Ratings: New Girl, Mindy Project and Vegas Rise, NBC Sitcoms Hit Lows, The Taste Gets Milder

New Girl Spoilers: Nick, JessA much-anticipated episode of Fox’s New Girl on Tuesday night hit three-month highs, rising 16 and 14 percent to deliver 4.7 million viewers and a 2.5 demo rating — besting the next-closest Tuesday sitcom by a wide margin.

The Mindy Project led out of that with four-month highs of 3.1 mil/1.7, up 2 and 13 percent week-to-week. Raising Hope‘s double-pump averaged a 1.6, down a tick from last week.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2013 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled?

Tuesday’s only other demo gainers were NCIS: Los Angeles (17.2 mil/3.1 rating, up 15 percent) and Vegas (11.1 mil/1.9, up 19 percent). NCIS proper opened CBS’ night with Tuesday’s best numbers — 21.83 mil/3.7 — albeit down 5 percent from its last, boffo outing.

Over on ABC, The Taste (4.8 mil/1.6) dropped 18 and 24 percent from its premiere. The 9 o’clock hour’s first Happy Endings (2.9 mil/1.2) matched Go On (3.9 mil/1.2) for the first time, while a second helping (2.84 mil/1.3) bested The New Normal (3.1 mil/1.1). Each of the aforementioned NBC sitcoms dipped a tenth in the demo to new all-time lows.

The CW’s Hart of Dixie (1.33 mil/0.5) dipped 9 percent and a tenth, while Emily Owens MD (1.36 mil/0.4) was rock-steady, building a bit on Dixie‘s audience.

Want scoop on your favorite show? Email mattmtvguy@gmail.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jared says:

The ratings aren’t great but Emily Owens still seems to have somewhat of an audience considering the shows been cancelled.

• John says:

Emily Owens is actually a really sweet show that you actually don’t want to stop watching once you begin. Really strange. It didn’t seem like my kind of show at all and yet I truly like it. Cancelled or not, I don’t think it’ll lose any audience till it finishes up.

• Alicia says:

I totally agree. I did not watch it the first couple weeks it aired but out of boredom started watching it via the CW app, was instantly hooked and haven’t missed an episode since. It makes me sad there’s so little of it left to see.

• Elyse says:

i have to disagree. once i started watching i had to stop. i thought it was awful and i’m usually pretty lenient on shows like that.

• Lori says:

I like this show. Had low expectations going in but they surprised me.

• S says:

I kind of wish they had given Emily Owen’s a little more time to build an audience. I really like this show and it is only just now starting to get good! They really hurt themselves by bumping it around the first couple of shows. I know a bunch of people who are getting tired of Grey’s Anatomy and they had started to like/ watch this show instead because it was more light hearted and everyone wasn’t always sleeping with everyone else (YET)

2. Hammy says:

YAY NEW GIRL!!!! WHAT AN EPISODE!!!

3. tahina says:

Vegas! :D

4. Boiler says:

Too bad The Taste didn’t drop further

5. Lili says:

Yesterday’s Emily Owens M.D. episode was amazing ! Come on CW ! Renew !!!

6. GalleyGrl says:

Can we please talk about new girl? I was so shocked and was totally unprepared for it. I didn’t think it was going to happen so soon!

• Ximena says:

yes pleaseeeeee!!! It was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!

• rachelle says:

omg, yes! It was so unexpected!! I was blushing and breathless the whole time! Nick and Jess forever!

• S says:

Did anyone else have the same look on their face as Jess did? Because my reaction was “Wow”
        It wasn’t just a sweet kiss with an “oh hey he kissed me” moment. That was a passion filled weak in the knees “well damn” kind of moment!

7. ollie says:

boo about hart of dixie #s and what about raising hope #s

8. wrstlgirl says:

What was up with TV last night. I know Emily Owens is cancelled but last night’s episode was crazy good, best I’ve seen and Vegas was just fantastic with lots of fall out coming next week. Good stuff :-)

9. Marcus says:

Emily Owens has gotten better since the cancellation was announced. Is it futile to hope the CW might change its mind?

10. Joe says:

I know I’m in the minority but I miss the b in apt 23

11. Eliza says:

Raising Hope and New Girl <3 Both had really great episodes last night.

12. Tran says:

So sad now that Parenthood already wrapped up their season. Hope Happy Endings needs to get better ratings in the coming weeks and the chances to get renewed for another season. :-(

13. Hipper says:

So is matching ‘Go On’ and beating ‘New Normal’ in demos good or bad news for ‘Happy Endings’.

14. Betty says:

So sad to see The New Nirmal and Go On drop. Two if the best shows on tv, and nobody knows it :(

15. Jessica says:

Happy Endings was hilarious last night. I hope it gets renewed! Why aren’t more people watching!!

16. Mark says:

How did Dallas do in the ratings?

17. Babybop says:

How did Raising Hope do? I’m still afraid they’ll cancel it (as they seem to be doing to all shows I like).
    Wish that Go On was doing better! It’s such a good show.

18. ggny says:

i think The CW might have pulled the plug on Emily Owens to soon. The show seems to be a fit with Hart of Dixie now

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah,I agree. It started off way too reminiscent of Grey’s but it actually now one of my favorite shows. And if it’s actually building on it’s lead-in’s audience–love HOD too–then I’m not sure HOD’s future is too bright at this point.

19. Auden says:

“New Girl ” was hilarious last night. And I’m glad Nick and Jess finally kissed. My favorite part was when CeCe told Schmidt she loved him so he could “move on”. I hope they get back together.

And NCIS! Abby backstory, the fortune cookie that Gibbs had saved all that time, the family thing, showing that sometimes you make a good difference in people’s lives without ever knowing it. Loved it! NCIS is the best “family” on TV. Glad it’s number one.

20. Annika says:

They really didn’t give Emily Owens enough of a chance, it’s gotten so good now! I definitely want to see Mamie Gummer on my TV!