Ratings: Grammys Down from Record Year But Still Strong, ABC Dramas Hit Low Notes

Ratings Grammy Awards 2013CBS’ presentation of the 55th Annual Grammy Awards on Sunday night amassed 28.4 million total viewers while scoring a 10.1 rating with the coveted 18-49 demo.

That represents the kudoscast’s second-largest audience since 1993 — trailing last year’s quasi-Whitney Houston tribute, which drew a record crowd of 40 mil — and its second-highest rating since 2004.

RELATED | Grammys 2013: View the Winners List, Our Review of Every Performance and a Round-Up of the Best & Worst Moments

Facing such formidable competition, both ABC’s Once Upon a Time (7 mil, down two tenths to a 2.2 rating) and Revenge (5.1 mil, down 18 percent to a 1.4) lost about 10 percent in audience while getting knocked to series-low demos — the same fate suffered by Desperate Housewives and Pan Am a year prior.

RELATED | Read Our Recaps of Once Upon a Time, Revenge, Girls, Downton Abbey and Walking Dead

Similarly, Fox’s ‘toon line-up from took an across-the-board hit from 8 to 10 pm, with Family Guy suffering the largest blow (down 17 percent to a 2.4) yet still standing as the night’s second highest-rated program.

What were you tuned into this Sunday?

1. wrstlgirl says:

Once was awful last night. I kept channel surfing I was so bored.

• iMember says:

Once was a filler, but Revenge has an AMAZING episode last night. I hate to see both shows fall, but no one here is to blame but ABC. Why in the world would they put their shows up against the Grammys and before the Golden Globes? Ugh!

I’d hardly consider these numbers in terms of renewal, because both Once and Revenge were put up against strong competition, especially Revenge. ABC is messing up with the scheduling.

• wrstlgirl says:

I agree, Revenge was good. Although I’m a bit unhappy with what’s going to happen next week but oh well.

• iMember says:

How do you know what’s going to happen next week!? Are you from the future!? :O

No, but seriously, next week’s episode looks like it’s going to be EPIC!

2. Mike says:

Didn’t know so many people watched the Grammys? Looking forward to see how The Walking Dead did?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Yep, with AMC being a “cable” network, those numbers will be in much later today.

• Elyse says:

i didn’t know that many people watched the Grammys either. i could care less about awards shows!! i was definitely watching Walking Dead last night :)

3. Candice says:

hopefully the abc dramas go up significantly next week because lately they’ve been taking a hit. i’m actually getting a bit worried.

4. isabelmonca says:

What does ABC expect by putting OUAT and Revenge against the Grammys?! Of course the ratings are gonna suck! I just hope the continuation of airing these shows against awards ceremonies doesn’t hurt the shows’ chances of renewal. I love both shows! And Revenge…that episode airing next Sunday will be EPIC

5. keith says:

I flipped back and forth from fox to CBS. Bob’s burgers was good. Mayor mc cheese on family guy. Omg.

6. Zorkel567 says:

ABC should have waited a week, rather than facing off against the Grammys. But both Once and especially Revenge were fantastic episodes last night. Revenge finally is returning back to its season 1 roots in greatness. Too bad they were put up against something that was going to dwarf them no matter what.

• Alicia says:

I’m guessing they didn’t wait because ABC will be airing the Oscars on Feb 24th and didn’t want to come back for one week then break a week again.

• dan says:

Plus, last week was the Superbowl on CBS and nobody wants to waste new episodes against it, so they needed to put new episodes this week and next week before the Oscars.

7. Steven says:

I don’t think the phrase “coveted 18-49 demo” is used enough.

8. Josh says:

Personally i consider the grammy”s boring Revenge was AWESOME last night and next week does look EPIC please don’t kill off Jack! Kill off Scum like that Ryan Brother im a Jack/Emily shipper!

9. Tran says:

Really hope people were watching Downton Abbey last night instead of the Grammys.

10. kees says:

Revenge needs to kick it up another notch or two. I miss the episodes that left me all ‘OMG’ going into commercial breaks not just at the end of the hour.
    Once has done a decent job with backstories, but let’s focus now on the outsider and what his story is. And who didn’t see Rumpelstiltskin’s son being Henry’s dad coming from a mile away (at least that’s what I took away after the look on Emma’s face after tackling him). Where’s Cora hiding out in Storybrooke without being recognized? I’m getting a little bored with this show, hope it gets better soon!

11. kees says:

One more thing about Revenge-how the hell did the Ryan bro manage to stowaway on the Amanda without Jack catching him before they even left the dock? Of all the ridiculous and implausible that transpire on this show, that might go down as one of the worst.

• Joe says:

It’s a nighttime soap!! Ridiculous is the norm I take you never watched Melrose Place in the 90s

• kees says:

It started as a somewhat ‘smart’ nighttime soap (of which I’ve watched many). My point is the Amanda isn’t that big of a boat, so there can’t be many places to hide. Jack has spent countless hours on that boat you’d think he’d know something was amiss.

12. Melissa says:

I think having Once Upon ATime off the air for three weeks, then returning the night of the Grammys AND the new episode of The Walking Dead was a mistake.

• Elyse says:

Once is on at 8 and Walking Dead is on at 9 so i think only the Grammys messed up those numbers. this season of Once just isn’t as good as the first season was :( it makes me sad because i love Once!!

• wrstlgirl says:

Actually it depends on who your cable provider is. For me TWD is on at 10:00 but for others it’s on at 7:00 or 8:00.

• Amanda says:

Completely disagree. For me and most of my friends that watch season 2 of “OUAT” has been so much better than the first season. I was a die-hard Lostie and season 1 of “OUAT” was good, but I feel like I did when LOST was on with season 2. It’s just been amazing. Again though “TWD” doesn’t really hurt “Once” as it airs at 9.

• andrea says:

I agree, the only good thing about ouat this season is we got to see so many attractive people in this show and that just sad

13. Jon says:

Revenge shot itself in the foot by emphasizing The Initiative this season (boring) and not Emily and her Revenge stories. With the major death last night, let’s hope The Initiative plot line dies too.

14. anil says:

Revenge had its classic ‘OMG’ factor last night. And the season climax episode is thankfully next week and wasn’t last night, so its sure the to go up in ratings.

But ABC is run by brainless monkeys who know NOTHING about scheduling.

15. Joe says:

Revenge was great last night (, true it’s going thru a sophomore slump) it’s on a very competive night , I’m not worrying quite yet ( but it is ABC , these people said dont worry about Happy Endings & and apt 23 and look what happen to them)

16. BL says:

I really need Revenge to change nights. In two weeks it’s the Oscars and then the following week (or two weeks later, I can’t remember) it’s a two hour premier of Red Widow. WTH?!?! ABC is killing the momentum of the story. This is exactly why I stopped watching the network shows on Sundays (TAR,DH etc). AMC,HBO, Showtine don’t pull this crap and therefore get my eyes.

17. Kevin says:

If only CBS thought that way too. They are always airing lone episodes of “The Good Wife”. They have done it a few times in the past, and again this year. The last new episode aired on Jan. 13, 2013, no episode the following week. Then a new episode aired on Jan. 27, 2013, no episode the following week. The next new episode will air on Feb. 17, 2013.

I wish they moved the show back to Tuesdays already.

18. wasabi says:

Enjoyed the return of my favorite giant to Once Upon a Time, followed by Victoria taking out that annoying Initiative hag, and then watched the second airing of the new Walking Dead episode at 11:00, Didn’t give the Grammy Awards a single thought.

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

I watched the Grammys and hated myself for it, but really it was all just to see The Black Keys perform, and then I had to stick around for Jack White. That was probably the first time in my life I ever watched that show. I’ve always kind of hated modern day music, but I do love The Black Keys, and Gotye is sure growing on me. Then after that was over, of course it was all about The Walking Dead. I still need to see Girls and Shameless.

20. Sam says:

No Grammys for me. Started out on the BAFTA awards, then 2 hours of Downton Abbey.

21. cj says:

Im watching revenge tonight on demand. Last night belonged to the dead.

22. rachel says:

What happen to ouat? Last eps really bored me