Ratings: Good Wife Hits Low, Pro Bowl Tops Night

Ratings: Good Wife Series LowNBC’s coverage of the NFL Pro Bowl was down year-over-year on Sunday night yet still bested all comers in the demo, scoring a 3.3 rating.

In total audience, however, the contest got bested by CBS’ The Mentalist, 9.8 million viewers to 10.3 mil.

Leading out of an NCIS repeat, The Good Wife (9.3 mil/1.5) was down 7 and 21 percent, hitting a new series low in the demo. The Mentalist (10.3 mil/1.8) in turn slipped 3 and 14 percent.

RELATED | Sunday TV Recap: Downton Abbey‘s Bad Medicine

Fox’s The Cleveland Show (2.55 mil/1.2) dipped a tenth and The Simpsons (5.3 mil/2.4) was flat, while Bob’s Burgers (4.15 mil/2.0), Family Guy (5.6 mil/2.8) and American Dad (4.2 mil/2.1) all fell 13 percent.

ABC’s The Makeover (5.2 mil/1.1) was down 27 percent from last January’s Hallmark telepic A Smile as Big as The Moon.

RELATED | SAG Awards Spread Wealth: 30 Rock, Modern Fam, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Downton Win

The Screen Actors Guild Awards aired on cable, so… yada yada yada.

1. MGL says:

I used to love this show, but there is definitely something wrong with it. I know I miss the Will and Alicia “thing”, but even the cases are not that exciting. I am tired of the bankruptcy story line. I am tired of Alicia making love to her husband to escape something else. I miss Kalinda and Carey.

This used to be a great show, but I honestly believe it needs a new writing team.

• Teeny says:

I agree with all of these things! I am not at all happy she is schtupping Peter and find that relationship nearly intolerable. I like them separately, just not as a couple. I am hopeful there will be more Carey and Kalinda interaction and am annoyed they dropped the “Will” thing so needlessly when it was working them for 2 prior seasons. Dare I say it, I miss Jackie too! However, I really liked Alicia’s “f you” attitude towards the end of this episode and hope that keeps up.

• Brynn says:

I still enjoy watching this show. I think it is one of the best written, smartest shows on the three networks. I don’t enjoy every decision the show makes, like Alicia sleeping with her husband but I think the cases and the problems that this firm faces are very real. Right now this country is in an economic downturn and this show represents that. I think they could use Carey more but I like how Kalinda and Alicia are becoming friends again. Plus I love Louis Canning. He’s a character that one enjoys disliking. But I don’t understand the comments about Alicia making stupid decisions in the episodes. I haven’t really seen that.

2. If they cancel The Good Wife, I will cry like I have never cried for a show before.

3. Kelly says:

Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that in my area of the country The Good Wife started 20 minutes late and caused havoc with the DVR.

4. nikki says:

Ouch. A bad night for scripted tv. It’s sad. It was one of the better episodes of The Good Wife.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Nothing on network TV for me last night. I watched Shameless on Showtime and then a movie.

6. Bob says:

I thought it was a good episode.

7. I need Willicia back on my screen in full force !

8. Jon says:

I’m kinda upset with TGW this season. I’m sick of this financial crisis story that has been going on since late season 2. I’m tired of Alicia using Peter for sex. And I’m tired of Alicia doing the OPPOSITE of what I want her to do. She blabbed her mouth about being an atheist even though it could damage Peters campaign (which really has had so many terrible things happen to it that its a stretch to believe he’s still a realistic option) and then she let Diane manipulate her without even putting up a fight. The show needs to change because this same old thing of Alicia killing herself over her job and then ruining everything that doesn’t concern her has been driving the show for too long and she’s starting to become an idiot

• guest says:

I am so glad that she stood up for her lack of believe. Because being an Atheist shouldn’t be a dealbreaker to hold a public office. This “seeker” BS would have made me really mad.

9. AngD says:

For whatever reasons, The Good Wife doesn’t hold my attention anymore. Thinking about dropping it off of the TiVO.

10. Natalie says:

Missed The Good Wife last night. I wish it hadn’t dropped. Looks like a lot of shows dropped last night. If it got cancelled I would miss it too. And I’d like more Carey too.

The Mentalist rocked last night. I laughed so hard at the stripper part at the beginning and Robin Tunney’s reaction shots/dialogue during that part were perfect. The Red John parts wer so juicy and it’s getting so much closer. Which is good because a great many people are ready for it to be dealt with. I liked the Cho and Rigsby stuff, with the embarrassment over Rigs getting drunk and doing Bohemian Rhapsody. And Jane and Lisbon never disappoint. They were great to watch, solving the case together and the “partner” thing. And how she got Jane’s attention enough to open his attic door when she told him she was offered a job. Also, liked how Haffner asked if her reasoning might be Jane, for staying. Show is amazing this season.

Yada, yada? Nice closing line, Matt. LOL Hope you have a good one today and thanks for the ratings news. :)

11. forwarddad says:

Tired of Maddie, tired of Michael J. Tired of Bankruptcy. Tired if show being preempted. TGW won’t be back for three weeks . (SB then Grammy’s). No wonder ratings down.

12. Alienate says:

I enjoyed the SAGs

13. JJ says:

LOVED last night’s eppy of TGW, it was stellar!! It was especially welcome after I cried my eyes out watching Downton Abby!! I think the way ratings, especially overnights, are compiled are irrelevant now… too many ways to watch your fave shows.

14. Lucy says:

Too bad their best episode that season got their worst ratings.

• edward says:

Seriously. Last week with the French was average but this week they really step up the game. It was one of the best episodes of TGW.

15. Shari says:

I just can’t with The Good Wife anymore. From them basically forgetting Willicia ever happened, to the constant marginalization of Cary, to Alicia having sex with Peter (ew ew ew ew ew), the show is a shell of its former self. It’s off my season pass, I’ll catch up when I catch up, but I can’t believe how listless the show is – I swear there’s no clear direction or point of view, have no idea what the Kings are doing.

16. Kim R says:

Love The Good Wife. Even in the less exciting episodes I love it. And I am totally with the Alica/Peter chemistry. They were smart to drop the whole Kalinda/Nick storyline. It was too far out of Kalinda’s character. I’m just giving them all time to regroup and bring us the rest of the season. Can’t wait. :)

17. Britta Unfiltered says:

I was watching the SAGs and then Shameless and Girls. Shameless and Girls were both great. The SAGs were…ugh. Argo’s surprise ensemble win was AWESOME, but the whole Downton Abbey beating Breaking Bad and Homeland for best ensemble thing put me in a really bad mood for the night, and the entire show was flat. I guess I didn’t realize the SAGs don’t hire a host. And it needed one. And it needed better joke writers, as the jokes were terrible. Damian Lewis sure came off adorable though delivering his badly written dialogue during his award presentation. That guy is just so, so cute, like a puppy. I want him to sit in my lap while I scratch his head and rub his tummy.