Hot Glee Video: New Directions Covers 'Diva'

Eager to see Glee‘s Blaine Anderson in something other than bow ties and preppy garb? Impatient for Tina Cohen-Chang to start putting her money where her sassy mouth is? Ready for Marley Rose drop the wide-eyed ingenue act and get real? Well, have we got a video for you!

RELATED | Glee Recap: Poking the Bare

In this clip from next Thursday’s episode (9/8c, Fox), the ladies and gays of New Directions channel their inner Beyoncés and cover her 2009 hit “Diva.”

PHOTOS | Glee Sneak Peek: Look Who’s Back for Will and Emma’s Wedding Day

What exactly that has to do with Emma Pillsbury reducing a Cheesecake Factory manager to tears (or uttering the phrase “trick-ass ho”), well, you’ll just have to press play below to find out.

1. Sam says:

This is awful. The song is awful, Tina’s transphobia is awful, Darren’s attempt at acting like a stereotype of a gay man is awful. Burn it down.

2. jay says:

this is 100 kinds of awful and offensive, and don’t even get me started on Blaine.

3. Alex says:

Darren has no idea how to play a gay man without going over the top with gestures and mannerisms. it’s disgusting.

• dan says:

did you watch the video or….?

• Brendon says:

Did you?

• Alex says:

yes, he can be a diva without being a caricature of a gay man. also, this is something darren has been doing for ages now, it’s not like his ott flamboyant portrayal of a gay man is something new.

• ana says:

I think that in this video he is being a caricature of a gay man. He should be more subtle,

• Will says:

Yes, they’re walking down the runway in a dream sequence covered in sequins and feathers. Clearly subtlety is what this scene calls for!

• Vetle says:

I get your point, but people can’t blame Darren C. all the time. Actors do get directions, guidance, pointers. If that’s not what Ryan Murphy is looking for, I’m sure he will tell him. I don’t know how much time they use when they shoot the episodes, but yeah. Glee is over the top in general. The way I see it, they are kinda playing a super over the top version of their characters. Darren did that Whitney song “It’s Not Right But It’s Ok” (or something), and that was slightly diva-ish, so he definitely has that side of his character. He is not the best actor by a long shot, he is kinda limited, and I’m not the biggest fan of his character. I buy most of the acting choices in Glee, but I watch Glee kinda uncritically so I guess that’s it.

tl;dr: some people take this show a little too seriously. :P

• cinematt01 says:

He is playing a very specific type of gay character for this performance. The topic is DIVA. He’s playing a combination of Adam Lambert & Freddie Mercury – both of whom are VERY over the top in their performance. It’s sad that this has to be spelled out for you. It’s fairly obvious. You just use any opportunity to trash Darren that you get. At least know what you’re talking about before you go on the attack.

4. Meghan says:

I particularly enjoyed seeing Blaine Anderson without an entire bottle of gel in his hair!

5. So disappointed; I thought the headline was referring to Dana International’s Eurovision-winning song.

6. sammy says:

1) Blaine //Andrerson//??????????????????
    2) BLAINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3
    3) finally something funny on glee…

7. Brendon says:

So did Darren Criss watch “La Cage Aux Folles” and think that it was a great way to “act” gay? I normally try to be lenient on the guy because he’s obviously a really weak actor, but this is starting to get offensive to me as a gay man. It’s like he’s parroting the most stereotypical of gestures and calling it a day.

• Butters says:

I don’t think it is the actor’s fault. It is the direction and story telling that is leading the way to making him a stereo-type. Just like they have made Kurt. And don’t get me started on drag queen. I am not on of those folks that think they should bring back Kraslowski (sp). But if they did at least they could have shown a variety of gay men and not the stereo-types.

8. Lorena says:

I enjoyed it and thought everyone looked gorgeous.

9. andrea says:

omg Tina went too far with that, this transphobia is appalling. I’m also furious blaine is in a song that says “a diva is a female version of a hustler” there is no place for him.

and, the song sounds awful. they need to send some “I’m sorry” flowers to beyonce for ruining her song.

10. Zenon says:

This is what happens when weak performers who play secondary characters come out to the forefront. With the exception of Alex Newell’s voice, the performers involved in this number are all a bunch of untalented hacks that can’t elevate the already terrible writing.

11. Sammi says:

I’m sorry but can this show go back to when Lea Michele was it’s obvious star? Season 1 was the best when the show focused on Rachel, Mr Schu, Finn, Sue and Kurt. These are TRIPLE Threats people. The secondary characters that they have made the “stars” now are terrible.. Heather Morris should not be allowed to sing. That dread kid should not be allowed to act. The Jake kid sounds like Kermit the frog.

• dan says:

Not to argue with you, because you’re hilarious, but the show needs to evolve and introduce new characters, your they’ll have to pull it. I agree, though, they aren’t finding the right newbies.

• sara says:

soooo true. season 1 was awesome BECAUSE of Rachel, Finn, Shue and Sue. While i have no problem bringing in new characters, they treat Blaine and Brittany as the new leads, with the beige Jarley as the young pretenders and none has the ability to carry the show. The number of songs and amount of screentime for them is out of control and exposing. The clip they chose for Glee at the SAG’s had me cringeing that they thought it could be held up to the other shows. Honestly, I just watch to get my Finn and Rachel fix as they have ruined Shue and Kurt beyond tolerance now.

• SantanaNYBound says:

1. Unique and Marley nauseate me. What gives Marley the right to be so aggressive and accusatory toward Tina? Marley is meek and whiney with nothing but dull oozing out of her. These 2 characters are the weakest links to McKinley IMO. That and Finn’s lame story. I like Ryder, Jake and Kitty for now. They’ve grown on me.
        2. Why is Brittany in this as a diva? This could have been done like season 1 Bad Romance performance. So fun, entertaining, well done by all.
        3. Blaine should be there dressed as whatever he wants.
        4. Why has Marley, Jake, Brittany sung more than Rachel?
        5. Agree, the writers have ruined Will, Emma, Sue, Quinn and now Finn.
        6. Naked episode was good because Santana and Quinn were in it, but so little, alot of NY scenes were cut alot. I would rather hear them sing than “gag me Marley or Unique”. Glee is really pressing the new cast hard for the future of Glee. Not a fan in the least. Some people are. I accept Jake, Ryder and Kitty willingly. They are interesting and enjoyable characters to watch.
        7. Season 4 has been very serious and dramatic for a comedy to have in their stories to tell. Very similar to season 2 but with a whole lot less of humor.
        8. The music has catered to the younger generation of viewers which leaves me unimpressed. I miss Will singing, Matt is a talented and experienced performer. Has hands down talent over some of the new crop of characters this season. But he has been almost written off the show. I guess some young fans are glad about that.
        9. Where are the Rachel solos when she sings at NYADA?
        10. This Diva performance is ok I guess. Have to see how it goes in the narrative, which I don’t pay attention to anymore.

12. Kitty says:

Um…uh…okay.

Blaine looks like a figure skater, not a diva.

That arrangement was crap. I think it would have been better if they had stuck to the original tempo instead of speeding it up and making it sound like a cheap karaoke track of a Quad City DJ’s song.

13. omar says:

I really like the new Tina :D she’s funny! and the video is really good… Darren’s attempt at acting like a stereotype of a gay man is awful.

14. Ana says:

Still cannot stand Unique/Wade. He was horrible on the Glee Project, a true diva full of himself and that translates very accurately on screen. Thank goodness I don’t watch live. I can always fast forward during all his scenes. Can’t we just focus on the NY storyline? This week’s episode was really good, I hope next week’s is not a step back. The Ohio part of the story is becoming ridiculous.

• Marabeth says:

I just wish Wade/Unique, Joe Hart, and Brody would go away. I miss the originals so much. Spin them off to NY and I will be happy. I saw The Glee Project 1 and Alex Newell was so nasty to the other contestants and then would turn around and cry for Ryan Murphy and kiss his ass. Unique, Joe, and Brody couldn’t act their way out of a paper bag.

• Liz says:

Agree with exception of the original glee cast left on Ohio DVR is a wonderful thing I use to watch the show over and over. Not anymore😞

15. yeah says:

well it would be nice seeing some straight guys in the diva number. because turns out they *say* everyone has inner diva/inner beyonce but what they *show* – nope, as ever, strictly girls and queens.
    and the number was a mess. alex’s voice though is awesome

• Joe. says:

It’s ONE number in an episode of several – wait till you actually see the episode then grab the pitch forks and torches. Sheesh.

16. Joe. says:

Okay, can we just take a second and remember back in season two when Blaine first arrived on the scene and compare it to now? It’s not really Darren upping the gay factor (or perhaps it is, perhaps not – but the writing team writing things like that don’t help). No, Darren Criss isn’t the next Bobby DeNiro or Robert Redford, but he’s entertaining, charming, and while not the strongest vocalist or actor, he is enjoyable. I’m a fan with a realistic eye to the man’s faults, but I don’t think it’s entire fair to blame him when in some part it has to be the writing team upping it.

To the person who mentioned missing Rachel and Lea – I couldn’t disagree more. I’m so glad we’re seeing less of her, because for the first three seasons of this show it’s all we got and I like how it’s been diverse this season with being able to showcase not just the overblown talents of Rachel Berry and Lea Michele. That being said, Tina’s plot line and attitude is down right awful and it’s about damn time someone put that little brat in her place, because she deserves it.

17. Joe. says:

Last thing – to the person who said Blaine looks like a figure skater – I cackled. Thank you.

18. P says:

See the thing that bothers me the most about the posts on here are that they are attacking Darren for how he portrays a gay character. This assumes that there is a right or wrong way to portray a gay person, implying there is a right or wrong way to act as a gay person. There are many people (gay and straight) that act in a similar way that Darren portrays Blaine. Does this mean that those people are wrong? Are they offending gay men everywhere by perpetuating the stereotype? No. They aren’t. He chose one particular characterization and is acting that out. You can’t say that his portrayal is offensive unless you believe that the people who are like that in real life are also offensive. Now I’m not a big fan of Darren, in fact I often find Blaine’s character annoying, but it’s not because he’s acting “too gay”. If Blaine wants to be a diva and strut flamboyantly down the runway, then good for him. He’s a character. He’s not real.

• Joe. says:

Exactly! I completely agree with you there, sir or lady.

• Wouter says:

I was about to type a comment just like this, but i’m happy to see i’m not the only one who thinks like this :)

• Boris says:

Let me guess: you’re a straight girl who seems to forget that gay men are commonly used as caricatures in the media, something that’s highly problematic (especially when being played by a heterosexual actor)? Shut up.

• P says:

I’m actually not, but thanks for that lovely input and telling me to shut up. I’m WELL aware of how gay men are characterized in the media. Your maturity is much appreciated.

• kd8604 says:

preach!

if he were to act any different, then people would be complaining that he’s not “gay enough.” srsly, i don’t think darren ever wins with a lot of people. he’s charming, talented, sweet on the eye. besides, the whole point of this video was bring out the dinner diva. the girls are being over the top just as much as blaine is. i wish people would stop attacking him for how he portrays gay.

• Ella says:

Really what I care about is lack of character consistency. Back when Blaine was lead singer of the Warblers, he seemed like a charming, confidant leader, with understandable teen insecurities. Now this season, starting with the Call Me Maybe sing-off in the first episode, they’ve randomly changed his characterization in being a “diva,” so Darren has to change his acting with the character.

19. Ellen says:

Gee… it’s a TV show… it’s entertainment… it doesn’t have to be real… it can be over the top… I have several gay male friends that unless your gaydar was in high gear you’d never know… not all gay men are flamboyant or uber Diva… and I have not seen the whole show (and neither have any of you) so what context is it being presented in??? Give it up for TV!

• Vetle says:

This! I’m gay, my friend told me that no one would’ve guessed when I came out, and I’m the same as I was before. ANYWAYS, people stereotype too easily, even the LGBT community. Glee is just a TV show. It’s over the top. And especially this number looks over the top.

20. A says:

The Tina/Blaine storyline is still annoying to me but I am really glad we are seeing more of her on the show in recent episodes.

21. Kaycee says:

They just need to get rid of the Blaine completely. The character is awful, he serves no purpose now that he’s not Kurt’s boyfriend.
    Darren Criss is a bad actor, his voice is great but definitely not the best male voice.

Alex Newell has an amazing voice. Becca Tobin too, she should sing more.

22. AJW says:

What did darren criss do to deserve so much negativity?? Last I checked he neither directed himself in this or choreographed it. He’s popular. Clearly his openly gay boss loved him. If you don’t, don’t watch the show. There are multiple very popular characters that aren’t my favs. But I accept that other people enjoy them. Constructive criticism is one thing. But there is a lot of hatred here for no reason. Sorry these comments really upset me.

• A says:

Agreed, All the haters of Glee only prove one thing! They are in fact in love with the show but secretly hate on it to feel apart of the group of haters. Its the only explanation I can come up with for people who constantly comment and bash a show week after week, character after character, AND STILL CONTINUE TO WATCH A WEEK LATER. I don’t understand it. How can you continue to bash and hate on a show and yet still continue to watch it? Honestly, I’d love to tell all the people who hate it to stop watching it but they help contribute to whatever ratings the show gets (I know they’ve declined) and therefore the longevity of the show so I guess that’s the only upside to their constant negativity and hate.

• Bobby says:

And you’re allowed to comment negatively about the characters you don’t like. Why would people ever be obligated to keep quiet about their opinions, especially if it’s about something offensive and problematic? Give me a break.

• A says:

The video was offensive and problematic? Get over yourself. God some people just nitpick and just watch praying to find something “offensive” to complain about. Seriously, its like nothing can be said without someone taking offense for no reason.
        I applaud the writers for not backing down and responding to every single complaint people have or worrying about what people will take offense to. The show would absolutely suck if they did that and try to please everyone.
        Glee has always pushed boundaries and has always been offensive and if you are just realizing this now then I have no idea what you have been watching.

• Bobby says:

Did you miss Tina’s transphobic remark or Darren’s caricature of an acting performace? Yeah, it was offensive, and it’s clear I’m not the only one thinking this. The show absolutely sucks as it is, the least they could do is be less insulting and phobic about things.

• A says:

Tina’s remark was instigated by Unique’s rant and his remark towards her. And second of all, the episode is called DIVA. The song is called DIVA. They were all acting over-the-top and “like DIVAS” and just because he’s male and gay and acting like a DIVA (during the song which was A DREAM SEQUENCE) you are taking offense at that. You need to get over yourself and actually look up the definition of DIVA and how they act. And in terms of “MALE DIVAS”, I think Darren’s performance was pretty accurate in the context of the song and episode. There are male DIVAs out in the world who act exactly like that. They were all over-the-top. I don’t see him acting that way in other episodes. Geez. And if other people are thinking your way its because they don’t how to interpret things in context and overreact.
            And you think the show sucks but many people still love it. They shouldn’t have to back down and have it be a different show.
            And I find it really annoying how most of the offense and comments are always when the show makes passing jokes about LGBT. I don’t see anyone commenting and getting angry and taking offense when they make jokes about asians, jews, muslims, religion, fat people, and every insulting thing that comes out of Sue’s mouth, etc. So please do me a favour and get over yourself,

• Bobby says:

Your comment would have been more intelligent if you banged your hands against your keyboard repeatedly.

• A says:

The fact that you attempted to insult me clearly display the fact that you can’t come up with anything worthwhile or intelligent to reply back with. It just makes me laugh.

23. MyReligionIsWhovian says:

Some of you haters really need to get over yourselves. For the love of God.

24. ana says:

this performance remind me of Bad romance in season 1.

25. Bobby says:

Oh, I see Darren’s fangirls have come out to play. Lovely.

26. Dogster says:

I for one loved the number. I thought is was fun to watch and entertaining. The actors are clearly going for over the top in the number on purpose. And I don’t get all the hate for Blaine. You can’t even hear his voice and he just struts around.

27. Montavilla says:

I think it’s pretty random to suddenly have Blaine jump up and deck himself in feathers. But it’s a song called “Diva” and the concept is — I guess — claiming your inner bitch.

If you count every shot of Darren, there’s probably a grand total of 15 seconds of him. He doesn’t really have time to deliver a subtle, nuanced portrayal of a gay guy who is a diva, but in a completely acceptable, inoffensive way.

Although, Alex Newell manages to do that for a transexual character. Bonus points!

I find Marley’s transformation from insecure wallflower to runway stomping Diva just as unconvincing. But we are seeing this song out of context. Maybe there’s an earlier scene to explain why she’s speaking up.

28. Dean says:

Y’all talking all this bad stuff about this tv show and about the characters I love it but y’all watched the video though an can only have bad stuff to say OH

29. Avril Labean says:

I don’t get the reference. Why is “Angry Inch Wade/Unique” transphobic? I know it’s a musical (Hedwig, right?). Also, why can’t a character say something offensive? We’re hardly PC all the time, so we can’t expect fictional characters to be. I don’t think Tina’s apparent transphobia reflects badly on the show (the same with Kurt’s bout of slut-shaming). Also, I never noticed that about Darren acting. I’m going to start watching him more closely. It’s a shame. Though I still think one cannot discuss Darren’s acting without address the elephant in the room (Alex Newell)

30. jerm says:

I love Emma Pillsbury. :)

31. No more Blaine. says:

Darren Criss just fails once again. He is the weak link on that show and they need to ditch him. (The fans who came to Glee because of him aren’t interested in the show as a whole; they just want to see him; if he’s gone, the ones left will be the true fans who were there from season 1 and maybe it will go back to the way it was back then).

32. Trouty Mouth says:

The only thing that bothers me is that they’re singing a song about being a diva and Naya and Amber are nowhere to be found.

33. jerm says:

I don’t understand why people complain so much about his kind of stuff. Glee has done stuff like this since season one! You either like the show or you don’t! You don’t have to constantly nag on the actors! they can only do what the writers write for them to do… I think everyone’s great.

34. TVsChristina says:

In reference to some posts believing Tina was being transphobic: She was actually alluding to the musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Or at least I hope so.

35. Juan says:

Lo siento pero no hay como entenderlos algunos alegan que darren no demuestra mucho que es gay, cuando demuestra mucho lo atacan. Yo creo que deberían ponerse en el contexto de la canción y ver que algunos gays si se pueden comportar de esa manera.

36. JVC says:

Man can some people find anything to nitpick and slam the show with. I thought it was a pretty good performance, although i would’ve liked to hear blaine get a verse than just harmonize w/ unique. And people kurt did this w/ the girls in season 1 during bad romance so i really don’t get the big deal here? Also I know Tina’s been acting like a diva all season but she is somewhat justified for it, she’s been second string in terms of getting solos for competitions in the past 3 seasons. It’s even more annoying for being a senior and a senior member of new directions, she is still getting shoved aside for all these newbies. I do hope they drop her so called “romance” w/ blaine because that’s a path that will ultimately lead to no where. I do look forward to Kurt and Rachel’s diva-off, I still can’t believe Kurt didn’t get a say in Brody moving in w/ them.

• Kurt'sin NYADA says:

I don’t blameTina for being aggressive or fighting for and kind of leads in songs. Rachel did and most of the time won them. Tina always sat back and took what was given to her. Now, a seniot with Rachel’s blessings, she is going for broke to be noticed and recognized. Marley has gotten most of the female lead or solos so far. Not deserving of them IMO. I do agree with Tina that Marley is NO Rachel. As for the diva costume for Blaine, it is fine; people need to look at what Kurt wore in Bad Romance of season 1. Rachel so far this season has had only drama with Cassie July over dance, never really had to work for recognition at NYADA. Maybe, this, with Kurt(reminiscent of season 1 Defying Gravidy diva-off) will make Rachel and Kurt work hard to vie for achievements in vocal music. I, too, can’t believe Kurt didn’t confront Rachel about inviting Brody as a third roomate without consulting him. I am one who doesn’t care for Unique’s character so when he is given solos or shares some parts of a song just doesn’t sit well with me. I don’t care to watch him sashay around with his hands in the air all the time. Jake and Brittany are the dancers of Glee, then, IMO, let them be in the forefront. Not put Unique in the middle where the others go around him.