Beyoncé Confirms Inauguration Lip-Sync; Promises Live Performance at Super Bowl XLVII

beyonce super bowl halftime showBeyoncé “will absolutely be singing live” at Sunday’s Super Bowl XLVII Halftime Show, the pop diva announced at a press conference this afternoon, during which she also admitted to lip-syncing the National Anthem at President Obama’s inauguration in Washington, D.C. earlier this month.

In what served as a warning shot of sorts to her critics, Beyoncé kicked off the Q&A with reporters by performing a spot-on, a capella rendition of “The Star Spangled Banner.” “Any questions?” she asked with a laugh, after she’d sung her final note. Beyoncé then admitted to using a pre-recorded track at the inauguration because she “did not have time to rehearse” with the United States Marine Band and because of the winter weather. “I did not feel comfortable singing live,” she said.

The former Destiny’s Child frontowman said she is “well rehearsed” for Sunday’s Super Bowl at the Superdome in New Orleans, having spent months conceiving and planning for the performance. “This is what I was born to do,” she added.

Beyoncé also commented on the historic nature of being chosen as the Halftime Show performer at age 31. “It’s the one thing when I am no longer here, it’s what they’re gonna show,” she said. “When I got to the Super Dome, I took my shoes off, I planted my feet into the ground, and I just ran. I’m trying to learn to live in every moment because these moments are not promised to us.”

Be sure to visit TVLine on Sunday where we’ll have an instant review of Beyoncé’s Halftime Show and Alicia Keys’ National Anthem, as well as a live blog of all the commercials airing during the telecast. Are you excited for the festivities? Any rooting interest in who wins the game? Sound off in the comments!

1. Chicago Dan says:

inauguration….earlier this month. Try LAST WEEK. Glad she finally admitted it and hope she puts on a great show.

2. Cathy says:

Ugh, I completely understand if she chose to lip sync because of the cold weather or a voice problem, but didn’t have time to rehearse? That’s insane! Singing the National Anthem at the Inauguration of any President is a huge honor. If you can’t find time to rehearse for such an honor please let someone else do it.

• wordsmith says:

Hey, for all we know it was the Marine Corps. Band who couldn’t make time to rehearse with her. There are a lot of them, and most of the time they’re busy off being Marines, I assume.
      Okay, maybe not the likeliest scenario, but just saying there are other factors involved.

• Jon says:

She was probably busy rehearsing for the Super Bowl and with her baby. I think it would be worse if she had turned down the offer, since she and her husband are somewhat close to the Obamas. Besides, we know she can sing live, so I don’t think the lip syncing was such a big deal… just imagined if she had gone live and messes up in the middle of the perfomance? Better safe than sorry.

• Emily says:

Let me clarify on her behalf: she didn’t have time to rehearse with the Marine Corps band, not rehearse at all. There is a difference.

• Max says:

I know right!!! Beyonce makes me sooo sick. I hope she falls down the steps again, this time at the Super Bowl ;)

• Lily says:

Haha you are on point! It was a huge honor to be picked for this and her excuse is beyond pathetic. Get a real singer in there. I hope she falls on her ass too! :)

3. Ulose says:

Should’ve confirmed it the FIRST time she had the chance to sing live. Don’t lie and make up lame excuses when other singers sang live the exact same day.

• Esaul says:

I’d like to see you go up there and sing it.

• mrscallop says:

Your reply is so idiotic that I want someone to backhand slap the moron out of you.

• Esaul says:

Lol? We freely criticize those in the spotlight, but I challenge those that are hating to go up there and sing it unprepared.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

But that is the point! Anyone who is a professional singer that accepted that job should have gone up there prepared!! If she couldn’t do the job, she should have let someone else have the chance. I’m sure there are plenty professional singers in the world who would have loved to have had the job of singing at the Inauguration and been ready to do it.

• misha says:

i’m sorry but ‘unprepared’ and ‘the national anthem’ don’t belong in the same sentence. I’m fine with her lip synching I just hate the theatrics she tried to pull off. Beyonce is very much a performer first instead of a singer and this was another example of that

• ejones says:

I suspect she will regret her decision more and more as the years go by, it will be on her resume for ever.

• JT says:

when did she lie? this is the first time she’s commented on it

4. Mike says:

In glad she admitted, it would be worse if she denied something we already know was true.

5. Big Mike says:

Live, taped, who gives a flying monkey crap? God, people will bitch about ANYTHING!!

6. SJ says:

Didn’t have time to rehearse?! Um, B, it’s only one of the most famous songs in the world, one you yourself have sung many, many times. What is there to rehearse? Such a cop out of an excuse.

7. Amlang says:

She should be ashamed of herself. So many talented singers, who I’m sure would have loved and cherished, and most importantly, respected the opportunity to perform the national anthem at a presidential inauguration were probably denied the chance because ms. Knowles had already booked the gig. And to go up and lip-sync?! What is this, RuPaul’s drag race? Sashay away, I say.

8. umaneo says:

Careers are ruined for far less. Why does she get a free pass?

9. Crystal says:

It’s a sad day when singing for the super bowl is more important than singing in honor of your president.
    And to those who say who cares, the girl knows how to sing! I think that makes it more insulting. I can sing and am being paid a ridiculous amount of money to do so but i didn’t prepare. Unprofessional. Especially insulting to the performers who did perform live that day. JAMES TAYLOR, who also played the guitar with freezing fingers & KELLY CLARKSON, who would’ve been ripped apart had she lip synced. JAMES TAYLOR & KELLY CLARKSON

• M says:

That’s what I was thinking. From reading this article, I felt like she thinks that singing at the half-time of the Superbowl is more important than the president’s inauguration.

As a performer, yes, it is a big honor to be asked to sing during the Superbowl half-time. BUT I would think as a human being, you would find it a bigger honor to sing the national anthem during a historic event.

Even if it is common practice for outdoor events, it does not mean people should keep doing it. ESPECIALLY during events like this.

10. Nancy says:

So sick of hearing about this on regular news shows, you’d think it was the most important thing in the world.

11. whosays says:

It’s interesting how she thinks the Superbowl performance is more auspicious & important than a President’s Inaugural Ceremony. Priorities?

12. April says:

Can anyone say MILLI VANILLI

13. Victoria says:

Oh goodness!!! Get a life you guys! Who cares if she lip sang it. It was her voice and a great respectful rendition. You guys need to find something else to do than to beat up on her for something that’s common among professional singers (lip syncing to a track of your own voice). It’s ridiculous that some of you would actually wish her harm (that she’d fall down the steps). In the grand scheme of life this is a small thing. Grow up and find something worthwhile about which to be passionate.