TVLine Items: HBO Orders Pilot From Lost Boss, Community Premiere Trends and More!

The Leftover Pilot OrderHBO has given a pilot order to The Leftovers, a drama project from Lost boss Damon Lindelof and author Tom Perrotta, Vulture reports.

Based on the 2011 novel of the same name, the prospective series examines life on Earth after a Rapture-like event occurs.

Lindelof will co-write and executive-produce the pilot with Perrotta, and also will act as showrunner should HBO move forward with the series.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Community not only returned Thursday night with a ratings boost — it was a Twitter-trending-topic monster! Between the East and West Coast airings of the NBC comedy’s Season 4 premiere, more than 20 hashtags trended across the United States, including #WhoWillWinTheHungerDeans, #CoolCoolCool, #ThisIsOct19, #TroyAndAbedBackFromSummer, #AmericanSwordCooks and #FredWillard. Additionally, #NewJeff and #Chang also enjoyed some worldwide trending time.

RELATED | Community Season 4: 6 Scoopy Bits Revealed!

Michael Rooker, who plays The Walking Dead‘s Merle, is set to appear in Mythbusters’ upcoming zombie-themed episode, EW.com reports. The installment will test which weapons are really best to kill the undead.

• IFC has renewed the star-studded, improv-based Comedy Bang! Bang! for a 20-episode second season.

The UK’s ITV has picked up the Jeremy Piven-starring period drama Mr. Selfridge for a 10-episode second season, per Deadline.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Pilots, Premieres, Reality TV, Renewals, TVLine Items

1. Tran says:

Community is here to stay. #sixseasonsandamovie

2. Mel says:

The Leftovers sound promising, especially since it’s HBO. I’d probably pass if it was a network show.

3. harry says:

#sixseasonsandamovie

4. cp1945 says:

“The Leftovers” is a terrific read, about those left behind when loved ones and acquaintances, some seemingly undeserving, are raptured. It is not a religious story, and could support seasons of excellent episodes.

5. Mark says:

Leftovers seems depressing. No thanks.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

I really wish I hadn’t set my expectations so high for Community’s return. I knew it was a mistake to do so, but I did it anyway. I blame the 8 1/2 month wait for that. There were a few funny/cute things in the episode, but overall, I’m very nervous about future episodes, because this one really wasn’t that good. I have really big complaints about the camerawork, oddly enough, that’s what was killing it for me, and also the pace was a little slower than normal. It should be interesting to see what happens to their ratings next week. They could potentially have a huge drop-off due to disappointed fans and gawkers who just wanted to see what it would be like without Dan Harmon. I’ll still watch though. I’ll always watch, no matter how bad it gets, because whenever a show I like goes downhill, I always have hope it will get better and stick with it to the bitter end.

• Andie says:

You had camerawork problems during the regular part of the episode, or the sitcom in Abed’s head part? Because the Abed show camerawork was supposed to be terrible, if I’m understanding what the new guys were trying to do.

• filmex2000 says:

It was like watching Ron Howard remake “Inception”.

7. topoopon says:

They tried WAAAYY too hard to be spoofy. Just give us the group sitting around a table.

8. Craig Hansen says:

Is it just me, or did Community come off strangely flat and listless in its return? I loved the show in its first three seasons, but the debut episode felt like a bunch of less-talented writers trying hard to capture the “Community style of humor” with most of it falling flat.

• michele says:

Pilot, and whole premoise of show, sucked so bad, knew it would f the trailers. Yikes please cancel ,HBO