Scary-Good Scoop: Lily Rabe Confirmed For American Horror Story Season 3

Get More: Casting News

American Horror Story Season 3 Cast Lily RabeAmerican Horror Story‘s third season will not be lacking in girl power.

Series cocreator Ryan Murphy announced on Twitter late Thursday that AHS staple Lily Rabe “is on board for American Horror Story Season 3,” adding, “So talented. Love her!”

RELATED | American Horror Story Scoop: Fresh Intel on Jessica Lange’s New Character

Rabe’s booking means that Murphy gets to hang on to what are arguably the franchise’s three strongest female assets, the other two being the already-confirmed Jessica Lange and Sarah Pauslon. Per tradition, all three will play brand new characters.

PHOTOS | 23 Shows We’d Remake or Revive Now!

Murphy recently confirmed that Season 3 (which will also feature AHS vet Evan Peters) will be “more historical in nature” and have a “different tone” than Season 2. It will also take place in modern day, but just like past seasons, we will see different “time periods” and “there [will] also be different cities.”

Comments (139)

• YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Everyone I wanted back is back…nowhey just need a really good concept for next season and I’ll be ecstatic…but between the actor’s signed up for next season so far they can read the phonebook to each other and it be good must see tv.

Comment by Billy – February 1, 2013 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is soooooooooooooooo SWEET!!!!!!!! NOW JUST HAVING TO WAIT FOR IT TO COME BACK ON. It’s been a very long time that I have actually couldn’t wait for a TV program to come on. Thank You so much!!!!!!!

Comment by Karen – February 1, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha! Exactly. They could sit and a room and state at each other, and I would dvr is every week.

Comment by Sarah – February 1, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh man that was terrible.. I meant: They could sit in a room and stare at each other and I would dvr it every week. That’s better!

Comment by Sarah – February 1, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Whaaaat??? No Adam Levine??? Gaaaaaaah

Comment by sactownhero – February 1, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s suppose to b about the Salem witch trials if I’m not mistaken,

Comment by Shay – February 1, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nothing has been announced.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – February 1, 2013 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • heres to hoping ur correct -one of my fav places is salem and some of my fav ppl as well- they know who they r!!

Comment by tricia – February 2, 2013 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!! She was fantastic this season!! Glad she will return. Although I’m not sure how they are going to top this season! It was amazingly twisted and dark! Loved it!!

Comment by English – February 1, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i know …However, I want Pepper back !!! She was GREAT !!

Comment by maria v – February 1, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bring. Back. Pepper!!

Comment by Anthony – February 1, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I got lost when I missed a couple of episodes, but did watch the last few. Kind of sucked where they ended it though, it was definitely twisted!

Comment by Amanda – February 2, 2013 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Try to watch the epidsodes you missed .
        I thought they rapped things up quite nicely.

Comment by stacy – February 5, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This season was terrible compared to the first. Just saying.

Comment by Jason – February 2, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think so but then again it’s kind of hard to compare seasons on a show like this because it’s a totally different show. I liked this season because there were people to actually root for and like. Not so much in the first season, in my opinion. At any rate I loved this season all the way through and glad to see all my favorites coming back for the next season.

Comment by Kristoffer – February 2, 2013 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lost me a little through 4, 5, and 6, (or so) but I thought it recovered nicely through the rest. The first was the first, hardly ever a comparison. The concept being what it is, some seasons will hit you better than others; here’s hoping you like season 15 really well!

Comment by Andy – February 3, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree. I believe this season was much more interesting.

Comment by Tracey Garland – February 10, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i strongly agree i think the first season was excellent

Comment by nicki – March 19, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sweeeeeeeeeeeet.
    Also has Taissa been confirmed or not? I’ve been hearing a lot of things and don’t remember reading that on TV Line.

Comment by B – February 1, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes Taissa will be back yay!!!

Comment by TJ – February 1, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it true that Taissa Farmiga (Violet from season one) will also be returning?

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – February 1, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know there were some articles saying she was in talks and I think they confirmed her a little bit after the finale but I could be wrong.

Comment by Rrrrrr – February 1, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!! I hope she’s the lead AND that she gets the emmy nod she deserves! Lily was absolutely AMAZING this year – don’t remember the last time I saw someone have so much fun with a role.

Comment by Jon – February 1, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT. Lily Rabe was just awesome this season.

Comment by Deion – February 1, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My favorite from season two! I would love to see Frances Conroy and Dennis O’Hare come back now and my whole dream list would be complete. and for those asking, it is all but confirmed that Taissa is back. Ryan said he had to tell her the plot details and everything (one of the only one’s) but she agreed to do it

Comment by Joe – February 1, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHS has one of the strongest ensemble casts on TV. Happy the strongest players in season 2 will be back for another round.

Comment by Jade – February 1, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now, I want Chloe Sevigny back, but as a main character and then all will be perfect!

Comment by Kaycee – February 1, 2013 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chloe is notoriously difficult to work with – my brief experience with her confirmed this to be true. And with Ms. Lange seemingly wielding a lot of creative power, my guess is that Sevigny will not return.

Comment by Shane – February 1, 2013 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why’s that? Care to elaborate?

Comment by Isak – February 1, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s an opinionated actress I respect her for that.
      The character of Shelley in AHS was a joke, this was a character that could’ve been a highlight, but they completely ruined it.

Comment by Kaycee – February 1, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is honestly the best thing ever. Say what you will about AHS and Ryan Murphey, but you can’t deny that this show has the best cast on TV.

Comment by Rrrrrr – February 1, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yea! LOVE her! I really hope she’s sassy and wicked ala devil nun!

Comment by MrsB – February 1, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would say four top female leads including Frances Conroy who has been phenomenal and should be back for season 3.

Comment by K – February 1, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Frances Conroy is freaking ace, as are all of the actors. Just love AHS

Comment by Kev – February 1, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really need Frances Conroy back I agree. And as for Lily, I would like to see her playing a good guy thats no nonsense like Tara from True Blood. I feel like watching her play totally evil would be pretty much the same as this season

Comment by Lisa – February 1, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lily played polar opposites of both good and evil this season she played both with equal intensity, I might add.

Comment by Tracey Garland – February 10, 2013 08:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES!!!! LOVE HER, JESSICA LANGE, SARA PAULSON AND EVAN PETERS.CAN’T WAIT FOR SEASON 3!!!!!! :-)

Comment by Louis – February 1, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These guys (ladies) have one of the best jobs in tv for an actor. Since they change stories every year, everyone gets to play a different character, and thus should not become bored and decide they need to go off to become movie stars or find other roles.

I’m glad to see her back.

Comment by Snsetblaze – February 1, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice. Now please Winona Ryder for new blood and cast her and Paulson/Rabe as those lovers.

Comment by Jinjeon – February 1, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the exact same thing about winon. She would be perfect for this.

Comment by jkal – February 1, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Add Frances Conroy to the cast!

Comment by snarka – February 1, 2013 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about this. I wish Connie Britton was available to return, As well as Denis O’Hare and Alexandra Breckenridge (always wanted to see more of her in the first season),

Comment by A – February 1, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • crappy show

Comment by nightmare – February 1, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have no good taste for talent. You must be one of those Reality TV junkies. To say this show is crappy shows you have no eye for what a great television show is about.

Comment by Mick – February 1, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then why stay to read the article if you don’t even like it?!

Comment by Kelly Suarez – February 1, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Quiet Troll get back under the bridge!

Comment by me. – February 1, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you think it is crappy, why waste your time here??

Comment by pam – February 1, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Salem witches? Voodoo?

Comment by Rugby – February 1, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thinking witches too! I think it could be fun!

Comment by Heather – February 1, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey add me to the cast please, I am in love with this show and oh so badly want to be on it.

Comment by Rugby – February 1, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved her character. Great show!!! Cqnt wait till season3.

Comment by grace – February 1, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessica, Lily, Sarah and Evan, the main cast of AHS, Don’t forget the amazing Frances Conroy. I want to see Evan like a villain again, I never forgot Tate but Kit was great too

Comment by Fernanda – February 1, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i want franka potente back!!!

Comment by neywyear – February 1, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love this show & Asylum!!! hope Frances Conroy is back. she was awesome as dark angel!!!

Comment by catwoman – February 1, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See I am thinking the next season will be set in NOLA. It is definitely a possibility.

Comment by Lisa Angel – February 1, 2013 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Chloe’ too :)

Comment by nina – February 1, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on and commented:
    Sister Mary Eunice will be back for Season 3! Okay… I admit I’m an American Horror Story nerd. I’ve watched it from the beginning of season one and I’ve never missed an episode. I just hope they make the announcement that Dylan McDermott will be coming back too (a girl can dream, right?)

Comment by Liz Coffey – February 1, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps if I do this like Dorothy: Frances Conroy, Frances Conroy, Frances Conroy. Please. I am begging the tv gods…

Comment by joand – February 1, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this series, I can’t wait to see what they dream up next!

Comment by Jillian – February 1, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • addicted to this show just got season 1 and run home to watch it loooove it

Comment by Debbie Iannacone Greig – February 1, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love American Horror Story! It makes my Thursday nights exciting, because it comes on late on Wednesdays I have to DVR it. Cannot wait for the next season. It’s been a while since I’ve been this hooked on a show.

Comment by Taura Marie – February 1, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it should take place in a small midwestern town high school. Occasional singing staff….oh wait, never mind…..

Comment by Iain St James – February 1, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like acting Evan peters, mysticism gives their performances…
    would stop watching the show if it were not Evan … ERES EL MEJOR!

Comment by Stephanie – February 1, 2013 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bring back McDermott

Comment by Lisa – February 1, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We LOVED Lizzie Brochere` (Grace) too!! Would love to see her in Season 3!!

Comment by Christen – February 1, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes Grace was wonderful I would love to see her again as well as it would be wonderful if they could get someone like James Spader too. And bring back bloody face and Frances Conroy please. I still can’t believe the great mind behind Glee and The New Normal could dream this wonderful concept up. Best show on t.v.

Comment by ahslover – February 1, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He needs to bring back Alexandra Breckenridge stat.

Comment by Robert Maddrey – February 1, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PRAISE GOD AND HIS MIRACLES!!!!! SEASON 3 BABYYy!!!!!

Comment by BeatNickGirl – February 1, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly do not get the praise that season 2 is getting…..Season 1 was next to brilliant. Trying to figure out who was alive and who was a ghost, plus some truly terrifying scenes and imagery. Season 2 was a hot mess! It was all over the map. Yes, the acting was terrific, but you also need a coherent story. Some examples where I felt cheated: Satan comes and the worst thing he can do is install a juke box at Briarcliff? Shelly? Just when it looked like the ultimate nightmare come to life, she is strangled by a rosary? No one ever finding out what happened to Dr. Arden? The aliens? Alma (was that her name?) hatcheting the hatchet murderess to death came out of nowhere! Bloody Face’s demise…we should have seen his face. We should have seen his expression when he realized his end was near. We DID get that with his son. Frankly, I felt this season was like The Emperor and his New Clothes, though I adored the Dark Angel. I would have had the monsignor lift up his shirt on the way to the Vatican to reveal a baby bump. Now THAT would have been awesome!!!

Comment by Stan Kansas – February 1, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with Stan. I heard Season 3 might be related to Salem Witch trials???

Comment by Red – February 1, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No matter what it will be about I’m sure it will be great, like the others. Watched them more than once!!!! Any idea when the 3rd season will begin?

Comment by Linda – February 11, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As much as l love this show, I agree with a lot of the things Stan had to say. As superb as the acting, direction and cinematography are, the plot was a little schizophrenic. They needed a solid 4 additional episodes for all the plot lines to come to fruition and develop to some sort of logical denouement. Not much closure and too many anti-climactic resolutions.

Comment by Eric Estes – February 1, 2013 06:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well said! I adored season 1 and I still watched all of season 2 but we didn’t get any closure and there wasn’t really any mystery just loose ends. I hope they get away from some of the stereotypical horro story stuff they fell into this season and find some of that creativity from season 1.

Comment by Fallyn – February 1, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks, Y’all! I’m glad it wasn’t just me. Seriously, I am a huge fan, but season 2 had me scratching my head. They blew it with Shelly. The scariest scene, for me, was watching Shelly climb the stairs at the playground. Man, that was good…but then they killed her off. The Satan storyline, I felt, was building to something…something that just didn’t come. I wanted vengeance with Dr. Arden. I wanted his arms and legs amputated. I wanted him to become the creature he was trying to create. And I feel pretty strongly that they just didn’t know what to do with Alma and Grace. I WAS very satisfied with how Jude’s story played out. I also loved the look of season 2, yet none of this came close to the atmosphere created with Season 1.

Comment by Stan Kansas – February 1, 2013 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay, so I feel like season 2 is getting some undeserved complaints here. Satan had several things going on for him at Briarcliff besides the jukebox. One of his concerns that led him there was the genetic experiments being preformed by Dr. Arden. It was implied that he put a lot of stock in the deformed creatures Dr. Arden was creating. However, he lost that goal when Dr. Arden murdered all of his test subjects. Another scheme of Satan’s concerns the monsignor, he wanted to corrupt the church by having this sinful man eventually become pope, which he near did. His plan was merely indirectly foiled by Lana, who helped to cause the monsignor to decide to kill himself. So Satan was intending to do some major evil, it just so turns out that he failed. Shelly wasn’t really that important of a character, the only real role she plays is being the visualization of the horror that was committed at Briarcliff under the monsignor’s graces. What is she going to do? Drag her body slowly across the room? Dr. Arden burned himself alive with the body of Sister Mary Unis in the crematorium. Concerning the aliens, I believe that the entire point of their presence in the chapter is to begin the rapid modernization of the world. The two babies that were abducted by their mothers became bright people who are implied to have influenced the world greatly. (medicine, etc) The implication is that the rapid technological advances that we have perceived within the past few years was due to alien interference. (like something you might see on twilight zone) Alma kills Grace probably because she believes that she is a bad influence on her child, and didn’t want to continue sharing Kit and her entire family with her. It’s ironic that she kills her with an ax, because the fact that Grace used to be an ax murderess is one of the main reasons that Alma hates her presence in her home. So yeah, that’s the explanation for the loose ends that might be perceived by you or others.

Comment by Grant Reichelt – February 17, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Very well said. I absolutely loved Season 1 & while I enjoyed seeing the actors get to play different roles in the second season, the plot was all over the place, it wasn’t cohesive & it didn’t really leave me fulfilled. Hoping Season 3 fixes some of those mistakes.

Comment by truegemini1 – May 20, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nice..i wish i could get a “warm wet hug” from her!!!!!

Comment by B – February 1, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Jessica Lange is back, I’ll be back to watch! The rest is gravy.

Comment by k4thl33n – February 1, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am seriously addicted to this show; have not missed 1 episode. My husband bought me season 1 on DVD the day it was available. Just praying Dylan comes back!

Comment by Suzanne – February 1, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show!!! Although this years cast was perfect in every way, I still love to see new cast members brought in. I.E. James Cromwell..Joeseph Fines..Chloe Sevigny etc. Even in “guest roles”. Maybe great talent we haven’t seen in awhile. Anne Wedgworth is one that come to mind. She was great with Jessica Lange in “Sweet Dreams”. Ms. Lang is the backbone of the show!!!!! She MUST return every season.

Comment by Tim LeVan (@TimLeVan) – February 1, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and it wouldnt be the same without dylan mcdermott & zachary quinto too!!!

Comment by Ricky Garcia – February 1, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need more Evan Peters!

Comment by Misery – February 1, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to newlyweds Leo and Teresa?

Comment by Vicky – February 1, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see more of Adam Levine and Jenna Dewan tatum. Joseph fiennes is awesome as well. Love everyone on past seasons. If its witchy we need some of the girls from The Craft movie. So excited. :-)

Comment by Lisa p – February 1, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope they bring Alex Breckenridge back for season 3. She was so sexy in the first season, and I’m sure she could pull it off again in season 3! Hopefully season 3 will be better than 2, not that I didn’t like it, it was just too random and too much back and forth. Definitely wasn’t as good as season 1.

Comment by Mike – February 1, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lets just bring every character from season 1 for season 3 :)

Comment by ando – February 1, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Frances Conroy ? I hope she gets back to.

Comment by Nick – February 1, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!! Now they just need Zach Quinto and Dylan McDermott and its perfect!! I am so beyond exited for next season!!!

Comment by greronchetti – February 1, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post