Ratings: New Girl, Mindy Project and Vegas Rise, NBC Sitcoms Hit Lows, The Taste Gets Milder

Get More: News, Ratings

New Girl Spoilers: Nick, JessA much-anticipated episode of Fox’s New Girl on Tuesday night hit three-month highs, rising 16 and 14 percent to deliver 4.7 million viewers and a 2.5 demo rating — besting the next-closest Tuesday sitcom by a wide margin.

The Mindy Project led out of that with four-month highs of 3.1 mil/1.7, up 2 and 13 percent week-to-week. Raising Hope‘s double-pump averaged a 1.6, down a tick from last week.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Tuesday’s only other demo gainers were NCIS: Los Angeles (17.2 mil/3.1 rating, up 15 percent) and Vegas (11.1 mil/1.9, up 19 percent). NCIS proper opened CBS’ night with Tuesday’s best numbers — 21.83 mil/3.7 — albeit down 5 percent from its last, boffo outing.

Over on ABC, The Taste (4.8 mil/1.6) dropped 18 and 24 percent from its premiere. The 9 o’clock hour’s first Happy Endings (2.9 mil/1.2) matched Go On (3.9 mil/1.2) for the first time, while a second helping (2.84 mil/1.3) bested The New Normal (3.1 mil/1.1). Each of the aforementioned NBC sitcoms dipped a tenth in the demo to new all-time lows.

The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.33 mil/0.5) dipped 9 percent and a tenth, while Emily Owens MD (1.36 mil/0.4) was rock-steady, building a bit on Dixie‘s audience.

Want scoop on your favorite show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (44)

• The ratings aren’t great but Emily Owens still seems to have somewhat of an audience considering the shows been cancelled.

Comment by Jared – January 30, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Emily Owens is actually a really sweet show that you actually don’t want to stop watching once you begin. Really strange. It didn’t seem like my kind of show at all and yet I truly like it. Cancelled or not, I don’t think it’ll lose any audience till it finishes up.

Comment by John – January 30, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree. I did not watch it the first couple weeks it aired but out of boredom started watching it via the CW app, was instantly hooked and haven’t missed an episode since. It makes me sad there’s so little of it left to see.

Comment by Alicia – January 30, 2013 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i have to disagree. once i started watching i had to stop. i thought it was awful and i’m usually pretty lenient on shows like that.

Comment by Elyse – January 30, 2013 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I like this show. Had low expectations going in but they surprised me.

Comment by Lori – January 30, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I kind of wish they had given Emily Owen’s a little more time to build an audience. I really like this show and it is only just now starting to get good! They really hurt themselves by bumping it around the first couple of shows. I know a bunch of people who are getting tired of Grey’s Anatomy and they had started to like/ watch this show instead because it was more light hearted and everyone wasn’t always sleeping with everyone else (YET)

Comment by S – January 31, 2013 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY NEW GIRL!!!! WHAT AN EPISODE!!!

Comment by Hammy – January 30, 2013 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YES, I cried :D

Comment by Ti – January 30, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Nick and Jess kiss <3

Comment by Ximena – January 30, 2013 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YUP! I blushed for sure!

Comment by jjovana3 – January 30, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vegas! :D

Comment by tahina – January 30, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad The Taste didn’t drop further

Comment by Boiler – January 30, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesterday’s Emily Owens M.D. episode was amazing ! Come on CW ! Renew !!!

Comment by Lili – January 30, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Its already been cancelled so no chance of renwal.

Comment by Brandy – January 30, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hope is thin, but it costs nothing to try and ask ! :-)

Comment by Lili – January 30, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m still hoping for them to pull an Unforgettable and get renewed, but I kind of doubt it

Comment by Isaac – January 30, 2013 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really like the show… Only one episode left!

Comment by Annika – January 30, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we please talk about new girl? I was so shocked and was totally unprepared for it. I didn’t think it was going to happen so soon!

Comment by GalleyGrl – January 30, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes pleaseeeeee!!! It was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Ximena – January 30, 2013 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • omg, yes! It was so unexpected!! I was blushing and breathless the whole time! Nick and Jess forever!

Comment by rachelle – January 30, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did anyone else have the same look on their face as Jess did? Because my reaction was “Wow”
        It wasn’t just a sweet kiss with an “oh hey he kissed me” moment. That was a passion filled weak in the knees “well damn” kind of moment!

Comment by S – January 31, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • boo about hart of dixie #s and what about raising hope #s

Comment by ollie – January 30, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What was up with TV last night. I know Emily Owens is cancelled but last night’s episode was crazy good, best I’ve seen and Vegas was just fantastic with lots of fall out coming next week. Good stuff :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 30, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Emily Owens has gotten better since the cancellation was announced. Is it futile to hope the CW might change its mind?

Comment by Marcus – January 30, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know I’m in the minority but I miss the b in apt 23

Comment by Joe – January 30, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i miss it too!! :(

Comment by Elyse – January 30, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Raising Hope and New Girl <3 Both had really great episodes last night.

Comment by Eliza – January 30, 2013 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad now that Parenthood already wrapped up their season. Hope Happy Endings needs to get better ratings in the coming weeks and the chances to get renewed for another season. :-(

Comment by Tran – January 30, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is matching ‘Go On’ and beating ‘New Normal’ in demos good or bad news for ‘Happy Endings’.

Comment by Hipper – January 30, 2013 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad to see The New Nirmal and Go On drop. Two if the best shows on tv, and nobody knows it :(

Comment by Betty – January 30, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely LOVE Go On! I hope it doesn’t do badly, as it is the freshest new comedy. so different..

Comment by Vanny – January 31, 2013 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy Endings was hilarious last night. I hope it gets renewed! Why aren’t more people watching!!

Comment by Jessica – January 30, 2013 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Dallas do in the ratings?

Comment by Mark – January 30, 2013 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • good question. i would also like to know!

Comment by Elyse – January 30, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Series lows.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 30, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s upsetting. It didn’t have as great a marketing push as it did before. I was seeing commercials for it all the time. I only found out that the second season was starting because of this site.

Comment by Mark – January 30, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How did Raising Hope do? I’m still afraid they’ll cancel it (as they seem to be doing to all shows I like).
    Wish that Go On was doing better! It’s such a good show.

Comment by Babybop – January 30, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Steady-ish (and added). First part did a 1.7, then dropped to a 1.5.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 30, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think The CW might have pulled the plug on Emily Owens to soon. The show seems to be a fit with Hart of Dixie now

Comment by ggny – January 30, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah,I agree. It started off way too reminiscent of Grey’s but it actually now one of my favorite shows. And if it’s actually building on it’s lead-in’s audience–love HOD too–then I’m not sure HOD’s future is too bright at this point.

Comment by ChrisGa – January 30, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “New Girl ” was hilarious last night. And I’m glad Nick and Jess finally kissed. My favorite part was when CeCe told Schmidt she loved him so he could “move on”. I hope they get back together.

And NCIS! Abby backstory, the fortune cookie that Gibbs had saved all that time, the family thing, showing that sometimes you make a good difference in people’s lives without ever knowing it. Loved it! NCIS is the best “family” on TV. Glad it’s number one.

Comment by Auden – January 30, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really didn’t give Emily Owens enough of a chance, it’s gotten so good now! I definitely want to see Mamie Gummer on my TV!

Comment by Annika – January 30, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post