Ratings: Touch Down, Bum Job, CSI: NY Ties Season High, Nikita Ticks Up

TOUCH_112-SC47_0010Fox’s rejiggered, more-24ier-than-ever! Touch returned on Friday night to 3.8 million total viewers and a 1.0 demo rating across its two-hour opener. That’s down 20 and 23 percent from its Season 1 finale. (The series’ launch led out of Idol so… oranges.)

Also opening on the low side Friday was CBS’ The Job, which with 4.1 mil and a 0.9 was down more than 50 percent from time slot predecessor Undercover Boss and only outrated Nikita in the 8 o’clock hour.

Lead-out CSI: NY (9.44 mil/1.6) nonetheless ticked up to match its season high in the demo. Blue Bloods was flat at 11.1 mil/1.5, drawing the night’s largest audience (as always).

Elsewhere:

* The CW’s aforementioned Nikita (1.42 mil/0.5) was up 15 percent and a tenth.

* Both ABC’s Last Man Standing (7.35 mil/1.6) and Malibu Country (6.2 mil/1.3) saw gains — and ABC notes that the latter now stands as this TV season’s most-watched new comedy (edging out NBC’s Go On). Shark Tank (6.2 mil/1.9) nabbed the night’s best demo rating, but dropped a few eyeballs week-to-week.

* NBC’s all-news Friday line-up fared well, with Dateline (7 mil/1.5) surging 60 and 36 percent in its earlier slot and drawing its largest audience in 16 months. Rock Center (5.5 mil/1.3) surged 63 percent in the demo from its last Thursday outing and scored its best numbers since Sept. 13.

1. Elyse says:

woo!! good for Nikita!

2. Mandy says:

Whoa! Go Nikita! I didn’t think it would rise with the return of Touch.

3. Andy says:

More people are watching Malibu Country than Go On? Reba’s nice and all, but really, that saddens me.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And GO ON’s season average has a buncha lead-in from THE VOICE.

• Danielle H. says:

I’ll say this. I watch both. Both have vast moments that make me bored, M.C. more then G.O. I mainly watch M.C. only because I can only watch still movement TV, and it’s steady shot so it’s a go for me. But it’s pretty darn boring. They could punch it up SOOO much more. They lean on Reba wayyy to much, and to me in my own person opinion, she’s not that funny. G.O. can sometimes be good, but then I’ll find myself not wanting to watch it for weeks. I see no way that G.O.’s storyline can be continued long term though. You already wonder why he’s still in the group.

4. Tran says:

Hope Jack Bauer is really ticked off at those ratings. Really hate to see Touch getting canceled after two seasons and they won’t followed in the footsteps of Fringe which is already wrapped the series after five years. #savetouch

5. Great for Nikita, hope it doesn’t adjust down… it shouldn’t because the half-hours were 0.6 and 0.5, but there were apparently preemptions because of the storm, so I’m being cautious.

6. Nancy says:

Touch really upped their game. Thought the show had much more energy and depth. Their PR person should spread the word about the changes so that more viewers will check it out.

7. Kresh says:

Loved Nikita last night, I am from Kosovo and the detail on that episode was really fun to see, everything from Kosovo’s flag to the map was correct and that was fun to see :)

I only thing that I hated was the russian kind of made up language that they made up and it was weiiiiirreddd ^^

8. Mike says:

Looks like ABC is considering their Frday comedies a success, as far as Friday shows goes. Go On still better though.

9. Loved CSI NY…The episodes just keep getting better and better. Hoping for a season 10.

10. ollie says:

Yay for nikita!

11. Lisa says:

Yay Nikita !!! One of my favorite shows on TV!!!!

12. English says:

Touch needs to be on a different day. Idol needs to stop hogging Fox’s time slots!

13. Chicago Dan says:

I hope CBS regrets cutting the already short order (18) of CSI:NY by 1. It has been better performing in demo or tied with BB recently. Once it’s gone in a couple of weeks, CBS will be left with flop TJ and Golden Boy. Friday is slipping away from them fast.

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

CBS has some decisions to make regarding Friday nights – and perhaps even 10pm on Sunday/Tuesday and maybe even Thursday. It will probably come down to CSI:NY, Mentalist, Golden Boy and Vegas. I don’t think more than two, maybe one (?) of the shows can be brought back for next fall. That’s rough, but I think that may be coming. My guess is Vegas will go to the Friday 9pm slot, but I would like to see another season of CSY:NY and Sela. We’ll see, but it may not happen – it may come down to least-cost program with best potential for ratings.

The other wild card is how many dramas CBS will need next season, and what will happen to the 9pm Thursday slot? If CBS maintains a drama in that slot [PoI], then I think a show like ‘Mentalist’ can make it another season. If CBS goes with comedies in the Thursday 9pm slot, then I think PoI will move back to 10pm Thursday, and Elementary may need to be moved over to Sundays at 10pm. If CBS holds onto the drama slot at 9pm/Thursday, then no changes to their Thursday night lineup, and Mentalist may be spared and remain on Sunday/10pm.

I’m of the belief that 2.5 Men may be moved into that Thursday/9pm slot this fall, and if that is the case, that will create the domino-effect of moving the dramas around the schedule as noted in the above paragraph. I think CBS will want to premiere a new series at 10pm Tuesday [NCIS:LA?], so if Golden Boy does well this spring, then Vegas may not be coming back either. In any scenario, I’m also assuming CSI will stay at 10 on Wednesday. But from this list, CBS may end up canceling quite a few dramas – a shame, but no space for them all. Would be interesting to see if NBC might consider grabbing at least one of these dramas, but I doubt it. They’ll want Universal/NBC produced material.

14. LynnH says:

I really loved last night’s Touch. Deep stuff. Great having Maria Bello, Greg Ellis and Lukas Haas on this rather intense arc. There should be a place on TV for a spiritual show like Touch besides Friday night.

• Delia says:

Yeah, but I’m not real big on this lame imitation of Sylar storyline. Come on, Tim Kring! You’ve already done the “gifted serial killer” thing, AND this guy is no Zacary Quinto.

15. Jason geller says:

CSI ny is great. Don’t understand why it’s a shorter season. 10 million viewers on a Friday night ? But stupid comedies like 2 broke girls and Molly and whatever stay on ? Touch –> great show. Requires thought so most people won’t watch. Most people in this country would prefer honny boo boo a certifiable over exposrd moron as entertainment : America I just don’t get you

16. Mac says:

A little something for everyone.

17. Alan says:

nice to see nikita go up, i didnt expect it with touch back (free terrible pun for the tvline staff to use: people are out of touch) and that new how i met your mother/police procedural thingy on the cbs. hopefully the cw sees this a good thing because that episode was just excellent.

18. Sarahliz says:

We also need to remember all of the people who weren’t watching due to the storm.

19. NikitaFever says:

Nikita KING ! better for Nikita

20. jenna says:

I really enjoyed the Touch episodes. I lost interest last season, but this one shows promise.

21. Moonlight4evr says:

Touch is a tought provocating show. It deserves a much better time slot.

CSI NY also deserves better treatment my imrhe network.

All these music shows need to me canceled and removed from the air. I am sick of all the quality shows being moved from their time slots just for them! I do not watch any of them nor do I buy any of the music.

22. Mikael says:

So glad Nikita’s ratings were up! I like LMS and MC, but I didn’t get to see them because ABC was having blizzard coverage in my area and the episodes weren’t reaired.