Nashville Video: Freezing Onstage, Drunkenly Dancing With Liam – Is Rayna Losing Her Mind?

Is the First Lady of Nashville having a crisis?

These clips from this week’s episode of Nashville (ABC, Wednesday 10/9c) sure make it look like Rayna’s in the middle of a tough time.

RELATED | PaleyFest 2013 Line-Up Revealed: Walking DeadCommunityNashville, Parenthood and More

First, the reigning queen of country music freezes on stage and misses a cue — something both Deacon and Juliette note is way out of character for the seasoned performer.

Then she throws back shots with Liam, with whom she flirts, two-steps and gets dangerously cozy — considering she’s got a maybe-soon-to-be-ex husband at home and a soulmate on the side.

Press PLAY on the videos below, then hit the comments: Is Rayna’s flirtation with Liam harmless fun or just another complication she doesn’t need?

Loading video...
Loading video...

1. dude says:

I honestly think Rayna is one of the worst characters on TV and it’s such a shame that someone as talented and amazing as Connie Britton is getting saddled with such an awful character. The audience is constantly being told that she’s this consummate professional and great, mature person but she’s a child. She throws a hissyfit whenever life doesn’t go her way and she constantly engages in petty fights with a girl half her age not to mention the fact she’s treated every romantic prospect she’s had like dirt under her shoe. That kind of behaviour is expected from Juliette but they really should strive for better from Rayna.

2. Elyse says:

can’t wait!!!

3. Lily says:

Ugh, didn’t expect that in the first sneak peek -__- and I wanted to throw up while I’m watched the second one (is she forget why she fired him?) I just don’t like them being romantically involved, especially because I think Liam has WAY BETTER chemistry with Juliette and much more fun.

4. Kathryn says:

I’m Team Deacon but…I wouldn’t mind a minor detour on the way to Deacon and Rayna’s reunion. I think Rayna and Liam have great chemistry and I’m sure Rayna doesn’t want anything significant with him.. just a bit of fun. You can feel the sexual tension between them. Maybe it would be good for her to get that out of her system before working on things with Deacon.

5. anil says:

WHAT? Why would Rayna’s character get hate?If it was Juliet, I’d understand but Rayna? Why? She’ far from being a mess of a character.

6. Viv says:

I am so here for Rayna and Sonny hooking up. He’s kind of awful, but all the dudes on this show are so mopey, it’s a relief to see someone actually smile.

7. WTF is that? She can be finally with the man she want since 12 years and she hookup with somebody else? What is wrong with her? Is she stupid or what?

8. Jinq2 says:

I don’t think Rayna is unlikable, but I do think that as a character, she is very guarded. Somehow, even when she’s angry, I feel like she’s holding back. Now, that may be an acting decision by Britton, a writing/directing decision, or maybe some of both… but the problem is, her character is being overshadowed by the others. I’m glad her character is finally letting her hair down a bit… that final elevator scene with Deacon made my knees go weak. I really enjoy this show and hope they can do whatever is necessary to save it.

• Christine says:

I totally agree! I love Rayna! I think there is something very deep about her character and I like that. There’s a lot of family background that we don’t know a whole lot about and I think that tells a lot about her character and the decisions she has made. I am really looking forward to what develops between her and Deacon… :)

9. TJ says:

Can’t stand Connie Britton. She is completely mis-cast in this otherwise top notch show. Love the music. Love the storylines. Love all the other characters and the talent who play them. But can’t stand Connie Britton. A country singer?? Really?? And what a whiner. She whined her way through Friday Night Lights and her she is again. Whining and arguing and pitching fits all the time. What a drama queen. It’s her. Not the part she’s playing. I really like the show but cringe at the scenes with Britton in them. Any way to recast her part?????

• margaretames says:

I love Connie Britton and I resent what you said about her. I love this show and it’s because of Deacon and Rayna. I love Juliette and Scarlett and the guys they are with. I just flat out LOVE this show. I’m hoping it stays on. I read in TV Guide today that they are going to keep it. I just hope that’s true.

10. Kay Mullins says:

Love Rayna, she makes the show can’t imagine someone not liking her, she’s perfect for this part and so want to see her with Deacon. Hope he doesn’t hate her about Maddy.

11. Haely Cina says:

I LOVE Nashville. This is a huge surprise for me as I’m not traditionally a country music fan, nor am I commonly drawn to shows about the South. I also wasn’t a huge fan of Friday Night Lights. However, I’ve been fond of Connie Britton since her days on Spin City. Overall, I really haven’t been disappointed with the show at all. I’ve enjoyed the character development and plot twists. I’ve been happily surprised with even the frustrating twists. Still, I adore Deacon and cannot wait to see Rayna and Deke together. I’m sure there will be plenty of teases between here and there though. I doubt Ray will want to jump into anything for a while until she works through the divorce. Regarding how she’s “holding back” I think this is deliberate, as it reflects where Ray is or has been in her life up until this point. She’s had to contain herself to withstand her loveless marriage and keeping her family together has meant she has had to put her authentic self on a shelf. This is all about to change though. I predict she’s about to come truly unhinged. This will probably play out for several episodes until she circles back and figures out who she has become. Just remember Khouri also did Thelma and Louise — she’s all about strong women evolving and finding their voice. Finally a show on TV that is interested in real women’s transformation!!