Scary-Good Scoop: Lily Rabe Confirmed For American Horror Story Season 3

American Horror Story Season 3 Cast Lily RabeAmerican Horror Story‘s third season will not be lacking in girl power.

Series cocreator Ryan Murphy announced on Twitter late Thursday that AHS staple Lily Rabe “is on board for American Horror Story Season 3,” adding, “So talented. Love her!”

RELATED | American Horror Story Scoop: Fresh Intel on Jessica Lange’s New Character

Rabe’s booking means that Murphy gets to hang on to what are arguably the franchise’s three strongest female assets, the other two being the already-confirmed Jessica Lange and Sarah Pauslon. Per tradition, all three will play brand new characters.

PHOTOS | 23 Shows We’d Remake or Revive Now!

Murphy recently confirmed that Season 3 (which will also feature AHS vet Evan Peters) will be “more historical in nature” and have a “different tone” than Season 2. It will also take place in modern day, but just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.”

1. Billy says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Everyone I wanted back is back…nowhey just need a really good concept for next season and I’ll be ecstatic…but between the actor’s signed up for next season so far they can read the phonebook to each other and it be good must see tv.

2. English says:

Yay!! She was fantastic this season!! Glad she will return. Although I’m not sure how they are going to top this season! It was amazingly twisted and dark! Loved it!!

3. B says:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
    Also has Taissa been confirmed or not? I’ve been hearing a lot of things and don’t remember reading that on TV Line.

4. Is it true that Taissa Farmiga (Violet from season one) will also be returning?

• Rrrrrr says:

I know there were some articles saying she was in talks and I think they confirmed her a little bit after the finale but I could be wrong.

5. Jon says:

YES!!! I hope she’s the lead AND that she gets the emmy nod she deserves! Lily was absolutely AMAZING this year – don’t remember the last time I saw someone have so much fun with a role.

6. Deion says:

GREAT. Lily Rabe was just awesome this season.

7. Joe says:

My favorite from season two! I would love to see Frances Conroy and Dennis O’Hare come back now and my whole dream list would be complete. and for those asking, it is all but confirmed that Taissa is back. Ryan said he had to tell her the plot details and everything (one of the only one’s) but she agreed to do it

8. Jade says:

AHS has one of the strongest ensemble casts on TV. Happy the strongest players in season 2 will be back for another round.

9. Kaycee says:

Now, I want Chloe Sevigny back, but as a main character and then all will be perfect!

• Shane says:

Chloe is notoriously difficult to work with – my brief experience with her confirmed this to be true. And with Ms. Lange seemingly wielding a lot of creative power, my guess is that Sevigny will not return.

• Kaycee says:

She’s an opinionated actress I respect her for that.
      The character of Shelley in AHS was a joke, this was a character that could’ve been a highlight, but they completely ruined it.

10. Rrrrrr says:

This is honestly the best thing ever. Say what you will about AHS and Ryan Murphey, but you can’t deny that this show has the best cast on TV.

11. MrsB says:

Yea! LOVE her! I really hope she’s sassy and wicked ala devil nun!

12. K says:

I would say four top female leads including Frances Conroy who has been phenomenal and should be back for season 3.

13. Lisa says:

They really need Frances Conroy back I agree. And as for Lily, I would like to see her playing a good guy thats no nonsense like Tara from True Blood. I feel like watching her play totally evil would be pretty much the same as this season

14. Louis says:

YES!!!! LOVE HER, JESSICA LANGE, SARA PAULSON AND EVAN PETERS.CAN’T WAIT FOR SEASON 3!!!!!! :-)

15. Snsetblaze says:

These guys (ladies) have one of the best jobs in tv for an actor. Since they change stories every year, everyone gets to play a different character, and thus should not become bored and decide they need to go off to become movie stars or find other roles.

I’m glad to see her back.

16. Jinjeon says:

Nice. Now please Winona Ryder for new blood and cast her and Paulson/Rabe as those lovers.

17. snarka says:

Add Frances Conroy to the cast!

18. A says:

So happy about this. I wish Connie Britton was available to return, As well as Denis O’Hare and Alexandra Breckenridge (always wanted to see more of her in the first season),

19. nightmare says:

crappy show

20. Rugby says:

Salem witches? Voodoo?

21. Rugby says:

Hey add me to the cast please, I am in love with this show and oh so badly want to be on it.

22. grace says:

Loved her character. Great show!!! Cqnt wait till season3.

23. Fernanda says:

Jessica, Lily, Sarah and Evan, the main cast of AHS, Don’t forget the amazing Frances Conroy. I want to see Evan like a villain again, I never forgot Tate but Kit was great too

24. neywyear says:

i want franka potente back!!!

25. catwoman says:

love this show & Asylum!!! hope Frances Conroy is back. she was awesome as dark angel!!!

26. Lisa Angel says:

See I am thinking the next season will be set in NOLA. It is definitely a possibility.

27. nina says:

Bring back Chloe’ too :)

28. Liz Coffey says:

Reblogged this on and commented:
    Sister Mary Eunice will be back for Season 3! Okay… I admit I’m an American Horror Story nerd. I’ve watched it from the beginning of season one and I’ve never missed an episode. I just hope they make the announcement that Dylan McDermott will be coming back too (a girl can dream, right?)

29. joand says:

Perhaps if I do this like Dorothy: Frances Conroy, Frances Conroy, Frances Conroy. Please. I am begging the tv gods…

30. Jillian says:

I love this series, I can’t wait to see what they dream up next!

31. addicted to this show just got season 1 and run home to watch it loooove it

32. Taura Marie says:

I absolutely love American Horror Story! It makes my Thursday nights exciting, because it comes on late on Wednesdays I have to DVR it. Cannot wait for the next season. It’s been a while since I’ve been this hooked on a show.

33. it should take place in a small midwestern town high school. Occasional singing staff….oh wait, never mind…..

34. Stephanie says:

I like acting Evan peters, mysticism gives their performances…
    would stop watching the show if it were not Evan … ERES EL MEJOR!

35. Christen says:

We LOVED Lizzie Brochere` (Grace) too!! Would love to see her in Season 3!!

• ahslover says:

Yes Grace was wonderful I would love to see her again as well as it would be wonderful if they could get someone like James Spader too. And bring back bloody face and Frances Conroy please. I still can’t believe the great mind behind Glee and The New Normal could dream this wonderful concept up. Best show on t.v.

36. He needs to bring back Alexandra Breckenridge stat.

37. BeatNickGirl says:

PRAISE GOD AND HIS MIRACLES!!!!! SEASON 3 BABYYy!!!!!

38. Stan Kansas says:

I honestly do not get the praise that season 2 is getting…..Season 1 was next to brilliant. Trying to figure out who was alive and who was a ghost, plus some truly terrifying scenes and imagery. Season 2 was a hot mess! It was all over the map. Yes, the acting was terrific, but you also need a coherent story. Some examples where I felt cheated: Satan comes and the worst thing he can do is install a juke box at Briarcliff? Shelly? Just when it looked like the ultimate nightmare come to life, she is strangled by a rosary? No one ever finding out what happened to Dr. Arden? The aliens? Alma (was that her name?) hatcheting the hatchet murderess to death came out of nowhere! Bloody Face’s demise…we should have seen his face. We should have seen his expression when he realized his end was near. We DID get that with his son. Frankly, I felt this season was like The Emperor and his New Clothes, though I adored the Dark Angel. I would have had the monsignor lift up his shirt on the way to the Vatican to reveal a baby bump. Now THAT would have been awesome!!!

• Red says:

I agree with Stan. I heard Season 3 might be related to Salem Witch trials???

• Linda says:

No matter what it will be about I’m sure it will be great, like the others. Watched them more than once!!!! Any idea when the 3rd season will begin?

• Eric Estes says:

As much as l love this show, I agree with a lot of the things Stan had to say. As superb as the acting, direction and cinematography are, the plot was a little schizophrenic. They needed a solid 4 additional episodes for all the plot lines to come to fruition and develop to some sort of logical denouement. Not much closure and too many anti-climactic resolutions.

• Fallyn says:

Well said! I adored season 1 and I still watched all of season 2 but we didn’t get any closure and there wasn’t really any mystery just loose ends. I hope they get away from some of the stereotypical horro story stuff they fell into this season and find some of that creativity from season 1.

• Stan Kansas says:

Thanks, Y’all! I’m glad it wasn’t just me. Seriously, I am a huge fan, but season 2 had me scratching my head. They blew it with Shelly. The scariest scene, for me, was watching Shelly climb the stairs at the playground. Man, that was good…but then they killed her off. The Satan storyline, I felt, was building to something…something that just didn’t come. I wanted vengeance with Dr. Arden. I wanted his arms and legs amputated. I wanted him to become the creature he was trying to create. And I feel pretty strongly that they just didn’t know what to do with Alma and Grace. I WAS very satisfied with how Jude’s story played out. I also loved the look of season 2, yet none of this came close to the atmosphere created with Season 1.

• Grant Reichelt says:

Okay, so I feel like season 2 is getting some undeserved complaints here. Satan had several things going on for him at Briarcliff besides the jukebox. One of his concerns that led him there was the genetic experiments being preformed by Dr. Arden. It was implied that he put a lot of stock in the deformed creatures Dr. Arden was creating. However, he lost that goal when Dr. Arden murdered all of his test subjects. Another scheme of Satan’s concerns the monsignor, he wanted to corrupt the church by having this sinful man eventually become pope, which he near did. His plan was merely indirectly foiled by Lana, who helped to cause the monsignor to decide to kill himself. So Satan was intending to do some major evil, it just so turns out that he failed. Shelly wasn’t really that important of a character, the only real role she plays is being the visualization of the horror that was committed at Briarcliff under the monsignor’s graces. What is she going to do? Drag her body slowly across the room? Dr. Arden burned himself alive with the body of Sister Mary Unis in the crematorium. Concerning the aliens, I believe that the entire point of their presence in the chapter is to begin the rapid modernization of the world. The two babies that were abducted by their mothers became bright people who are implied to have influenced the world greatly. (medicine, etc) The implication is that the rapid technological advances that we have perceived within the past few years was due to alien interference. (like something you might see on twilight zone) Alma kills Grace probably because she believes that she is a bad influence on her child, and didn’t want to continue sharing Kit and her entire family with her. It’s ironic that she kills her with an ax, because the fact that Grace used to be an ax murderess is one of the main reasons that Alma hates her presence in her home. So yeah, that’s the explanation for the loose ends that might be perceived by you or others.

• truegemini1 says:

Very well said. I absolutely loved Season 1 & while I enjoyed seeing the actors get to play different roles in the second season, the plot was all over the place, it wasn’t cohesive & it didn’t really leave me fulfilled. Hoping Season 3 fixes some of those mistakes.

39. B says:

nice..i wish i could get a “warm wet hug” from her!!!!!

40. k4thl33n says:

As long as Jessica Lange is back, I’ll be back to watch! The rest is gravy.

41. Suzanne says:

I am seriously addicted to this show; have not missed 1 episode. My husband bought me season 1 on DVD the day it was available. Just praying Dylan comes back!

42. Love this show!!! Although this years cast was perfect in every way, I still love to see new cast members brought in. I.E. James Cromwell..Joeseph Fines..Chloe Sevigny etc. Even in “guest roles”. Maybe great talent we haven’t seen in awhile. Anne Wedgworth is one that come to mind. She was great with Jessica Lange in “Sweet Dreams”. Ms. Lang is the backbone of the show!!!!! She MUST return every season.

43. Ricky Garcia says:

and it wouldnt be the same without dylan mcdermott & zachary quinto too!!!

44. Misery says:

I need more Evan Peters!

45. Vicky says:

What happened to newlyweds Leo and Teresa?

46. Lisa p says:

I’d love to see more of Adam Levine and Jenna Dewan tatum. Joseph fiennes is awesome as well. Love everyone on past seasons. If its witchy we need some of the girls from The Craft movie. So excited. :-)

47. Mike says:

I really hope they bring Alex Breckenridge back for season 3. She was so sexy in the first season, and I’m sure she could pull it off again in season 3! Hopefully season 3 will be better than 2, not that I didn’t like it, it was just too random and too much back and forth. Definitely wasn’t as good as season 1.

48. ando says:

lets just bring every character from season 1 for season 3 :)

49. Nick says:

How about Frances Conroy ? I hope she gets back to.

50. greronchetti says:

Yes!!! Now they just need Zach Quinto and Dylan McDermott and its perfect!! I am so beyond exited for next season!!!