Super Bowl 2013: Winners and Losers

With all due congratulations to the Baltimore Ravens on their nail-biting 34-31 win over San Francisco in Super Bowl XLVII, it has to be noted that Joe Flacco & Co. weren’t the only ones worthy of a champagne toast at the end of CBS’ Sunday-night telecast.

RELATED | Super Bowl Commercials: The Best and Worst! — Plus, Vote for Your Own Three Favorites

And in a similar vein, there are a number of players who ought to be hanging their heads lower than Colin Kaepernick and his 49ers tribe this morning.

Who scored big and who failed to light up the board? Click through our gallery below for the winners and losers of Super Bowl 2013!

TAGS: , , , ,
GET MORE: Photo Gallery, Sports

1. KT says:

No Amy Poehler for her great commercial??

2. W says:

Stop trying to make Kaley Cuoco happen. It’s not gonna happen….

• dude says:

and none for Gretchen Weiners.

• Georgia Madman says:

Kaley’s already happened — the horse is out of the barn and down the road.

• M3rc Nate says:

Not really, shes on her first hit show and hasnt really been in any movies. Once TBBT has ended she could still flop or as im sure “W” would say “she could still be shoved down our throats as hilarious and gorgeous.”

Personally i like her but i get the criticism of her and TBBT.

• dale says:

She was also on Charmed and 8 Simple Rules, they were supporting roles, but she was on 8 Simple Rules the whole run, and Charmed for a season or two. Plus TBBT is everywhere now. She is far from a one hit wonder, at this point I dont think that she has to do movies, she can be a TV actress and still be a hit

3. Tran says:

Glad they pull a Revolution gag about that infamous power outage that lasted nearly 35 minutes.

4. Kat says:

not sure that Michelle actually “won”…pretty sure they turned her mic off in the middle of the D.C. performance.

5. rockgolf says:

Winner: WWE, whose current champ, The Rock, appeared in 3 ads: for milk, Snitch and Fast Furious 6. (Also, half the kids in America were probably looking for The Shield to walk down the steps in the audience when the blackout occurred.)

6. Naomi says:

I never post but I was compelled to because I disagree with you for once. I thought Elementary’s episode was highly entertaining. One of their strongest episodes yet!

• suzi says:

I enjoyed the episode as well. It was as good as every other episode of the series so far, and that’s good enough for me.

• Russ says:

They aren’t saying it was a bad episode it was perfectly fine. But the capitalize on the post show audience, they could have done a two part episode with a great cliffhanger so that people would tune in for the show on thursday. But it was just a regular episode.

• Meeloo86 says:

I agree with you, Elementary’s episode was really fun and I enjoyed it !

• Emily says:

I really enjoyed the episode, but I thought they might do a bit more special episode, or do something, other than starting with strippers to hook people in, (even the leviathan episode, or the rat race episode, or M would have worked much better), but still I thought it was good to show viewers what a typical episode of elementary was like

• Aimee says:

I second that, Naomi! I loved that episode. It was one of my favorites. Kept me on the edge of my seat and I love the dynamic between Watson and Sherlock as they develop a friendship. So glad you posted because I never comment on these articles either but felt compelled to disagree about Elementary.

7. wrstlgirl says:

What in the world was supposed to be so special about Elementary’s post Superbowl episode. All I’ve been hearing was how they planned some great episode to bring in more viewers. Fail!! I turned it off it was so boring.

8. Jon says:

Just how short is Josh Charles?

9. eds says:

I wondered why Criminal Minds and Good Wife weren’t mentioned as well. Both do well in the ratings, and Good Wife is loved by the critics.

10. TVDIVA says:

I love Elementary, but last night’s episode was the worst. I have no idea why they chose to air that one to entice new viewers. My top three favorite commercials are – 1) the Clydesdale being reunited with his trainer, The Farmer (using a two minute narration by Paul Harvey who passed in 2009), The Jeep commercial featuring soldiers (narrated by Oprah Winfrey.) Mt favorite laugh out loud commercials were Tide (Montana Miracle Jersey washed clean by Ravens fan wife) and Space Babies (play Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round!) The rest of the commercials did not thrill me at all.

• Ann says:

Agreed. I love Elementary too, but that was a weak episode last night. They should have waited to air the Sebastian Moran/Moriarty episode last episode instead. Since the majority of people are familiar with Moriarty, it would have been a good introduction episode for new viewers, while establishing the new story arc for regular watchers.

11. Mike says:

I enjoyed Elementary last night, but I won’t go out of my way to watch it every week.

12. Tater says:

#Correction…… Winner: Nerds……..Nuff’ Said..LOL.

13. Luis says:

Loser: Nerds (plural)
    Winner: Nerd (singular).

14. lll says:

Sad that Criminal Minds, The Good Wife and Mentalist didnt get any love. CBS is the most watched network because of ALL of their shows combined, not their favorites.

15. Two Broke Girls won too…that commercial was AWESOME. I love the entire cast. :)

16. King says:

Why would anyone expect a promo for The Good Wife and The Mentalist? There are no new episodes of these shows in two weeks! It would have been a waste of money to promote these shows way early.

However, same cannot be said for Criminal Minds. If its any consolation, CBS showed only 10-sec promo for Blue Bloods with clips from previous episodes. Not that suddenly bazillion people would suddenly feel engaged to watch that snoozefest in just 10 seconds of promo.

17. Patrick says:

CBS is gearing up to kill those three shows. All three have (or soon will) reach their syndication numbers. I don’t watch TGW or CM, but the Mentalist is obviously gearing to end the show. Some of the three won’t be back next year. It is just a numbers game.

HIMYM is ending next year. Two and a Half Men could end soon, depending on contract cost. The Fri shows aren’t going up. H50 is nothing special. CBS needs replacement hits. And they aren’t going to find them in any of the three shows above. All are mature shows, with large casts whose costs are only going up. Prepare yourselves for those shows going away.

18. Alan says:

loser: nerds for being the punchline once again. people need to learn that you want us to like your product insulting us is not going to help. if the joke was at the expense of say black people it would never have been ok to air it.
    that being said it is good to see that guy get some press because he is a ridiculously hard working background extra in tv and film who is the resident nerd in just about everything.

19. Peggy says:

I enjoyed the episode of “Elementary” but I do agree it was weaker than most of the episodes have been this season. The ending seemed rushed.

20. Ram510 says:

Wow I just realized CBS didn’t have any Crimal minds, Good Wife and Mentalist ads? GW and Mentalist I kind of understand cause of low ratings but CM has had solid ratings its whole entire run. I was actually looking for Rules of Engagement ads cause they haven’t really advertised its season premiere tonight much at all. Even the ads they did have for it were a millisecond long and was just David Spades face. I hope the ratings are strong cause ROE deserves another season and better treatment from CBS

21. Emily says:

agree that elementary episode wasn’t anything superb, but I actually enjoyed it more than the more over the top glee episode, at least it gave a truer account of what the show is actually like

22. I watched solely for the Star Trek TV spot and then turned the channel. All I wanted was that 30 seconds of Cumberbatch.

23. Evan says:

Loser: Farmers because while the ad went out of its way to praise them, they failed to mention how much the government pays them not to grow anything in the first place.