Exclusive

Exclusive First Look: Syfy's New Defiance Trailer Explores a 'Brave' New World

Defiance Syfy TrailerSyfy’s Defiance promises a new world with new rules — and to go with that we have a new trailer to premiere.

RELATED | Continuum Star Rachel Nichols Talks Time Trippiness, Her Spacesuit’s Not-So-Sexy Side

Premiering Monday, April 15, Defiance depicts an Earth that has been terraformed to accommodate the seven alien races that must now coexist with humans — and make no mistake, they do not all get along.

Grant Bowler (True Blood) stars as Nolan, an adventurer who, with his ward Irisa (Whitechapel‘s Stephanie Leonidas), is doing his best to survive in the free-for-all “badlands” area when he comes across the town of Defiance (fka St. Louis).

Julie Benz (Dexter) plays newly minted Defiance mayor Amanda Rosewater, Tony Curran (24) and Jaime Murray (Warehouse 13) form the heads of the powerful Tarr family, Graham Greene (Being Erica) plays mining operator Rafe McCawley and Mia Kirshner (24) is brothel boss Kenya. (An online gaming component, also out April 15, lets players explore the new frontier of the San Francisco Bay area.)

RELATED | Syfy Schedules Broadcast Premiere for Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Pilot

New to this trailer, we see lone wolf Nolan come to respect the plucky Defiance residents as they prepare to fend off an alien assault. But will Irisa agree to put down roots for the first time in her life?

Loading video...

1. I’ve been waiting for this show from the second I learned they’ve cast Julie Benz!

2. Kristen says:

I’ve been looking forward to this since they announced the initial casting! Can’t wait get the game, too.

3. tp says:

I really want to watch this but seeing as how SyFy has cancelled most of the shows I watched I’m scared to become attached.

• Patrick says:

We as fans have to adjust our expectations wrt to SyFy. If it isn’t a buzzworthy hit, then it had better be cost effective. BSG cost a fortune, but was very popular. On the other end of the spectrum is that show about the town in Maine or wherever. It isn’t a huge hit, but it is very cheap to produce.

I was a huge fan of Eureka, but the show must have been ruinously expensive. First was the huge cast. Next was the special effects. If a show like that isn’t delivering huge numbers (per that net’s expectations), then it has to go.

Defiance will fall into that “trap” as it were. If isn’t a ratings success, it won’t last. Because it will be expensive.

• tp72 says:

Yeah, I like Haven and loved Eureka. I was disappointed they canceled Alphas and Eureka. They keep all those stupid ghost “reality” shows on. I’m torn between watching Defiance now or waiting to see if it will make it.

• Schiefer says:

you see this doesn’t make much sense to me at all. if everyone thought like that there would never be a hit tv show.. if everyone “waits” to see the ratings how do you expect a show to even get those ratings in the first place -_-

so basically peoples fear is already going to determine that this and all other shows will be doomed? no wonder every good season on syfy is scrapped so quickly..

4. leah says:

I really hope kirshner doesn’t ruin this for me

5. nerv67 says:

can’t wait to see Jaime Murray as alien in that show

6. Steph says:

Can’t wait. I first heard buzz about it a couple of summers ago and have been looking forward to it ever since. I mainly kept track of it because Rockne S O’bannon was apart of it and he hasn’t really done anything since Farscape. It has been a long time coming.

7. Andie says:

I used to live in St. Louis, so one of the reasons I’m interested in this show is that it is technically set there. I wonder why they chose that city!

8. Gloria says:

Julie Benz and Jaime Murray in the same show? you must be crazy to not watch this!! April 15 come quick! can’t wait for this. G-

9. nick1372 says:

There should be a “I cant see the freaking video!!!” option…

10. Cheo says:

Will it be on before or after wrestling?

11. Heather S. says:

Still bitter about Farscape, SyFy has a long way to go to before I trust them again. If this goes for more than 1 season, I may watch it.

12. Brenda says:

Am anxious about investing in a new series on this network ….. i.e. Alphas and Caprica. Damn, am gonna miss Alphas, was really getting into that series just when it was killed off.

13. mia says:

Love Julie Benz and the show looks promising….but its SyFy so I’m going in knowing I’m going to be disappointed at some point. Either by its early cancellation or the network interferring so heavily with the plot/structure that it looses all semblance of itself. Or both lol.
    Still, going to tune in!

14. Jay says:

Oh, I love the space-futuristic look this series has. Yes, It seem to be inspired by many hit shows like Star Trek and Firefly. With Julie Benz on board I can’t see how this show can fail! Look at all the beautiful creatures and potential storylines-shown in the pilot! I’m definitely tuning in

15. Raph says:

I have been waitig for this so eagerly since the moment I found out Eloise Howki… ops Fionnula Flanagan and Mia Kirshner were cast.

16. Paul Mann says:

Looking forward to this one. As I have hearing issues sure hope subtitles are running!
    Just hope I don’t get into it and then find it is pulled – like so many others!