The Office Series Finale Set For May 16

Get More: Finales, News

The Office Series FinaleThe Office will end its nine-season run with an hour-long episode  — the show’s 200th! — on Thursday, May 16 at 9/8c, NBC announced Thursday.

No other details were provided, but one thing appears certain: Steve Carell will not be participating in it.

RELATED | The Office‘s Dwight-Centric Spin-Off Episode Will Air — But There’s a Twist

As TVLine reported last month, the comedy’s original boss nixed an offer to reprise his role as Michael Scott one last time.

“I just didn’t think it was right for the character, because that character had had an arc within the story and kind of grew and sort of evolved past the idea of the documentary,” he told Access Hollywood. “I’m really good friends with everybody on the cast and with [executive producer] Greg Daniels and I want to go back to say, ‘Hi,’ certainly, before it all ends. but I just thought, in terms of the character, it didn’t make sense.”

Tags: ,

Comments (32)

• Sadface.

Comment by yvette – February 7, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He very well may be in it, but is ‘covering’. Who knows? I thought his explanation was a bit obtuse. You can almost always come up with a reason to bring a character back that the audience would accept if they liked the character.

Comment by ted simpson – April 4, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will have a box of tissues ready…

Comment by Betty – February 7, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what she said.

Comment by David Bradley – March 12, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s an 8-year, 9-season run, having started in March or May 2005. Minor, but it’s a correction of the kind of fact that will be oft-repeated, so it’s important

Comment by Scott – February 7, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They had six episides air during season 1 which began in March of 2005.

Comment by Betty – February 7, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not like Ausiello said it was a nine-year run though so you’re correcting nothing…?

Comment by bryceradick – February 7, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, but Steve Carell not being in the finale doesn’t mean he won’t make a cameo in an episode BEFORE the finale. Just sayin…

Comment by Shari – February 7, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Right. I think it would be really nice to have a little update on what Michael is doing! Even a skype appearance would be cool! I could totally see him skyping the office to maybe announce Holly’s prego?

Comment by Lauren – February 7, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like that’s DEFINITELY what they’re scheming. Give us our last taste of Michael and then let us say goodbye to the characters who stuck with the show through thick and thin.

Comment by bryceradick – February 7, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed the show, but the most recent episodes with the documentary crew have felt very weird. After several years they are just finally making the show? It’s weird.

Comment by Midori – February 7, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BEST part of the office was the opening theme music

Comment by voxpop – February 7, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am 100% agreed , infact i love it

Comment by liaquat – March 7, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will hold to my fantasy that the final scene will be of Michael waking up on his flight to Denver and the past two seaaons were nothing but a particularly vivid, melatonin-induced dream.

Comment by TMW – February 7, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • or tryptophan from the family-sized pot pie he ate for lunch!

Comment by Mary – February 7, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love that! haha

Comment by jess – February 10, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The old “it was nothing but a dream” routine, eh? I could see that, because you know, that’s never ever been done before!

Comment by I AM – March 29, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m going to be really sad when The office is over ,but extremely happy that Ed Helms will be gone. After he started dating Erin, The character Andy fell off, and Ed Helms just sucked even more. I hated him as boss.He’s not funny and in my opinion brings down the show now.

Comment by Tim Roe – March 5, 2013 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Couldn’t agree more.

Comment by Wayne – March 9, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry to say it, because I LOVED the Office for years, but it died creatively very quickly after Michael Scott flew off to Colorado. This final season is a shame…there is no heart to the show or any of the characters; all of them are now mean-spirited, cruel and, frankly, just not very funny. The last camera shot of the series should have been Pam watching Michael’s plan flying away.

Comment by David Bradley – March 12, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I concur! Robert California – what was that supposed to be? Not funny at all (unless he turns out to be the real Scranton Strangler). Nellie – Meh! Although she is slightly more bearable this season. New Dwight and new Jim – yeah, ok, whatever. They lost Michael Scott and the Pam/Jim storyline, and then seemed to run out of ideas.

Comment by I AM – March 29, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I couldn’t disagree with you all more. Yes, it was reall sad when Michael left, and he was one of the best characters of any TV show ever, but the show has not fallen off. Go back and watch any old episode compared to a new one, there isn’t much change. Plus, after michael left, it opened up the roles of other character so it was not just his interactions with Pam, Jim, Phillis, and Angela who were the only character that contributed to a major part ofn the show other than him.

Comment by James Stu – March 16, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watch reruns on TBS all the time. This show was much more funny and clever prior to Jim and Pam getting married. It’s not even a comedy any more. It’s just kind of sad.

Comment by Brian C. – April 12, 2013 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand what is happening with JIm and Pam!! I hope they end it with those two being happily ever after!!

Comment by Beth Wendt – April 8, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think it’s a rouse. I think Steve Carell sincerely wishes he could participate but probably realizes it is in the best interest of his character, Michael Scott, and The Office to have proper closure by not having his character return. In real life, when someone quits, and moves away they rarely return so having Michael Scott appear in the last episode would be too much of a hackneyed cliche.

Comment by DJ – April 9, 2013 09:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think they shoulda ended the show when Michael left for Colorado, but then kinda as a finale did a movie where the office flew out to Colorado for the wedding

Comment by Craig – April 11, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Michael Scott wedding should’ve happened. It’s believable because everybody from the office would have been there. They could have then spent the last few weeks wrapping up the current characters as they are now doing.

Comment by Jesse Saunders – April 12, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should of made the phone call during the last episode like the cast told him to when he left. That would be an awesome part of the last episode. plus send a fax picture of him and amy happy in Colorado.

Comment by danny – May 3, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the Jim and Pam story line ends badly, I will be very upset. I have watched this show from day one and I watch is all the time on Netflix as well. For it to end badly with the two of them would just be wrong.

The final episode should’ve been the entire cast (original and current) all gathering for Michael and Holly’s Wedding. It would’ve tied everything together and ended the show on a happy note.

Comment by Eric – May 13, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it would be cool for Micheal to appear in a Skype call but other than that I think it’d be to fake.

Comment by TrukTheWirld – May 15, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank God the Officeis mercifully canceled. How much more of “slacker” Jim Halpert could we have stood? Enough of his character’s “saint” image; soft voice and those smug looks at the camera. I liked Will Ferrel and James Spader’s brief roles. Dwight was never allowed to grow or evolve much like the entire cast. A seriocom caught in limbo–now has been allowed to “go to the light.” Rats! Where’s hot Jennifer Love Hewitt when you need her. Oh what a love interest for Michael she would’ve been.

Comment by Kenny Avery – May 18, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post