Ratings: SVU Takes Some Punches, Arrow Rises, Modern Family Dips to Season Low

Ratings: Mike Tyson on SVULaw & Order: SVU‘s episode guest-starring Mike Tyson drew 5.2 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating this Wednesday, dropping 19 and 12 percent week-to-week.

Chicago Fire — which just had a 24th episode added to its freshman order — led out of that with an audience of 6.5 mil and a 1.8 rating, down 11 and 14 percent. Opening NBC’s night, Whitney (3.5 mil/1.2) dipped some, while Guys With Kids (3.2 mil/1.2) rose 9 percent.

Over on CBS, Criminal Minds — leading out of a POI rerun (7.3 mil/1.2) — drew 11.8 mil and a 2.7, sliding three tenths to match its season low. CSI‘s launch of the two-night crossover with CSI: NY (11 mil/2.4) dipped two tenths but handily won the hour on all counts.

RELATED | Nashville Recap: Time to Change Your Tune

ABC’s The Middle (8.4 mil/2.3) slipped two tenths, as did The Neighbors (6.3 mil/1.8, versus last time leading out of a non-repeat). Modern Family (10.1 mil/3.8) was down 6 and 10 percent, hitting a season low in the demo. Suburgatory (5.9 mil/2.1) ticked down a tenth versus its last airing after a fresh Family. Closing out the night for ABC, Nashville and its shhhhteamy smooch did 6.25 mil/1.7, down two tenths to match its all-time low.

The CW’s Arrow (3 mil/1.0) ticked up a tenth, while Supernatural (2.22 mil/0.9) was flat.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s American Idol Recap: Test(osterone) of Wills

American Idol‘s arrival in Hollywood (14.2 mil/4.6) was down 16 percent week-to-week.

What were you watching this Wednesday?

1. Tran says:

Great news: Chicago Fire has added yet another episode which brings its Season One episodes to 24. NBC better renewed it for a second season sooner rather than later.

2. jamie says:

I wish Criminal Minds numbers were higher, but considering some of their competition those aren’t so bad. As for SVU, serves you right. When will that get canceled? I’m still waiting on Nashville’s numbers to go up, but I’m not sure that’s going to happen.

3. Chicago Fire is a great show with amazing ratings but when Csi is new it always holds 6 million when CSI is a repeat it can go as high as 8 million, I think NBC needs to move it next season to a new time.

Same thing with Nashville, It needs to be move next season to sundays at 10/9pm after Revenge. I can see it at least doing 7 to 8 million viewers there.

4. Elyse says:

last nights Chicago Fire was awesome. it’s a shame it isn’t getting better ratings but i’m glad its on NBC so hopefully it will survive and get a second season! :)

5. wrstlgirl says:

I’ll add more love for Chicago Fire. It really is a great show.

6. sharona says:

CSI is still strong after 13 years so Nashville and Chicago Fire won’t increase their ratings this season…

7. Viv says:

LOOOVVVEEEDD Chicago Fire last night. I can’t wait to see Casey’s reaction when he finds out Gabby is seeing “Peter Mills” (why does she always call him that lol).

Next week’s epi looks amazing as well. Needs to be renewed now.

• Beth says:

I know! He looked pretty jealous when she said that text wasn’t for him. She is kidding herself with this Mills thing, guessing she and Casey will be together by the season finale. NEEDS A 2nd SEASON ORDER NOW.

8. Gillian says:

It is a shame that Nashville took so long to hit its’ stride. The show has been great since it returned from winter break, improving dramatically from the autumn lull it experienced. This is a really good show & it should have more viewers than it does (much like Hart of Dixie IMHO).

• wrstlgirl says:

The problem I have with Nashville is that it is very predictable. I keep hoping for that “shock” to happen and so far still waiting.

9. I think the main reason why SVU’s ratings dipped was because of Mike Tyson. I know I didn’t watch the ep because I think him being on that show and what it’s premise was about, made a mockery of his own rape case and it’s outcome. And from what I saw online, many people were upset over that as well.

• TMW says:

I totally agree. He is the sole reason I skipped an SVU episode this season.

• hlots11 says:

I’m glad the controversy over it didn’t pay off. Maybe the next time a network’s considering bad, gimmicky casting, they’ll rethink it. Hopefully this means not having to see Mike Tyson in the mainstream again for much longer.

10. Last night’s Supernatural was fantastic. I’m glad to see the ratings are steady.

11. Watched CSI Vegas but only because Gary Sinise/Mac Taylor was on it. CSI NY is by far the better of the CSI shows.

12. mandy says:

Last nights Chicago Fire was great. Those ratings are not perfect but for NBC who are we kidding the ratings are not bad. I am very hopeful that NBC will give Chicago Fire the chance that my other beloved NBC drama never had. Trauma! That was a great show too.

13. paul says:

I totally agree CSI NY is by far the most interesting of the franchise. I only hope all 11 million people tune in to see part 2 on Friday @9;00 on CSI NY

14. Boiler says:

Don’t watch Chicago Fire but do watch Nashville. When you add in DVR viewing in first 7 days they are neck and neck in totals. Both shows need to continue and networks need to figure out how to make money off DVR viewing.

15. Cannot believe how intense Arrow is. It keeps making narrative leaps which many shows would tease for a season or two. Barely a week passes when my jaw isn’t dusting the floor.

• Mikael says:

I agree. They’re really going all out right from the start, which is awesome. Most shows probably would have spent the whole first season just doing the island stuff, and then taken like 3 seasons to create the Arrow persona. I’m so glad they’re not dragging things out. The only thing I don’t like is that I feel it’s very easy to recognize him. He needs a mask (not war paint) and maybe a fake goatee.

16. liz says:

I LOVE CHICAGO FIRE! Have never missed an episode. Great writing & great cast. I sure hope NBC renews it for several years!!! #JESSE SPENCER – MATTHEW CASEY :)