Pilot Scoop: CW Orders Adaptation of Tomorrow People; Wonder Woman Origin Tale Still MIA

wonderwomanThe CW on Monday afternoon made the last of its pilot orders for the season — yet the Wonder Woman origin saga Amazon remains MIA.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers, and Who’s In Them

The Tomorrow People, adapted from the 1970s UK series, follows several young people from around the world who represent the next stage in human evolution, all possessing special powers including the ability to teleport and communicate with each other telepathically. Together they work to score above a 3.5 demo rating defeat the forces of evil. Greg Berlanti (Arrow) and Julie Plec (The Vampire Diaries) will executive-produce along with writer Phil Klemmer (Chuck).

Also in the pipeline at The CW is Blink, which is described as a “warm, quirky, humorous drama” about a dad who lands in a coma-like state after a car accident, but can still see and hear all. Narration and fantasy sequences emanating from his mind provide context and a wry counterpoint to the stories and conflicts of the family and his own situation. David Marshall Grant (Brothers & Sisters), Sarah Timberman (Justified) and Carl Beverly (Justified) will serve as EPs; Vera Herbert (Awkward) will pen the pilot.

RELATED | S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot to Feature Maria Hill? ‘There Are Definite Talks,’ Says Cobie Smulders

UPDATE: As for the aformentioned Amazon, while our sister site Deadline reports that the pilot about a young Wonder Woman/Diana has been “rolled” to next season, sources clarify for TVLine that the final script for the superhero project simply has yet to come in. As such, it technically still is a contender for the fall or midseason 2013-14.

Previously this pilot season, The CW ordered the apocalyptic saga The Hundred, the alien drama Oxygen and the period drama Reign, plus a retooling of The Selection and a military drama from ex-Supernatural boss Sera Gamble.

1. The CW is really killing it with the pilot orders this year. They’re giving a WB vibe.

However, I fully expect them to screw it up somehow.

• Mitholas says:

Totally! They clearly had a look at their biggest shows and realized they have a chance at cornering a young geek market. Good strategy. And with Berlanti on Tomorrow People, I’m definitely in to give it a shot.

2. Don says:

Isn’t this just Alphas by a different name?

• iMember says:

No, it’s an adaptation of the 1970’s UK series “The Tomorrow People.” Duh!

• Alice says:

I thought it was Heroes by a different name?

• it’s the 4400 by a different name.

• Rachel F says:

Didn’t Nickelodeon remake The Tomorrow People back in the 90s? I vaguely remember watching it when I was little.

• BTM says:

The 4400 people did it better than the Heroes people. Both ultimately became hot messes, but Heroes got there SOOoooo much faster.

• What made 4400 better than Heroes was that they never lost sight of their story. They were building towards something.

The problem with Heroes is that they let the popularity of the first season change their plans. I remember reading that the original plan was to change the cast each season, but they didn’t do that. If they had, then each season could have followed a diferent mega arc like “Save the Cheerleader”, which could have worked best.

• Kim says:

I would’ve liked this more than the story we got. It would’ve been interesting. Keep 1 or 2 side players (like Greg Grunberg, not Hayden or Milo.) and then have a show about new people. Also it would’ve saved us from the weird factor of Milo and Hayden dating… ew.

3. Adam says:

The pilots the CW got on their table are awesome. At least two hits. And tey seem to know their audience now with picking up more futuristic/supernatural series.

4. Azerty says:

I love super heroes series but I hope the budget will be correct and that they won’t make the mistakes Heroes did.

5. Andrew says:

Just keep Nikita! Just keep Nikita!

6. Kate says:

I loved this show when it was revamped on Nick in the mid-90’s. I’m excited yet terrified at the same time that they’re going to mess it up.

7. Ryan says:

The 1990s re-imagining of The Tomorrow People was one of my favourite shows growing up so I hope they manage to pull this off.

8. Revenger says:

Tomorrow People sounds good, what’s with Sleepy Hollow?

9. starship says:

I’m shocked they didn’t pick Amazon, either the screenplay was a stinker, or they couldn’t find a lead. Of course they only have 8 pilot orders so far, and Pedowitz said they are looking at ordering 8 or 9, so there’s still a slight chance, but it looks like the project might be dead after all. Wonder Woman curse strikes again.

• dude says:

Well, they seem to be high on it the way they were with The Selection last year. I’d rather they give it a year and get it right than rush it.

10. Deadline says CW picked 8 pilots this year and i know all of them, but there’s no Amazon….

11. Zed says:

Wouldn’t Blink be more interesting if it was based on the Doctor Who episode? Just saying…

• Billy says:

It would be the best but I already have an irrational fear of stone statues as it is…so if they are going to spin something off of Doctor Who they need to give Madame Vastra her own show

12. Grew up watching The Tomorrow People on Nickelodeon. I hope they do it justice.

13. Anna says:

I already saw that show on Nickelodeon

14. hello says:

Yay, no more “superficial rich sluts with problems”-shows

15. Brandy says:

God, except Amazon,The Selecation,The Originals,Reign, the rest sound terrible.Amazon,Selction,Originals are best chance for new hit shows.Hopefully Amazon still gets picked up.

• Brandy says:

Also, warm,funny,quirky didnt work for EOMD being a hit.And how many shows is Julie Plec gonna have_VD,Originals Tommorow People!?

16. MrMank says:

So stoked for The Tomorrow People!! The ’70s series was awesome!!

17. Cheo says:

‘Blink’ = direct rip-off of ‘Saving Hope.’

• dude says:

Direct rip-off implies they intentionally ripped off the plot in full not that two shows happen to have a similar story.

• Brooke says:

Because Saving Hope did so well in the US that of COURSE other networks are scrambling to make their own versions…?

18. radar says:

no pilots about rich white girl problems…OMFG

• starship says:

They haven’t had that for the last two years, unless you count Ringer, where one of the supporting characters was a rich white girl…

19. Danielle H. says:

Can anyone else picture the guy from Blink as Rufus from Gossip Girl? I sure can!

20. mac says:

‘The Originals’ is the only pilot I care for right now, the rest sounds subpar at best

21. Scott says:

Tomorrow People? Good grief! Try and do something new for once.

22. K says:

Blink sounds like the perfect companion series to Hart of Dixie.

23. Kresh says:

how about the originals, did they order the show for this the next season or what?

24. Billy says:

Am I the only one who thinks The Tomorrow People sounds eerily similar to Captain Planet????

25. Nico says:

Amazon is never going to see the light of Day, with the Justice League movie coming out they aren’t going to have two Wonder Woman properties so abandon all hope. Amazon is never going to see the light of day.

• Fernanda says:

Not necessary, when Superman Returns arrived to the cinemas, Smallville was on TV. We don’t know if Amazon is about Wonder Woman teenage or her adult years.

• Shaun says:

Since she won’t get much intro in JL,the show could help alot if done right.

26. warrior says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

AMAZON PLEASE CW, please.

27. RJ says:

Amazon and Sherwood, are the only two I was looking for. Its a shame if they dont get a pick up

28. Chris says:

Blink sounds crappy. Tomorrow People could be good.

29. Drew says:

I wouldn’t put money on The Originals. Klaus isn’t the most popular character in the world and spinoffs are off to begin with. People seem to think it is a safe bet, but these backdoor pilots come and go all the time. Gossip Girl even had one.

I do like that they’re moving away from the Gossip Girl and 90210 crap though.

• Brandy says:

Klaus is very popular with fans and this spinoff is off CW highest rated show.GGs backdoor pilot spinoff was based on a not overley popular character,set in the 80(which is a hard sell)& then GG wasnt CWs highest rated show.Not to mention,VD shorunner/producer Julie Plec LOVES Klaus.Also, its a supernatrual series,which is where Mark Pedowitz is taking the network.Its one of three pilots sure to be a hit, like this year.CW also wants a show after VD to retain more than 60%_70%_75%( at most ) of its audience and Originals will do that.

30. Zorkel567 says:

Only CW show I have been looking forward to is Amazon. Really hope it gets picked up. It would go perfectly with Arrow.

• Give-us-A-WWmovie says:

Totally with you. I so want to see “Amazon” get off the ground as long as they can keep it true to Diana before she became Wonder Woman. They did an amazing job with Smallville. The only thing I read that I didn’t like about the “Amazon” script was Diana being referred to as “Iris”. Either she is Diana or she isn’t. When you change the truth of the substance that is where things start to fall apart. Keep it real and I am so looking forward to it.

31. wednesday says:

@Brandy – Klaus is popular & people are excited, but I know when word got out that they had landed Elijah/Daniel Gilles if it gets picked, that was definitely news to celebrate. I like Klaus just fine, but he couldn’t carry that show by himself. I daresay Elijah has a larger fan base than Klaus. I know he’s definitely my favorite Original! Elijah is the King of Hearts! LOL! If you’re a fan of the show, you’d know why I said that :)

32. Linda says:

Okay, so the CW is turning away from the teenager, sex network. I just hope it doesn’t become a scifi kinda network. I like a bit of everything in a network. I still think they should do a couple half hour comedies, maybe for the summer.

33. Elyse says:

i hope selection and originals make it to series. wouldn’t be mad if 90210 was canceled this year to make room for better shows.

34. Jay says:

The Tomorrow People sounds like a less-sci-fi-camp version of Heroes, with evolved humans using their gifts to fight evil. I just hope they don’t have too much comedy sequences and not enough action.

Blink sounds …interesting.

Amazon will likely be paired with Arrow, which is good. I have faith that this will do Wonder Woman justice ( see what I did there?) and forget that campy trainwreck on BGC

35. Zeph says:

To all the ‘isn’t The Tomorrow People just another ….” commenters – with respect, you have it backwards. Since the original British version was from the 70s and the Nick remake was in the 90s, the correct statement would be that “x” show was a takeoff of The Tomorrow People. I loved the original two versions so I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the CW gets the remake right.

36. Louis says:

Please please let the Wonder Woman show happen. I have been a fan of hers since I was a little boy. Loved the old TV show. Which I wouldn’t recommend watching as an adult. Lol. I was excited when Joss Whedon was gonna make it but then that didn’t happen :/ Then I was excited that David E Kelly was gonna do a tv show.. that also didn’t happen :/ AMAZON NEEDS TO HAPPEN!!!!! Just felt like sharing :-)

37. Elle says:

I REALLY want to see Amazon made I’ve been quite fascinated by the Wonder Woman character since childhood. The Selection, Oxygen, The Hundred, Originals and tomorrow people all sound interesting.

38. Give-us-A-WWmovie says:

I just want to see a Wonder Woman project TV or Film, that is based on the core heart of who Wonder Woman is and where she came from. Personally existing for 72 years I think she deserves the big screen treatment over tiny TV but the orgin story could rock. Or it could suck. Unfortunately so many people try to change Wonder Woman and end up screwing her up like Jim Lee with this Nu 52 garbage going on and what David E. Kelly did with his WW TV reboot which is why that show failed. Neither delivers any feeling of Wonder Woman. If what’s going on in the comics today is what we can expect on screen, I’ll pass. I want the original heart of Wonder Woman. A film based on the updated 2009 animated Wonder Woman film would suffice.