Ratings: Smash Returns on (Very) Low Note

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Smash Season 2 PremiereSmash… and burn?

NBC’s musical-drama opened Season 2 on Tuesday night with a series-low average of 4.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 demo rating across its two-hour run, leading out of the Betty White birthday special (which drew 6 mil/1.5).

RELATED | Smash Season 2 Premiere Recap: ‘Someone’s Always Waiting to Take You Down’

Versus the show’s series launch (11.4 mil/3.8 on a Monday, leading out of The Voice‘s 18 mil/6.7), that marks plunges of 60 and 71 percent.

Compared to its freshman finale (6 mil/1.8, leading out of America’s Got Talent‘s 10.5 mil/3.7), Smash was down 25 and 39 percent.

Also of note, comparing Tuesday apples to Tuesday apples: Parenthood‘s recent Season 4 finale did 4.9 mil and a 1.8, while Smash‘s 10 pm portion dipped to a 1.0 rating. So… Hey, poll!

Over on CBS, NCIS led all of Tuesday in both total viewers (with 21.49 mil, down 3 percent week-to-week) and in the demo (ticking down to 3.7). NCIS: LA (16.6 mil/3.1) dropped just a few eyeballs while steady in the demo opposite Smash‘s opening hour and a special Bachelor. Vegas (10.2 mil/1.6) was down 9 and 16 percent but led the 10 o’clock hour in total viewers.

The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.44 mil/0.6) was up 9 percent and a tenth (and hit season highs in the 18-34 and W18-34 demos), while the Emily Owens finale (1.5 mil/0.4) added a few eyeballs but was flat in the demo.

ABC’s The Taste (5.3 mil/1.8) rose 10 percent and two tenths in its third week, while a special outing for The Bachelor (7.8 mil/2.6) was up a tenth from Monday and trounced Smash in head-to-head competition.

Over on Fox, a double-pump of Raising Hope (4 mil/1.6) added a few viewers week-to-week, New Girl (4.8 mil/2.5) dipped a tenth and The Mindy Project (3.6 mil/1.9) rose 13 percent and two tenths.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

Tags: ,

Comments (92)

• Did a 91 year old woman’s birthday party which she wasn’t even in attendance for “smash” SMASH?

Comment by Frank – February 6, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • For real? BW wasn’t on her own special??

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 6, 2013 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She was ill, so the camera kept showing her at home reacting to the presenters and special guests. It was very odd.

Comment by Frank – February 6, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, i encourage you to watch it, if only for the incredibly low production costs and Chris Pratt saying in a taped segment that he hooked up with Ms. White on the set of ‘Everwood’.

Comment by Ryan Schwartz – February 6, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully this gurantees a fifth season for Parenthood.

Comment by Dryden – February 6, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With DNH flopping and Deception fading, I can’t see this not happening.

Comment by BL – February 6, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree – I think Parenthood should be fine and will be renewed – at least for another abbreviated order. I actually think NBC would like to renew Parenthood for a full 22, but cost may be a factor. Large cast, etc. Nevertheless, I think Parenthood will definitely be back for next season 2013.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – February 6, 2013 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How were all-around ratings last night? I thought it was a pretty dead night of TV otherwise, so I thought it would do better. But to be fair, you should note the lead-in was Betty White’s 2nd 90th Birthday show, can’t imagine the demo carryover was high there.

Comment by Dan – February 6, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Are you sure it got a 1.8 in the demo, other sources saying 1.1

Comment by Gripper – February 6, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, fixed.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 6, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched it two weeks ago online. Didn’t know they were showing an extra hour yesterday. Oops.

Comment by Mail – February 6, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow so shocked wow not

Comment by B – February 6, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the entire CBS Tuesday night line-up destroy the two hour season premiere of Smash except for NCIS.

Comment by Tran – February 6, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NBC better renew Parenthood for a fifth season sooner rather than later.

Comment by Tran – February 6, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last season was such a hot mess, I’m sure many people did not tune in again.

Comment by Lauren – February 6, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I stopped watching half way through season 1 and even all the changes were not enough motivation to get me to watch again. I love a lot of the new actors they picked up but it was just so bad I feel like I don’t want to invest myself in it again.

Comment by Deena – February 7, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. When it was a 1.8, I though bad. But a 1.1. That is horrific. It won’t be coming back! Parenthood just booked a new season.

Comment by Stacey – February 6, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Smash last night, never thought it would go that low already.

Comment by Andrea – February 6, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was going to give Smash another chance when they got rid of Ellis… but then I read that they didn’t really get rid of Ellis. So forget that. I also have never liked the girl from American Idol.

Comment by KSM – February 6, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t watched it yet. Did they not actually get rid of him? I thought it was for sure he wasn’t coming back.

Comment by Erin – February 6, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he’s coming in for a guest shot … probably to show what happened to his character. They showed what happened to Dev, Michael and Frank (and by extension Leo). My guess is he’s behind Eileen’s troubles and he works for Eileen’s ex.

Comment by Snsetblaze – February 6, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Katharine McPhee (the girl from American Idol) is the only reason I watch. She looked gorgeous and love her voice.

Comment by gregk – February 6, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • God forbid a show has a character you don’t like.

Comment by kavyn – February 6, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So this is DOA, and Parenthood is now even more certain to be renewed than it already was. Less Smash + more Parenthood = win for fans of quality television.

Comment by Superhero – February 6, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t see why one has to fail to provide the other with success. I like both, and would gladly have them both back. Not that I’m arguing Smash is quality television, mind… but it is relatively unique television. There are plenty of other shows on NBC which couldn’t be called quality television either which I find far less entertaining then Smash.

Comment by ben – February 6, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is coming from someone who doesn’t even like Smash, but it is still of a higher quality than all the rehashed procedural a on television that get 20+ million a week.

Comment by Mike – February 6, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG…how could Smash have such low ratings?…I’m in utter shock. WOW….

Comment by Jason – February 6, 2013 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please put a fork in ALL these boring musical-themed shows? American Idol, The Voice, Nashville, Glee… NO MAS.

Comment by Donna – February 6, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I vote we put a fork in Donna instead.

Comment by Joe – February 6, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, I’m with Donna.

Comment by Emily – February 6, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Join the list of people who want to put a fork in all procedurals, all reality tv etc etc. If you don’t enjoy something, don’t watch it. But don’t malign an entire genre just because it’s not for you.

Comment by ben – February 6, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really…Nashville?? It is not even in the same genre as American Idol or The Voice. It is nothing like Glee. It is a fantastic show and there are plenty of other shows that don’t have any music in them if it offends you. Nashville is unique and I would rather have the option of it than not!

Comment by Luli101 – February 9, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow… and they promoted the heck out of ‘Smash’ too.

Comment by Hipper – February 6, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder what they’ll do with Smash, since I’m sure there will be weeks when it gets The Voice lead in, which hopefully will help build an established audience, I would say that’s the shows only hope.

Comment by Mike – February 6, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the TASTE was far more interesting yesterday

Comment by tee – February 6, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I quite enjoyed the taste. And it was just the right amount, one hour, once a week. I can’t stand these reality shows that are two hours long, twice a week, it’s too much.

Comment by Terry – February 6, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we find a way to somehow blame this on Ellis?

Comment by dan – February 6, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS dropped to 21.49 mil. viewers, every other show would die for half that number fans!
    They are the 8,000 lb gorilla of the industry, no other series is even in the same ballpark!

Comment by lame – February 6, 2013 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Raising Hope and Mindy Project!

Comment by Babybop – February 6, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. How can Smash had such a low rating? It was a great premiere!
    I really hope the reatings go up next week when it stabilizes on the timeslot. The Bachelor might have been a factor.
    Still hoping it hangs in there… I wanna see the whole season 2.

Comment by Carola – February 6, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Smash isn’t on next week. The next episode is 2/19 as per last night’s preview package. And if the ratings for that outing don’t improve, my guess is we’ll be watching the rest of the episodes during the summer or online only. Too bad because last night’s two episodes were definitely an improvement over last year’s debacle. Not perfect, but better and showing promise.

Comment by dan – February 6, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash isn’t even on next week, is it? I remember reading that it wasn’t and thinking what bad scheduling that was. Hard to build momentum if that is true.

And for those wondering, Ellis was nowhere to be seen, aside from the “previously on…”

Comment by Drew – February 6, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Next week is the State of the Union address so yeah, everything is sure to be preempted next week. Kudos to ABC for recognizing this early and pushing Body of Proof’s debut back to the 19th so it avoids the interruption. =)

Comment by HeatherC – February 6, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So let me get this straight – NBC president Robert Greenblatt fires season 1 showrunner, part of the cast and most of the writers and Smash season 2 premiere get the WORST ratings the series has ever gotten! Most of the blame has to be placed at NBC’s feet, but Josh Safran, the writer who ruined Gossip Girl must be blamed too. NBC is a joke!

Comment by marc – February 6, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The average, non-TVLine punter would have no idea about all the changes. They will have returned (or not) based on how they felt about season 1, most likely, and whether they could be bothered watching more.

Comment by ben – February 6, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is absolutely it.

Comment by Deena – February 7, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unless a lot of those people thought that the free preview on the ON Demand sites was the whole episode and didn’t bother watching the premiere….

Comment by Julie – February 8, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash Crash. Couldn’t happen to a more deserving show.

Comment by Steven – February 6, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched Smash last season and found that I really didn’t like any of the characters. Just couldn’t get involved in the storyline so wasn’t interested in watching it this season. I do love JHudson and if she could remain a permanent character with a starring role I might change my mind.

Comment by Germaine – February 6, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll probably watch it on OnDemand over the weekend, but I wasn’t going to miss NCIS:LA or the 10PM rebroadcast of Pretty Little Liars for it.

Comment by Chloe – February 6, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last season’s plot points being all over the place and the long time span before it premiered again no doubt played a huge role in the drop. (I know, stating the obvious.) But truly, I’m excited for the new season. The premiere alone already shows much more cohesion than all of last season.

Comment by Amy – February 6, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually really surprised by how low the demo rating is. Actual viewing figures not so much. Being against The Bachelor definitely didn’t help give they have the same audience, but I still didn’t think it’d be that low. And I really enjoyed the first 2 eps as well. A real improvement and a promising start. It’s a shame s1 really destroyed its hopes this season. Damn you Rebeck, lol!

Comment by Bev – February 6, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does THE VOICE usually air its finale on Mondays or Tuesdays? If NBC was smart they would air final competition round of THE VOICE spring on Monday for REVOLUTION finale, then 2-hour results show on Tuesday for SMASH season 2 finale.

Comment by K – February 6, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well played, ABC.

Comment by Brandon – February 6, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on people lets stop watching the food competitions!!!

Comment by Boiler – February 6, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also I don’t personally watch Smash but what is with the negativity. Feel like Glee, Nashville (both of which I watch) and Smash unfairly criticized.

Comment by Boiler – February 6, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just cancelled cable and will be watching online when it is available. But what do they expect? They took the show off the air for a year and didn’t release the DVD until last month with no summer reruns! Plus, their aired the first hour online – I don’t think people even knew there was a second hour pending! Americans have a short attention span! Plus, people want to see Derek and Karen and instead they bring on the new guy who looks like Oscar the Grouch brought to life – UGH!

Comment by Tracy – February 6, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay about hart of dixie and raising hope #s

Comment by ollie – February 6, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But its a GOLDEN GLOBE nominated show!! haha. I am still a huge fan, but haven’t seen the 2nd half of last night’s episode yet since I watched the first half online weeks ago.

Comment by Chris – February 6, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • REALLY??? You really had to go there??? The only reasons SMASH got nominated were because Golden Globe airs on NBC and SPIELBERG is one of its EPs … CREATIVELY, There’s no reason the show should be nominated IN ANY WAY, I can’t even believe people would consider SMASH Season 1 as an award worthy show in any way ;)

Comment by Rick James Tayler (@RickJamesTayler) – February 6, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why they waited so long to bring Smash back and when their highest rated shows are off the air. They should have aired it in the fall. That being said I thought it was terrific and much better than season 1!

Comment by Jennifer – February 6, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wherever Joshua Safran goes, cancelation follows…(RIP GG)

Comment by Prue – February 6, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So a cheap-to-make show like The Taste pulled in more people and a better demo than expensive Smash, Yikes…that’s gotta hurt.

Comment by The Beach – February 6, 2013 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was only watching Justified last night. Which was a truly fantastic episode, the best of the season. The whole hour crackled with energy, action, and humor. “I don’t like your plan, Raylan!” Walton Goggins was on fire last night. All his lines were so good. And Patton Oswalt returned! And they had a Deadwood return between Timothy Olyphant and Gerald McRaney (big jerk George Hearst himself)! We really need to get Ian McShane, William Sanderson, Brad Dourif, John Hawkes, and Garret Dillahunt on the show.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 6, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man,I thought that they were only showing 1 episode yesterday so I didn’t see the second half.Really bad promotion of it and I don’t think online sources covered that it was a 2hr premiere.Alot of folks probably saw the 1st ep online few weeks ago,then had no idea a second ep was on after.

Comment by Shaun – February 6, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jeremy Jordan is probably regretting leaving Broadway as a star to be a failed television nobody in a dreadfully written role. Yes, he has an amazing singing voice but everything else about his character was garbage. He needs to go back to the stage NOW. It’s beyond embarrassing.

Comment by Katie – February 6, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TV pays better than the stage and I think his schedule is going to open up.

Comment by layla – February 6, 2013 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m devastated. Smash has issues, but the premiere was so promising. The music is so wonderful. The show is just good campy fun. Then I see all of the people watching the moronic procedural garbage on CBS and it makes you realize there is no place for creativity left on Network tv. I wish Smash had stayed on Showtime where it belonged.

Comment by Joe – February 6, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t worry too much, odds are rating may improve, not only will it have better lead ins once voice returns, but It will never be up against the bachelor again. This show won’t get pulled, but enjoy it while it lasts.

Comment by Mike – February 6, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Promising?” Did you miss that goofy Would I Lie To You sequence?

Comment by Steven – February 6, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash being that bad will help Body of Proof numbers ( hope their revamp don’t suck )

Comment by Joe – February 6, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Further proof that entertainments site, like TVLine (not the only one), maybe should stop p**mping these flop shows – like they are big. Examples include, Smashed, Glee, 30 Rock, Go On, Nashville. Revenge is also falling into that category. The shows are far from creative genius and certainly haven’t pulled the ratings.

Comment by Chicago Dan – February 6, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Glee isn’t a flop it was huge in the 18-34 demo it’s just aging. Sites like this are concerned with page hits and unique viewers. Sometimes low rated shows have intense fandoms that generate a lot of online interest (see Chuck and Fringe).

Comment by layla – February 6, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed Smash last season but honestly they took too long to bring it back. I had pretty much forgotten about it

Comment by Samantha – February 6, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smash had a weak premiere because it was such a hot mess last year. No one should be surprised; nor should it be used to judge the new season and creative team. It’s just going to take a while for people to catch on. It was great last night, best I’ve seen of it. If that trend continues, hopefully the audience will find it.

Comment by Jim – February 6, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did like Smash last night, however, there was so much going on, I felt like they were trying to gert as much in the show as possible, so things were alittle bunched together, I think, also it was so long for it to come back I think that they may have something to do with the ratings for last night, we’ll wsee how it goes in the next few weeks

Comment by CMCV – February 6, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy for hart of dixie!

Comment by dee – February 6, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I guess not-bad-for-the-CW numbers is okay but ya gotta be concerned when the show that follows it has better ratings and has itself already been cancelled(already miss Emily Owens:( ). Still, I hope it survives because it started to find it’s way middle of last season and this year has been very good(and they need to make Kaitlyn Black a regular because Annabeth is all kinds of AWESOME).

Comment by ChrisGa – February 6, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really enjoyed SMASH last season but for some reason I’m just not that interested to watch anymore. Other than Katherine McPhee who is so talented I find the rest of the cast to be very unlikeable and pretty boring. Maybe ill catch it on demand when more episodes are available but for now I’m over it.

Comment by Jade – February 6, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we all please PRAY that Community does so much better on Thursday than Smash did last night!?!?! I don’t think I can take NBC canceling their best and smartest comedy. I can only hope that if they do cancel it (which they shouldn’t) that another station picks it up, much like TBS did with CourgarTown.

Comment by Rob H – February 6, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s extremely unlikely that it will get better ratings than Smash, but as its a sitcom with far lower production costs (and it’s much closer to reaching that magic syndication number), I’d still say Cmmunity has a better shot at being renewed. And I sure hope it does, as I’m a huge fan. Besides, we’ve already made it to season four, so why not make it to six seasons and a movie?

Comment by Eric – February 6, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that it is unlikely that it will get better ratings, but sometimes I like to live in an Abed-like world of fantasy. Honestly, though, my biggest concern isn’t with ratings so much as it is with NBC reshuffling a lot of things with the show, mainly Dan Harmon. I worry for the show’s quality without him.

Comment by Rob H – February 7, 2013 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post