The CW Orders Early Renewals for Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow

blog_cw_combo_2.11.13The CW on Monday announced early pick-ups for three of its seriesSupernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Arrow.

Arrow gave The CW its best series premiere since 2009, Vampire Diaries is the network’s highest-rated show in target demos and Supernatural is up 15 percent in total audience versus last season. The dramas will be entering their second, fifth and ninth seasons in fall 2013, respectively.

RELATED | CW Pilots Include Vampire Diaries Spin-Off, Adaptations of The Selection and The Hundred

“We said last year that one of our goals was to establish building blocks to grow on, and now with our new hit Arrow and fan favorite Supernatural on Wednesday night, and the continued success of The Vampire Diaries on Thursday, we’ve been able to do that,” network president Mark Pedowitz said in a statement. “Not only do Arrow, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries perform well on-air, they’re also extremely successful for us both digitally and socially. I’m thrilled to have all three shows returning to our schedule next season.”

TVLine’s always-fresh Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

Which of these renewals are you most excited about? And which CW series do you think deserves a pick-up next?

1. jimbo says:

Yes for Arrow!

• Charlie (from Revolution) STINKS! says:

Agreed! I still am disappointed that Justin Hartley wasn’t offered the role, but can see that his interpretation is a lot dfferent than Steve’s. Either way, I’m happy that we’ll be seeing more of Arrow (and hopefully while he works out … slurp!)

• Alan says:

why would justin hartley ever have been offered the role? it wasnt a smallville spin off so it would have been completely ridiculous for an actor who worked in smallville to try and do the same character in the vastly different world that we’ve seen in arrow.
        this is the one criticism of the show that really gets to me because it just makes no sense.

• He or she very OBVIOUSLY said that he or she understands the interpretation; it’s natural for someone who liked the character in another series to want the actor who portrayed the character to continue to have work WITH that character… He or she did not say that Justin would be better, and he or she did not say that he or she was disappointed in the portrayal; he or she was simply wanting Justin to be offered the role as a nod toward the Smallville character. Furthermore, he or she said that he or she understands the difference in character interpretations. Don’t jump down his or her throat.

• Vi says:

Thank you, I couldn’t have said it better!

• Tom L. says:

Green Arrow isn’t Smallville character it is character owned by DC Comics, and Hartley most likely wasn’t offered a role because “Arrow” isn’t produced by the same people that produced Smallville.

It is not the interpretation by either actor but the that fact it’s a different production company, and they’re doing Arrow completely different than the way the producers of Smallville decided to use the character.

Hartley initially filmed an Aquaman pilot for the same producers that were producing Smallville, but it wasn’t picked up, when Aquaman appeared on Smallville Hartley wasn’t cast as Aquaman, the same producers decided to use him on Smallville except he was cast as Green Arrow.

I don’t see where Hartley would have even been considered since the producers of this series most likely wanted to establish their own mark on the character and not reuse an actor that had portrayed the character for a completely different production company. The CW didn’t produce Smallvile and they don’t produce Arrow they’re a distributor for the series The only common denominator for both series is that they’re distributed in the US by the CW and they’re both properties of DC Comics and Warner Bros. who owns part of the CW.

Tollin/Robbins Productions did Smallville, Arrow is produced by Berlanti Productions. I’ll be interested see what Berlanti Productions does with Eric Krpke’s Haunted.

• Charile (from Revolution) STINKS! says:

Thanks Taelor! Apparently someone (aka ALAN) needs to re-read my post becuase nowhere did I say that I was criticizing the show or Steve’s interpretation of the Green Arrow! Thanks again.

• Sue says:

I don’t understand how it isnt a spin off it’s a millionaire named Oliver who is Green Arrow right?

• Corwin says:

can only agree and I actually find the new actor much better than that weakling from Smallville ;)

• Samina says:

Justin Hartley was asked to do a spin-off of his character from Smallville, but he turned down the role stating something along the lines of the character of Green Arrow was done justice on Smallville.

• Alan says:

if i remember correctly he was asked about a spin off in one of his first interviews after getting the job and thats as far as it went, he shot it down instantly because he is a classy guy who didnt want media induced rumours of a spin off to over shadow a show he had only just joined.

• Bradly says:

I’m disappointed it should be Justin on arrow.

• tim says:

Where would I find what shows have been picked up for an order? Something besides just a pilot? This would really mean a lot to anyone who could direct me to the right place. Thank you

• Linda Davis says:

Glad to see this show get renewed. Usually when a new show comes on and I like it, it ends up not doing well. Glad to see that it’s not happening with this show. Like the work-out shots. Very nice on the eyes.

• jamie says:

你好。我是中国的观众。hi~i am a chinese audience.and i want to let you know that in china, there are a large number of audiences or crazy fanswho like NIKITA.and i think it’s worth for CW to have it longer since china is a large market.of couse i like TVD too.but it seems no longer to worry it for season 5.and we like her very much.

• Sherry says:

I’m glad to see the voting procedure going smoothly. I want to say that NIKITA has a tremendous goup of fans and supporters overseas, especially in China and other Asian coutries. It has also brougt a good reputation for CW. And I’m looking forward to see the next season of NIKITA~~~~
      By Sherry

• Andrew Hart says:

I am a big fan of Supernatural. But that show needs to end already I’m sorry. It’s just not as good as it was back in the day.

2. Steve says:

No surprises, but yay!

3. Lucy says:

YESSSSSS, Supernatural FINALLY getting the early pick-up it deserves!

4. Kresh says:

Three of their best shows, Even though Supernatural is ahead the other 2 ;) :D

• eddie says:

i stopped watching supernatural after season 5 due to various reasons but started watching again this season and was pleasantly surprised by what i saw. great show, hope it lasts for a long time (arrow too) .

• Eric says:

Jeremy Carver stated that his goal was a total of 10 seasons, so looks like Supernatural will be coming to a close soon. However he might change his mind in the future, I don’t know. nonetheless the show has been awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed it! :D

• SupernatSuperfan says:

if Jeremy Carver will simply renew Supernatural forever, he would forever be my Hero. Next to Dean and Sam of course. I also would like Cas back on as a perminent charatcer, but not as a human. What fun would that be?

• Toni says:

Agreed. My personal favoriteis Supernatural, Arrow and Beauty and the Beast.

5. Ashley says:

Super excited for Arrow! Yay! :D

6. wrstlgirl says:

Shocker!!! Not :-) Great news for Supernatural and Arrow!!

7. Elyse says:

awesome news i love all 3 of these shows!!! :) :)

8. MelindaB says:

Nikita and Hart of Dixie are my CW shows. I’d hate to lose either, but if I have to choose only one to keep, it would be HoD.

• mandy says:

I would feel a lot better if Hart of Dixie was one of those renewed..

• Melody Paris says:

I’m also a fan of both shows, and I have to agree that I’d choose Hart over Nikita. I totally expect Nikita to be renewed though, syndication is only a season away after all. I think it’ll end up coming down to Hart of Dixie and The Carrie Diaries. I need my Zade fix so I know who I’m rooting for.

• Sarah says:

I hope it’s not a choice between Hart of Dixie and The Carrie Diaries. I love both of those shows!! Get rid of 90210!

• Jason says:

Sorry to disagree, but I’ve found Wade much less appealing this season…and the overall arc / storyline seems to go in circles. He loves her, she loves him, no he loves HER, now she’s jealous, now he HATES her, now he’s dating her, now she hates her…..

There is no substance to Hart of Dixie. Gilmore Girls, by contrast, had the strong dynamics of three generations of complex relations, plus a town full of quirky folks we *cared* about, and romance on many levels. Hart of Dixie is a mere shell of GG, a show I believe CW wanted to emulate. Ratings are down, show should go…in favor of some of the hot new pilots.

• ZADE, ZADE, and only ZADE!!!!!!

• Jamie says:

HoD FTW definitely! I’m addicted now — it’s like going to visit the Gilmores’ hometown. Please don’t take Bluebell away!

9. Oh my god, I cannot tell you how glad I am that Supernatural is renewed. I’m gonna have a seriously hard time when it finally ends, but I don’t want it to be now.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

I am SOOO not ready to give up my weekly Dean and Sam candy. RAWR! :)

• SupernatSuperfan says:

I know, right? The thought of not having my Sam and Dean fix is heartwrenchingly depressing. I vote that they have more scenes where they are shirtless!

10. hello says:

Also announed the sky is blue. Can’t they just say Nikita will get a 4th season, we all know they will

• I think that it will, too. People keep saying that it does really well internationally, and it does better on Friday nights than some shows do on other weeknights.

• KathyM665 says:

Nikita is by far the most interesting and complex show in this line up and the huge fan base the show has outside of the US is also a big plus for it, but I am not really sure where else they could go with the story. I want it to remain as awesome and compelling as it is instead of being dragged out for too long and losing its potency. However I will never get enough of Mikita and Salex so I would not complain if they found an interesting way to continue into season 4.

• Shuayb says:

I am 70% sure that there will be a season 4 but that will probably be it. The ratings are good for the cw and for friday night but it is not going to be financially feasible unless they strike syndication deals asap.

• James says:

[SPOILERS] If you’ve watched last week’s ep then you know that the ‘evil’ division is coming back with all the kill orders so they could easily do a final season based on division’s rise and Nikita finally taking it down (as well as Amanda)

• i totally agree with u. Can’t get enough of mikita and salex. i love NIKITA!!

11. kate says:

supernatural, f*ck yeah.

12. Dilys says:

So happy to read that Supernatural has been renewed. Now please resign Misha Collins as a regular. I can’t wait till he see the MOL set. We need more Cas in Season 9.

• Alan says:

is there anything more they can really do with him as a regular? as it is he is starting to feel a little shoehorned in.

• Cheryl says:

Oh I so agree Castiels been show horned in for seasons now and I hope Carver who looks to be setting it up gives him a proper departure one as good as his entrance, Castiel needs to hear Naomi ring that bell and be allowed into Heaven, my guess by sacrificing himself
        I like the Castile in this season as hes like the original castile who I loved so much until the joke they made of his character by force fitting him in season after season and with him needing to creat another Angel mythology to fit him being in it and the damage it did to this show and its characters

• madhatter360 says:

Even when he was a regular, he only appeared in about half the episodes of the season.

• Nike says:

I couldn’t agree more. I liked that they came up with something more interestind than Leviathans this season but at the moment I’m kind of disappointed that they keep avoiding to pick the plot up again that they started a few episodes ago. So I don’t get why they don’t write more episodes about everything that is going on in heaven instead of (probably) squeezing it into the last two episodes. That way it would make more sense for Cas to be around. There is a ton of things that could happen that would justify having him as a regular character again, but somehow I doubt that this is going to happen :( So in my opinion, they should either have him back more regularly instead of chopping up the story line so much by throwing in random episodes or they should get rid of him completly with the kind of exit that he deserves….though I’d prefer having him back :)

• Alan says:

probably because they have run out of stuff to do with heaven and dont want to repeat themselves, as far as i can tell they are already gearing up for writing cas out with how his story has gone this year

• SupernatSuperfan says:

Looks like Cas is comming back this season as a regular, and I’m looking forward to it as well. I just don’t want hin to return as a human.

• Minion says:

Absolutely agree with you! More Cas! Misha Collins is too fantastic not to be a regular on that awesome show!

13. lil ole me says:

any news on Beauty and the Beast? :(

• Elyse says:

they won a peoples choice award! it would be crazy if it didn’t get renewed.

• iMember says:

That doesn’t mean anything.

• Elyse says:

tell that to the other new shows that didn’t get crap! it obviously means that BATB has a bigger following than the network realizes.

• Spike says:

last years winner was canceled after spring …

• Alan says:

it means the teenage girls are a little more insane in their devotion than to other shows, thats all. never use the peoples choice awards to gage anything.

• lau says:

PCA’s isnt something you can actually count on… rating is! PCA’s you can vote as many time as you wish… doesnt mean that people watching the show… it’s only mean that the show have a strong fan base OR that the other fans of other show dont give a crap bout PCA…. «Not only do Arrow, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries perform well on-air, they’re also extremely successful for us both digitally and socially» That’s why Arrow, TVD and SPN are all getting renew… not cuz of a PCA… neither of TVD and Arrow won a PCA in 2013

• Andy says:

With that logic, I’d be looking forward to a new batch of Leverage episodes this summer.

• Claudia Keller says:

BATB fandom is getting bigger, the CW standards are different than the other networks, having a good loyal fandom means a lot to a little show, tell that to TVD and Supernatural fandoms!!! :)

• I think they really need to realize there is a following for Beauty and the Beast for being such a new show…they need to give BATB a second season!! Seriously too many guy shows on tv, they need a good intense romantic cop show on there. Us girls watch tv too.

• Moonlight4evr says:

Moonlight won a People’s Choice Award but it was still cancelled by CBS. Let’s hope the CW is smarter and they renew Beauty & the Beast!

• alexis says:

THIS SHOW IS AWESOMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 IT DESERVES A RENEWAL MORE THEN ANYONE ELSE JUST LOOK AT THE POLE ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE PEOPLE GIVE IT A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!1 ITS IMPROVED SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!! AND IF YOU DO DECIDE YOU LIKE IT BE SURE TO TUNE IN ON THURSDAY MARCH 14 8/9 CENTRAL OR YOUR TIME ZONE!!!!!1 PLEASE GIVE IT A SEASON 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• BATB says:

now. i’m a chinese girl.BATB have a great influence and many fans in china .they won PLA.we have great hope for it.

14. susie says:

Come on for Beauty and the Beast!!!

15. Tiffany says:

Hoping that Hart of Dixie news is coming soon. While I don’t like what they’ve done to the character of George, the rest of the cast is finally coming together and the storylines have begun to make more sense (except for George… poor guy. Remember when he was a smart lawyer in Season 1 — smart enough to have practiced in the big city for a while before coming back to Bluebell?)

• Katherine215 says:

for me, George is so much more likable and interesting this season. The stuffy lawyer routine was so boring.

• Gillian says:

Love Hart of Dixie too. While I’m happy about TVD & Arrow, I am hoping that HOD gets a renewal. It is a fantastic show!

• Alice says:

Awww, I like how Tansy throws George off balance. I don’t think it makes him seem stupid, he’s just adjusting to being single for the first time in his adult life. And I love Wade and Zoe, I really hope this gets renewed. The CW needs one show that’s not about supernatural powers or crime fighters or crime fighters WITH supernatural powers. Those areas are well covered.

• Bellaz says:

I hope it’s renewed just love the show and there’s not one character in it that doesn’t hold my interest which is unusual.

16. Supernatural <3 I'm so freaking happy i can't contain myself! :D

17. kate says:

next order of business: give Sam a haircut.

18. Andy says:

So happy for Supernatural and Arrow!

19. Deion says:

After Season 5, it was a forgone conclusion that Supernatural would continue as long as Jensen and Jared were up for it. I predict they’ll go for 10 seasons. Now, let’s talk Nikita!

20. Caz says:

Just posting some love for The Vampire Diaries <3 so glad there's another season underway. I couldn't imagine the show ending. It's too awesome ;) x

• Toni says:

Absolutely! I feel that show started off strong and continually gets better every episode and every season!!! So happy to know it’s staying on the air.

21. ddddddd says:

Renew Nikita next please!

22. WTactualF says:

Heart of Dixie news????

23. LVIII says:

I don’t care about any of these. Where’s the renewal for Nikita?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

NIKITA has never been renewed earlier than the first week of May.

• Stephanie says:

This pains me. The anticipation is deadly.

• karomu says:

Every year I almost give up and then shamefully give a little whoop of excitement when it is renewed. I love Nikita it is so interesting and I love this new storyline/conflict for Mikita. Also is it just me or is Ryan becoming a young Percy?? I mean their stories are actually quite similar, they both started in the CIA, then met a woman who presented an opportunity for more power, then ran division and then turned crazy evil, although this last step hasn’t quite happened for Ryan yet.

24. Melody Paris says:

This is simply the best news-another season with the Winchesters. I was expecting all of these renewals, but it simply makes you feel good when they finally come through. Arrow’s a great show as well and The Vampire Diaries performs well on the struggling network. Now we are just left to ponder all the Bubble shows.

25. Kristen says:

Great news! I love all 3!

26. Jared says:

Not surprised at all but Arrow really is a great show for the CW. Looking forward to the rest of this season and where the show will go creatively in season 2.

27. Josh says:

Happy for Arrow! Im glad there is at least one new show im into that will back next year!

28. Drew says:

Jeremy Carver has said that his arc will carry Supernatural through season 10. So, story-wise, this isn’t a surprise. But it’s nice to have it renewed so early.

Arrow has been a great addition to the CW lineup. After years of forcing stupid Gossip Girl and 90210 type shows that just didn’t work, the network finally took a step toward growing into a real network… a step toward becoming more WB and less UPN. Emily Owens was another pleasant show, but that’s gone. I wouldn’t mind seeing 90210 and The Carrie Diaries go away, but I’ll understand if they want some diversity, just as long as they continue to build up more shows in different areas.

I’m looking forward to Cult. Hoping it’s better than The Following. If it’s good, this will be a huge season for the CW. If it’s crap… well, at least they’ll have Arrow as a win this year.

• Elyse says:

i’ve been watching 90210 from the beginning but its just been awful lately… really since they left high school! after last weeks i finally stopped watching. its just too much of a train wreck. i would like to see 90210 get canceled but not the Carrie Diaries. i really like that show!!

• anonymous says:

get over it and the following is on Fox and it’s an awesome show if you don’t like that show don’t bother writing about it

• Drew says:

What does Fox have to do with it? I just said that I hope Cult is better.

And I have as much right to comment on The Following as you have to comment on my comment. Nature hates a paradox, dude. Go away.

29. Shari says:

COME ON HART OF DIXIE!!!!

30. Michelle says:

Now I just need good news for BatB, Nikita and HoD!

31. sa says:

Most excited about TVD although I do enjoy Arrow also. Really hoping for a Hart of Dixie pickup next. it’s not the best show on tv but it is one of the ones I look forward to the most.

32. Beauty and the Beast!!! I want season 2!

33. Terry says:

I kind of gotinto Emily owens but didnt care for her choice.
    I loive Arrow yay yay
    yay

• Alice says:

I’m with you on Emily Owens. I saw the last scene and shouted “Well, FINE, I’m glad you got cancelled you’re too stupid to go on!”

I may have been a little bit tipsy at the time.

• Hannah says:

The creator of the show said that they wanted to end the first season with Emily’s huge mistake, and then have her spend the second season trying to make it up to Micah (who the writers wanted her to end up with). They just got cancelled before they could do that.

34. BTW, folks, I told you last spring…Supernatural is in zero danger of going anywhere. Mark Pedowitz loves the show and knows the strong fanbase. It is one of the CW’s prime cornerstone series. You can write it in ink…it’s back not only for S9, but also for S10, as both actors are already signed. Done deal.

35. Fabe says:

Now just cancel 90210 for sure. I woudn’t mind if they canceled HOD and Nikita really; I don’t watch either shows. Beauty and the Beast could go too. I only watch The Vampire Diaries and sometimes Arrow if that wasn’t noticeable haha.

36. Christi says:

Yea. I hope Hart of Dixie gets renewed.

37. aida says:

what about Beauty and the Beast ?? :) we want season 2 ! some of this shows R just Renew again & again !! of course i love TVD but as much as it Renew for another season it get’s Nothing to say!

38. dragons3 says:

Now if “Supernatural” would just find a way to resurrect John Winchester for a couple of episodes. Bobby, too, for that matter. Also wish they’d find a way to uncancel “Emily Owes”. That was a nice little show and they never gave it a chance. It was much better than some of the crap they keep bringing back “90210”, “Gossip Girl”.

39. Happy about Supernatural – now they just need to renew Nikita!

40. buddyholly15 says:

Yes!!! For Supernatural, And Arrow.
    Hope they give Dean better role, not just taking care of Sam. YAY!!!!

41. Kathi says:

YAY!!! Supernatural!!! :) -and to make it even better…. hopefully Misha as a REGULAR!!!

42. Heather says:

Bring back Emily Owens!!!! Other than that, I don’t mind the Carrie Diaries.

43. Stefanie says:

I want Beauty and the Beast to get renewed. The first few eps, just like in the first season of TVD, were a bit sketchy but then the show finally hit its stride and hooked me with episode 4! I’d like to think that their People’s Choice win makes them a sure bet for the CW but being a avid TV watcher means that every so often you get burned! CW, if you’re lurking ’round the internets, keep the Beasties happy and give BatB another season, pretty please. (Also, I am definitely happy that Arrow and TVD were renewed!)

44. Shannon says:

Haven’t seen Arrow, and haven’t watched Supernatural since season 3… However I love Vampire Diaries and truly hope Beauty and the Beast and Hart of Dixie get renewed!!

45. Kate says:

Excited for Supernatural though a lot of that depends on Misha coming back as a regular. The show wasn’t the same without Cas in season 7 – I stopped watching. I need him as a fan, and so do many other fans. I’m hoping to get him back full-time.

46. faith says:

So happy for TVD =) Season 4 hasn’t been as good as previous ones but it’s still a great show. And of course Delena needs to continue to develop – one of the best love stories in history =)

The acting in Arrow is just plain awful, stiff and wooden. And it’s a Batman/Superman hybrid. But, there’s something about the that’s addictive.

Now here’s hoping HOD and Nikita get some love too!

• georgiamadman says:

You should be called “Blind Faith”.TVD is an awful clone of an even more awful movie. Arrow’s acting in the creits is better than TVD’s best moments.

• Ruby says:

Shows how much you know. TVD was written long before Twilight was ever even a thought. I read those books when I was a teenager and I’m nearly 40 now, so they’ve been around for a while. If anything was a copycat, it’s Twilight.

• tee says:

well in fairness the poster you were replying to never even mentioned twilight. she only said its a clone of an awful movie. so maybe their were vampire movies and shows long before TVD was written too.

• Kate75 says:

I totally agree with you georgiamadman, Arrow is so much better than TVD. The love triangle in TVD is what is killing TVD. The writing is so bad, I can’t stand it anymore.

• DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

Ummm, Arrow isn’t a “Batman/Superman hybrid”… it’s based off of the Green Arrow. And the acting isn’t that bad.

I watch Vampire Diaries (yeah, STILL) and the first three seasons were entertaining. This one… meh. Whiny Elena, useless but kept around Originals, “sire bond” crap, etc have ruined it. Bring back Katherine, send Klaus to his spinoff, and let Elena either be with Damon by choice or be with Stefan.

• alexis says:

i no i cant contain my excitement for tvd and im more for stelena the delena but i have nothing against damon hes super sexy and funny ill be happy either way:)

• alexis says:

also really rooting for beauty and the beast!!!!!!!! come on beauty u can do it!!!!!!!!!1 please renew for a season 2 mark!!!!!!!! its awesome and ive learned that this is probably my favorite show on tv!!!!!!1 im obssesed!!!!!!!!!!! but great new for TVD