How I Met Your Mother Recaplet: The 5 Best Moments From Robin Sparkles' Return

Get More: Recaps

How I Met Your Mother Season 8 Robin SparklesFrom pop princess to grunge rebel.

Robin Sparkles made her return to How I Met Your Mother on Monday night. But did the fourth chapter in the singer’s journey live up to the hype? One thing’s for sure — it more than met its quota for celebrity cameos.

Let’s review the episode’s highlights and then relive Robin’s dark side in the full music video for “P.S. I Love You.”

RELATED | Kyle MacLachlan to Return to How I Met Your Mother — What Does The Captain Want?

BECOMING CANADIAN | Upon learning that Robin was once a stalker, Barney heads to the Great White North to track down the object of her obsession. The more time he spends up there, the more Canadian he becomes with his word pronunciations. Our favorite: Neil Patrick Harris slaying “ridiculous.”

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE MUSIC DIED? | Canada’s answer to Behind the Music – MuchMusic’s Underneath the Tunes – takes a look at “the day grunge was born” when Robin Sparkles became Robin Daggers in a stadium full of fans. Jason Priestley, k.d. lang, Paul Shaffer, Rush’s Geddy Lee, Alex Trebek and many more reminisced about that fateful day by sharing which Tim Hortons they were at and what kind of doughnut they were eating in that moment.

P.S. I LOVE YOU | The latest single from the former mall queen is clearly inspired by Alanis Morissette’s “You Oughta Know,” and it’s damn catchy. It also inspires a hilariously twisted music video in which Robin Sparkles trades in her sweet pop star image for dark hair and combat boots. The full spectacle below is even crazier than what aired. But as anti-conformist as she may be, Robin Daggers is still polite. “Consider Questioning Authority, Please,” reads a sign.

IT’S A FULL HOUSE | Making a surprise appearance, Dave Coulier insists Robin’s song is not about him. Asked yet again if he’s the subject of the tune, Coulier replies, “Cut it out,” as Future Ted (voiced by Coulier’s Full House co-star Bob Saget) declares, “I always himymliked that joke.”

PACEY I LOVE YOU! | So who is “P.S. I Love You” about? Among the list of possible names: hunky Canucks Joshua Jackson and Ryan Reynolds! What, no Ryan Gosling? Alas, Robin had an older man thing – she was obsessed with Paul Shaffer, aka P.S.

HIMYM fans, what was your favorite moment from the episode? And was anyone else waiting for Abby Elliott (playing Ted’s new, stalkery girlfriend) to break out into a Drew Barrymore impersonation?

Comments (87)

• This episode was weird. Not bad, but weird to watch.

Comment by Hmmm – February 4, 2013 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i was so happy to see Josh’s name appear!

Comment by angela (@angelamorales18) – February 4, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That Dave Coulier joke was the funniest thing they’ve done all season

Comment by James – February 4, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah seriously. I loved every minute of Dave Coulier.

Comment by the girl – February 4, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I about died!!! Loved everything about Dave Coulier’s appearance!!!

Comment by Jenny – February 4, 2013 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that was awesome.

Comment by Kelly – February 5, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not just the Full House joke, but also his repeated insistence that the song wasn’t about him (as opposed to the actual “You Oughta Know”).

Comment by J – February 5, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dave Coulier was the best part of the episode!

Comment by Lauren – February 5, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m not sure how many people get that joke in full. Yes, Dave Coulier is widely believed to be the guy Alanis Morissette is singing about in “You Oughta Know”. But “Robin Sparkles” has, since the beginning been based on the early pre-Jagged Little Pill career of Alanis Morissette when she was a Debbie Gibson pop-clone in Canada.
      If you haven’t seen it already, go to YouTube and look for “Too Hot Alanis”. You’ll see exactly where the Robin Sparkles character came from.

Comment by rockgolf – February 5, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Episode

Comment by Dex P – February 4, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robin Sparkles is Canadian, but ironically the video cannot be watched by Canadians…
    WHAT THE HECK PATRICE?!?!?!?!?

Comment by Jon – February 4, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just died laughing…

Comment by Bethany – February 4, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just genuinely laughed out loud… On a bus… Surrounded by window lickers… Thanks for that!

Comment by @PortmanReview – February 5, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So much win. So much.

Comment by Hipper – February 5, 2013 01:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know why, and I don’t want to know why, but every single time Robin yells at Patrice, I laugh out loud, like some idiot. Why is that SO FUNNY to me??? Don’t answer.

Comment by Rrrrobertttt – February 5, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ill answer anyway. its comedic sociopathy (not sure if ive spelled that right), basically we already know and like robin so when we see her do something like that we think its funny but if they were to introduce a new character to shout at patrice we wouldnt find it funny at all.

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Dave Coulier bit was the best part!

Comment by JoeBoxer – February 4, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “And was anyone else waiting for Abby Elliott (playing Ted’s new, stalkery girlfriend) to break out into a Drew Barrymore impersonation?”

Definitely!

Comment by KA77899 – February 4, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Given her father (Chris Elliott) plays Lily’s father, wanna bet it turns out they’re half-sisters?

Comment by rockgolf – February 5, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that too!

Comment by Ben – February 5, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Speaking as a Canadian, this episode was a riot. The inside Canadian jokes had me rolling. Gino Vanelli? LOL

Comment by Dawn – February 4, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more! As a Canadian I loved it and I practically died with the Gino Vanelli joke !

Comment by Jess D – February 4, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree!! It was a trip seeing all the Canadians and the yes, Gino Vanelli was the best part!!

Comment by Mike – February 4, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People Gotta Move! I Just Wanna Stop! Black Cars (look better in the shade)!

Comment by rockgolf – February 5, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Usually the Canadian jokes on this show are not funny (hockey, beavers, Tim Hortons…), but this time there were actually some good ones.

Comment by Alice – February 4, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, other than the pronounciations. Who talks like that other than maybe one province?? “about” “a-boat”

Comment by Jo – February 5, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • oh yes they are. just not for Canadians. :D

Comment by guest – February 5, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed! I loved this episode, even the little mention of hamilton and guelph have me a chuckle

Comment by jenna – February 6, 2013 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought it was the narrator of Canada’s VH1 program who liked the joke.

Comment by Meg – February 4, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think HIMYM would have been better fit for after the Super Bowl, I loved the episode.

Comment by Moni – February 4, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the full house joke definitely was the highlight of the episode for me!

Comment by Jenna Vento (@jvento) – February 4, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved the full house joke

Comment by Mike – February 4, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great episode

Comment by Mike – February 4, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if Tim’s pays them for the exposure, or if HIMYM has to pay Tims for all the props (signs, boxes, mugs, use of the word “timbit”….)

Comment by Spriteshadow – February 4, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favourite was the Tim Horton’s roll call. And Luc Robitaille!

Comment by rmiriam12 – February 4, 2013 07:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, nice to see someone else who likes Luc!

Comment by Peggy – February 5, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have to admit, the “Underneath the Tunes” bit was pretty funny. Anything else happening just felt like filler.

And Dave Coulier? He had such few lines but I couldn’t help but crack up at all of them! It was just that kind of thing.

Comment by Taneem (@TeeManX) – February 4, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What do you mean , “break out into a Drew Barrymore impression”? She was doing her best Rom-Com Drew the whole time?

And wp was just OK. bNot as good as the other Robin Sparkles plots.

Comment by Laurel – February 4, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Missed Opportunity when the Lesbian came from the door that Lilly knocked on. Wish it was Tara from Buffy.

Comment by Joel – February 4, 2013 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1 That would’ve been.an awesome Buffy inside joke

Comment by Doug – February 5, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN BEYOND AMAZING!

Comment by Lauren – February 5, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That definitely would have been a great little nod.

Comment by Brooke – February 5, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, but Paul Shaffer? I can’t imagine anyone having a crush on him.

Comment by Erin – February 4, 2013 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m pretty sure that was the joke.

Comment by Dude – February 5, 2013 01:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was known to have “dated” Valerie Bertinelli back when she was doing One Day At A Time, and she was something like 15. I think there was kind of a wink to that, as well as to the Alanis thing. (Shaffer was then co-starring with Greg Evigan in the short-lived sitcom, A Year At The Top, and it shot on the same lot as One Day At A Time.)

Comment by TV Gord – February 5, 2013 03:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So filled with Canadiana references. Nice nod from Dave Thomas to Hamilton and Ivor Wynne. Loved that his last name was Gerrusi. Forgive my ignorance, but are the senior writers on this show Canadian? Because any time they’ve done a Robin Sparkles episode they’ve nailed Canadiana.

I wonder how many American viewers got the references. Dave Coulier “Why does everyone think this song is about me?” – I laughed so hard at that.

Comment by Jenn K – February 4, 2013 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cobie Smulders is from Vancouver, and one of the writers is from Ontario and is the unofficial “Canadian factchecker”

Comment by Newo – February 5, 2013 06:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And Chuck “Chuck” Gerussi was wearing a medallion!!! I know less than 0.1% of HIMYM viewers got the joke, but those who did died laughing.

Comment by rockgolf – February 5, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the episode was great, though it would definitely benefit the viewer to be from Canada or familiar with the culture, etc. (like me, just outside the border). Loved all the cameos, LOVED Robin Daggers, eager to see what happens next with Abby Elliott’s character.

And I’d really like to try “The Priestley”.

Comment by Katie – February 4, 2013 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only thing is he didn’t mention was what flavour timbit.It would make all the difference,

Comment by Jenn K – February 4, 2013 08:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not as enjoyable as the first Robin Sparkles episode (but that was really the peak of HIMYM), but this was much better than Robin Sparkles 3. Love the Full House joke and all the Canadiens that they got for this episode, particularly which Tim Horton and what kind fo donut that they had on the day that Grunge was born (in Canada).

Comment by Quinn Mallory – February 4, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Had to look up the whole thing about Dave Coulier and “You Oughta know”, but that was really funny. Also, cut it out!

Comment by lara – February 4, 2013 09:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You gave us coulier now give us stamos!

Comment by Mike – February 4, 2013 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Screw Stamos, give us the Gibbler!

Comment by jericho – February 5, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Seconded! I want the Gibbler!!

Comment by twilight123 – February 5, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelowna, BC…Maple Glazed.*sigh*

Comment by Nessie – February 4, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought it was Squamish. Bit of a distance between the two. Still, that roll call was funny.

Comment by JennK – February 5, 2013 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • KELOWNA!!!

Comment by DanO – February 5, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the Full House millisecond reunion. Cut, It, Out.

Comment by Amelia – February 5, 2013 12:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Was I the only one that thought Abby Elliot was a little miscast here?

Comment by Hipper – February 5, 2013 01:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a feeling that, as Ted’s “last big mistake”, her role will offer her ample opportunities to come. We were watching “reigned in” Abby.

Comment by J – February 5, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wonder if she will get any scenes with her dad. That could be funny.

Comment by Sam – February 5, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant appearance by musical legend and canadian hero and allround good guy Geddy Lee.

Comment by Waage – February 5, 2013 01:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t Josh Radnor take over the future Ted voice-over duties a few years back?

Comment by Ashley – February 5, 2013 02:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • no, it’s still Bob Saget.

Comment by JJ – February 5, 2013 03:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Casting Abby Elliott opens up possible interactions with her real life dad, Chris Elliott, who plays Lily’s Dad on the show!!

Comment by NOVA – February 5, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved dave coulier always saying why does everyone think its me!!! So funny for them to reference his relationship with alanis moressette as if he would duplicate with robin lol that was hysterical to me

Comment by edlow – February 5, 2013 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had to explain to my husband that the Alanis song was supposedly about Dave Coulier – he couldn’t understand why I died laughing the second Dave appeared on screen last night. Loved it!

Comment by Julie – February 5, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Everything with Coulier was perfect. I loved the song reference and Cut. It. Out., especially Saget’s response.

And I agree with a pp’s, give us some Stamos AND Gibbler!

Comment by Kel – February 5, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this episode but nothing beats Sparkles and Glitter singing “Two Beavers are better than One”
    I find Coulier as annoying as ever, the people posting on here that he was the best part must have grown up with Full House. “Cut it out” is lame. But I did appreciate that the rumours about him and Alanis made it funny he was on there denying it.
    Also enjoyed all the Canadian references. As for the writers getting it right. They certainly nailed all the stereotypes. The funniest line was “Grunge was born in 1996, Canada. that is about right… Alex Trebek doesn’t know music” then Geddy Lee says the same thing. Funny.

Comment by Gerald – February 5, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Episode was awesome, I liked new Robin, almost gothic style.
    Okay, of all on the list of possible names, let’s guess who will guest star in season 9 as real “PS. I love you”. I don’t buy it Paul Shaffer, although it is funny. Ryan Reynolds?Joshua Jackson? Let the voting begin! :D my vote: “Mighty” Joshua Jackson :)))

Comment by Loolip – February 5, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I laughed hard. I’ve been living in Canada for 7 years now and the jokes are bang on.

Comment by canuckguest – February 5, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck “Chuck” Gerussi, that alone made the episode for me, i think i died laughing when that pooped up onscreen.
    this was easily the best episode of the season, felt like real how i met your mother not generic new york sitcom like it has for the last while, keep it up writers.
    im not canadian so i didnt get all the jokes but ive got enough of a canadian education from this show that i got a fair few and it was all brilliant.
    dare i say that was robin’s second best song? nothing will beat lets go to the mall but that came close, mainly due to the fact you can actually sing it unlike sancastles.
    good to see abby elliot, lots more of her please, she needs to interact with her father chris as well.
    the only thing i didnt like was the reveal that lily engineered meeting marshal, that story was so sweet and complete it didnt need anymore to be told.
    kinda wish josh jackson made an appearance because i think he would be fantastic in a comedy.

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel really immature, but I bust up laughing reading your comment and your misspelling of the word “popped”

Comment by justsomegirl – February 5, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • whoops, never even noticed that when i was writing it. it may be childish but i can laugh at myself for something like that

Comment by Alan – February 6, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does the Paul Shaeffer revelation mean that Robin came to NYC to follow him? It would be neat if journalist Robin Sherbotsky had a professional encounter with P.S. before the end of the show’s run.

Comment by Jodie – February 5, 2013 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it wrong that i found ‘Grunge’ Robyn kind of hot?? xx

Comment by Naomi – February 5, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • definitely nothing wrong with that because cobie smulders can make anything hot, even her robin sparkles outfit.

Comment by Alan – February 5, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best part was Barney getting beat by Alan Thicke who was eating a doughnut.

Comment by Emg – February 5, 2013 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just an FYI. CHeck out the Tim Hortons Facebook page. They have now created “The Priestly”.

Comment by JennK – February 5, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I saw that !! And Jason Priestly responded saying his life has now been made LOL

Comment by Jo – February 6, 2013 06:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nice cash in by them, very clever marketing

Comment by Alan – February 6, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as everyone loved Coulier saying “Cut It Out” and then segueing into a Full House reference, Coulier’s been doing that bit long before Full House.

For quite a few of us, we think of it as a “Out of Control” shout out from when he starred on that show on Nickelodeon. He was doing it there before he was cast on Full House.

Now for the person who said Tara should have been behind the door when she got the lesbian: GENUIS!!!!!!

Comment by Evan – February 5, 2013 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the irony of people spelling genius wrong ^^^

Comment by Sparkles – February 5, 2013 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Odd, I wasn’t spellchecked. It happens.

Comment by Evan – February 6, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked when everyone kept denying it was them the song was about, k.d. lang said regretfully, “I wish it had been me.”

Comment by buckboard – February 6, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post