Pilot Scoop: CBS Orders Homeland EP's Adaptation of UK's Second Sight Drama

Get More: Pilots

Second Sight on BBC OneCBS is about to give Second Sight a good look: The Eye Network has ordered an American adaptation of the British crime drama.

Sight‘s protagonist is a detective who is suddenly afflicted with an autoimmune virus that causes him to hallucinate about subjects in his subconscious. He soon learns that catching killers depends as much on insight as eyesight.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers, and Who’s in Them

Clive Owen (Sin City) played the lead in the British version (pictured), which aired on BBC One from 2000-2001.

CSI executive producer Carol Mendelsohn will executive-produce the gothic psychological thriller’s pilot with Michael Cuesta (Homeland, Dexter), who will also direct it from a script he co-wrote with his brother Gerald Cuesta. Paula Milne — who created the British version — Nick Reed, Phil Goldfine and Julie Weitz also will exec-produce the potential series.

Tags: ,

Comments (16)

• Reblogged this on Neon Disease and commented:
    Looks like old UK TV is shaping up to be the new mine of inspiration for American networks (see also The Tomorrow People on The CW). If this does go into production I can see it getting billed with Elementary, not a bad combo!

Comment by amycorvus – February 1, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love me some Clive Owen but even he couldn’t pull this show off. (you’ll notice it only ran for one year). I saw a couple of episodes and it just wasn’t that good. Face it, if the Brits couldn’t make it work there is no way american TV can.

Comment by AJ – February 1, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t disagree with you more. I thought it was one of the best mysteries I have seen. It worked fine, though the premise limited its longevity.They made a two-part pilot in ’99 (shown on Mystery in ’99 and in the UK in January 2000, followed by three two-part episodes a year later. IMDB refers to them as four TV movies. I put it up there with Prime Suspect and Cracker. It just couldn’t really go on for any longer as DCI Tanner’s eyesight continued to decline. Still, to remake this as a weekly series that could run for a number of years and dozens of episodes, they are are going to have to change part of the basic premise by ditching or limited the eyesight element while retaining the subconscious hallucinations.

Comment by Marc – February 1, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. The fact that he hid his vision problems was the major issue of the show. He was so good as a detective he fooled everyone to a certain point.

Comment by Sonia – February 2, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm his character is hallucinating – isn’t this a similar storyline to Perception with Eric McCormick?

Comment by TVDIVA – February 1, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what i was thinking too
      only difference is this guy is an actual cop

Comment by Michael Lee Kirk – February 1, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I knew it sounded familiar but I only watched the 1st episode of perception

Comment by leahbh – February 1, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I saw Clive Owen in the picture I thought he was appearing on a new show. Oh well. Does remind me I still need to watch his Hemingway movie on HBO.

Comment by Penny – February 1, 2013 06:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t that ‘Raines’ with Jeff Goldblum on NBC years ago??

Comment by Bob Jones – February 1, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CBS will make this boring somehow.

Comment by Midori – February 1, 2013 08:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s cool, Michael Cuesta, just don’t let it take time away from working on Homeland. :)

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – February 1, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohh I love Claire Skinner! They should cast her in the US version ..

Comment by Hilla Osovsky – February 2, 2013 02:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He isn’t hallucinating. His disease damages his optic nerve which makes him unable to trust his own sight. Lord, they can’t even get the description right! The problem with taking the UK version of anything and making it American is that the British version assumes the viewer can follow a plot, understand the emotions involved and is mature enough to allow the story to play out. American TV producers assume none of that. They hired the same bland actors to read the same lines over and over again. I’ll take a look but if a blond with big boobs in a tank top is hired to play his partner, I’ll scream *ugh*

Comment by Sonia – February 2, 2013 05:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol! *like*

Comment by Jen – February 2, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched this years ago and loved it. When I read the description I thought the same thing. I don’t remember anything about hallucinating.

Comment by Rose – February 2, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • American audiences don’t want to watch anything new or original so why should TV execs go to all the bother of coming up with something that hasn’t already been done before? Its kind of getting to the stage where there’s nothing new left anyway.

Comment by Scott – February 2, 2013 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post