Pilot Scoop: Maggie Lawson Joins ABC Comedy as Psych Enters Its (Likely) Final Season

lawsonMy sixth sense is telling me Psych‘s eighth season will be its last, and here’s why: Maggie Lawson has scored the female lead opposite James Caan in an untitled ABC comedy pilot from Mark and Robb Cullen (FX’s Lucky), TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Season’s (Possible) Newcomers

In December, USA Network renewed Psych for an eight-episode eighth season, but stopped short of declaring it the final season. But Lawson’s first-position casting in the ABC project all but confirms that the long-running comedy (which kicks off its seventh season on Feb. 27) is heading into the homestretch.

The ABCcomedy, formerly known as She’s Got Balls, follows Terry Gannon (Lawson), a recently divorced, single mother who temporarily moves in with her estranged father (Caan), a beer swilling former baseball player. She reluctantly starts coaching her son’s underdog little league team and is drawn back into the world of sports she vowed to leave behind.

1. I figured the 8th season would be it’s last. Hopefully James, Dule and Timothy all end up in a show as well.

• TONY says:

MONK END AND NOW YOU SAY PSYCH IS GOING THE TV PEOPLE ARE JUST A– HOLES

• Charles Katopes says:

Psych is one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever watched and now your saying its , its last season . You don’t seem to know a good show when you see one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kathy says:

Maybe it’s all talk and not so. NEW SHOWS HAVE 20% survival rate.

• seni says:

I completely agree with you ! 2 good shows.. worth recording and watching at any time.. and these people cancel it?
        Why cant they recognize they have a great show? Its so stupid not to see they have great shows with tons of fans..

2. Kerry says:

They haven’t filmed season eight yet though, have they? They filmed season seven, which is what’s about to start, but they didn’t film season eight yet, did they?

3. No bueno says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

• Rose says:

Back to the Game is the most stupidest show- and they are going to replace Psych with it? Prepare to have point negative zero watchers for that dumb plot and characters. (Except Maggie, that is.) Plus its a bad role model- in almost every episode they are chugging beer and getting drunk- its just so, so stupid. They better not make Psych end because of this!

4. Faith says:

This makes me sad. Thinking of psych being over and the people in it moving on…makes me sad.

5. Kevin says:

NO! PSYCH CANNOT END!

6. Callie says:

This makes me oh-so sad. If season 8 is the last season, I wish USA would give it a full 16 since they’d already fully wrapped season 7 before they got the pickup news. 8 episodes just doesn’t seem like very long to wrap up a 8-year old series.

But congrats to Maggie on the upcoming project. Hope it works out better for her than Crumbs on ABC did (although if Crumbs–which was hilarious–hasn’t failed, she wouldn’t have been Juliet O’Hara).

• Midori4 says:

I love the show, but Phych isn’t a huge continuing story. Even a two hour movie would do. As long as they know it’s the end I’m happy.

They film at the end of April. Well before the pilot would if it gets picked up.

7. Leea says:

OW :( Glad she found new show, but no more psych, that just sucks.

8. Callie says:

Also, idk if you updated this with the plot info, but I didn’t notice it before. This looks like a fun show. It’ll be interesting to see Maggie playing a mom and it involves baseball! Hope it gets picked up! :-)

9. hazel says:

I hate that Psych is ending, but I’m glad for one of my fav actresses to continue having success! :) go Maggie!!

10. Elyse says:

nooooooooooooooooooo! :(

11. mia says:

NOOOOO! I don’t want Psych to end!!! Why must it be its last??? Its still doing really well and its still as funny as ever. Don’t end it USA!!!!

• bubba says:

why! I absolutley love psych if it ends I will literally sulk in my room for weeks until another show worth watching comes on:(

12. Amber says:

Bittersweet to hear about this. Happy to know that Maggie has found something, but knowing that Psych is ending is sad. It will also be weird to see her cast opposite someone that’s not her boyfriend. Looking forward to the 27th!

13. Carrie says:

Oh, man. I’ll be really bummed when “Psych” ends. The wait for the new season has been torture!

• north west mamma says:

I watched the final episode of Psych tonight on Netflix. I was just blindsided. How dare the writers
      end the series with Henry being murdered. It took a real sadist to end such a wonderful series in such a cruel way, It just makes me sick!

14. Is it me, or does this show sound like a modified version of the film, “Trouble With The Curve” starring Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams? Also, if the 8th season has only eight episodes then they better be hilarious, rich, and have Shawn become a cop after the “Psych” is up.

• Connor says:

I thought the exact same thing. They are SERIOUSLY running out of original things to make shows on.

• Margery says:

I thought the same thing–TV version of Trouble with the Curve–as soon as I read the plotline for Maggie’s new show. I wish her the best; she’s such a good actress. However, it seems that most other shows are a rehash, or reality (stupid), or just plain stupid. Psych was such fun to watch, and it had a great ensemble cast. I’ll miss it; it was one of the few shows I watched.

15. Waffles says:

Taking into account Psych’s seemingly erratic shooting schedule, I see no reason why she couldn’t do both. And considering the seemingly awful premise of Maggie’s new show, it’s likely she could still be shooting Psych after her other show gets cancelled.

• TaMara says:

My first reaction was NOOO! Until I read the pilot premise and I have to totally agree with you. Fingers crossed for Season 9

• dork4tv says:

Actually Psych will be filming this spring in what is generally the hiatus for network shows, so *if* it did continue past season 8, likely with the same type of short seasons, the timing would certainly allow her to do both. If Psych were a network show or likely to ever have a full 16 episode order ever again, I would agree that this must mean the end, but since any future seasons would likely be only 8 or so episodes, I’m not entirely convinced. Besides, even if she couldn’t be a regular on Psych (assuming this pilot gets picked up and is successful) if there were to be a ninth season, nothing would preclude them from having her as a “guest star” in every episode, ala Kirsten Nelson in season 1. I really hope Psych continues beyond season 8, but it’s clear that after season 7, whether it’s one, two or, three more seasons, it’s gonna be a new ball game with new rules so I think anything is possible … until USA makes the announcement of a final season. Having said all that, good for Maggie! If Psych does end, it would be great to at least have her on on my tv. Although, ideally, I’d love to see Psych continue, this show succeed, and just have twice as much Maggie to watch. Nothing wrong with that!

• Trini says:

I agree! They could even play off the ” pretend pregnancy” thing, make her character actually pregnant on the show and give Lassie an interim partner while we wait for that awful sounding sit com to fail. Juliet is great but Steve Franks said he’d write Psych until they forced him out, they added 5 more episodes to Season 8, if creatively done, the show can continue without Juliet. Look at CSI and their character changes!

• seni says:

I agree. She could still shoot the psyche. And her other show does not sound so interesting, sorry.
      I am really disappointed. Why spoil a really great thing. Monk was great and they ended it, and now Psyche. When they get a group of people that work so well together, so much charm, and they have really no end in what they can come up with with new cases in these show.. why stop it? Makes no sense at all.
      Monk and Psyche were 2 shows I looked for and always recorded. What exactly do they think they will replace it with worth watching? Really?

16. aurat22 says:

Loosing a lot of my favorite shows this year. Leverage and now Psych. It’s sad. Good Luck to Maggie though.

17. KND says:

This makes me very sad.

18. Andy says:

I’ve always loved Psych, and I will continue to do til it’s end, and long after. At least we have a season and a half before we have to say goodbye. And with the 10 months USA has been making us Psychos wait between season finales and season premieres, we probably won’t be saying goodbye to Psych til 2015 at the earliest.

19. Eliza says:

Good news for Maggie but I’m going to continue to be in denial that Psych is most likely ending. One day I will find acceptance but today is not that day.
    Shawn and Gus forever <3

20. BonesFringeFan says:

Very upset about Psych ending, but so long as Maggie an James are still together, I’ll survive.

21. Didi says:

While I love PSYCH and am sad to hear it might end, I’m very happy for Maggie Lawson. I wonder if they would consider casting a new character. I’m not sure if they could match the current chemistry of all the characters. And I agree with other comments in that I hope it will be a full 16 episode season 8.

22. Brooke says:

I’m not looking forward to Psych ending, but it certainly has had a very solid, successful run. Unlike so many comedies out there (including HIMYM, which I still love for the characters but don’t find very funny anymore), Psych has remained absolutely hilarious all the way through. I’m glad Maggie is getting some casting attention already!

23. tuesday says:

my least favorite pysch cast member.

24. Babybop says:

My heart just broke. Psych is my one of my favorite TV shows of all time… Which is saying something because I watch A LOT of TV…

25. Dan says:

We all knew Psych had to hang up its boots eventually and the writers aren’t gonna screw up its ending.
    I just hope this new project isn’t going to be a multi-cam sitcom otherwise its destined for failure with ABC. However given the plot, it looks like thats the format this project is going.

26. Rach says:

NOOO my heart is breaking. Psych is one of my favorite shows and we need more than 8 seasons! But I wish the best for Maggie because she is a great actress and is so adorable. I do hope that her being on a different show than James won’t put any strain on their relationship…they must have gotten used to working together by now and it will be weird to not see them together on the show! :'(

27. Wow says:

Ausiello, c’mon son! How could you delivery sad news when we’re so close to the premiere!? I know, you’ve got a job to do. Thanks for the heads up.

28. taliesin says:

Psych films in the summer and is broadcast in the fall. Most shows film in the fall to spring and air 2-4 weeks after each episode is filmed. It’s not impossible for Maggie to film Psych in the summer while also doing another show with a more routine shooting schedule – especially if the new show is only doing 13ish episodes a year.

29. kim says:

steve franks intended for psych to have 120 ep and 1 tv movie. lawson’s in like 3 min; i don’t think that’s why. plus, they could just shoot her scenes in the summer; it’d be more diffcult, but i thought that o’hara’s the least interesting character on the show and it’d be nice for her role to be cut back.

30. Chris says:

That would be really sad. I’ve been losing a lot of my favorite shows, Fringe, Leverage, Merlin. I’d hate to lose Psych too.

31. David4 says:

Season 8 of Psych films for eight weeks beginning at the end of April, this will have no effect on the 8th season and after 8 years maybe people want to move on. Eight years of fun is a long time for a show.

32. Aleksa says:

Sad face.

33. ScarlettH says:

I just discovered Psych and I can’t believe it’s ending! I’m not even over Fringe, heck I’m not even over Chuck’s cancellation and that was over a year ago. But I love Maggie and I wish her the very best. Still sad though :(

• taliesin says:

Psych’s just starting season 7. You still have all of season 7 and season 8 to look forward to. Beyond that, Maggie’s just doing a pilot – and only about 1 in 25 pilots ever go to series – so we still have 2 seasons of Psych to look forward to and Maggie’s new show probably won’t even get picked up.

34. dork4tv says:

Despite what Ausiello says, I’m really not convinced that this means season 8 is necessarily the end for Psych. i see why it seems that way, but it’s entirely possible that due to the short filming season, the actors may have clauses in their contracts allowing them to be regulars on other shows. So let’s say Psych has a season 9 … well, even if the pilot does get picked up, even if it’s a huge success, it wouldn’t mean that Maggie couldn’t be on future seasons. Supposedly the producers worked with the network to determine the number of eps for season 8, and this may be exactly why the settled on just 8 – to allow the actors to pursue other roles while still being able to do Psych (a show they all seem to love). Even with Maggie in first position with this pilot, it doesn’t necessarily mean there isn’t a stipulation in her deal to allow her to continue with Psych, should both shows get picked up. So I really don’t think this is necessarily proof that season 8 is Psych’s last. Even if that is currently the network’s plan, as suggested by Deadline, the fact that it hasn’t been announced as such, means to me that there’s still hope and that the network may be waiting to make a final decision until after they see how season 7 does. This news doesn’t change my hope for more season because, after all, it’ll will likely only be filming a few months a year from here on out. And I’m sure if it does continue they will be sure that it’s with Maggie (and Jules)! There’s no way she would abandon ship right at the end – c’mon son!

• Gem says:

I admire your perseverance in hoping for the best but what this announcement says is that her new pilot is in first position. Meaning, regardless of what happens with Psych, her new show now has priority over the old. In a happy world she would be able to do both but, c’mon son, her being as loyal as she’s always been to Psych I don’t think she’d set something like this up for herself if it wasn’t truly the end. I will miss this show. Psych-O until the end.

• dork4tv says:

Actually, with a season left still to shoot, she should technically still be in first position with Psych, unless of course, she opted not to re-up her contract with USA and isn’t going to be in season 8 (seems utterly impossible) or is going to recurring status (also seems unlikely) or her new contract with the network allows for joining other shows – which it would pretty much have to have in order for her to be joining a pilot before Psych has been officially cancelled. So therefore, no matter how likely a final season 8 is, this doesn’t constitute proof of it ending.

35. Susan says:

PSYCH forever!!!!!!!!!!

36. A says:

I will not accept a reality without Psych in it. Shawn and Gus must continue solving crimes on my TV till their old and grey.

37. tsi431 says:

Maggie leaves Psych after (Jules) says no to Shawn’s marriage proposal. New female lead will follow.

Just my guess.

• I don’t think. It’s not possible xD Are you kidding right?… If instead you are serious I’m telling you that in the cast and the writer are almost all shipper so they really won’t do that. Even for the credibility of the character of Shawn…

38. moobear says:

Normally when I hear about one of my favorite shows is about to get cancelled (come on 8 episodes, I’m not holding out hope) I get angry, but strangely I’m just sad, and after reading all these comments that’s what everyone else is feeling.
    It’s a great show, I got my family into PSYCH and watched all the episodes again and I laughed just as hard as the first time, which never happens for me. I have to say of all the different versions of Sherlock Holmes that has been done, this is my favorite.

39. Kyle says:

I have a feeling the 8th season will be the last. Dule Hill said a year or 2 ago in an interview that he would leave after an eighth season when his contract was up.

40. Bob says:

Don’t worry. Anything with James Caan in it will probably be canceled long before she would be needed for another season of Psych.

41. Alan says:

not unexpected considering psych got a reduced order but it does make me sad.
    while the premise sounds utterly awful i will literally watch maggie lawson do anything so i will definitely be watching at least the first few episodes if it gets picked up hoping its better than it sounds.
    since psych’s filming schedule is already all over the place why dont they just keep it going with occasional tv movies whenever the cast are available to film if usa doesnt want to commit to a full season anymore.

42. Jeani M says:

I watched psych from the beginning and hurts my heart! My daughter and I watch psych on DVD and iPhones! So sad! I was angry when they cancelled “The Unit” and that was LONG time ago…lol! There are canceling good solid shows put reality shows! D*mn shame! :(!

43. I don’t understand why this means the series may be ending? It would be sad to see Maggie leave but then we could keep Psych?… Plenty of series have lost main cast before

44. I really hate Maggie Lawson for doing this. How could she? :( All i can i say is that she better be doing this because she knows Psych is ending. Juliet is my favorite character and i love Shules. I could not continue to watch Psych without her, no way!! My guess is that they have a plan in place so that she can appear on both if this crap get’s picked up. But i am still very mad Maggie for doing this.

45. Duchess and Marie says:

I like Maggie and she is good on the show – she’s definitely improved since the beginning… but there is no – absolutely no reason this show can’t or shouldn’t go on without her. She and the captain could exit without the show suffering for a minute. Henry would be a hilarious partner for Lassie. Heck, I’d even prefer to see the parole officer become Lassiter’s partner before the show should be canceled!! Personally, I think this new ABC program sounds incredibly lame – James Caan or no James Caan – and I give it one season – max. If USA cancels Psych and Burn Notice in one year, they are going to lose untold viewers. Fairly Legal and In Plain Sight still had life in them when they were canceled. Someone in USA programming management has lost the USA mojo and needs to go. The new Graceland leads looks like they cloned the two leads from Common Law. They’ve taken the formula concept waaaay too far. Wake up and save the two best shows: Psych and Burn Notice!!

46. nick says:

don’t end this awesome show

47. Lyss says:

I am pretty sure this premise of Maggie’s show is a TV movie… not a TV show, at least according to IMDB

48. Psych-O says:

People it’s not such a big deal. If she leaves, the show can certainly go on without her. They just have to focus on Shawn and Gus like they did in the first few seasons and they were fantastic, it’s kind of annoying that they make it all about Shawn & Jules now like a soap opera. Sooo if she leaves its ok, they show will be about 2 friends solving crime, funny, stress free, like it used to be… If they bring Abigail back well that it’s just a plus.

49. Maleko says:

Never could get into psyche. Dumbest show ever. Leverage was fantastic, but Psyche is a squash. Purely horrible show.

• Laney says:

I never could understand why people felt compelled to read an article about a show they didn’t care about solely for the purpose of logging on and crapping on said show’s fans. But to each their own, I guess.

50. Mark says:

If psych is gaining popularity, then why would they end the show. Psych will go at least nine seasons. It has to. It is the best show ever.