chat room on CafeMom for anyone who wants to chat about the show. I love it and hope it stays on…

Comment by margaretames – February 13, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too! I love this show and all it’s characters. Music, story line, etc.

Comment by Joanne – April 14, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Rayna, she makes the show can’t imagine someone not liking her, she’s perfect for this part and so want to see her with Deacon. Hope he doesn’t hate her about Maddy.

Comment by Kay Mullins – February 13, 2013 04:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the show 100% I hope it continues for another season. I cant wait for Wednesday night to come. So I can watch it.

Comment by Mike – March 17, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes I thought that also.

Comment by Joanne – April 14, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE Nashville. This is a huge surprise for me as I’m not traditionally a country music fan, nor am I commonly drawn to shows about the South. I also wasn’t a huge fan of Friday Night Lights. However, I’ve been fond of Connie Britton since her days on Spin City. Overall, I really haven’t been disappointed with the show at all. I’ve enjoyed the character development and plot twists. I’ve been happily surprised with even the frustrating twists. Still, I adore Deacon and cannot wait to see Rayna and Deke together. I’m sure there will be plenty of teases between here and there though. I doubt Ray will want to jump into anything for a while until she works through the divorce. Regarding how she’s “holding back” I think this is deliberate, as it reflects where Ray is or has been in her life up until this point. She’s had to contain herself to withstand her loveless marriage and keeping her family together has meant she has had to put her authentic self on a shelf. This is all about to change though. I predict she’s about to come truly unhinged. This will probably play out for several episodes until she circles back and figures out who she has become. Just remember Khouri also did Thelma and Louise — she’s all about strong women evolving and finding their voice. Finally a show on TV that is interested in real women’s transformation!!

Comment by Haely Cina – February 15, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post