Pilot News: NBC Orders Alice in Wonderland Sequel from the Creator of CSI

logo-nbc-300Things might be going mad next fall at NBC. Mad as a hatter, that is.

The network has ordered a pilot for an Alice in Wonderland sequel series from CSI creator Anthony Zuiker, Matt Weinberg, JoAnn Alfano and Margaret Riley.

The project, titled simply Wonderland, will use Lewis Carroll’s 1865 novel as a point of origin, but will be built around a new character named Clara.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s Starring In Them

Not to worry though, Zuiker & Co. haven’t forgotten about your old friend Alice. Turns out she will have assumed the role of Wonderland’s evil queen, and thus will be the woman Clara wages war against. Clara, for her part, is described as a gal whose life took “an unexplained turn for the worse,” and thanks to a message from “a mysterious stranger,” looks for answers in the kingdom of Wonderland.

The CW, too, has been developing an adaptation of the storybook adventure, a modern-day riff dubbed Wunderland and penned by Chad Hodge (Playboy Club), but it has yet to be ordered to pilot.

1. George says:

It seems like EVERY pilot NBC picks up is an “adaptation” of something…

2. Nick says:

Sounds really good

3. Boothgirl says:

Too bad this isn’t a spin-off from Once!

• Taryn says:

That would have been awesome!

• dude says:

No it wouldn’t have. Have you seen their Wonderland? It looks like a mid-90s screensaver.

• Gilda says:

That is a brilliant description. I love that show, and I generally think the artistic directors are so talented with their edgy fairy tale update designs. But Wonderland…ugh.
          But it is too bad it can’t be a spin off of Once. I love Sebastian Stan so much!

4. Dennis says:

someone needs to make a series based on fables the comic book

5. JD says:

Too bad no one is adapting The Looking Glass Wars instead.

6. Ashley says:

It’s on NBC, so any excitement I may feel from this idea is immediately quashed due to my general dislike of things they come out with. Now that Caterina Scorsone’s free, I’d rather someone – obviously SyFy would be the first choice – would create a sequel to the Alice miniseries. It was a fresh and interesting take, in my opinion, on the mythos. Maybe have her and Hatter attempting to navigate New York when all he’s known is Wonderland, and Wonderland people are coming through and causing trouble? I just loved that miniseries and I think it’d be great to see Caterina and Andrew-Lee Potts together again. Andrew’s a fantastic talent that should get some American exposure.

• Gilda says:

I would watch that!!!!!! I’d love to see them do a rework of the miniseries as a series and extend things, personally: I thought that miniseries was so cool and the two leads had great chemistry. With a few tweaks and a little more polish, it could be totally reworked into a great show

• Alan says:

yeah i really would like to see more of caterina as alice, she was fantastic and that world was really well developed

• Vonnie says:

That has been my favourite modern Twist on Alice that has been done and Andrew and Caterina had great chemistry as you said. Plus I wanted to see what happened to Jack and The Duchess as they were shaping up to be just as cut throat as his mother. Also, more Charlie and Caterpillar. Nick Willing has fantastic visions. His version of the Oz mythos in Tin Man was also quite brilliant. Underrated fimmaker.

7. Jo says:

This sounds stupid!

8. Me says:

I think they are over estimating the appeal of turning an iconic “good” character like Alice bad. One of the reasons Once works is because the characters are all the ones you grew up knowing with additional characterization to make a compelling story. You know why they do the things they do because you know the original story.

Here they have decided to break the mold on Alice and turn her into what she was not, “evil”. If they wanted a new character to wonder through Wonderland they should leave Alice out, or make her part of the new characters back story. Parent? Grandparent? Crazy Aunt no one believes?

The story maybe good, but I think they are setting up a failure for NBC.

9. Danielle H. says:

Good, more fantasy in the fall lineup. It has been uber dreary except for CW fare thus far.

10. Alan says:

so they take the hero of the iconic story and turn her into the villain and then expect people to root for a new character, that just wont happen, its not how people are wired

11. Mitholas says:

That makes the fourth show based on an existing, iconic property in a short time right? Dracula, Crossbones, Hannibal and this? NBC is putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

12. mawhi says:

I see no problem with an abundance of Mad Hatters.

13. Rachel says:

Im still stuck on SyFy;s Alice. Loved and I do mean loved that version of modern day version of Wonderland.

14. Lena says:

Is it me or does NBC basically steal other network shows, change it a bit and then say its a whole new show. Wonderland vs Once Upon a Time, Grimm vs Supernatural. What other ones are there?

• John says:

One thing to differentiate them – Grimm sucks and Supernatural is one of the best shows of all-time (up till season 5, of course).

• Alan says:

supernatural still rocks, it slumped a bit under sera gamble but now with jeremy carver in control things feel like the old show again

15. mamamitzvah says:

bs’d
    I heard yesterday that they passed on this “project”.