Spartacus Star Liam McIntyre Talks Codpieces, Full-Frontal Nudity and a 'Devastating' Finale

spartyblogSpartacus: War of the Damned leading man Liam McIntyre says Starz spared no expense with regard to the show’s impending series finale. “There are 500 special effect shots on average for each individual episode,” explains the actor. “There are over 900 special effects in the final episode, which basically means there’s a special effect every four seconds. That tells you how epic it is.”

But first things first: The second of 10 episodes airs tonight (9/8c) and marks the arrival of two key players — new rival Caesar and possible love interest Laeta. During a chat this week in New York, McIntyre previewed their arrivals, weighed in on his new uniform (or lack thereof) and hinted at a situation that causes his character “to break out the sexual chemistry card” — but from where? (Spartacus’ get-up is many things, but “riddled with pockets” sure isn’t one of ‘em). In fact, that’s where our conversation started:

RELATED | TVLine Items: Starz Eyeing Spartacus Spin-Off and More!

TVLINE | Your new “uniform” has a sizeable…
… Codpiece?

TVLINE | Yes. That. How did you feel about that?
The biggest part of last season was realizing that G-strings were no longer weird. [Laughs] Codpiece? That’s fine.

TVLINE | My readers — and I do mean my readers — would like to know if Spartacus is going to go full-frontal this season.
For me? No. Sorry. From others? Yes. Frequently. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Did you add a no-nudity clause to your contract?
No. But nobody had the guts to ask, so who was I to argue? [Laughs]

TVLINE | How do this season’s villains measure up to previous Spartacus villains?
Last season, I had the horribly difficult task of measuring up to the legendary [Andy Whitfield]. And this year I sat there thinking, “God, these [new] guys have a really rough gig.” Spartacus is almost more famous for its bad guys than its good guys. But they’re entirely separate [characters] and entirely their own, which is quite a testament to their performances. I think Crassus [played by Simon Merrells] is unlike any other villain. He thinks like Spartacus. They’re like different sides of the same coin. I think Simon’s performance is the standout of the series so far. Then Todd [Lasance] comes along [in Episode 2] playing Cesar. You’ve never seen a Cesar like that. You’ve never seen Cesar in that era, kind of being a sexy, roguish devil. I see him as like a young Brad Pitt. He’s electrifying.

TVLINE | Do we have to wait until the end of the season for the Spartacus-Crassus or Spartacus-Caesar confrontation?
No, there are moments throughout. There are a few different times throughout [the season] where they do intermingle; it gets quite interesting.

TVLINE | What about Crassus’ son, Tiberius?
He’s cool. Great actor. He’s got a cool journey.

RELATED | Starz’s Boss Cancelled, Wrap-Up Movie a Possibility

spartyTVLINE | I sense romance ahead for Spartacus and his redheaded prisoner, Laeta [who also arrives in Episode 2].
One thing I learned from watching Andy’s version of Spartacus was that he was a bit of a player back in day. At the stage where he meets Laeta he needs some pretty big favors, so he decides to break out the sexual chemistry card. There are some moments [between them].

TVLINE | Were you at all disappointed that a Spartacus and Illythia romance wasn’t explored further? She was carrying his child, after all.
I want the last frame of the last episode, after the credits roll, to be their child’s hand coming over the cliff. That would be the spin-off: Caesar vs. The Spartacus Baby. [Laughs] Back in the early days of Spartacus, I was one of the people who was like, “Come on, Spartacus and Illythia — that so works.” It’s so wrong but it’s so right. But it wasn’t meant to be.

TVLINE | What else can you tell me about the finale?
It’s everything I hoped it would be. I’ve seen a rough [cut]. It’s heartbreakingly, devastatingly strong. And I’m almost happy with my performance for a change, which is nice. [Laughs] Everyone brings their A-game. I was exhausted at the end. Just totally worn. I was even bringing [the emotions] home with me after work. I would just cry for no reason. Just totally, crazy, heavy stuff. Technically, [the episode] was twice as big as anything we’d ever done. It’s a good way to go [out]. It’s a very high standard for ending a series. And you [rarely] get to do that on television. I’m very proud.

TVLINE | What’s next for you?
Find a house in Los Angeles.

TVLINE | Will you go out for pilot season?
Totally. I’ve got a bunch of opportunities I would have never had three years ago.

1. jayy008 says:

He hasn’t even showed his butt on screen… One step at a time, Michael.

2. CK says:

I would like to see him in something from the sci-fi genre again. It would give him a chance to go to Comic Con again, and he is so in his element there.

3. Aleksa says:

I think he’s done a great job. Taking over a character from a much-loved actor had to seriously be a thankless job.

4. Ladyvader says:

OMG!!!!! Loved the Spartacus/Ilithyia’s question. Liam was a shipper, he is right: It was so wrong but it was so right. They will be forever my beloved hot dommed ship.

5. rachelle says:

I try not to pay too much attention to the show cause I know how it ends. Still very depressing to hear Liam talk about it, though.

• Rusty says:

You never know. According to history, his body was never identified. It could be that Mr. DeNight might not show his death and the very end after the credits, show him getting on ship leaving Italy. That would be cool. The series doesn’t follow a lot of the written history from that time. Lots of differences.

• CXIII says:

That’s true; however, when it comes to killing off key people, the show is keeping to actual events very closely. For instance, historically, Oenomaus was the first to die around 73 BCE; the other three followed a year or two later. I don’t think, in this case, that Mr. DeNight will stray from history, although he may have Crixis survive Gellius and die with Spartacus and Gannicus at the hands of Marcus Crassus. However it plays out, it will be interesting. And sad.

6. Michael G. says:

Spoiler Alert: Spartacus Dies!

7. Frellin'Farscaper says:

Its the last season … I’m sure everyone will die horribly. I think I will have to curl up and cry after. Will miss this show :(

8. Patrick *G3LSY* says:

Liam has done an AMAZIN job Capturing Andy’s essence, im sure he is lookin down and smiling ;-)
    I see BIG things for Liam after his Fantasic role portraying Spartacus!!! He deserves it…..
    Keep up the GREAT WORK and you will go far

9. carleda cho says:

What will I do without Spartacus. Liam surely has peaked my interest in all military history. I would have loved to have studied history under him (smile). Velvet

10. Valdet Selimaj says:

Reblogged this on Valdet Selimaj.

11. Allie says:

What are people talking about, don’t get that in your head. Liam you was great from day one!!! Andy dying is nothing no one could do anything about! This isn’t James Bond or Batman and so on that change and change and we can choose who we prefer best, there is no best and no one better than you Liam!!! Thank you for an AMAZING performance! *Bow* :-)

12. Schney says:

I absolutely love Liam, at first I was stuck on Andy & didn’t believe Liam could pull it off but he proved me very wrong. I need spartacus in my life, im sad the series is coming to its final end. Plz find something else for Liam to play a worrier in because got it!

13. Angela says:

I think Liam would make a great James Bond! I will miss the series :(

14. Jen says:

Liam has really prooven himself and under the watchful eye of us who loved Andy. The pressure must have been extreme. I will admit that throughout I often thought Of about how Andy would have done that scene. There were some scenes that sadened me because it would have been incredible watching Andy to, for example taking Glabers life or when Crixus told Spartacus that they are brothers in this life. It should have been Andy. But Liam did the show, the character and the fans justice. He became Spartacus in my heart too. I will miss the show and all its shocking beautiful scenes. I’m about to watch the last episode of the series and I think I’m going to need a drink for this one. Wish it wasn’t the end. :(. But grateful for having seen the show.

15. j fynes says:

Gratitude Liam, Spartacus is the best programme ive watched on t.v. in a long time.
    Absolutley brilliant. Will miss it badly