What to Watch Sunday: Super Bowl Showdown, Elementary's Own Big Game, Downton and More

Super BowlOn TV this Sunday: The Super Bowl hits the Big Easy, then hands off to Elementary. Also, happiness is a warm Puppy Bowl and Downton Abbey acts right stroppy indeed. Here are nine programs to keep on your radar.

9 am-3 am Golden Girls marathon (Hallmark Channel) | You can say “Thank you for being a friend” over and over again with this run of Sophia/Rose/Dorothy/Blanche adventures. Now who’s bringing the cheesecake?

3 pm Puppy Bowl IX (Animal Planet) | Even if you don’t care much for gridiron glory, what’s not to love about puppies tussling about on a fake football field, with hedgehog cheerleaders and a kitten halftime show? (New this year: the slow-mo “Cute Cam.” I die.)

4 pm-Midnight Star Trek: The Next Generation marathon (BBC America) | Super Bowl resistance may be futile, but give it a shot anyway with these Season 5 and 6 episodes, beginning with “I, Borg” and ending with “Relics.”

RELATED | Beyonce Promises Live Performance at Super Bowl XLVII

6:25 pm Super Bowl XLVII (CBS) | The Baltimore Ravens go up against the San Francisco 49ers in New Orleans, with Beyoncé rocking the live halftime show. Who do you like? Hey, poll!

RELATED | Downton Abbey Season 4 Casting Scoop: [Spoiler]‘s Getting a New Suitor!

9 pm Downton Abbey (PBS) | Robert and Cora aren’t speaking, the servants shun Matthew’s mother Isobel and Matthew and Robert have fallen out. Oh dear…

9 pm Live From New York: The First 5 Years of Saturday Night Live (NBC) | This repeat two-hour special chronicles the Not Ready for Primetime Players’ beginnings.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

10 pm Elementary (CBS) | Sherlock pursues an unpredictable criminal (played by Oz‘s Terry Kinney) alongside a FBI profiler (Covert Affairs‘ Kari Matchett) who literally wrote the book on the felon. Meanwhile, Watson faces eviction.

10 pm Modern Family (ABC) | Back-to-back Repeats to Revisit: Lily’s first day at school ends with Cam in a standoff with a lesbian mom, and Phil (“Not a Real Man”) makes plans to have a vasectomy.

RELATED | Hot for Winter: Your February Premieres and Finales Calendar

11:35 pm The Craig Ferguson Super Bowl Special (CBS) | Steve Carell (The Office), Neil Patrick Harris (How I Met Your Mother), Julie Chen (The Talk), Nikki Reed (Twilight) and New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees join Ferguson’s post-Bowl bash in New Orleans.

Hit the comments with your must-see picks from tonight’s lineup!

Comments (38)

• Elementary (regardless of the Super Bowl!)

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – February 3, 2013 04:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sigh. :( Looks like a movie night for me.

Comment by Kim R – February 3, 2013 05:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Music Man and My Fair Lady on TCM. Or Downton Abbey on PBS.

Comment by Templar – February 3, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For those NOT watching the Super Bowl or any shows airing tonight if you have Netflix I recommend watching ‘House of Cards’ (starring Kevin Spacey, Robin Wright, Kate Mara) I’m only a few episodes in but it’s been amazing so far.

Comment by Dan – February 3, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, I’ve watched 5 episodes so far, I think its fantastic

Comment by Martina – February 3, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I did a marathon, and watched all episodes…fantastic show, want more….

Comment by LynneD – February 3, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have heard House of Cards is good. My daughter was an extra in the campaign office, so you’d think I would have watched it by now, but there’s just too much going on this weekend! Can hardly wait to see it.

Comment by Mel – February 3, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So it’s that good then? I’m curious about it. It’s directed by David Fincher, I think, which is what intrigues me. Netflix’s new format of releasing all episodes at once is an interesting one for sure. I’m wondering if the Emmys will take this new format of television seriously when casting their nominations this summer.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 3, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy bowl! Been waiting all week for this.

Comment by Tubbs – February 3, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super Bowl – Go Ravens!
    Elementary

Comment by Holly – February 3, 2013 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is lost girl on tonight ??

Comment by lynn – February 3, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, it’s on tomorrow (every Monday nights) :-(

Comment by Tran – February 3, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super Bowl – I’m rootin’ for the 49ers to win and the post Super Bowl episode of Elementary. On Demand: Downton Abbey.

Comment by Tran – February 3, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy bowl!!!

Comment by mia – February 3, 2013 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy Bowl!!

Comment by LynnH – February 3, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elementary! Don’t care who wins but will watch the commercials. Beyonce..no thanks.

Comment by tahina – February 3, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m super exited for the Beyonce concert tonight

Comment by James – February 3, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I will also have exited for the Beyonce concert tonight. Super Bowl, then GP and the Fergs.

Comment by gustyj – February 3, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super Bowl til 9, then DowntonAbbey, and then I’m hoping the SB will run over it’s allotted
    time, so I can switch back to catch the end of the game!

Comment by mrspeel2 – February 3, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll have the Superbowl on in the background while I finish all my homework.

Comment by Babybop – February 3, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elementary and Puppy Bowl!

Comment by Andy – February 3, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Walking Dead Marathon starting at 3 pm fyi

Comment by Chris – February 3, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 3 pm EST that is

Comment by Chris – February 3, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No SuperBowl, just Elementary and other shows I’ve already got on the DVR. Downton Abbey, possibly. Getting bored with their ridiculous antics.

Comment by Liana in San Diego – February 3, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super Bowl!!

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – February 3, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig!

Comment by lucy – February 3, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t episode two of Amerika on tonite? I loved Ep One.

Comment by Alienate – February 3, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since I’m not invested in either team this year, it’s all about the PUPPY BOWL! Craig Ferguson should be great too.

Comment by Deena – February 3, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • super bowl!!

Comment by ollie – February 3, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super Bowl, Go Ravens !
    DVR Downton Abbey and the Puppy Bowl.

Comment by Whatever – February 3, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elementary for me, don’t care about the Super Bowl

Comment by D – February 3, 2013 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy Bowl for sure and I’m going to a Superbowl party later tonight but we’re mainly watching for the commercials, LOL ;)

Comment by HeatherC – February 3, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elementary!!!! Second time this week! Can`t wait :)

Comment by mima – February 3, 2013 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Ravens!

Comment by Mel – February 3, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Craig Ferguson!!

Comment by DreamRose311 – February 3, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GP and the Fergs duh!

Comment by Polly – February 3, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Puppy Bowl, Puppy Bowl, Puppy Bowl. I assume Girls and Shameless are on tonight too, no? I have a newfound respect for Lena Dunham. (Not that I didn’t respect her before, cuz I did.) Last night she became the first ever female director ever to win a Director’s Guild Award for directing a comedy. She’s become historic! And it’s totally deserved. And I imagine all her haters are foaming at the mouth over it right now. Ha. I was hoping TVLine would mention her historic win in an article about the DGAs, but I didn’t see one. Maybe I just missed it. Congrats to you, Miss Dunham. You’ve accomplished so much at your young age of 26.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 3, 2013 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post