Scoop: NBC's Dracula Casts Game of Thrones, Merlin Actors as Series Regulars

Get More: Casting News

Katie McGrath Nonso Anozie DraculaMerlin alumna Katie McGrath and Game of ThronesNonso Anozie can now count Dracula among their credits.

The pair have been cast as series regulars in NBC’s 10-episode drama about the iconic vampire (portrayed by Jonathan Rhys Meyers), TVLine has learned.

McGrath will play Lucy Westenra, Aristocratic London’s sexy, social butterfly who has a penchant for gossip, flirting and all things glamorous. A best friend to Dracula’s muse, Mina Murray (Arrow’s Jessica De Gouw), Lucy gradually becomes entwined in a web of lies, lust and temptation that challenges the boundaries of their relationship.

Anozie, meanwhile, has been cast as R.M. Renfield, fiercely loyal confidante of Dracula’s alter ego, Alan Grayson. Renfield is the keeper of Dracula’s deepest and darkest secrets and the stabilizing force that allows his two personas to successfully coexist. In addition to playing Qarth merchant Xaro Xhoan Daxos on Thrones, Anozie co-starred in The Grey and will next appear in the new Jack Ryan pic.

The series, based on Bram Stoker’s novel of the same name, finds Dracula preparing to unleash hell on the Victorian society responsible for ruining his life. But he’s thrown when he falls for a woman who’s a dead ringer for his beloved, long-deceased wife.

NBC has yet to set a premiere date for Dracula.

Comments (30)

• Ducksauce!

Comment by J – January 30, 2013 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL I see my friend and I aren’t the only ones who called him that! Nice :D

Comment by DL – January 30, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so ridiculously happy to possibly have Katie McGrath back on my TV weekly. I want to see all of the Merlin actors again.

Comment by Benn – January 30, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited about this series! I think JRM is perfectly cast.

(That pic doesn’t look like Katie McGrath.)

Comment by MS – January 30, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because her hair is up and not wearing black and sporting a scowl.

Comment by Shaun – January 30, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol, nevermind. it’s been fixed.

Comment by Gigi – January 30, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I guess Xaro isn’t getting out of that vault anytime soon?

Comment by Luke – January 30, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for telling me about this series,can’t wait for it to start ,will be setting the DVR for this one!!!!

Comment by Annette – January 30, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m positively excited for this show! Now, if only we could hear more good news about Crossbones.

Comment by John – January 30, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Now, if only we could hear more good news about Crossbones.”

Indeed!

Comment by Ela – January 30, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katie McGrath! YES! Excited for more of British Dianna Agron.

Comment by dude – January 30, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s an insult to Katie McGrath….who is also Irish by the way.

Comment by Amanda – January 30, 2013 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s not British, she’s Irish and yes Americans there is a difference.

Comment by Huh? – January 30, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If anything…she looks like a Keira Knightley-Rachel Weisz mix….but I guess she’s Katie McGrath and quite honestly without having to compare her: she’s gorgeous.

Comment by Kate – January 30, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It really depends. If she is from Northern Ireland she is British. If McGrath is from the Republic of Ireland calling her British could get you smacked.

Comment by Friday Foster-ABWW (@eshowoman) – January 31, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was in at Jonathan Rhys Meyers (The Tudors is a favorite of mine) but as a big Merlin fan, I’m happy to see Katie McGrath joining the cast.

Now if only Bradley James and Colin Morgan could get back on my TV asap. I miss them!

Comment by Eliza – January 30, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, lordy. Why do re-writes of Dracula recently seem to imply Mina Murray-Harker was a reincarnation of Dracula’s wife? (Francis Ford Coppola. Really.) I like the original story-line where Dracula is just plain evil. Stop trying to humanize him. I don’t want a sympathetic Dracula. I get sympathetic vamps on Vampire Diaries and True Blood.

Comment by Amy – January 30, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^THIS^ I love the Bram Stroker’s novel BECAUSE Dracula was evil. It gave Mina the chance to be brave and strong without it being all for her “forbidden love”.

Comment by Ashley – January 30, 2013 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CopLola wasn’t the first to make Mina Murray the reincarnation of Dracula’s wife. That was Richard Matheson in his screenplay for Dan Curtis’s production of Dracula from the 1970′s.

Comment by Chloe – February 2, 2013 02:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was wrong on this, Matheson and Curtis made Lucy Westenra the reincarnation of Dracula’s wife.

Comment by Chloe – February 6, 2013 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! Katie McGrath!!! I will most diffently be watching now!!!

Comment by Deidre – January 30, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY KATIE!!! WELL DONE GIRL!! It makes me unbelievably happy to see both her and the other’s breaking out of Merlin and into new shows. I’m so pleased for her!! :D

Comment by tulip – January 30, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thrilled to see Katie McGrath in this cool new series. Very, very excited to watch this show :D

Comment by Rossella – January 30, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Katie McGrath!

Comment by M – January 30, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This also is a Tudor reunion. Katie started as a costume assistant on The Tudors then played one of Henry’s conquests.

Comment by Amanda – January 30, 2013 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder if she’ll finally appear with her natural hair color or red? The Lucy Westenra in the Bram Stoker’s version had red hair! That would be nifty. Also, what kind of awesome clothing will she wear!!!!???? @.@ Yes Katie, come to me. I can’t wait for this, give it.

Comment by Emrys Dragonlord (@EmrysDragonlord) – January 30, 2013 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh how fantastic! I love Katie McGrath!! She’s so talented. Will definitely be watching now. Looking forward to her and Myers on screen together

Comment by mia – January 30, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so happy Katie McGrath is gonna be on this show, i will definitely be watching now

Comment by Joe – January 30, 2013 04:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katie has been typecast a lot lately. But hey, anything for her to be on my screen! Yes, please!

Comment by Nina – January 30, 2013 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY! I JUST CAN’T WAIT TO WATCH IT, I LOVE KATIE AND NONSO.

Comment by CRYSTAL – May 13, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post