NBC Cancels Do No Harm After Two Episodes; SVU Repeats to Fill Thursday Void

Do No Harm CancelledNBC has permanently suppressed Dr. Cole’s evil alter ego.

The network on Friday afternoon pulled the plug on its Jekyll-and-Hyde-esque medical thriller  Do No Harm after just two anemically rated episodes.

The freshman drama’s Jan. 31 debut garnered 3.1 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating, making it the lowest-rated, in-season debut of any scripted Big 4 series ever. This week’s second installment fared worse, dropping to just over 2 million viewers and a 0.7 demo rating.

Do No Harm wrapped production on its initial 13-episode order last month; it’s unclear if the 11 remaining episodes will see the light of day.

Encores of Law & Order: SVU will fill the Thursday-at-10 void through Feb. 21. It’s possible that Bryan Fuller’s anticipated Hannibal will take over the time slot in the spring.

TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard has been updated with the news.

Please deposit your eulogies in the comments section.

1. Kris says:

that has to be some kind of record :D

• Mike says:

I wanted to like this show but it really was terrible.

• Tarc says:

Pasquale could carry as show, but the concept, plot, and writing was totally unwatchable. That was one of the worst 5 pilots I’ve ever seen. Ever. The setup was just so utterly unbelievable and distatseful.

• Lena says:

Completely agree. I really wanted to like this show but it was just so bad. Who is running NBC? They put shows like Grimm on Friday nights and then have.it go on hiatus for 3 months (same with Revolution) yet they green light this? I mean seriously someone or perhaps everyone there should be fired and bring in someone who 1. Knows what ppl want and 2 actually watches the shows they r putting on.

• liddad says:

Actually I like the way NBC is doing their thing this year. They tried Grimm out on a Monday for 4 weeks, where it actually got WORSE ratings, so it was moved back to Fridays and dominated the night again.
            The 3 month wait is a bit of a risk, I admit, but it stops the network having the 1 week on, two weeks off thing they’ve been doing at the end of the year for the last decade. I like it for now, but they could easily extend their seasons if the show is doing well.

• Jennifer Nicole Chapman says:

This show was so awesome you guys are stupid for canceling it! I was really getting into an yano those three. One million that did watch are going to be pissed. You should of at least finished the series before canceling it.

• mpho says:

I do agree that they should choose their shows more carefully and who are these people that they are basing their ratings on I we had not seen the shows yet I would like to know that.but when it comes to do no harm I must deagree I enjoy the show,it keeps me on my toes can’t wait to see who will come on top Ian or jason?

• nikkostar says:

I hope they air the rest of this season.

• I am SO disdapointed Do No Harm has been cancelled! I really think this show is really good and there are so many ideas for script lines. Just because it isn’t full of sex and killing every five minutes does NOT mean it is.t thought provoking and interesing. I wish NBC would reconsider and possibly try it on a night when more people tend to watch tv!

• Jennifer Nicole Chapman says:

Your stupid

• SNAJ12 says:

I also really liked the show. I thought it was pretty interesting but i guess most a ppl lack the imagination to enjoy any show dealing with alternate personalities. Maybe they will show the remaining episodes or allow Netflix to show like they did with the Cape. But I can agree that NBC should stay away from show dealing with double lives. I guess they didn’t learn their lesson with Awake (a show I also thought was neat).

• ashley says:

I very much enjoyed the two episodes and was anticipating the third. I though the plot was interesting and i agree i hope they let netflix show the rest

• Bob Pfischner says:

I liked the show too! They should have moved it to a different time slot rather than just bag it. ( I like Sherlock and Lucy Lu also…that’s pretty tough competition right out of the box) Who knows, mebbee netflix will get it; or put in on a dvd set at a reasonable price…I bet in a couple of years it would increase in value if they just put it out for a one time shot. It would be a shame to waste the 11 other episodes.

• Suzzette says:

TOTALLY agree i loved both and they ripped them away from us. GRRR shame on you NBC. Get it together. Stop getting us to like shows then rip them away. I sure hope Netflix does show the remaining episodes

• Katja L Kå says:

I loved this show! But I didnt hear of it untill now, way to late. Marketing anyone??

• David says:

Nope. Lone Star was also canceled after its second episode.

• Kate says:

I (incessant) promo’s irritated me so I’m not at all surprised.

• Marco says:

Emily’s Reasons Why Not was cancelled after the pilot, so no.

• liddad says:

Next Caller was cancelled BEFORE the pilot too, if that counts :P

• B says:

My husband & I liked the show. It deserved a full season to be given a chance.

• Maggie says:

Best show eveeeeer!!! We need this show back

• Phylicia says:

Considering I am a psych major, this show as very interesting to me too. I am highly pissed off that they didn’t even give it a chance to finish the series before cancelling it. I was really looking forward to episode three, and kept checking my DVR to make sure I had not missed it. :<

• LillyMae says:

ok its march almost april and i still check to see if they put the show back on. Come on NBC this was interesting and it kept my attention. I watch Grey’s and alot of other shows like Monday Mornings which i think is amazing too but Do no Harm was great and i know everyone that has watched it just as i did really enjoyed it. your getting rid of the wrong shows!!!!

• Jenn says:

I really liked this show. I would like to see the remaining episodes.

• rob says:

They should show the remaining episodes on another station. I really liked the two I saw and don’t think they show waste the work the writers put into it.

• coal says:

I agree. I want to see the rest of the episodes. Don’t waste all the work that went into them. I really liked this show.

• nikkostar says:

it is.

• Rylin says:

I just found the TV show! so glad it’s already on episode 6 XD
      I like shows like this because they are still somewhat appropriate for my younger sister to watch

2. Mike says:

Please let Hannibal debut…and be good,

3. Poor Alana de La Garza. She can’t get a break. Law & Order and Law & Order: LA get cancelled out from under her and now this one.

4. Babybop says:

HANNIBAL. Do it, NBC… Do itttttt….

• RockGolf says:

Yes! Because if there’s anything “Do No Harm” has shown us, it’s that there’s a market out there for a continuing series about a man with a medical degree, who’s also a psycho.

Oh wait…

5. DanK says:

Yes, bring on Hannibal! Although I don’t know if the mid-March placement will do it any good, it did give a good launch to Scandal last year.

6. Jamie says:

I too tried to like this one, but it didn’t have what it takes to last. I wish they’d play Chicago Fire repeats in that spot to try and get a few more people noticing it. I too am waiting on Hannibal. It should have what it takes to make it.

7. mawhi says:

NBC shouldn’t put Hannibal there if it wants it to succeed – that time slot is already VERY spoken for between Elementary, Scandal and Suits.

8. George says:

Hannibal shouldn’t be placed here. This is now a death slot for NBC.

Quite Honestly they should just burn off SMASH here (sorry, as much as I like it, it’s done) and put Hannibal on Tuesdays when The Voice comes back

• Dizzle says:

Yeah, this makes more sense, but Smash is a pet project of Bob Greenblatt, he’ll want to keep trying to have it succeed so he’ll leave it on Tuesdays with The Voice and the comedies.

• David4 says:

Every slot that isn’t The Voice or followed by The Voice is a death slot for NBC.

Hannibal should be on cable anyways. End Dexter and stick it on Showtime.

• B says:

I think you’ve got a good point about Hannibal being better suited for cable. Just not sure they can capture it properly while staying within what’s considered appropriate for broadcast standards.

9. Michael says:

The same thing will happen with Red Widow on ABC, I’d be surprised if it made it to 2 episodes

• Paul Cox says:

At least Red Widow doesn’t look completely unwatchable before even taking the air. Anyone with eyes could tell Do No Harm would be a goner.

• Jenn says:

I disagree with Do No Harm previews being unwatchable if it didn’t look interesting I wouldn’t of programmed the dvr to record it. I also am looking forward to Red Widow.

• i agree, do no harm was good very interesting. i think they should find a day for it like Tuesday cause nothing good shows on tuesday. how can u put it on Thursday when it have criminal mind, svu, grey anatomy and other shows.

• kavyn says:

It’ll also happen to Zero Hour. The pilot was already posted online and some of the acting is just horrible. The investigator and the lead character’s two interns (or whatever they were) couldn’t act to save their lives. The villain and the lead on the other hand did a good job but not enough to keep me tuned in for the second episode. There are some exciting scenes in the pilot that are well executed, but the bad outweighs the good in my opinion.

Funny part is, it’s not even the acting that’ll tune people out. it’s the 5 minute long Nazi flashback at the start of the episode (I seriously was close to tuning out during that 5 minute segment). It felt like some arbitrary History channel documentary that felt irrelevant to the plot.

• JJ says:

The nazi flashback was pretty slow for an opener. But it wasn’t irrevelevant to the plot. At the end of the ep he found the body of the nazi soldier that looked like him that was there in the flashbacks. The eps have been good so far IMO. And I love Scott Michael Foster. (One of the interns) one episode isn’t enough to give it a fair go. You should at least watch the second!

10. I think the fact that they’re re-running SVU in that slot may suggest they’re thinking about moving it there permanently. SVU obviously struggles in the ratings when it airs at 9pm, and since Chicago Fire is a solid performer and Thursday nights are a bust, it would seem like a logical move.
    Unless they do, in fact, decide to put Hannibal in that spot and it turns out to be a hit. Which I think it won’t, and they seriously shouldn’t be doing that. They can’t promote the show properly in a month or two. The show needs a proper marketing campaign.

IMO, if NBC wasn’t testing the waters for a possible “SVU on Thursdays next fall” move, they’d rerun Revolution to refresh everyone’s memory before the show comes back.

• icywinter2 says:

Don’t read into everything it’s not true. SVU is staying on Wednesday, it’s that type of show. It’s not a thursday show…

NBC isn’t testing any waters, they just needed to put something in it’s place until the spring shows arrive. I’m sorry but you are wrong

• Yes, and you’re an NBC executive so you know with absolute certainty that I’m wrong. ;)

An argument can be made that SVU was put in its place because it’s a procedural, and procedurals tend to repeat well. I get that.
        But, I said I *think* they’re doing it because they might move it there permanently next fall, not that I know it because I’m the second coming of Ben Silverman, or Bob Greenblatt’s personal shoe shiner. ;)

And explain to me, please, what is “a Wednesday type of show”?

11. kirads09 says:

Ridiculous after only two episodes. It was given no chance.

• JC says:

It was the lowest-rated, in-season debut of any scripted Big 4 series EVER. And its second episode went even lower. It clearly didn’t deserve a chance.

• Mike says:

I’m not a fan of a quick hook but this show was brutal.

• coal says:

Who are you to say what “deserves” a chance?

I think those of us who enjoyed it deserve a chance to see the rest of the episodes, and those who worked on the show deserve a chance to have their work seen by those of us who enjoyed it.

Should TV really only cater to the mainstream, and ignore the rest of the population? I guess the low ratings just confirm that only the cool kids watched this show.

• Kel says:

it didn’t help that this show was up against the red-hot Scandal.

• Mattie85 says:

ICAM the show had potential but it needed time to find it’s legs

• Alex says:

It got TWO chances.

• kirads09 says:

Would you want to be evaluated on your job performance the 2nd day of a new job? 2 episodes is not enough to tell how it is going to do – to tell its story or build an audience. I guess the good part, even though I loved the premise and thought it showed great potential, is that 2 episodes weren’t enough for me to get overly invested in it. Just feel it is unfair. Grimm is all I care about on NBC anymore.

• JC says:

If it was clear after 2 days that you were the most incompetent employee in the entire history of the company, than yes. (And Do No Harm was the most incompetent show, in terms of ratings, in NBC’s history.)

• kavyn says:

It had a horrible, less than 1.0 rated premiere and dropped about 1/4 in ratings. That’s enough to tell you a show’s going to be a disaster for your network. NBC made the right call.

12. Andy says:

I guess there’s no need to watch the 2nd episode on the DVR then.

13. DYH says:

It’s about damn time! In my opinion, I don’t think NO ONE was buying the fact that a doctor with a Jekel & Hyde mental disorder was going to be entertaining. In real life, his medical liscense would’ve been revoked. I was’t feeling this show even with all the promos to lure me to watch it.

14. Joe says:

NBC – KEEP HANNIBAL AWAY FROM THIS SLOT IT IS DEATH SLOT.

15. Christina says:

Surprised this show was even green lighted. Was a stupid, stupid idea for a show. NBC wonders why it sucks.

16. HollywoodTVCritics says:

I hope NBC does move SVU to Thursday, it needs to be canceled to. No, it needs Warren Leight to go [back to Law & Order: Criminal Intent].

• icywinter2 says:

Another hater, enough with the put downs. Do you even watch SVU anymore, probably not. Second, you and haters will not get your wish. SVU will be renewed, it’s not even in danger of being cancelled. What is with you people, so what Meloni left it doesn’t give you the right to put down the show b/c of him and hate warren leight.

It’s immature, I’m sick of the haters constantly putting the show down .Find a new show to watch and forget about this one, that’s what mature person would do.

• HollywoodTVCritics says:

I watched SVU until Wednesday with Mike Tyson. I’m GLAD Meloni left the show, he was getting on my nerves with Stabler’s never ending anger issues. I’m a HATER, because I don’t like the direction Warren Leight has taken the series? People like you need to grow up and stop bashing those who disagree about SVU (and that applies to anyone about any show). People ALWAYS want to start conflict, if you didn’t like my comment, you should have just ignored it. Simple.

• Dawnmac says:

I am far from immature and far from a hater so don’t kill the messenger BUT SVU’s ratings have tanked this season and they are barely a blip on the all important demo. It is a prime example of a show continuing on past its prime.

17. Scott says:

This was a mercy killing, plain and simple.

• Kathryn says:

Oh speaking of Mercy, it wasn’t given much of a chance either. I agree with you that say 2 episodes aren’t enough, NBC should be called the Dexter of broadcast TV (chop & dump). They have been in a habit of producing shows and then cancelling them before they air all the episodes, no wonder they can’t make any money.
      If you remember, Jag was on NBC and they cancelled it after a couple of seasons. However, CBS picked it up, ran with it and then made a spin-off (NCIS) which is a number 1 rated show.
      Then there was Southland, which they dumped middle of the first season….TNT took it and it is still on.
      Next was Harry’s Law, it had the best ratings for NBC and they cancelled it last year.
      This slot had an iconic show for 15 years (ER) and I hope that they will find another one to fill it.

18. Nikkiqm says:

I didn’t watch this show bc just based on the commercials I knew it would be cancelled. But it’s ridiculous how quickly shows are yanked off the air now, they don’t give things a chance to develop an audience and develop its characters and story lines. Soon all of tv will be cheaply made reality shows. Think back to some of tv’s past greatest shows Seinfeld, Friends and others had ho hum first seasons and needed a bit of time to cultivate an audience and develop the characters. It’s sad the way things are now.

• Will says:

Um, actually Friends’ first season wasnt only fantastic but was a huge hit right off the bat, which is why it had numerous imitators the next season, most of which failed, none

• Will says:

…of which matched its ratings. I still think Friends’ first season was its best. It had an innocence the later ones lacked…and Ross and Monica weren’t total caricatures.

19. bill says:

NBC is having quite a week. However , there have been a few shows canceled after ONE episode. Anyone remember Emily’s Reasons Why Not or South of Sunset? Of course you don’t LOL

20. Tran says:

NBC still needs a huge hit for the 10 p.m. Thursday night time slot when the upfronts begins in May. :-(

21. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Oh well – as I always say [trying to put a positive spin on bad situations], at least a quick cancellation before casting of new pilots allows actors a chance to catch onto another series – hope to see Alana de la Garza sometime in the future on another show. Maybe a different network next time – she’s (as noted in the posts above) had some tough luck with L&O and L&O-LA via NBC.

Well, onward and upward… more Mariska on Thursday – that’s not too bad – not bad at all.

22. Mike says:

Shocked it lasted this long.

• katelyn says:

Bite me this was the best show ever stop hating on it ok if wasn’t aired the same time as all these other show it would have gotten many views and what about people who record it I don’t think they count those who record them

23. sia says:

get better show pitchers! NBC Thursday nights use to be huge. WTF happened?

24. Joe says:

In the end, “Do No Harm” did very little harm.

25. TV Fan says:

The only good thing going for “Do No Harm” was Phylicia Rashad. She’s an extremely talented actress, but she was never featured in promos for the show on the network. She definitely deserves better.

26. David4 says:

Hannibal would be, well not perfect, but better than a summer slot.

27. Tina B. says:

oh Alana was in this show?! Well I’m sorry for that, but this show never should have been
    aired in the first place. This show is just like My Own Worst Enemy with Christian Slater and that show got cancelled and this is from the same damn network! Get it together NBC!

28. tahina says:

Oh, I’m in shock! ;)

29. Barbara says:

I watched it for 5 minutes and then turned it off…did not like it at all !!

30. lemonaioli says:

That guy is easy on the eyes but the show looked lame. Apparently it was lame. Hope cute guy gets another gig.

31. rachelle says:

This show… Lone Star… My Own Worst Enemy… There’s a pattern here. Shows about double lives/dual personalities clearly can’t last on tv.

• I’d have to disagree. There have been other shows involving this kind of thing as part of other stories and not the primary focus, but I don’t think that’s the problem. The problem is marketing to attract a mass audience, which is a hard thing to do for any show, let alone something as outside the box as this. And there’s a promising show on FX called The Americans which revolves around the double lives of KGB agents. What happened with Lone Star and Do No Harm is that people weren’t even watching the first episode to sample it. At least My Own Worst Enemy lasted an entire season.

32. Nick says:

Honestly I quite liked it and I’m sorry it got cancelled… After a long time, it was a breath of fresh air when many, many of the shows fit into very few categories and all look alike.
    The idea was interesting, the thrill was well-developed and they gave you two antagonists you could root for. There was a hint of love drama, a troubled past and some secondary character was starting to be developed, like the hospital chief whose daughter was in rehab. It looked like the show had all the ingredients to be great, and lots of potential.
    Sure, the acting may not have been super top but hey, no Oscar winner would act in a premiering show, right?
    Now I will just have to wait for the Grimm comeback… And hopefully they will air the episodes that have already been shot, or at least stream them on the net.

• katelyn says:

Thank you someone agreed with me. I love u for saying that. I should send you a letter saying thank you. Omg not everyone in this world is stupid. U are a white sheep in the mix of a million black ones. Thank you for having a different answer.

• coal says:

No, it’s the million white sheep that are the problem. Baaaaah. Us black sheep think for themselves, and aren’t afraid to admit that they enjoy an unpopular show.

33. Jared says:

I actually do like Stephen Pasquale and feel like he could carry his own series..but clearly this wasn’t the one. Do No Harm was really horrible and corny.

34. Jade says:

If NBC really wanted to give Hannibal a fighting chance they really shouldn’t air it Thursday at 10pm. Scandal is sucking the life out of its competition and Elementary has had all season to build a respectable audience. Why not wait until the Fall? Mid season series have a pretty sketchy track record.

35. Bud Glenn says:

NBC should air Revolution reruns in the slot before it premieres at the end of March. A little extra exposure.

• coal says:

Revolution? Now THAT is a crappy show with a worn out premise.

I’m so tired of apocalyptic fantasies of people turning uzis on each other for the last Twinkie. Human beings are cooperative by nature, not selfish and in constant war with one another.

36. Kaulbach Kurt-James says:

NBC is running on fumes.

37. Kenny says:

NBC passed on the pilot “County” for this crap!!!

38. CJ says:

The show wasn’t great, but it never had a chance in that time slot, especially with what NBC calls “marketing”. I love Steven Pasquale and Phylicia Rashad, but their talents were wasted here. As a Philadelphian, it is a loss for the city so for that reason alone I am sorry to see it go.

39. Deena says:

Watched it for Steven Pasquale and Alana de la Garza. Wish it would have caught on for them. Sure they will be back on TV soon. They’re too good not to be.

40. Jerri says:

Someone should cancel NBC, they have no idea what they’re doing with their scheduling.

41. jalahyacinth says:

Can anyone name ONE show (in the Big 4) about a double life that has lasted long recently (let’s say last 5 years)? Awake, Do No Harm, Lonestar, etc…

• Jake says:

Alias…Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
      and Murder She Wrote–you know that old lady was killing people every week in Cabot Cove and then framing the citizens of that sleepy fishing village

The reality is that these types of shows are impossible to pull off because you want viewers to care about these characters and they must understand their motives, but when you create an alternate character for that character then you don’t know where they are coming from and why you should care…and clearly alternate characters are always portrayed as villains and you want to care about your lead protagonists and it’s hard to do in these cases

• SNAJ12 says:

I think that maybe the creators of these shows are hoping viewers would enjoy the mystery of it all. Like the whys or hows. And who will ultimately win. Which person is really real and which is the created persona. Oh well. The movie Identity wasn’t a major hit either but I thought it was pretty cool concept.

• Alice says:

And secret agents and superhero’s don’t count- they are saving the world. Although the United States of Tara lasted awhile, but it was on cable. It’s hard to make the characters likable enough if their double life isn’t in service of the greater good.

• coal says:

Superheroes are the epitome of people who lead dual lives, and plenty of those shows survive for many seasons. Double lives are a common cultural theme. Maybe most people would just rather not focus too much on the psychology behind those alternate identities, and instead obscure any deeper meaning behind them.

42. anil says:

LOL NBC is pathetic. I didn’t even watch the show cause this cancellation was very predictable since the schedule announcement. There are 13 episodes, the least they could have done is a second chance – they love their money going to waste, dont they?!

43. MaryAnn says:

Is there any chance that the shows that were shot will be available someplace either streaming or on dvd? Maybe on the NBC website? It would be nice if those of us who were more fascinated by the show than repelled by its flaws had a way to watch those episodes that have already been shot.

44. A says:

God, the people who are in charge of these networks are just messed up. I never watched the show yet but just in general I’m so sick of them introducing shows only to cancel them after a few episodes. They are rarely ever given any chances to gain viewers. I mean seriously do they really expect the show to just get top ratings right away. I hate wasting time getting into a show and having it cancelled so fast. I’m still mad ABC cancelled GCB. At this point whenever a new show comes out its best not to even bother until it has been renewed for a second season.

45. Andre says:

“Can anyone name ONE show (in the Big 4) about a double life that has lasted long recently”

You said in the Big 4 just so no one would say Dexter a successful show with a double life. Also United Staes of Tara. So basically double life works but only on showtime.

ps Weeds, Nurse Jackie and Shameless all have double life characters in it. Plus The Big C last season.

46. Ledif says:

Thats why I dont even watch shows anymore. Nowadays if a show does not produces ratings and you like it they leave you hanging. That never happened with my favorite shows like Charlies Angels, The Golde Girls, 227, THe Facts OF Life, On and On.
    TV is worthless these days, ratings and more ratings. You know what? You killing yourself for that. People not gonna take that.

47. Marco says:

This was a decent show, but with the numbers it got, this was no surprise. But really NBC? Didn’t you learn anything from last year, when you cancelled THREE SHOWS you put in that timeslot (Prime Suspect, which was meh, The Firm, which was good, and Awake, which was AWESOME)? It’s not 1996 anymore, and I don’t care how good you think Hannibal is, it surely won’t be no ER. And why insist on airing this on Thursdays when it could’ve warmed up Grimm’s timeslot and then gotten moved to before (or after, I don’t remember the hour Grimm airs) it when it comes back next month?

I hope it will at least have an END and that the remaining 11 episodes will be aired.

• kirads09 says:

I agree! Would’ve done better aired with Grimm.

• Chris says:

After cancelling three shows in that time period last year, I’m suspicious of anything. Won’t try anything Thursday until NBC decides they will stick with it. Prime Suspect had gotten better each week. They should have let it go for the whole year.

48. scorpionglow says:

Very disgusted by this. The pilot, which I saw a few weeks ago, was amazing. I was so hooked by the end of the episode. This show had potential, but it was in a difficult time slot up against Scandal and Elementary. NBC’s losing me big time, they don’t have a lot left that is holding my attention. The Voice, Chicago Fire, and Deception and that’s all they’re offering me. So ticked off about this!! UHHH!

49. Mila says:

I liked the lead actor (who I remember from “Rescue Me”); but, the concept of the show didn’t intrigue me