Scoop: NBC's Dracula Casts King Kong Actor as Its Van Helsing - With a Twist

kretschmannThomas Kretschmann (King Kong) has joined NBC’s Dracula as the legendary Abraham Van Helsing — but the character’s not the heroic hunter other vamp dramas have made him out to be.

In the forthcoming period drama, TVLine has learned, Kretschmann’s Van Helsing is a brilliant professor obsessed with revenge and power. He may be a greater threat to the public than the titular count (played by The Tudors‘ Jonathan Rhys Meyers).

British actor Oliver Jackson-Cohen also has been cast as Jonathan Harker, a handsome and tenacious journalist desperate to become an artstocrat.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The 10-episode series, based on Bram Stoker’s novel of the same name, finds Dracula preparing to unleash hell on the Victorian society responsible for ruining his life. But he’s thrown when he falls for a woman who’s a dead ringer for his beloved, long-deceased wife.

Kretschmann’s TV credits include The RiverFlashForward and 24. Coincidentally, he played the bloodsucking title role in the 2012 movie Dracula 3D.

Jackson-Cohen plays Roddy on the ITV series Mr. Selfridge; he also appeared in the film Going the Distance and as Prince William (opposite Girls‘ Allison Williams) in Funnyordie.com’s Will & Kate: Before Happily Ever After.

Dracula‘s cast also includes Katie McGrath (Merlin), Nonso Anonzie (Game of Thrones) and Jessica De Gouw (Arrow).

NBC has not yet announced a premiere date.

1. Shelley Csenar says:

Looks like it will be a really good n interesting show. Can,t wait to see the pilot. Love show about vampires.

2. kate says:

Ohoo, two talented and handsome actors in one show. Who cares that the female lead once again sounds like a mere object for projection and not a round character….

3. Tran says:

As an avid 24 fan, he did played Max the villain in the second season of the Fox thriller.

4. DarkHawke says:

Sounds too much like Coppola’s execrable version, but without any of the mildly distracting nudity. Pass.

5. Josh says:

In our modern, “dreamy, obessive, possessive vampires are cute!” the ones who kill the bloodthirsty murderers are the bad guys…Oh Post Twilight Vampire-ism is so sad…I miss Buffy :(

• Renee says:

True, but remember Angel and Spike. We would have been devastated if they had been killed.

• Josh says:

Eh..haha…I wouldn’t have been…I mean I was sad when Angel died but more for Buffy…Let’s face it, Bella and Elena would have let the world get sucked into hell if she got to spend more time with her boyfriend. And Spike’s final sacrifice was the first time I liked his character since season 5 :p. Of course neither stayed dead so…..:p

6. Renee says:

I don’t know about this, but I love me some Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

7. Patricia says:

Oh i love Oliver Jackson-Cohen and Jonathan and I loved Jessica on Arrow I cannot wait for this show. I hope NBC doesn’t mess it up. I currently don’t watch any of their shows.

8. mia says:

I’m really looking forward to this series!

9. Marco says:

Kretschmann is good at playing interesting villains. Check ‘The Stendhal Sydnrome’.