How I Met Your Mother Recaplet: The 5 Best Moments From Robin Sparkles' Return

How I Met Your Mother Season 8 Robin SparklesFrom pop princess to grunge rebel.

Robin Sparkles made her return to How I Met Your Mother on Monday night. But did the fourth chapter in the singer’s journey live up to the hype? One thing’s for sure — it more than met its quota for celebrity cameos.

Let’s review the episode’s highlights and then relive Robin’s dark side in the full music video for “P.S. I Love You.”

RELATED | Kyle MacLachlan to Return to How I Met Your Mother — What Does The Captain Want?

BECOMING CANADIAN | Upon learning that Robin was once a stalker, Barney heads to the Great White North to track down the object of her obsession. The more time he spends up there, the more Canadian he becomes with his word pronunciations. Our favorite: Neil Patrick Harris slaying “ridiculous.”

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE MUSIC DIED? | Canada’s answer to Behind the Music – MuchMusic’s Underneath the Tunes – takes a look at “the day grunge was born” when Robin Sparkles became Robin Daggers in a stadium full of fans. Jason Priestley, k.d. lang, Paul Shaffer, Rush’s Geddy Lee, Alex Trebek and many more reminisced about that fateful day by sharing which Tim Hortons they were at and what kind of doughnut they were eating in that moment.

P.S. I LOVE YOU | The latest single from the former mall queen is clearly inspired by Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know,” and it’s damn catchy. It also inspires a hilariously twisted music video in which Robin Sparkles trades in her sweet pop star image for dark hair and combat boots. The full spectacle below is even crazier than what aired. But as anti-conformist as she may be, Robin Daggers is still polite. “Consider Questioning Authority, Please,” reads a sign.

IT’S A FULL HOUSE | Making a surprise appearance, Dave Coulier insists Robin’s song is not about him. Asked yet again if he’s the subject of the tune, Coulier replies, “Cut it out,” as Future Ted (voiced by Coulier’s Full House co-star Bob Saget) declares, “I always himymliked that joke.”

PACEY I LOVE YOU! | So who is “P.S. I Love You” about? Among the list of possible names: hunky Canucks Joshua Jackson and Ryan Reynolds! What, no Ryan Gosling? Alas, Robin had an older man thing – she was obsessed with Paul Shaffer, aka P.S.

HIMYM fans, what was your favorite moment from the episode? And was anyone else waiting for Abby Elliott (playing Ted’s new, stalkery girlfriend) to break out into a Drew Barrymore impersonation?

1. Hmmm says:

This episode was weird. Not bad, but weird to watch.

2. i was so happy to see Josh’s name appear!

3. James says:

That Dave Coulier joke was the funniest thing they’ve done all season

• the girl says:

Yeah seriously. I loved every minute of Dave Coulier.

• Jenny says:

I about died!!! Loved everything about Dave Coulier’s appearance!!!

• Kelly says:

that was awesome.

• J says:

Not just the Full House joke, but also his repeated insistence that the song wasn’t about him (as opposed to the actual “You Oughta Know”).

• Lauren says:

Dave Coulier was the best part of the episode!

• rockgolf says:

I’m not sure how many people get that joke in full. Yes, Dave Coulier is widely believed to be the guy Alanis Morissette is singing about in “You Oughta Know”. But “Robin Sparkles” has, since the beginning been based on the early pre-Jagged Little Pill career of Alanis Morissette when she was a Debbie Gibson pop-clone in Canada.
      If you haven’t seen it already, go to YouTube and look for “Too Hot Alanis”. You’ll see exactly where the Robin Sparkles character came from.

4. Dex P says:

Great Episode

5. Jon says:

Robin Sparkles is Canadian, but ironically the video cannot be watched by Canadians…
    WHAT THE HECK PATRICE?!?!?!?!?

6. JoeBoxer says:

The Dave Coulier bit was the best part!

7. KA77899 says:

“And was anyone else waiting for Abby Elliott (playing Ted’s new, stalkery girlfriend) to break out into a Drew Barrymore impersonation?”

Definitely!

8. Dawn says:

Speaking as a Canadian, this episode was a riot. The inside Canadian jokes had me rolling. Gino Vanelli? LOL

9. Meg says:

I thought it was the narrator of Canada’s VH1 program who liked the joke.

10. Moni says:

I think HIMYM would have been better fit for after the Super Bowl, I loved the episode.

11. the full house joke definitely was the highlight of the episode for me!

12. Mike says:

loved the full house joke

13. Mike says:

Great episode

14. Spriteshadow says:

I wonder if Tim’s pays them for the exposure, or if HIMYM has to pay Tims for all the props (signs, boxes, mugs, use of the word “timbit”….)

15. rmiriam12 says:

My favourite was the Tim Horton’s roll call. And Luc Robitaille!

16. Have to admit, the “Underneath the Tunes” bit was pretty funny. Anything else happening just felt like filler.

And Dave Coulier? He had such few lines but I couldn’t help but crack up at all of them! It was just that kind of thing.

17. Laurel says:

What do you mean , “break out into a Drew Barrymore impression”? She was doing her best Rom-Com Drew the whole time?

And wp was just OK. bNot as good as the other Robin Sparkles plots.

18. Joel says:

Missed Opportunity when the Lesbian came from the door that Lilly knocked on. Wish it was Tara from Buffy.

19. Erin says:

Yeah, but Paul Shaffer? I can’t imagine anyone having a crush on him.

• Dude says:

I’m pretty sure that was the joke.

• TV Gord says:

He was known to have “dated” Valerie Bertinelli back when she was doing One Day At A Time, and she was something like 15. I think there was kind of a wink to that, as well as to the Alanis thing. (Shaffer was then co-starring with Greg Evigan in the short-lived sitcom, A Year At The Top, and it shot on the same lot as One Day At A Time.)

20. Jenn K says:

So filled with Canadiana references. Nice nod from Dave Thomas to Hamilton and Ivor Wynne. Loved that his last name was Gerrusi. Forgive my ignorance, but are the senior writers on this show Canadian? Because any time they’ve done a Robin Sparkles episode they’ve nailed Canadiana.

I wonder how many American viewers got the references. Dave Coulier “Why does everyone think this song is about me?” – I laughed so hard at that.

• Newo says:

Cobie Smulders is from Vancouver, and one of the writers is from Ontario and is the unofficial “Canadian factchecker”

• rockgolf says:

And Chuck “Chuck” Gerussi was wearing a medallion!!! I know less than 0.1% of HIMYM viewers got the joke, but those who did died laughing.

21. Katie says:

I thought the episode was great, though it would definitely benefit the viewer to be from Canada or familiar with the culture, etc. (like me, just outside the border). Loved all the cameos, LOVED Robin Daggers, eager to see what happens next with Abby Elliott’s character.

And I’d really like to try “The Priestley”.

22. Quinn Mallory says:

Not as enjoyable as the first Robin Sparkles episode (but that was really the peak of HIMYM), but this was much better than Robin Sparkles 3. Love the Full House joke and all the Canadiens that they got for this episode, particularly which Tim Horton and what kind fo donut that they had on the day that Grunge was born (in Canada).

23. lara says:

Had to look up the whole thing about Dave Coulier and “You Oughta know”, but that was really funny. Also, cut it out!

24. Mike says:

You gave us coulier now give us stamos!

25. Nessie says:

Kelowna, BC…Maple Glazed.*sigh*

26. Amelia says:

Loved the Full House millisecond reunion. Cut, It, Out.

27. Hipper says:

Was I the only one that thought Abby Elliot was a little miscast here?

28. Waage says:

Brilliant appearance by musical legend and canadian hero and allround good guy Geddy Lee.

29. Ashley says:

Didn’t Josh Radnor take over the future Ted voice-over duties a few years back?

30. NOVA says:

Casting Abby Elliott opens up possible interactions with her real life dad, Chris Elliott, who plays Lily’s Dad on the show!!

31. edlow says:

Loved dave coulier always saying why does everyone think its me!!! So funny for them to reference his relationship with alanis moressette as if he would duplicate with robin lol that was hysterical to me

• Julie says:

I had to explain to my husband that the Alanis song was supposedly about Dave Coulier – he couldn’t understand why I died laughing the second Dave appeared on screen last night. Loved it!

32. Kel says:

Everything with Coulier was perfect. I loved the song reference and Cut. It. Out., especially Saget’s response.

And I agree with a pp’s, give us some Stamos AND Gibbler!

33. Gerald says:

Loved this episode but nothing beats Sparkles and Glitter singing “Two Beavers are better than One”
    I find Coulier as annoying as ever, the people posting on here that he was the best part must have grown up with Full House. “Cut it out” is lame. But I did appreciate that the rumours about him and Alanis made it funny he was on there denying it.
    Also enjoyed all the Canadian references. As for the writers getting it right. They certainly nailed all the stereotypes. The funniest line was “Grunge was born in 1996, Canada. that is about right… Alex Trebek doesn’t know music” then Geddy Lee says the same thing. Funny.

34. Loolip says:

Episode was awesome, I liked new Robin, almost gothic style.
    Okay, of all on the list of possible names, let’s guess who will guest star in season 9 as real “PS. I love you”. I don’t buy it Paul Shaffer, although it is funny. Ryan Reynolds?Joshua Jackson? Let the voting begin! :D my vote: “Mighty” Joshua Jackson :)))

35. canuckguest says:

I laughed hard. I’ve been living in Canada for 7 years now and the jokes are bang on.

36. Alan says:

Chuck “Chuck” Gerussi, that alone made the episode for me, i think i died laughing when that pooped up onscreen.
    this was easily the best episode of the season, felt like real how i met your mother not generic new york sitcom like it has for the last while, keep it up writers.
    im not canadian so i didnt get all the jokes but ive got enough of a canadian education from this show that i got a fair few and it was all brilliant.
    dare i say that was robin’s second best song? nothing will beat lets go to the mall but that came close, mainly due to the fact you can actually sing it unlike sancastles.
    good to see abby elliot, lots more of her please, she needs to interact with her father chris as well.
    the only thing i didnt like was the reveal that lily engineered meeting marshal, that story was so sweet and complete it didnt need anymore to be told.
    kinda wish josh jackson made an appearance because i think he would be fantastic in a comedy.

• justsomegirl says:

I feel really immature, but I bust up laughing reading your comment and your misspelling of the word “popped”

• Alan says:

whoops, never even noticed that when i was writing it. it may be childish but i can laugh at myself for something like that

37. Jodie says:

Does the Paul Shaeffer revelation mean that Robin came to NYC to follow him? It would be neat if journalist Robin Sherbotsky had a professional encounter with P.S. before the end of the show’s run.

38. Naomi says:

Is it wrong that i found ‘Grunge’ Robyn kind of hot?? xx

39. Emg says:

Best part was Barney getting beat by Alan Thicke who was eating a doughnut.

40. JennK says:

Just an FYI. CHeck out the Tim Hortons Facebook page. They have now created “The Priestly”.

41. Evan says:

As much as everyone loved Coulier saying “Cut It Out” and then segueing into a Full House reference, Coulier’s been doing that bit long before Full House.

For quite a few of us, we think of it as a “Out of Control” shout out from when he starred on that show on Nickelodeon. He was doing it there before he was cast on Full House.

Now for the person who said Tara should have been behind the door when she got the lesbian: GENUIS!!!!!!

42. Sparkles says:

I love the irony of people spelling genius wrong ^^^

43. buckboard says:

I liked when everyone kept denying it was them the song was about, k.d. lang said regretfully, “I wish it had been me.”