Shocker: Christina Applegate Quits Up All Night

Christina Applegate Quits Up All NightNBC might want to consider putting Up All Night to sleep.

Christina Applegate has decided to exit the series, which is in the midst of a major revamp, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED | 2013 Renewal Scorecard: Find Out What’s Getting Cancelled, What’s Coming Back and What’s on the Bubble

“It’s been a great experience working on Up All Night, but the show has taken a different creative direction and I decided it was best for me to move on to other endeavors,” Applegate said in a statement. “Working with Lorne Michaels has been a dream come true and I am grateful he brought me into his TV family. I will miss the cast, producers and crew, and wish them the best always.”

The news comes just weeks after series creator Emily Spivey departed the series over creative differences.

PHOTOS | 25 Shows TVLine Readers Want Rebooted or Revived Now

As reported in October, the single-camera series is switching to the more traditional multi-cam format (à la The Big Bang Theory) following a three-month winter hiatus. Production on five additional episodes shot in front of a live studio audience was scheduled to begin this month, bringing Season 2′s total to 16 half-hours.

Per Deadline, NBC is still moving ahead with the series with Friends alum Lisa Kudrow being eyed as a possible Applegate replacement. However, the actress’ producing partner, Dan Bucatinsky, denied that piece of the story on Twitter, maintaining it’s “no true” that Kudrow might succeed Applegate.

Thoughts? Should NBC just quit while they’re behind and let the show die? Hit the comments!

Comments (175)

• It’s a shame but it’s time they cancel the show and move on.

Comment by Choco – February 8, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they should recast to keep the people working. Have Reagan get into a terrible car accident. She has plastic surgery, and when the bandages come off, voila, Sarah Chalke!

Comment by Miffy – February 8, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Brilliant! Sold!

Comment by Jake – February 8, 2013 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sarah Chalke is so over rated. Cancel the show. This isn’t Two and a Half Men.

Comment by Amelia – February 9, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I must agree with Amelia about the car accident. The car accident bit have be used too many time on the daytime drama when the original actor decide to leave the show and a new one show up. I suppose not to see that the actor is taller or shorter than the old actor.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 9, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, and loosing a major lead character rarely keeps the show go more than one season.

Comment by Russ – February 8, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not so with Two and a Half men???? Bewitched????

Comment by Carm – February 9, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • 2 1/2 men is a rare disease that just won’t die.

Comment by Sam – February 9, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring back SAMANTHA WHO!

Comment by A.C – February 8, 2013 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with A.C. completely!! “SAMANTHA WHO” was Christina Applegate at her BEST!!! Everyone I know that watched the series, LOVED it, and still mentions it in conversation. Bring back “SAMANTHA WHO” !!!
        We never got “into” UP ALL NIGHT” as the characters, especially the husband, were acting so dumb, it became STUPID!

Comment by Laura – February 8, 2013 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Samantha Who was the best!! Super funny show.

Comment by K – February 9, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, good show but NBC should cut their losses and move on…it won’t be the same show with cast and camera changes…

Comment by allison – February 9, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They (NBC) should cancel the show because I read that the three other actor from the show are being jump ship for a new show on differ channel.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – April 3, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like Up All Night is on the verge of cancellation.

Comment by Tran – February 8, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was going to get canceled anyhow. They should just put it out of its misery a few episodes early.

Comment by KevyB – February 9, 2013 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooo! Agree they should just cancel. Recast would be lame and killing off her character would be a buzz kill. What a shame.

Comment by Beth – February 8, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I must agree with Beth. Recast the lead actress with another one will do more harm than good. The fan will still remember the original one. Good luck to the future.

Comment by charles david haskell – February 8, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, but I’m sure he will forget about Christina over time.

Comment by Miffy – February 8, 2013 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed why keep the show without her? i liked the show, more so when it’s more about the family life and less about work. But her and will Arnett dynamics are a large point of what makes the show great… without it just let it go

Comment by Melissa – February 8, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed……I’ve loved the show [sit com junkie] and was keeping track of when it’s going to return…..got tired of the DVR showing “0″! But I don’t think ANYONE else could take Christina’s place……not Chalke, and definitely NOT Kudrow! RIP Up All Night!

Comment by jackie2830 – February 9, 2013 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am very curious about why Christina A is really leaving. Creative differences? What were they? The camera number, one vs three? I doubt it. No one could replace her in this part. I like Sarah Chalke, but not for this part, Lisa Kudrow is lovely, but much too old. The networks just don’t seem to know when they have a good thing, so they kill it. I can’t imagine Will Arnett with either of those ladies.

Comment by Denese – March 14, 2013 02:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Remember the bad jokes about there was too many chief at the stove who don’t know what they doing. It is no wonder that Christina Applegate decide to jump the ship.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – March 14, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I quit watching it this season. I wasn’t enjoying it as much as last season and I had too many things backed up on my DVR so it went out the window. But unless something has changed since I watched last, I can’t imagine the show continuing on without Christina.

Comment by Nicole – February 8, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wholeheartedly agree – it just wasn’t very good this season. Also, Will should stick to Gob – that’s his best character!

Comment by Salena – February 28, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Christina Applegate and Will Arnett help make Up All Night a winner but change of writer didn’t help the series. Ms. Applegate must saw the writing on the wall and decide to jump the ship. Good luck to their future series.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 28, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. No surprise.

Comment by Esaul – February 8, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wondering if the cancer returned. I hope not….

Comment by Mariauxy Vitale – February 8, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nothing to do with that. The cast was unhappy with the show. None of them wanted to continue with it in this new format. Both the showrunner and head writer/creator already quit. It’s a business thing, not a health thing.

Comment by rowan77 – February 8, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She never actually HAD cancer, she had the surgery to prevent it…..so I hope it’s nothing like that

Comment by Steve P – February 8, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She HAD actual breast cancer. It was just in the early stages.

Comment by Amy – February 8, 2013 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As John L. Smith would have said, “The actors are acting their heart out, and the showrunner is screwing it up!”

Comment by Derek Johnson – February 8, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except the showrunner had no say in the matter. That’s why she left, too. This whole debacle was all NBC’s idea, which just proves that they’re right up there with AMC as the worst network to work for.

Comment by Rrrrrr – February 8, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t ever bring that disgrace of a football coach to these comments again! :)

Comment by Sg. Grant – February 8, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, when such a central character quits a show, your best bet is to cancel. Kinda messed up of Christina Applegate.

Comment by rachelle – February 8, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But she shouldn’t stay at a job she isn’t happy with…She’s a popular actress and this is pilot season. I’m sure she is getting tons of offers to be a lead on a show she’d want to be on.

Comment by Josh – February 8, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I understand. I just feel bad for all the people who are gonna be out of a job cause of her decision. But I guess at times you have to think about your own happiness over others’.

Comment by rachelle – February 8, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Michael, Michael, MICHAEL! Leave it to you to give us the juiciest Friday afternoon cliffhanger of 2013 so far. This is an AWESOME scoop! :-D

Comment by TV Gord – February 8, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oops, I now see it’s from Deadline. Oh well, you’re all one big happy, aren’t you. :-) Still love it!

Comment by TV Gord – February 8, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she obviously means not enough $$$

Comment by CharlieS – February 8, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s probably something to that. She’s paid per episode. No episodes are being produced. Nothing is even on the horizon at the point from the sounds of it. Why should she stay bound to this show when she’s not working and not making any money?

Comment by JLK – February 8, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, they were due to start production in the next few weeks, as they still have six more eps to make. I think the format change should be a deal changer though, as that’s asking a great deal from your actors. I hope Christina finds something better suited to her talents, and Will Arnett follows her out the door to more Arrested Development.

Comment by BBAN – February 9, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with Bban. The two actor deserve a better fates than the one that they getting. The show should start from the day and start from the error.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 9, 2013 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nobody watches this show. So just cancel it.

Comment by PutAForkInIt – February 8, 2013 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not only people don’t watch it. It’s absolutely not funny. At all. Not a single laugh is possible during Up All Night. So why recast it and keep it up?

Comment by Dan – February 8, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Dan, I agree with you. From the very beginning, my family TRIED to watch this show because we LOVE Christina Applegate and “SAMANTHA WHO”….this show, UP ALL NIGHT was so dumb and actually stupid with embarrassing moments. NOT FUNNY!! We gave up after 3 tries. Bring back “SAMANATHA WHO” !!!

Comment by Laura – February 8, 2013 11:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can only assume that she wasn’t happy with Emily Spivey’s departure…the creative genius behind one of TV’s most original shows–that they’ve all but chopped up and sold to the black market. I admire her for having the compunction to leave. At this point I’m rooting for the whole thing to end altogether.

Comment by Jem – February 8, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There was a blind item on a gossip site that Arnette and Applegate were having an affair and she decided to go back to her husband. Probably nonsense, but it’s interesting that she is leaving the show.

Comment by Misskateer – February 8, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I heard that rumor too. Maybe she’s the reason why Amy Poehler divorced Arnett.

Comment by Ann – February 8, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 things

1. This is what you get when changing everything the show began with
    2. With no 30 Rock. The Office ending, and now Up All Night self-destructing, Community is now that much closer to a 5th season!

Comment by powerturtle90sdudemon – February 8, 2013 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NBC can’t cancel everything with current ratings woes, what will be left…Parks, Law and Order, Chicago Fire, Revolution, and Parenthood. Community may not have been up to par last night, but NBC might just need it.

Comment by Mike – February 8, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it’s just a shame they wrestled the creator outnof that show too. Community is Community no more. I think they might lose a lot of audience next week, especially since the fanbase seems pretty divided.

Comment by Mitholas – February 9, 2013 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They can always recast like they did in Rosanne and Fresh Prince. It depends on whether or not it’s worth it to do it.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 8, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, but it’s harder to recast because Christina Applegate is so well-known. I watched the show because she was in it. As for Fresh Prince, it kind of ruined the show with the new Aunt Vivian. And Roseanne…they quickly recasted Becky back with the original Becky anyways.

Comment by Ann – February 8, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t know if “recast” was really specified here. I took it more to mean there would be a “replacement”/”successor” a la Charlie Sheen and Ashton Kutcher.

Comment by april-ann – February 8, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ve never watched this show, but I know it’s about a married couple and their baby. I don’t think replacing the character of the mom with a new mom would work. Then again, The Hogan Family did it…I just think it might be a bit too grim for a comedy. Does the first mom die and is replaced by the dad’s second wife?

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 8, 2013 04:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That wasn’t my point. They can and will do whatever they want with it.

Comment by april-ann – February 8, 2013 06:37 PM PDT
          • a “replacement/successor” a la Sheen/Kutcher would entail a new character to take over the last one. What happens to the last one in the context of a show like this? death, divorce, perpetual “off-screen” syndrome? they can either cancel it, replace the actor but keep the character, or replace the character. either way, it’s lose-lose. they’re better off killing the show.

Comment by Michael Sacal – February 8, 2013 06:44 PM PDT
          • Still not my point, Michael. I happen to agree with you. I was referring to the wording in the article only — there was not talk of a “recast”. There was however a mention of a replacement or successor. They can and will do whatever they want with it.

Comment by april-ann – February 8, 2013 07:53 PM PDT
  • How cool it would be if she joined Castle now that she’s free? Please Marlowe, make it happen!

Comment by martina – February 8, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a completely random suggestion.

Comment by Lauren – February 8, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That makes NO sense. Where is the connection?!

Comment by Lauren – February 8, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unfortunately, she is another Castle/Beckett fangirl. I think she talked about Castle on a late night show (Jay Leno, I think!) and she basically said she is a Casckett shipper.

Comment by W – February 8, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, I see. Still makes no sense, she’s a fan so the show should create a contract role for her? Ummm okay.

Comment by Ally – February 8, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Don’t try to find LOGIC in (most) Castle fangirls, lol.

Comment by W – February 8, 2013 01:11 PM PDT
          • Applegate is a big Castle fan, and the show’s creator has been very vocal about wanting her to guest star, so there’s your conection! I’m not just fangirling for the sake of it.

Comment by martina – February 8, 2013 01:19 PM PDT
        • 1) Wow, bitter fan of another show? The only reason to actively hate on another show for no good reason (and don’t try to pretend you ‘used to watch’ or something, you can’t even spell Caskett properly so you’re just trying to use the jargon you vaguely remember from TVLine) is that you feel it’s a threat to your show. Usually people that go to the trouble of actively hating Castle and the fans feel like they’re under attack by its very existence which is ridiculous. You’re a fan, not a showrunner, crewmember, or actor so as long as it’s not a show that’s directly responsible for possibly putting your favorite at risk of being cancelled, what’s the point of getting competitive? Your job is not being threatened. You can’t just go ‘oh Castle? I don’t watch that show. Not my cup of tea.’ You do realize the success of what you watch should be earned by its merits, not tearing someone else down, right?

2) I was a bit stunned Christina was leaving given her prominence on the show and Emily going too is sad because she’s really talented. Even though I saw her interview involving Castle, it didn’t occur to me to bring Christina onto Castle long term, e.g. recurring, but the idea of involving her more is fun. Kudos to Martina for reminding us of her Caskett love. I knew Andrew had talked to her, but I thought it was just wishful thinking that we’d get an ep. Now it’s more likely to happen.

Comment by scooby – February 8, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL, agreed. I thought I was missing something and it somehow wasn’t a completely random thing…

Comment by Ally – February 8, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s a big Castle fan. Really really big, she’s talked about in interviews multiple times and Andrew Marlowe has talked about her being a guest star on twitter.

Comment by Andrea – February 8, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Applegate’s a big Castle fan, she talked about it on Leno a couple months ago. So there’s a tiny connection lol

Comment by Becks – February 8, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This reminds me of when Gary Coleman went on Arsenio and said people approach him on the street all the time to ask why he’s not on L.A. Law! :-/

Comment by TV Gord – February 8, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • End it, you can’t continue without one of the two main characters, and recasts are never good, just look at Last Man Standing. The new Up All Night is going to suck anyway, I don’t blame Applegate, she probably made the right choice.

Comment by Mike – February 8, 2013 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just kill it already

Comment by leah – February 8, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • (whispers… “while *they’re* behind”)

Comment by L. Bondurant – February 8, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They never should have “cancelled” the Ava show, and added the brother. Lame. Loved the first season, this season was just terrible. I’ll watch anything with Christina Applegate, and it was in her best interest to quit.

Comment by Cat – February 8, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You got it right!!!!

Comment by ES – February 8, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree..the Ava show was the driving plot force surrounding what it was like to work as the producer on a show like “Oprah.” That story was discarded last year. and with it went most of the big laughs. Christina and Maya are incredibly talented and will have another opportunity.

Comment by babette – February 8, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s ok to recast, I guess, if they want the show to go on. But Lisa Kudrow?

Comment by ad3160 – February 8, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is just like when the producers of Valerie dumped Valerie from Valerie! :-D

Comment by TV Gord – February 8, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT the h*ll is ‘up all night?’

Comment by VOXPOP – February 8, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Read the article. You’ll have your answer. ;-)

Comment by lizzie – February 8, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thank you, lizzie.

Comment by voxpop81 – February 8, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The network has invested a lot of money in the past few months in turning the show into a live infront of a studio audience classic sitcom look and feel, so it will be interesting to see if they just throw all that money out the window now that the star is leaving. Personally, out of the three leads, I felt Christina was by far the weakest. Kill her character off, have Arnett raise the baby as a single father with Maya helping in her delusional way. LOOK MA, I’M A TV WRITER!

Comment by igor – February 8, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn Will Arnett can’t even keep a tv wife.

Comment by Rory – February 8, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bahahahahahaha!

Comment by TV Gord – February 8, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • :’( still too soon. it will always be too soon.

Comment by Jay – February 8, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is no Sam Who, Married or Jesse! Watched it for Christina, but it’s never been funny

Comment by Brock – February 8, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s ratings have been horrible all season, even by NBC’s standards. I’d want to get off a sinking ship too!

Comment by Coop – February 8, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #1: Sounds like a mutual decision, as actors can’t just quit their contracted obligations.

#2: Sure hope they already had the cancellation notice, because otherwise this would be a really crappy thing to do to your costars and crews.

#3: What’s the deal with Applegate and Arnett? Wasn’t this the reason his marriage split up?

Comment by Jason – February 8, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1. She had an out as soon as they changed the format of the show.
      2. They don’t have a cancellation notice yet – and the crew was let go in October when they stopped shooting in single camera mode.
      3. She and Arnett are not a couple. In fact, in real life, the two are kind of awkward with each other. That is no love match.

Comment by rowan77 – February 8, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …and you know all of this to be “fact” because?

Comment by april-ann – February 8, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • One of my closest friends worked on the show until everyone was let go in October. Different format means different crew.

Comment by rowan77 – February 8, 2013 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Okay, thanks.

Comment by april-ann – February 9, 2013 09:30 AM PDT
  • quit while you are ahead

Comment by Terry – February 8, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Better to cancel it than recast imho.

Comment by Sally – February 8, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised. I figured the show was going to go down hill when they changed the format. That wasn’t going to turn out well at all.

Comment by Amy – February 8, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no chemistry from the cast stupid storys they thought they were better then everyone else christine can do better go to cbs they can make you a show

Comment by John Moshier – February 8, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Christina Applegate help make the show very interested. I will be sorry for the replacement actress. Everyone will see Christina Applegate in the role.

Comment by charles david haskell – February 8, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When this season started and I saw Will Arnett, all I could think was, “You bastard! I see your new body. The body that men get when they cheat. Coincidence that it come on the hells of the split from your wife?” Since then, I haven’t been able to watch at all.

So I say let it go.

Comment by Gerard – February 8, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am 100% with you on this.

Comment by CJ – February 8, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are an idiot.

Comment by tripoli – February 9, 2013 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I must agree with Tripoli about Gerald. He have be watching too many Lifetime movie rerun where men cheated like water.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 9, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is far more entertaining off-screen than on. How many revamps is this now? Four?

Comment by Viv – February 8, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was honestly wondering when they where going to announce the show was canceled. NBC really needs to reevaluate what they are doing with there programming because right now it’s not great. They are killing good shows with too many notes and keeping shows that are DOA. All network TV need to think why are people not watching there programming. If we where provided with good programming then we would not have to utilize other media so much.

Comment by Toia – February 8, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Multi-Camera shows seem so old fashion now, unless your CBS – but those show do do pretty great in the ratings. I heard they sell better overseas too. Big Bang Theory is the only one I still watch with a laugh-track, and I do enjoy but it’s far from my favorite….I never watched Up All Night but I imagine the change will be like when Happy Days switched formats – that first season looks so different….

Comment by Mikey C. (@mikey_c) – February 8, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooo!!! I was actually interested to see how the show would look as a multi-camera show…but with this news the whole thing just doesn’t seem appealing at all. When there’s two main characters and one of them leaves, I think it’s time to wrap it up. Especially since it’s only the second season. Boo.

Comment by Sarah – February 8, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Given the show was drowning before it was taken off what good is it going to do to explain the absence of the main character than to replace with someone else.

It likely wasn’t going to return past these next 5 episodes I say just quit while you’re ahead. Maybe up the order for some other shows on the schedule if you need to fill some airtime.

Comment by Ryan – February 8, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The actors involved are all good and the original show runner knew what she was doing (it was based on her life experiences). I liked the show when it started but slowly they have stripped away everything that made it interesting and different:
    1. former party scene couple dealing with joining the “parents” scene – GONE
    2. professional producer dealing with her diva best friend/tv host – GONE
    3. stay-at-home dad adjusting to his new life – GONE

So not only did they remove key components to the characters, they then didn’t really have the characters adjust in a way that made sense, that is true to their characters. They rushed trying to get the situation to something more “average” and “family-friendly” instead of emphasizing what was unique and great about the characters.

As soon as I read about the format change I thought someone does not get what is wrong and why the show lost the small audience it had. People will watch something shot on an old cell phone if it has characters that they like, single-camera was not the problem!

Cougar Town is an excellent example of the set-up premise being gone but because the characters remained true people cared about the characters (not a booming audience but enough) so people kept watching.

The show was doomed at the beginning of the season when they changed everything fun and interesting about the characters. They kept messing with it and broke it. Frankly I’m more surprised people didn’t quit sooner.

Comment by somebody – February 8, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe she did it to save Community! Because im guessing with 30 Rock,Office and now Up All Night most likely gone Community will be back

Comment by ggny – February 8, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should just cancel it. It was a good show with a great cast, but it didn’t work out. Let it rest in peace.

Comment by Leah – February 8, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A show about a Husband and wife and the wife leave??? Just cancel and move on…plus Will Arnett has been horrible this season…he’s using his “hulu-better then you voice”. It’s very irritating. Love Christina…miss Samantha Who…:)

Comment by Travis – February 8, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Samantha Who was a great show. Very under-appreciated.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 8, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CANCEL THE SHOW NBC!

You’re shows are so crappy that even the stars are ditching the show.

Just save your money, give it to Community and move on.

Comment by David4 – February 8, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Lisa Kudrow but I’d much rather see her on a new show.

Comment by kavyn – February 8, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure she has a show on showtime.

Comment by Mike – February 8, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s kinda funny because Lisa Kudrow is the star of her own show (Web Therapy) and nobody knows it or watches it — deservedly, IMHO, because it’s not even a bit funny.

Comment by Dan – February 8, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t find Web Therapy funny at all too. (I haven’t seen the TV version, just the web one) I had high hopes for it, because I love Lisa Kudrow. It had a really nice concept too. Plus, all those guest stars! Even the Meryl Streep edition was boring.

Comment by JON – February 9, 2013 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If I was Lisa Kudrow,I wouldn’t take the role because everyone who will watch will see Christina Applegate in the role.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 9, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer! I really enjoyed Up All Night, but the camera format change, Emily Spivey leaving and now Applegate, why continue at all? I certainly won’t be watching.

Comment by Loni – February 8, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christina Applegate deserved better

Comment by Barry Einstein – February 8, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good call Christina. I’d wanna quit that awful show that NOBODY watches too!

Comment by Jared – February 8, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC is killing the show by moving it around so much. I forget about it and stopped looking for it. If Ms. Applegate quit, I dont blame her for feeling disrespected. Time to cancel the show. NBC did it to the show by not giving it a real commitment!

Comment by Robin – February 8, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That show had so much promise, but it just kept getting worse and worse… let it die.

Comment by Shifty – February 8, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised. The second season changed for the worse

Comment by Mila – February 8, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the best to Christina – she’ll land on her feet and will get another shot at a series next spring 2014 once she wraps up her feature film work on Anchorman sequel. For NBC, another set back towards building up their fall’13 lineup. This has been a bad week for NBC – Smash, Do No Harm, now Up all Night. And I guess add 1600 Penn to that list – a tough month for the peacock network.

Any good news here? Perhaps – I think that indeed this helps Community for a shot at fall schedule – maybe not for a full season order, but it will be back. NBC needs to start circling the wagons and determining (quickly) what they have and don’t have for returning series so that they can work their pilot season correctly (or as correctly as NBC is capable).

Go On, Parks, L&O [if Mariska is up for another season], Chicago Fire, Revolution, Parenthood.. now Community, and of course Voice and NFL football. There’s a Michael J Fox pilot that already has an order, and Grimm, perhaps New Normal. Beyond those eleven or twelve shows, NBC has some work to do to prep for fall’13 and mid-season winter’14. The next few weeks will be crucial to NBC’s fortunes in the 2014 season.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 8, 2013 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should save their time and money and cancel the show. Talented people can find jobs elsewhere. It’s a shame the series never clicked, but it’s time to move on.

Comment by Geoff – February 8, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The writer never didn’t developed the show right. The show have the perfect cast. I don’t think changing a new actress will save the show.

Comment by Charles David Haskell – February 8, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post