Exclusive First Look: Syfy's New Defiance Trailer Explores a 'Brave' New World

Defiance Syfy TrailerSyfy’s Defiance promises a new world with new rules — and to go with that we have a new trailer to premiere.

RELATED | Continuum Star Rachel Nichols Talks Time Trippiness, Her Spacesuit’s Not-So-Sexy Side

Premiering Monday, April 15, Defiance depicts an Earth that has been terraformed to accommodate the seven alien races that must now coexist with humans — and make no mistake, they do not all get along.

Grant Bowler (True Blood) stars as Nolan, an adventurer who, with his ward Irisa (Whitechapel‘s Stephanie Leonidas), is doing his best to survive in the free-for-all “badlands” area when he comes across the town of Defiance (fka St. Louis).

Julie Benz (Dexter) plays newly minted Defiance mayor Amanda Rosewater, Tony Curran (24) and Jaime Murray (Warehouse 13) form the heads of the powerful Tarr family, Graham Greene (Being Erica) plays mining operator Rafe McCawley and Mia Kirshner (24) is brothel boss Kenya. (An online gaming component, also out April 15, lets players explore the new frontier of the San Francisco Bay area.)

RELATED | Syfy Schedules Broadcast Premiere for Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome Pilot

New to this trailer, we see lone wolf Nolan come to respect the plucky Defiance residents as they prepare to fend off an alien assault. But will Irisa agree to put down roots for the first time in her life?

Loading video...

Tags: ,

Comments (24)

• I’ve been waiting for this show from the second I learned they’ve cast Julie Benz!

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – February 4, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been looking forward to this since they announced the initial casting! Can’t wait get the game, too.

Comment by Kristen – February 4, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TO get the game, I mean. Got too excited there.

Comment by Kristen – February 4, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want to watch this but seeing as how SyFy has cancelled most of the shows I watched I’m scared to become attached.

Comment by tp – February 4, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We as fans have to adjust our expectations wrt to SyFy. If it isn’t a buzzworthy hit, then it had better be cost effective. BSG cost a fortune, but was very popular. On the other end of the spectrum is that show about the town in Maine or wherever. It isn’t a huge hit, but it is very cheap to produce.

I was a huge fan of Eureka, but the show must have been ruinously expensive. First was the huge cast. Next was the special effects. If a show like that isn’t delivering huge numbers (per that net’s expectations), then it has to go.

Defiance will fall into that “trap” as it were. If isn’t a ratings success, it won’t last. Because it will be expensive.

Comment by Patrick – February 4, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I like Haven and loved Eureka. I was disappointed they canceled Alphas and Eureka. They keep all those stupid ghost “reality” shows on. I’m torn between watching Defiance now or waiting to see if it will make it.

Comment by tp72 – February 4, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • you see this doesn’t make much sense to me at all. if everyone thought like that there would never be a hit tv show.. if everyone “waits” to see the ratings how do you expect a show to even get those ratings in the first place -_-

so basically peoples fear is already going to determine that this and all other shows will be doomed? no wonder every good season on syfy is scrapped so quickly..

Comment by Schiefer – March 20, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope kirshner doesn’t ruin this for me

Comment by leah – February 4, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t wait to see Jaime Murray as alien in that show

Comment by nerv67 – February 4, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is wonderfully otherworldly.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 4, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait. I first heard buzz about it a couple of summers ago and have been looking forward to it ever since. I mainly kept track of it because Rockne S O’bannon was apart of it and he hasn’t really done anything since Farscape. It has been a long time coming.

Comment by Steph – February 4, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I used to live in St. Louis, so one of the reasons I’m interested in this show is that it is technically set there. I wonder why they chose that city!

Comment by Andie – February 4, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d guess because of the arch

Comment by leah – February 4, 2013 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also a reason for me, though I don’t really like St. Louis so I wanna see how crappy they portray it in the future

Comment by B – February 4, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Julie Benz and Jaime Murray in the same show? you must be crazy to not watch this!! April 15 come quick! can’t wait for this. G-

Comment by Gloria – February 4, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There should be a “I cant see the freaking video!!!” option…

Comment by nick1372 – February 4, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will it be on before or after wrestling?

Comment by Cheo – February 4, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It airs on a different night. Oh, wait, you were trying to be funny. Hilarious.

Comment by Rangefinder – February 4, 2013 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still bitter about Farscape, SyFy has a long way to go to before I trust them again. If this goes for more than 1 season, I may watch it.

Comment by Heather S. – February 4, 2013 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am anxious about investing in a new series on this network ….. i.e. Alphas and Caprica. Damn, am gonna miss Alphas, was really getting into that series just when it was killed off.

Comment by Brenda – February 4, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Julie Benz and the show looks promising….but its SyFy so I’m going in knowing I’m going to be disappointed at some point. Either by its early cancellation or the network interferring so heavily with the plot/structure that it looses all semblance of itself. Or both lol.
    Still, going to tune in!

Comment by mia – February 4, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I love the space-futuristic look this series has. Yes, It seem to be inspired by many hit shows like Star Trek and Firefly. With Julie Benz on board I can’t see how this show can fail! Look at all the beautiful creatures and potential storylines-shown in the pilot! I’m definitely tuning in

Comment by Jay – February 8, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been waitig for this so eagerly since the moment I found out Eloise Howki… ops Fionnula Flanagan and Mia Kirshner were cast.

Comment by Raph – February 12, 2013 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this one. As I have hearing issues sure hope subtitles are running!
    Just hope I don’t get into it and then find it is pulled – like so many others!

Comment by Paul Mann – March 15, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post