Pilot Scoop: Grey's Anatomy Alum Kim Raver to Headline CBS' NCIS: LA Spin-Off

NCIS LA Spin-Off Cast Kim RaverKim Raver has scored the female lead in CBS’ NCIS: Los Angeles spin-off, TVLine has learned.

The Grey’s Anatomy and 24 actress will play Special Agent Paris, the athletic, smart, witty and bold leader of the Red team. Paris has a Degree in Forensic Science, can drive a golf ball 300 yards and has a brain snapping IQ in the 98th percentile. She prefers to, and often does, work alone.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get the Scoop on This Season’s (Possible) Newcomers

Raver, who recently scored a recurring role on NBC’s Revolution,  joins a cast that also includes John Corbett, Scott Grimes (ER), Edwin Hodge (Cougar Town), Gillian Alexy (Damages), and Miguel Ferrer, who’ll juggle both the L.A. edition and the offshoot.

We’ll get our first glimpse of the spin-off — in which a mobile team of agents live and work together as they cross the country solving crimes — when it airs as a two-part episode of NCIS: LA later this season.

1. Elle says:

YES! I love NCIS & NCIS: LA, but I wasn’t sure about this one. The cast sounds awesome so I’ll give it a try.

• Ed says:

Sounds like they are gonna pollute NCIS like they did with all of the CSI spinoffs… too many… two is the limit

• Stacey says:

Depends. NCIS: Original succeeds largely due to the chemistry, and the personal interplay more so than the case. NCIS: LA has the chemistry. Although it’s very much more intense. So I think NCIS might not be the same comparison. Although they are extending the franchise. I assume it’s going to be a NCIS Tuesday. With Red going in at 9 p.m to get the bounce from the successful original and LA moving to 10 p.m.

• I HOPE NOT!!! It’s an offshoot of LA, which is an “offshoot” (they claim, I doubt) of the original. It needs the bounce of the superior LA.

• Stacey says:

10 p.m. has been a hard timeslot for CBS to program on Tuesdays. So they might want something known in the timeslot. And put the new guy, unproven behind the show that still gets 20 million on a good day. I guess it depends on what the show looks like, and how it feels. Better fit after NCIS. Or after NCIS: LA.

• Dani says:

@Stacey – Well said, Stacey :) More importantly…I strongly believe this newest version of NCIS is helping to secure the “Dynasty” if you will, because the parent show will soon be saying goodbye – and it needs to, as it is – as you said – more “character driven”, rather than storyline-driven. The characters are beginning to show their age. “LA” is more intense than NCIS & definitely relies more on the storylines – very good writing over there!! My guess is that “LA” will eventually take the 8:00 slot, and this new one will move in right behind it at 9:00, to glean from “LA” ‘s viewership.

• Stacey says:

I am not sure LA is a 8 p.m. show. It’s very intense. Lot of gun fights, and violence at times. Red sounds maybe in the vein of the original. But different. So yeah it’s going to be interesting. But NCIS keeps on going. It could go on forever at this rate…

• eddie says:

CBS is getting desperate…… theyre afraid of losing their title of number 1 network so they create spinoffs and create shows that are nearly identical to one another….. they should really think of a new strategy before their ratings start looking like nbc’s.

• Stacey says:

Actually NCIS: LA is very different from the mothership. Much more intense. NCIS: Original usually takes on the ordinary crimes, with some terrorism mixed in. LA takes on terrorism most of the time. I think the first two are very different. So we’ll see how the third one is…

• Jeremy says:

NCIS is a spin-off of JAG, and NCIS: LA is a spin off of NCIS so this one will be the fourth series.

• Shane says:

NCIS was a spinoff of JAG.

• Lindam says:

I agree! too many NCIS’s I always watch the one with agent Gibbs, Ziva, and the rest. The actors are all great together

• Tran says:

Don’t know why millions of people are always “obsessed” of watching NCIS & NCIS: L.A. respectively. When will the torture stops and has CBS done enough with spin-offs lately? Sorry if I let myself down and for that I apologize. Please forgive me :-(

• Tania says:

Good lord. Another NCIS crapfest. Come on CBS be bold and stop being so lazy. The sad part is that there will be an audience comprising of people like Elle ready for the same damn thing. Seriously, no imagination CBS. None whatsoever.

• Ana says:

NCIS gets about 20 million viewers a week. It is their highest rated drama. I personally do not watch it but I doubt it could be qualified as a ‘crapfest’ with the numbers they get. They are targeting their audience and this is what their audience (which skews older) likes.

2. Meg says:

Someone’s giving Dick Wolf a run for his franchise.

3. maki says:

so she will probably die in Revolution. and be the reason charlie and nathan can not be together.

beside that I really love Kim. I loved her in lipstick and even more in GA. so she is a reason to watch this.

4. shuayb says:

Yes! Amazing! I hope this gets a full season order! I want Kim Raver on my screen!

5. Mark says:

I really wish she’d stop getting work.

6. Elyse says:

I actually like her. I can’t wait!!

7. Tran says:

Looks like her time on Revolution is coming to an end after the season is over if the action/adventure series gets renewed for a second season by NBC and break the serialized curse once and for all. Hope the NCIS: L.A. spin-off gets picked up as a series for CBS by the time the upfronts begins in May.

• Svenja says:

I am pretty sure it will. The NCIS shows draw in the largest audience (along with TBBT). This one will succeed too … I wasn’t so thrilled about this when I heared it (and I am a die-hard NCIS fan) but through name-casting they got me intrigued.

8. Svenja says:

I never planned on watching this. But now with Kim Raver, Scott Grimes and John Corbett I have to watch it since all of these are actors I adore. Kudos to CBS. Your casting choices actually made me change my mind

9. Ana says:

Yes, yes,YES!!!!! She deserves it!! It was shameful the way she was booted off Greys. I don’t like NCIS or CBS but I will tune in for Kim. And she’s going to be playing a badass. Nicely done! Although I guess that means she won’t be coming back to Revolution. Well, that’s fine. She was being underutilized anyways. Congratulations Ms. Raver.

10. TW says:

Raves for Kim Raver! Yay! Big giant thumbs down to John Corbett though. Ugh. One of the most annoying actors on television. Horrible choice.

11. Sally says:

My inner Third Watch fangirl is screaming. Really happy for her, but I didn’t quite picture Paris like her from the description. Oh well, I’m sure she’ll do great with the role. Really hoping the spin-off will be worth watching.

12. jacob says:

I, too, am glad to see Kim Raver get another show. I’ve seen her in shows since Third Watch.

13. lindsey says:

Been a fan of Kim Raver since 24. Can’t wait to watch

• magickster says:

They should market it as more a stand alone show instead of a spin off. Comparing shows can be suicide. Like Raver though and Aussie Alexy.

14. Alan says:

the description sounds a little like female gibbs, which i thought the franchise already had in abigail borin, nonetheless i love female characters in lead roles on shows like this so its fine by me that they want to try to make another kick ass woman.

• Stacey says:

It probably is a female Gibbs. But I saw more of Abby Schuto in the description, except this one will be agent and team leader!

• papnana says:

I so agree with you Alan, I also took it as a female Gibbs (which would be great, IF she can carry it off?) I really was hoping Abigail Borin would have been cast as a regular or given her own series. I really don’t like the name NCIS Red–sounds so, I don’t know, out of sync? IMO that is.

15. Stacey says:

Interesting finally one of the NCIS spinoffs have a female lead. Along with the male lead in John Corbitt. This should be interesting. I am curious now about this spinoff.

16. bosco66 says:

I miss Third Watch…..

17. Cara says:

Happy for Kim Raver! I like her on Revolution so it will be interesting to see what happens to her character.

18. MissyLady says:

Ugh. CBS really needs to lay off on creating multiple copies of the same shows!

• Larc says:

NCIS and NCIS: LA are very different animals. The biggest similarity is the name of the organization both teams work for. NCIS:Red sounds as if it will be very different from either of them.

• Zorkel567 says:

But why should they stop if people are watching? Viewers like spin offs, and they bring in the ratings. If they didn’t, CBS would stop.

19. diane says:

I definately won’t watch now. Not a big fan.

20. Marcy says:

Was definitely not a choice I was hoping for. Never have cared for her

21. Maria says:

Kim Raver and Scott Grimes? I’m in.

• Juan macker says:

I am in love with Kim Raver. Always has been. Always will be. I just hope it doesn’t turn out to be like the awful Criminal Minds: LA Offshoot with Forest Whitaker who thought he was Christian Bale in Batman, whispering all the time.

22. Philipp says:

Love her! I just wish she’d be in something I’d be interested in watching…

23. A says:

I completely glanced over the headline and just saw her name and Grey’s Anatomy. I wish she could return to GA sometime. Really missing Teddy.

24. Jennifer says:

I was all set to watch this given John Corbett and Scott Grimes but now they’ve kind of screwed it up by adding Kim who has annoyed me in almost everything she’s been on since 24. I would honestly rather see newer faces on this show, if CBS is so confident in all these spinoffs they should have no trouble using newer faces instead of trying to shove all these “names” into these roles.

• Stacey says:

This time they went for television names. Instead of movie and music stars that they did with NCIS: LA. Most shows want names before unknowns if they can arrange it. And plus Kim was taken until three weeks ago, when her next project got rejected and passed over. So she became available.

25. Andrew Falconer says:

So are all actors going to be employed for a TV series, or will it always be the same selection for most of the TV series? How do the producers pick their favorites?

26. Herb Finn says:

Anyone notice there are more “known” people in this cast then NCIS:LA had in it’s original 2-part pilot “Legend”?

• Ana says:

I don’t watch NCIS or NCIS:LA but I would venture to say that LL Cool J, academy award winner Linda Hunt, veteran Miguel Ferrer and movie star Chris O’Donnell have greater recognition and weight in the biz than the cast for Red. I’m a big John Corbert and Kim Raver fan but I know that they have not had the exposure and success that the LA cast has had.

27. dee123 says:

No love for Third Watch? For shame.

28. Katy says:

where are the good looking guys? not gonna succeed if there aren’t any ;)
    … (in my opinion)

• Ana says:

First of all, John Corbert is hot. Second, how many good looking guys in the original NCIS and yet that is more successful than NCIS:LA with hotties LL and Chris.

29. Cottage101 says:

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaah BEST. NEWS. ALL. DAY!! Hope we get at least one scene with her, Deeks and Kensi. Will definitely give it a try now :D

30. Tania says:

• papnana says:

NCIS is a great show, IMO, in fact the only “known” name from the beginning was Mark Harmon & Sasha Alexander, but they all became well known in time & they continue to have wonderful story lines & the chemistry amongst the cast is dynamic. I just hope the spin-off does not screw up the whole franchise, can’t wait to at least give it a chance with an open mind. But come on Wolf, bring back Borin–Her & Gibbs yes?

31. Tali says:

think I’m the only one who dislikes KR. Never liked her in anything and I doubt I’ll like her in the spin-off.

32. Song4ten says:

The cast sounds interesting (with the exception of Miguel Ferrar, whose character I just can’t stand) but if this show replaces Vegas, I will not be happy.

33. valeen says:

Not a huge fan of hers, but will be watching to see how this one will compare to the other 2, both of which I love.