Girl Meets World Gets Official Pilot Order From Disney - Plus: Meet Cory and Topanga's Kid!

Rowan_BlanchardGirl Meets World has found its girl.

Rowan Blanchard will play Cory and Topanga’s offspring in the forthcoming Disney Channel spinoff of Boy Meets World, TVLine has confirmed.

EW.com broke the news that the 11-year-old, who rose to the top of a national casting search, had nabbed the title role in the much buzzed-about comedy pilot — which the network has officially ordered; production is scheduled to begin in February.

RELATED | Girl Meets World: 7 Possible Story Ideas!

The potential series picks up more than a decade after ABC’s TGIF staple went off the air and is told from the perspective of Cory and Topanga’s 13-year-old daughter, Riley.

The project secured leads Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel in November. In a Tumblr post written soon after she signed onto the pilot, Fishel assured Boy‘s loyal (and — judging by social media — super-jazzed) fans that the new sitcom would share “familiar faces, familiar themes and familiar messages” with the original.

It also shares a key behind-the-scenes player: Boy Meets World creator and executive producer Michael Jacobs is in charge of the pilot.

PHOTOS | 20 Actors You Want Back on TV Right Now

Blanchard’s credits include appearances in Spy Kids: All the Time in the World in 4D and The Back-Up Plan.

1. Phillip says:

Please don’t have her striving to become an actor or singer or dancer or any kind of musician. Please, God, please.

• jalahyacinth says:

Agreed. That’s what ALL their shows seem to be about now.

• vdofan says:

“Good Luck, Charlie” doesn’t do that and it’s the only Disney show I can stand to let my kids watch.

• jalahyacinth says:

True… But… They are trying to make the star into a singer on the side. :) Even Phineas and Ferb had an episode where they became ‘one-hit wonders’ (don’t get me wrong, i love that episode :))

• iMember says:

The star being a singer on the side doesn’t have anything with her character striding for fame in the show though. So that’s different.

• Um, if you are talking about Bridgit Mendler you are wrong. Her singing thing is separate from Disney, her label is with Hollywood Records. Not with Disney.

• BETTY #1 FAN says:

umm she was in Lemonade Mouth which she sing in and its by disney, in order to be in disney you have to be a singer google every show and the actor will have singing in thier background. even supporting character!

• Jellymoff says:

Hollywood Records is owned by Disney.

• Melissa Martinez, MI says:

Even if your child trys out with Disney they have to be able to do all 3 or they will not even get a callback (Dance, Sing, and Act) there are even disney training camps to mold your child into the perfect Disney star because all children sign under contract that if the childs series fails they still gotta get their money back else where so they always back them up to show off there other abilities because they are still in a contract. And unfortuantly we r going through a singing decade it seems like lol

• Jen says:

Ummm to the person that said that Bridget Medler is not with a Disney singing label but instea she’s with Hollywood Records…look it up. Hollywood Records is the name of DISNEY’S RECORD LABEL! So they do own her!

• Liz says:

Yes please!! The best part of BMW was that it was just about growing up! No twist in this one Disney!

• Megan says:

Agreed!!! This is one Disney show that IF done right could actually have adults (aka original BMW fans) watching but if they have her trying to “make it” in anyway it will suck!!! Please don’t destroy something that was one so great by putting it through the Disney machine, just let it happen.

• JT says:

Agreed! Not that its anything bad, its just time to go a different route.

2. David says:

And now for people to start talking trash about a child…

3. Josh says:

She’s so tiny! It’s crazy but THEY were really tiny when the show started too…And I was even tinier…I feel old.

4. seanyqua says:

Will this be on ABC or Disney?

5. Jessica says:

So..the show went off the air in 2000 and their daughter is already 13…guess in theory she was pregnant at the end of the show, but the math is a little fuzzy lol. Why is an 11 year old playing a 13 year old though? Usually they get older kids who look younger.

• Josh says:

Well by time this comes out she’ll be 12 and maybe they’ll age her down a year.

• madhatter360 says:

About how they could have a 13 year old. Let’s keep in mind, this show played fast and loose with time and how much had passed all the time. At the start of season 2, they were starting 7th grade, at the end of season 5 they graduated high school. Joshua was born in the middle/end of season 6 and was looking to be ~3 in the season 7 finale.

• Jazz says:

Great point!

• Stacey says:

The show ended in 2000. The show likely won’t hit the air until fall 2013 or 2014. Very possible for Topanga and Cory to have kids right after they hit New York. Heck they played with a pregnancy scare (or assumed pregnancy when Topanga had just gained some weight) in the closing episodes of the show. With both disappointed that it wasn’t to be. And knowing how they likely rushed into everything. The fact is they could have had kids pretty quickly. And makes sense if Riley is only 11 or so. The actress is 11. The character might also been aged down from the initial casting notices…

• Jenny says:

Riley is supposed to be a 13 year old. That’s where the logic get’s a bit fuzzy.

• Stacey says:

Not if they change the character’s age when they cast a 11 year old. 13 was never set in stone. Just what they sent out in the character details. She could be playing older. Or they could have changed the characters age to make it more realistic to when the show ended. And especially since in the inital casting information. Riley had a older brother. Casting information is never set in stone. Until it’s in the final script, and on air. And even then on the original Boy Meets World. They played fast with time and their ages.

• Ash Q says:

This. The time thing bothered me so much throughout it’s running.

• Emily says:

Can anyone tell me why it matters when Boy Meets World ended and Girl Meets World starts in “real world” time? They can pick up “in show” time whenever they please.

• Jenny says:

I was thinking the same thing earlier!!! lol It’s definitely a bit of a stretch. But I love BMW so much that I’ll let this one go.

6. Andy says:

I’m all good on the casting, because I don’t know this little actress and TBH I’m not going to be watching this show for the young cast, but I just have one question. Can someone explain what it means that the show is going to be told from the perspective of the daughter? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

7. Will says:

Rock. Bottom.

8. Midori4 says:

She looks young but cute. I can’t wait.

9. nateddog(future actor) says:

She was the first person on my mind when they first ordered this show!!

10. Has anybody seen “Spy Kids 4″? I’ve heard it was terrible, but how was she in it?

11. Mandy says:

I think the entire world just let out a relieve breath that the girl isn’t Miley Cyrus’ younger, annoying sister.

12. lara says:

I have to say, physically, she totally looks like she could be Cory and Topanga’s kid!

13. Cassie says:

Cory’s coloring, Topanga’s hair, Mrs. Matthews’ smile…

Good job guys! Lets get her in classes and make sure she can act and you’ve got yourself a deal.

14. Amelia says:

I am going to wait and hope this is a good choice.

15. Amelia says:

They should move this to ABC Family. If it’s on Disney Channel it may not make it or take with the audience.

• Aaron says:

Well thats where BMW used to be, and then after a few seasons with Disney BMW was moved to ABC Family. It was a very good family oriented show, but back in the day that it was actually on the air it was alittle too “adult” if you will, Because back in that day Disney was actually ok for kids to watch. So BMW was moved to ABC family.

16. Courtney says:

Her tumblr says ” i am a 10 year old actress, singer, model and dancer. ” pleasssee no singing. The fact that she can (or says she can?) scares me. DONT, DISNEY!

17. mia says:

Oh thank goodness Jacobs is involved!

18. Amy says:

Why isn’t her name Beverly Glenn?

19. Jenny says:

I anxiously awaiting to hear about a premiere date!!! I’m getting antsy! I just finished watching the finale of BMW, and it has me wanting more! Can’t wait!!!

20. OMG! says:

Dog with a blog isn’t about a star trying to make it, neither is Jessie, same with Good luck Charlie.. Just sayingggggg. Not going to lie, I’m 24 And still watch disney (with my 4 year old of course) – anywho, I can’t wait for this show to air, hoping it has a lot of the same qualities that BMW did, so that my daughter can grow up watching a great show like I did. I HOPE FEENEY ERIC AND SEAN come back too !!

21. Bridget says:

Hold on – isn’t anyone else annoyed by that LISP? Disney please fix it or I’m out!

22. Ebay4Ever says:

Can’t wait but, shares the same sentiments do not sing….Please!!! by the way, will she have curly hair like her dad ;)

23. Liz says:

Are they still planning to put the show on Disney Channel? They air 2 hours of Boy Meets World episodes on ABC Family every morning. I’d much prefer to see it on ABC Family. That way we can highlight more of the adults from the original, kids on Disney Channel are going to be too focused on the daughter if it’s on DC.

• lauren says:

Every story on GMW has said Disney Channel, and this new story says Disney Channel ordered the pilot. So I am guessing… Disney Channel?

• MorganK says:

The show IS going to be about the daughter – not the parents. It’s aimed for the kids, with the hopeful BMW generation as an added bonus.

• Ash Q says:

I think the BMW generation is more than just a bonus. If they didn’t have he BMW generation/fandom in mind, there wouldn’t be a point in bringing back the series really. Because to the kids who don’t know BMW, it wouldn’t matter what was on -it could be any story, any actors, etc.

I think their hoping to make a family show, that’s actually for the whole family.

24. Milan Cook says:

I know I’m not really part of the “boy meets world generation”. I was like 4 when the series ended, but a year ago I found this show on you tube and I’ve been obsessed ever since. I couldn’t believe a Disney show talked about sex, but not the “it’s totally ok,” kind of way; but the “it’s important to wait,” kind of way. And it talked about things that were applicable to me, especially starting High school. I know it’s silly but I think kids need this show, they need a positive guide to show them what High school/ life really is (with some silly things in there of course) and maybe this time they can touch base on things like cyber bullying, and how important it is to not put dumb crap on there. Or maybe like I said earlier the importance of being smart about sex. I just pray they don’t screw it up.

25. “The potential series picks up more than a decade after ABC’s TGIF staple went off the air ” it would have to, otherwise it be weird for them to have an 11 year old daughter, lol.

26. Peter Rodriguez says:

eric did make the show..when does it come on?

27. Sort of resembles a young Soleli Moon Frye of “Punky Brewster” fame

28. Sarah Popp says:

I really hope they stick to the REAL family life. no wannabe teen idol or singing wannabes. Real life that is what the show was about. 13yr girls real issues. The cool part is that I grew up with Cory and Tapanga 93-2000. and now they have a teenage daughter and So do I. Hope Disney writers dont destroy this awesome show with stuipity

29. Erika says:

I hope Sexy Shawn is in it!!!

30. Leigh says:

Now it’s time for a Full House Revival minus the Olsen twins!

31. flychick86 says:

Wow. Nice. I saw about her bein’ casted earlier.

32. Melissa Martinez, MI says:

Love it!! Cant wait to watch.. I think the idea is brilliant and will appeal to the adult and child!! Especially because its casting the actual parents that played the actual kids which most parents now, who used to watch as kids will definitely be following and watching. I think You should bring other old characters in as guess stars as well that played in the original series “boy meets world” Sounds like a great family show that all ages can enjoy!!! Finally good t.v. I’m tired of all this reality crap. Every early 90s show should do this, then all of our child star actors could always have a job and not be resorted into reality acting that is only available to them now. Cant believe hasn’t be done before, I think your on to something!!

33. Morgan says:

This girl has no clue as to how many 90’s kids are counting on her. Let us all pray that it was a good casting choice from disney, otherwise their will be many tears shed by the 20-somethings of the world.

34. better skin says: