NAACP Image Awards: Big Winners Include Kerry Washington, Loretta Devine, Steel Magnolias

44th NAACP Image Awards - Press RoomKerry Washington was a big winner at Friday’s 44th NAACP Image Awards, where in addition to seeing Scandal honored as best TV drama and being named best actress in a drama series, she also scored best supporting actress in a motion picture (for Django Unchained).

Other multiple winners on the TV side were Loretta Devine (for Grey’s Anatomy and Disney’s Doc McStuffins), Tyler Perry’s House of Payne, Lifetime’s Steel Magnolias telepic and daytime’s The Young and the Restless.

RELATED | SAG Awards Spread the Wealth: 30 Rock, Modern Family, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey Win

The complete list of TV winners is as follows; our sister site Deadline has all other categories.

DRAMA SERIES | Scandal
ACTOR IN A DRAMA | LL Cool J, NCIS: Los Angeles
ACTRESS IN A DRAMA | Kerry Washington, Scandal
SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA | Omar Epps, House
SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA | Loretta Devine, Grey’s Anatomy

COMEDY SERIES | The Game (BET)
ACTOR IN A COMEDY | Don Cheadle, House Of Lies
ACTRESS IN A COMEDY | Cassi Davis, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne
SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY | Lance Gross, Tyler Perry’s House of Payne
SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY | Vanessa Williams, Desperate Housewives

RELATED | Producers Guild Awards Honor Homeland, Modern Family, J.J. Abrams, Colbert and Others

TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES | Steel Magnolias (Lifetime)
ACTOR IN A TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES | Cuba Gooding, Jr., Hallmark Hall of Fame’s Firelight
ACTOR IN A TV-MOVIE OR MINISERIES | Alfre Woodard, Steel Magnolias

ACTOR IN A DAYTIME DRAMA | Kristoff St. John, The Young and the Restless
ACTOR IN A DAYTIME DRAMA | Tatyana Ali, The Young and the Restless
PERFORMANCE IN A CHILDREN’S PROGRAM | Loretta Devine, Doc McStuffins

TALK SHOW | The View (ABC)
NEWS/INFORMATION PROGRAM | Unsung (TV One)
REALITY SERIES | Welcome to Sweetie Pie’s (OWN)
VARIETY SERIES OR SPECIAL | Black Girls Rock (BET)
CHILDREN’S PROGRAM | Kasha and the Zulu King (BET)

1. Rhythm Nation says:

If you get 5 minutes screen time in a 2 hour movie, they will nominate and then award you. Same for a TV show. At this point the only requirement is to be black.

2. TV Gord says:

They kept saying Kerry Washington is the first black leading actress in a network TV series in 40 years. I wonder how Regina Taylor (I’ll Fly Away, The Unit) feels about that.

How amazing to see Sidney Poitier present the Hall of Fame Award to Harry Belafonte. It’s a shame nobody watches these awards (apparently).

• lll says:

Or Taraji P. Henson (Person of Interest). She may not be the star, but she is the leading actress on the show.

• Androme says:

They meant lead as in top billing, dumbass.

• TV Gord says:

Then, why did Regina Taylor win two NAACP Awards in the same category in the past, genius? She also has two Emmy nominations as Lead Actress. You should know what you’re talking about before you post. Who’s the dumbass?

3. Sarah says:

I love Kerry but I thought Sandra oh should have won

4. Danielle says:

I’m surprisec Loretta Devine won with Doc McStuffins in the children’s programming category and not the girl, Kiara Muhammad, who voices the actual main AA character.

5. George says:

I can’t believe for the second year in a row Tatyana Ali won the daytime actress award. I’m not saying she isn’t a good actress, but you certainly wouldn’t know it from watching Y&R. She pretty much appears MAYBE 10 times a year as a seat-filler for big events, which doesn’t require her to do a whole lot.

• Mick says:

I find it weird too, especially when she doesn’t even touch the edge of some of the brilliant actresses of color currently dominating daytime.

• Rhythm Nation says:

Aaaaand that’s my point.

• mo says:

^THIS! It irritated me because I wasn’t even aware she actually was still ON Y&R. Just because someone doesn’t agree with everything that happens at the award show doesn’t make them racist.

6. Britta Unfiltered says:

I find it very interesting Kerry Washington won for Django Unchained as that is basically a ’70s exploitation film set in the Old West. And I freaking love the film, but I can accept that Tarantino was trying to make an exploitation film. I guess…I don’t know. As a white person, I feel really uncomfortable commenting on this article, like who I am to tell the NAACP who they should have picked as their winners and why. I’m sure they had good reasons.
    But I am a little sad that Treme didn’t win anything. I’ve always thought that show had very realistic characters that were portrayed in a true and positive light. How could anyone not love the Treme characters? LaDonna is a truly strong woman who can overcome anything that happens to her. Delmond is a talented musician and a good son who’s bent over backwards to help his dad. Albert is wise and has his head on straight in life, and is now working so hard to beat lung cancer. Antoine, now he is a bit of a scamp, but he cares so much for people, particularly the kids he’s been teaching music too. He’d even give one of his students his last 50 dollars so that she could get her heat turned back on at her house and not freeze at night. Those are good characters. Treme should have won best drama, or at least had one or two acting wins. That show is bursting with African American actors and actresses who portray their characters is a realistic and positive light, and they get main roles on the show too. Why wouldn’t the NAACP go for that?

• TV Gord says:

I think I love you for writing this. I’m not a football fan, but I LOVE New Orleans, so I’m having a Treme marathon today (sprinkling in some old VHS episodes of Frank’s Place I have)!

Treme is sorely undervalued by everyone, and it’s doomed to be one of those shows that won’t be properly appreciated until after it’s gone (such as The Wire, Fringe, Community and too many others to list). It’s a damn shame.