Arrow Gives Felicity Smoak a Promotion -- Plus: Check Out Fresh Photos and a Sizzling Trailer

Arrow_OliverFelicity_DWThe services of brainy beauty Felicity Smoake will very much be in need as Arrow travels forward. As such, the CW drama has promoted actress Emily Bett Rickards to a series regular for the just-ordered Season 2.

ETOnline was first to report on Rickards’ upgrade.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow and More!

The good news comes on the heels of Warner Bros. TV releasing a new trailer touting the show’s action-packed and at times eye-opening twists for February sweeps, which kicked off last week with Arrow pulling a bow on his momma and continue Wednesday night with Laurel (seemingly) landing/cooing in Oliver’s bed.

Also below: Fresh and fresher photos featuring Felicity in [spoiler!] as well as all glammed up, plus new recurring player Colton Haynes (Teen Wolf) as Roy Harper(/Speedy?) and guest star James Callis (Battlestar Galactica).

1. K. says:

Really hoping her Oliver get together in 2 season. I don’t really care for Laurel!!

• K. says:

I meant her and Oliver. I like to think those two are the second version of Chloe/Oliver from Smallville..

• jb says:

I just hope it doesn’t turn into a Smallville-ian Clark/Chloe situation where Oliver pines after the ‘soulmate’ who doesn’t know his secret identity and is just friends with the sidekick who does.

• Marie says:

I’m tired of everyone comparing her to Chloe. Yes they were both the designated “nerd” of their repective show but Chloe always struck me as very confident and at ease around Clark. I never felt like Chloe and Clark were a real possibility because the whole crush she had seemed kind of childish and desperate to me. Felicity and Oliver, however, feel like a real possibility to me because he has let her in more than any other character. Laurel, for all that she’s the one that got away, doesn’t really seem like an option to me because their relationship is too damaged. Now, I don’t want to get a dozen response insulting me for bashing the chloe/clark idea and endlessly listing the benefits of a Laurel/Oliver relationship. I just wanted to say it because I keep reading it everywhere and I wanted someone (it turned out to be me) to finally refute the comparison to chloe.

• Stars says:

It really sucks how much all these so called better “ships” steal so much from Dinah/Ollie, Black Canary/Green Arrow’s dynamic and people act like they are a lot better out of ignorance. Maybe if you would actually pick a comic book and bother to know about them you would see how much thee two characters belong together and are perfect for each other.

Newsflash this ship pawns all, different tech girls will come and go. All of you will always be copycats. Its Dinah and Ollie its always been and always will be.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Except for in this show, where Dinah Lance is Laurel’s mother, to be played by Alex Kingston of ER and Doctor Who fame.

So you can get over your ranting and enjoy the show, or keep on being bitter and defensive over a CHARACTER.

• Andy says:

Let’s not jump on Stars here. Maybe they are aware that in the show Dinah Lance is Laurel’s mother. Maybe Stars wants the relationship of the cougar (Dinah) and her cub (Ollie)

• Mikael says:

That would be HILARIOUS considering Oliver has already been with Laurel and her sister. Might as well complete the trifecta hahaha.

• Enad says:

I agree. I’m so happy, It’d be great if we have less Laurel and Thea and more Felicity. I do believe that the showrunners are actually listening to fans.

• Elena says:

Thirded (is that a word?) She and Oli have amazing chemistry, and honestly she’s the only female character I genuinely like at this point.

• Phoenix says:

Yes they have amazing chemistry, they have SIBLING AND PLATONIC chemistry. . How can anyone want to see this getting it on, GROSS. They look like twins for god sake.

Even Felicity and Walter have way more sexual chemistry between them.

• luli says:

DITTOOO! Oliver and Felicity are my favorite couple on this show… even though they aren’t together :D and they need to be together SOON

• Elyse says:

agreed!!!

• sandi says:

Felicity and Oliver make an awesome combination of beauty,bravery ,brains which serve the right amount of intensity in the vigilante’s crusade..

2. TVDIVA says:

Hooray for Emily Bett Rickards becoming a regular on the show. She is fantastic as Felicity Smoake and I would vote for her to have a thing with Oliver (vs. Laurel or the whacked out Huntress.)

• Tarc says:

I agree – Rickards has amazing energy and all of her scenes just crackle in that electrifying ‘she’ll be a star’ way.

3. omg! colton haynes and they told the IT girl this is about to get so much more interesting.

4. Roger says:

Finally!! Everyone knows Felicity has a thing for Oliver and Emily and Stephen have great chemistry.

• B says:

Don’t they though? I noticed it from her first scene. I know we are supposed to believe that Oliver & Laurel are soul mates, but they have ZERO chemistry on screen. Felicity is perfect for him.

• carrionne says:

thank god someone noticed! I couldn’t have been the only one to just NOT feel the chemistry

• Locke says:

Im seriouly tired of this chemistry bullcrap. They can always recast the actress playing Laurel people, she is not that great at acting anyway and really not the right person to play the role. I dont see why they have to chance the story.because of some chemistry BS. .

fandom is just too much obsessed with this chemistry thing. Its a pity. I really dont think Felicity/Oliver have it all that either, They just happen o be played by two hot actors and people scream wowww chemistry.

• Elyse says:

good chemistry is what makes a good couple.

• Marie says:

I have a different opinion on the whole “Chemistry BS”, as you called it.

Oliver it the damaged brooding bad boy with a taste for justice who can’t let anyone in and doesn’t smile much. It’s only natural that fans him up with the quirky beautiful nerd who crushes on him. She’s the most likable character on the show! People like her so they put her with the main character, who, as we’ve seen, could use a little bit of cheering up.

It’s true that two hot actors paired together can make fans a little crazy. You see it on the Once Upon a Time forum all the time but that’s mostly because they keep killing off every hot guy on the show and now the fans are desperate.

Still, I don’t think people are imagining things when they say they just “don’t feel it” between two characters. If the producers INTENDED to make two characters who people just “don’t feel it” with, then I blame bad acting.

• Nadz says:

Gosh yesssss…. I’m new to Arrow and had no idea who these actors were but yet found zilch chemistry between Oliver and Laurel. For some reason Oliver had better chemistry with Helena and now Felicity. I’m rooting for Oliver & Felicity or Helena, both girls are amazing and they are the only ladies who know the truth about his story

5. Lorena says:

About Time! I love Felicity

6. elizabeth danielle says:

So happy the gave Felicity/Emily a promotion, I’ve been hoping to see more of her. Yay!

7. Maki says:

I’m big Felicity FAn! She is really sweet! *_* Hope she goes Series regular if she doesn’t gets killed before!

• Reboot says:

Did you read the article at all? It says in the first paragraph “the CW drama has promoted actress Emily Bett Rickards to a series regular for the just-ordered Season 2.”. As far as I know, that does mean she won’t be killed off and will be a series regular :P

8. Nicole says:

Nice! Great to see Team Arrow expanding. And yep, I’m down with some Felicity/Ollie action for season two.

• Jay says:

Oh, it’ll happen! Felicity cleaned up pretty good in those pictures, and anyone who’s ever read a comic book knows what Oliver Queen is like with good looking women. The man is not Bruce Wayne!

9. Omar says:

I stoped watching the show on episode 1O. Now she’s an interesting character that I would love to see more… Arrow I’m back.

10. Anna says:

YAY! I love Felicity, she’s awesome!

11. Adam says:

I am really excited about her becoming a series regular I was rooting for her to be shown alot more on the show.

12. Fox says:

Great to see Felicity sticking around. Looks like she will be the “Oracle” of Oliver’s base. Looking forward to seeing what the show does with Roy Harper, hopefully if the character sticks around they can introduce Cheshire down the line.

13. guss says:

I like Felicity, but as Ollie friend. I only have interest in Ollie&Laurel.

14. Such a fan of Felicity and her relationship with Oliver. I would definitely love to see them get together at some point. I know Laurel and Oliver are comic book canon, but I’d love to see them deviate from that relationship eventually. I don’t think Laurel and Oliver have very much chemistry in the show, and I actually really like Laurel and Tommy together.

15. Adam Bramble says:

So no one is going to say it! This is kind of a huge spoiler!!!
    Thanks for ruining it.
    NEXT TIME PUT SPOILER ALERT.

• Chicago Dan says:

Agreed. I’m PO’d that I looked at that picture. Thanks, a lot TVline. BOO!

• Andy says:

When you two read the article, had it not said yet “Also below: Fresh and fresher photos featuring Felicity in [spoiler!]” Because that would have been the spoiler alert.

16. Adam Bramble says:

Nevermind^ Should have read the full article xD. FORGIVE ME.

17. Speedies of Two Worlds.

18. lil ole me says:

yay for more Felicity!

19. mmac80 says:

Emily looks absolutely gorgeous! I’m thrilled she will be a regular in Season 2!!!

20. ggny says:

I smell a love interest for Oliver!

21. Brenna says:

Yaaay!! Great decision to add Felicity/Emily as a series regular. She and Oliver remind me of Tony Stark and Pepper Potts of Iron Man. Fun relationship!!

22. Dominique says:

that’s great news, felicity’s such a great character, and I definitely see something there between her and Oliver.
    I know it’s supposed to be him and Laurel (tho not really, cause if they REALLY wanna go by the comics, then it should be her mother, who is the REAL Dinah Lance, as stated in the casting news for Alex Kingston), but I just don’t see much there. Truth be told, I’m not even all that impressed with the Laurel character…
    Good for EMily tho, it’s great news for her!

23. tarasis says:

Pleased that Emily Bett Rickards is getting promoted, I enjoy her character (nice to have an attractive but not forced sexy woman) and do hope she would get together with Oliver later on. Like others I think shes a bet fit than Laurel

24. Jeni says:

Yay!! I love her. Great character!

25. That’s phenomenal news! Felicity Smoak is probably the best female character on the show… writers, get to work on Laurel and Thea now ;)

26. robinepowell says:

Video doesn’t work for me.

As for Emily getting promoted to series regular for seaosn 2, not surprised. She’s on more often then not, getting more lines to say. Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea and I was thinking that the producers might make her a series regular down the road too. ;)

27. Josh says:

Yes!! Love that Felicity Smoak is gonna be a series regular!! Techinally shes not listed as a guest star for tomorrow’s episode even though she is very much in the episode so i think the promotion starts tomorrow! Love Felicity the character and the Actress is Hot!

28. Josh says:

Also wanna add how Hot Felicity looks with her hair down!

• Kath says:

I didn’t even recognize her till I read your comment.

She does look hot but I hope they don’t drop the geek look altogether. A role model for those of us who remain geeky.

• Josh says:

I agree! Shes hot regardless i dig the glasses and nerdish look as well

• John says:

She’s fun in the nerd look and the writers seem to be going with that. Glad there’ll be more of her humor on the show and unrelenting dark gets boring. Plus the actress is clearly a scene stealer, she gets more mileage out of her glasses than Oliver does out of his bow…

29. Alan says:

that is not the felicity i fell in love with, put her back in clothes that suit her now!!! in all seriousness this is great news, she has been a highlight of the show and this announcement is long over due. best thing about this: oliver can stop with the ridiculous excuses, they were funny at first but became eye rolling by the latest and its clear that she already knows he is the hood guy.

30. ChrisGa says:

Love Felicity and love the chem between her and Oliver; would love to see that explored further. As for Ollie/Laurel, I love love love Katie Cassidy but I really like Laurel with Tommy(uh, how hot is Colin Donnell? The rest of you can have Stephen Amell and I’ll take Colin ;)).

31. rachelle says:

Great, great, great news!! I loved the little bit of her character that we’ve seen so far. And Ol needs someone with her skills on his team.

32. Julia says:

So happy Felicity is Ollie’s other sidekick!

33. jon says:

As others mentioned this is not a surprise but who cares, it means we’re getting more Felicity! It will be cool to see Olie, Dig, and Felicity working together and I’m also interested in what will happen with Roy and Thea (who will become Speedy first? or at all?)

34. i love her and oliver but i also love her and diggle… i hope she gets with diggle when oliver eventually gets with laurel

• cros says:

Now there is an awesome person, Felicity and Diggle actually have way more chemistry of the romantic/sexual kind than Oliver/Felicity will ever have, who look and act like siblings.

I already ship Figgle/Diggity.

• i feel like felicity has more of an awkward sexual tension w/ oliver. like she knows he’s attractive. like it’s purely physical. i hope they don’t mess that up & put them together cuz they’re much better off as friends like chloe and clark on smallville.

35. Autumn says:

Great news! Best female character on the show though I also find Oliver’s Mom interesting.

36. AT says:

Great news! Now I feel like catching up on the show again. Love her character and definitely believe her chemistry with Oliver more than I do with him and Laurel or the Huntress.

37. mia says:

Oh that’s fantastic!!! I just love her!! Oliver is building his own Scoobie Gang.!

38. J says:

Good. Felicity is the only likeable female character in the show. They really need to add some other females though. The sister and the love interest are the generic troubled teen + damsel in distress archetypes

39. Anon says:

FELICITY <3

40. Ella says:

I like Felicity a lot but REALLY hope it ‘s as a sidekick and not a love interest. Oliver and Laurel are perfection.

41. eridapo says:

Who cares about Felicity when Gaius “Fraking” Baltar in an episode..

42. jj says:

I like Felicity and am glad the actress is now a series regular. But I don’t think it is necessary to pair her off with anyone. She will be a valuable sidekick. Laurel is OK but I can’t stand Tommy.

• Tarc says:

You’re not supposed to – he’ll eventually be the series nemesis.

• Alan says:

i know thats what they intend but to me tommy is one of the more likeable characters so far, he has actually turned out to be a really nice guy who really is in love with laurel and not just doing it because he can like the usual rich guy types you see on tv shows.

• Marie says:

what? what do you mean? is that some comic book story that you think apply to the show (i would think so too btw)? Where did you hear that? I want to know more!

• Alan says:

tommy and his dad are both at least partially based on the green arrow villain merlyn. tommy shares the full name and thats about it, while malcolm shares the evil archer part of the character.

• carrionne says:

Is Merlyn the creepy flying elf that throws pumpkin bombs in the Spider Man movies?

• Alan says:

wow i didnt think anyone knew so little about comics, its kind of refreshing. bear with me here because im going down the rabbit hole a little.
            that “flying elf” can be one of two supervillains, green goblin and hobgoblin, there have been multiple people under both aliases. merlyn is essentially green arrow if he was a supervillain. the goblins and merlyn could not be further from each other in backstory, powers and motivation for being a supervillain. spiderman is a marvel character, green arrow is a dc character, so those guys couldnt even cross paths anyway.
            that level of lack of knowledge has actually impressed me, you have much to learn young padawan.

• carrionne says:

You’re lucky I’m more amused than insulted! I like to read stories and watch movies about superheroes but reading the comic books never seemed worth the money because the stories are really short and the books are really expensive. Anyway, knowing too much too soon kind of ruins the surprise. Plus, whenever there is a movie adaption of a book I read, I am forever noticing the things that are different and how they got it wrong. Still, I’m grateful for the help.

• Alan says:

always glad to fill in the knowledge gaps, im glad you didnt get insulted i was intending for it to be a joke but its difficult to get tone across on a comments section.
            if you ever did want to read comics you should look up the collected editions that come out every few months, they are a collection of usually at least 6 issues and are usually fairly reasonably priced, a lot of people wait for these collections to come out rather than buying individual issues.

• Marie/Carrionne (I use both names on the internet and got confused) says:

thank you!

43. Georgia Madman says:

Sign me up, too, as a Felicity fan. Dug her from the first time she appeared.

44. t86 says:

Great news! More Felicity! yay!

45. RichieS says:

Could they please bring on a love interest for Laurel’s detective daddy? Seriously that tensed up dude really needs laid. Also is it just me or arev they asking us to make a gigantic leap to believe Ollie instantaneously turned from the worst MMA fighter on the planet into another Bones Jones?

• carrionne says:

He was on the island 5 years. He had time to train. the flashback for that episodes are from after 6 months and he was still pretty useless.

• Alan says:

well alex kingston is coming in soon as his (ex-)wife so she is probably going to be a love interest for him.

46. Kana says:

I don’t get how people can want Laurel and Oliver together. Realistically, they have no future together. It’s like when a mother and a father lose a child, they rarely stay together because it’s too painful and it causes too many unwanted feelings. It makes things complicated. Oliver inadvertently killed Laurels sister while cheating on her. In the real world they would have no place together, they would never want to see each other again because every time they did it would just bring up painful emotions that will never go away. I get that it’s canon in the comics, I really do, but every time they’re together they don’t have chemistry (yes it’s important for actors to have it together, stop living in denial) and I just keep thinking about how he killed her sister. I swear, the only people who ship them are devotee’s of the comic or the kind of people who ship something that automatically seems canon. Don’t get me wrong, Katie C was brilliant as Ruby, but for this role I’m just not feeling it at all.
    I don’t know if they’re are/going to follow the comic straight up, or really listen to the fans, I haven’t read that much about it, but this is the best news. Felicity is a very interesting character, the ones with brains usually are. I’d much rather see her with Oliver, but I fear I’ll just be setting myself up for disappointment. As long as she’s happy and in the show I suppose.

47. agate cameo says:

Great weblog here! Also your site a lot up very fast! What host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink on your host? I desire my site loaded up as fast as yours lol|

48. tyflas says:

Excellent beat ! I would like to apprentice whilst you amend your website, how can i subscribe for a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I have been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered brilliant transparent concept|

49. Anonymous says:

I am not sure where you are getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for wonderful info I was looking for this info for my mission.%7

50. Sparkle says:

With respect to the comics, things do not always turn out the way we want them to. Sometimes people fall for someone they never thought they would. That’s why I believe the show should pull away a little from the comics and put Oliver and Felicity together. Not just for a while but as soul mates. Not just be with someone because of sexually chemistry, because in the long run we all need more, and that’s what I think Felicity does for him.